Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kawalimus posted:

I don't see that as "Overwhelming Evidence" like Orlovsky claims but it sure does suck and doesn't surprise me. He just gives a couple examples of us calling the same play. Either way, there's a reason Roman was run out of town in other places.

He wasn't. The situation in SF was a power struggle between Harbaugh and Jed York. In Buffalo he got fired because Rex Ryan had a meltdown but couldn't fire his brother for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

D-LINK posted:

Did the Ravens stop it?

I just thought it was funny saying that like they are revolutionizing the NFL by playing in empty is all

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The Steelers have revolutionized the sport by having a barely sentient catapult at QB who has the genetic makeup that allows for more painkillers/lb than any other human being alive

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

stapled a cannon to a human sized walking boot, won a couple superbowls

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

DeimosRising posted:

He wasn't. The situation in SF was a power struggle between Harbaugh and Jed York. In Buffalo he got fired because Rex Ryan had a meltdown but couldn't fire his brother for it

I thought he got run out of SF due to the offense completely falling apart after that one great year. But oh well.

Either way, I think with all the injuries pretty much everyone should get a do-over next year. It's hard to really draw any conclusions after all these. I'll still get mad at them though.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kawalimus posted:

Didn't we? Under 200 yards passing for Roethlisberger that game. Did all of it come in the 5 WR set?

Ravens lost that game because of three bad plays by Lamar Jackson--otherwise that is a sound win and maybe even a blowout.

Fair, but it seems Lamar's turnover issue is pretty well worse vs the Steelers than other teams considering in the two games he's played against them, he has 7 TOs and 9 sacks. Doesn't seem like a fluke at all to me

Mystic Stylez posted:

I just thought it was funny saying that like they are revolutionizing the NFL by playing in empty is all

I did not mean it that way

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

quote not edit

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kawalimus posted:

I thought he got run out of SF due to the offense completely falling apart after that one great year. But oh well.

Either way, I think with all the injuries pretty much everyone should get a do-over next year. It's hard to really draw any conclusions after all these. I'll still get mad at them though.

i disagree, i think everyone on the team should be fired for not starting jk dobbins last year

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I love the Steelers and we're not getting bounced out of anywhere except the "only six superbowl trophies" club

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cavauro posted:

I love the Steelers and we're not getting bounced out of anywhere except the "only six superbowl trophies" club

o.7

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

D-LINK posted:

I did not mean it that way

it's all good

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

joe flacco on beyblades

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

Fair, but it seems Lamar's turnover issue is pretty well worse vs the Steelers than other teams considering in the two games he's played against them, he has 7 TOs and 9 sacks. Doesn't seem like a fluke at all to me

I think two games is way too small to draw that conclusion--also those turnovers against the Steelers in this year's game would have happened against any team. Lamar has been having more turnover problems especially toward the end of the 1st half against a lot of teams this year. He is making lots of these types of bad reads and decisions this year. And played the Steelers last year before he really caught fire in the second half of the season.

Yeah the Steelers have a strong defense but I don't see them as having done anything specific to Lamar that other teams haven't been doing. He didn't have a particularly bad game outside of those plays.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
KEYS TO SUCCESS:

-Drug addict Moron rapist who can Sling It
-Coaches willing to do the funny kind of cheating
-Other moron franchises constantly not picking good wrs
-really violent men playing defense and being willing to kill themselves to do insane critical hits (f to shazier)

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I can't wait to see what the Cincinnati Bengals have up their sleeves

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

What's this?

To the layman, the record in the AFC North:
Steelers
Ravens
Browns
Bengals
But if you look with your heart instead of your eyes

Bengals are actually doing very well and as you can see the Steelers are winless

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Time posted:

KEYS TO SUCCESS:

-really violent men playing defense and being willing to kill themselves to do insane critical hits (f to shazier)

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
the ravens only won by slinging it and cheating for dpis, tho turning the lights off in the SB and ray lewis killing other people nearly backfired. the keys dont lie

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Master Stur posted:

the ravens only won by slinging it and cheating for dpis, tho turning the lights off in the SB and ray lewis killing other people nearly backfired. the keys dont lie

Cybernetic Arm Ray Lewis with the deer spray was great

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would like an apology for Steven Nelson insulting my child

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/OfficialShon_4/status/1329095139969675265

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

Didn't we? Under 200 yards passing for Roethlisberger that game. Did all of it come in the 5 WR set?

Ravens lost that game because of three bad plays by Lamar Jackson--otherwise that is a sound win and maybe even a blowout.

Regarding the Steelers "unanswered" pass offense, I think it was solid versus the Ravens. I don't have the numbers on formations but at least 150 of Roethlisberger's yards came in the second half alone. I think his only possession of the first quarter ended with a fumble that wasn't his fault. The Steelers didn't present a juggernaut offense in the 2nd half but when they stopped trying to be balanced with the run their offense was still extremely functional, which is remarkable.

