Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVPCfPgHMgk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that's v cool

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

everything apart from the audio was done in blender, it works ok as a video editor but it's no fcpx

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jus a few things I've done lately. havent had much energy and been on a downbuzz about my stuff lately. lol it's a risk you take when you look at a lot of other peoples work.. will it inspire you.. or highlight how lame you really are...?? lol

https://giant.gfycat.com/SpiritedLoathsomeBarb.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good poo poo op, that smoke effect looks great, must have used a ton of subdivisions on the fluid volume

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
honestly I could never do good cloud procedurally, until I asked someone about their clouds on instagram and he told me to just google for free .vdb files and then I drag and drop into blender.

it makes a volume object, which I didnt know was a thing before

I dont think I changed any rendering settings to do that. cycles will give the volume a default material which is volume only and I just increased the density and colour

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im having fun with vector displacement and various textures thanks to nodevember. this one's a sphere with a noise & musgrave texture added in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kinda looks like weird teeth are growing out of some tar i guess?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Easily one of the top three weird teeth growing out of tar simulations I've seen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I re did this with a capital letter and less roughness on the bluriness. anistropy is good poo poo my friends

https://giant.gfycat.com/WebbedSeveralDipper.webm

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I re did this with a capital letter and less roughness on the bluriness. anistropy is good poo poo my friends

https://giant.gfycat.com/WebbedSeveralDipper.webm

that owns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i did more displacement stuff. doesnt look quite right but im not sure how to achieve my ~vision~

https://i.imgur.com/ugnQXXn.mp4

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

i did more displacement stuff. doesnt look quite right but im not sure how to achieve my ~vision~

is this what a sperm looks like?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thankyou

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

holy gently caress

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

really awesome op

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

This is terrifying.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
I have a blender question if someone has the time!

I have this map and I want to model it in 3D. The bottom left is a cross-section from above looking down, and there are all these cross-sections labeled throughout the map (A -> XX) that you can see in the top right. I also have the Z-offsets from the datum, which are the numbers on the bottom-left view.

I can trace all the cross-sections, lay them on top of the map then shift them up / down but how would I connect this all together into a seamless model from there?

Eventually I'd like to cross-section the overall model and 3d print it like a museum exhibit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that's going to be a lot of manual labor in blender as far as I know. you'd be making those sort of 2d polygons from the cross sections, which you could then connect by edit mode->Edge->Bridge Edge Loops to make a seamless model. you might want to ask in the CC thread and see if there's a better tool for this job

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jenny Agutter posted:

that's going to be a lot of manual labor in blender as far as I know. you'd be making those sort of 2d polygons from the cross sections, which you could then connect by edit mode->Edge->Bridge Edge Loops to make a seamless model. you might want to ask in the CC thread and see if there's a better tool for this job

That's what I was afraid of, thank you!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jenny Agutter posted:

It's actually not too bad really, so doing similar if not exactly like you said:

> Make bezier loops (I use circles then modify).
> Select all the beziers and group them into an object
> Convert to Mesh
> Edit and in edges "Bridge Edge Loops"

And I'll extrude this to have a shell that's a closed manifold.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post once I'm done :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or my worthless suggestion, once all the shapes in place, use a cloth simulation to drape something over them and boom you’re done

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
found a bunch of old renders from 2013-2015 lol mostly done with luxrender I think. I'd never used cycles before this. I always had an interest in renderers and had messed around with mental ray and the built in renderer in 3ds max since v4 or 5 (pirated of course) on my athlon 1200 running w2000 lol and then one day I discovered maxwell render and I was amazed at how real it was, and it was a non-bias renderer so I hosed around a little with a pirated version of it but I couldnt make it look good at it was sooooos llllloooowww

and I did gently caress all 3d poo poo for years until I learned about luxrender and it looked good and was free and the best choice to run it was blender so it was only because of that I got into blender. cycles and nodes were different and it took a long time until I caved and gave them a try lol. and then I didn't do anything for ages and then it was somewhat rekindled when I discovered UE4 and I needed blender for models, and then I decided I'd go 100% cycles.

anyway these were with luxrender

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
although I'm not sure what's going on here because it's like the GPU has stopped contributing to the render

eh idk. im only a bit confused because its rendering with 24 threads, not 25..

BUT I did some quick experiments, and when everything is turned on and the tile size is 8x8 I got a picture done in 8 secs. when I turned off GPU compute and went to CPU I got 10 seconds

when I switched back to GPU computer but turned off the ryzen in the settings, I got 28 seconds

which tells me:

GPU alone : 28 sec
CPU alone : 10 sec
together : 8 sec

but yeah gotta bring that tile size down, otherwise there is no benefit. usually smaller tile size, especially with GPU is worse, but here it seems ok.

and its seeming like making it a bit bigger takes a bit of more benefit from the gpu.

my old i7 used to slow down the render, this processor is more than doubling the speed in some cases

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/LameUnfortunateChihuahua.mp4

equals this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fully sick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

anyway these were with luxrender

these are great, you should try lux core render with that new beastly CPU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Tried to model a lamp that the company I work for was selling. The metal textures are definitely far from perfect (I gave up on the brass fittings pretty fast) but I showed a couple people at work today and they didn't realize it was a render so it passed that test at least!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nicely done, great work on the springs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Friend posted:

Tried to model a lamp that the company I work for was selling. The metal textures are definitely far from perfect (I gave up on the brass fittings pretty fast) but I showed a couple people at work today and they didn't realize it was a render so it passed that test at least!

nice work.

maybe you can get them to pay you to do what ikea does and just fake their whole catalogue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
incredible texture work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s fully sick op

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Friend posted:

Is the pressure gage a touch-sensitive rheostat? That would be p.cool.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Schadenboner posted:

Is the pressure gage a touch-sensitive rheostat? That would be p.cool.

it’s just a computer render, op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well the top is a render and the bottom is the real lamp, right? cause the top looks pretty nice but if the bottom one is a render that's incredibly good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/FamiliarHatefulIcelandicsheepdog.mp4

this was doen with FLIP fluids which is a plguin i paid for rather than the built in flip fluids. its easy to use than built in. but yeah that foam and stuff is over the top the way I rendered it but also makes a huge difference

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

v nice, is that plugin faster than the built in fluid system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe a bit?

the benefit I see with the plug-in is that it’s a bit more all in one, you can simulate all the fluid, spray, foam, at once. perhaps you can with the built in one but I couldn’t get it to work well. and this one then supplies all the meshes and shaders for the foam and the water.

and it’s got some very recent force field like functions (like last week or so) which i’m sure you’ll see posted around the render instagrams in the next wee while.

some of the examples are bizarre to watch, because the water isn’t obeying just one direction of gravity

if I was really smart i’d put some real time and effort* into making something cool and eye catching while the effect is still new and not played out

*i usually only have an hour a day or less to do poo poo so i rely a lot on my computer rendering while i’m at work or gfs house so stuff i make is usually low effort on the mesh and modelling front. a shame because i actually have tons of inspiration and ideas I want to run with but they would take a lot of time

which reminds me. anyone know of a good reddit sunreddit that isn’t r/blender to post anything at? more exposure means more followers and one day more merch and one day i can quit my day job .. LOL ok