Regarding the three bad plays by Jackson, are you talking about the two ints and the Dupree strip sack? All of those plays happened before the Claypool go ahead touchdown. The Ravens could have won soundly by stopping Roethlisberger there, or cashing in on just one of the two subsequent drives.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Time posted:

KEYS TO SUCCESS:

f

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Moxie posted:

Regarding the Steelers "unanswered" pass offense, I think it was solid versus the Ravens. I don't have the numbers on formations but at least 150 of Roethlisberger's yards came in the second half alone. I think his only possession of the first quarter ended with a fumble that wasn't his fault. The Steelers didn't present a juggernaut offense in the 2nd half but when they stopped trying to be balanced with the run their offense was still extremely functional, which is remarkable.

Regarding the three bad plays by Jackson, are you talking about the two ints and the Dupree strip sack? All of those plays happened before the Claypool go ahead touchdown. The Ravens could have won soundly by stopping Roethlisberger there, or cashing in on just one of the two subsequent drives.

Those turnovers were a major points swing in the game. At least a 17-point swing and maybe 21, in a game the Steelers won by four points. Yes the Ravens could have still won but that doesn't mean the turnovers weren't the primary cause of the loss. The Steelers had two good drives the whole game. That's to be expected though--you aren't going to just shut out a team like the Steelers.

If not for those turnovers the Ravens likely win in a blowout and nothing the Steelers are doing late in the game even matters. I'm not making excuses or what have you, that sort of thing can just happen in the NFL. But when you give solid teams a lifeline that is what is going to happen to you. You're going to lose.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-7oFIT2cUc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda cranky this year because for some reason all the talk online about the Bengals is super bipolar and dramatic, when the team is pretty much established. People were ready to cut everyone but Joe some weeks, then they have an unexpected quality win against the Titans and everyone starts talking about how they're actually a solid team. I don't see how their trajectory or potential has meaningfully changed since, like, week 4.

Their secondary has overperformed but currently is super banged up. Bates is the best player on the D and it's not at all close.

The current linebacking room is no longer a liability.

The run defense has trended positive.

They literally don't have a pass rush.

The wide receiver room desperately needs speed but Ross is apparently a lost cause. Boyd and Higgins are legit, Tate is not a liability as a starter.

Mixon's lack of exceptional pass blocking ability limits how useful he is in this offense, Gio is the only true plus pass blocker on the team and protection is visibly better (to the point where you could almost call it adequate) when he's in.

The O-line actually doesn't suck in run defense and has improved in pass pro to the point where you can charitably call them bad. My nightmare situation is that they play well against a couple weak teams and the staff fools themselves into thinking they can let it ride.

Burrow has exceded expectations in every way.

The big positive surprise is that this is an exceptional rookie class beyond Joe. Higgins and Wilson are really good right now. ADG is a wip, I doubt he ends up as more than a depth piece. Kareem has shown a ton of ability as a run stuffer and Adeniji seems to have a lot of potential (whether he develops is a question). Bailey is burried on the depth chart, who knows about him. There's at least 3 quality starters in this class.

The big negative surprise is the old guard fell off right as the new guard stepped up. Pass rush from even 2018/2019 Geno and Dunlap would get this team to a winning record or close to it. Surprising may be a stretch, but it's certainly unfortunate timing.

Joe is the only Cincinnati resident who likes Zac. I've seen all I need to see from his coaching staff, their only real positives are that they've handled Joe well and they seem capable of adapting the team to address weaknesses much better than the previous regieme. Playcalling is often painful, particularly on D where they seem to have no idea what to do with an allpro safety like Bates. I expect them to get another year and I'm not happy about it.

They're a talented but flawed roster with a weak coaching staff. The team gambled on the line being good enough and predictably it wasn't. They prioritized fixing the defense, and seem to have done a good job at the positions they addressed, but were hamstrung by key players in house regressing or being mismanaged. The team is not missing many pieces, but the pieces they need aren't the sort of thing you can find during the season. My biggest concern is that they're gonna let Zac have a huge chunk of Joe's rookie deal and I have 0 faith in him.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Shut the gently caress up

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Lamer Wackson

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oberst posted:

Lamer Wackson

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Excuse me this is the Ravens thread

If the topic of the post isn’t the Ravens, all the other posters should be asking “Where’s Lamar?”

(Steelers posts are allowed if talking about how the Ravens shut down their five WR set or how Harbaugh sucks compared to Tomlin)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Funny cartoon

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/1329510735316185091

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Freaquency posted:

Excuse me this is the Ravens thread

If the topic of the post isn’t the Ravens, all the other posters should be asking “Where’s Lamar?”

(Steelers posts are allowed if talking about how the Ravens shut down their five WR set or how Harbaugh sucks compared to Tomlin)

I'll do what I want, cousin

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

they absolutely will not

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

D-LINK posted:

I'll do what I want, cousin

:argh:

chamois posted:

they absolutely will not

I guess “kinda sucks” is a different identity compared to last year

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

chamois posted:

they absolutely will not

I think they kinda have to because Boyle was the most important person in the offense outside of Lamar. But yeah they probably won't anyway.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Maybe get the ball to Duvernay more than twice per game. Try starting there.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

base the entire offense around jump balls to Dez imo

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Run empty set qb power every down cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oberst posted: