Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I was definitely referring to characters and not actors. And my terminology may have been a bit off there - I’m just happy to see Trek actually owning its diversity and not just giving it lip service/tiptoeing around it like it has in the past. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

multijoe posted:

I think it's pretty insulting to gay people and trans people to carelessly mix up the two concepts, personally

Which is another argument I've encountered from trans people. Being confused that their identity is grouped with sexual orientations in the LGBTQ+ term. T isn't a sexual orientation, so it's really only included because many confuse things or think allies should be grouped.

To talk about the show, Burnham... oy vey. It feels like a countdown until she is the hero again, which is horribly frustrating.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Kinda glad Burnham is no longer Number One, that always felt forced just because she's technically the show's lead. Although given how little the show has bothered to tell us about the rest of the bridge crew I'm not even sure who the next ranking officer down would be. Blonde Not-Airiam? Owo?
- I guess Pollard made it and is still CMO even though the show keeps forgetting she exists.

I was curious about this so I looked up everyone's ranks, and think I've found a clear winner

Ensign: Tilly

Lieutenant: Jr. Grade: Linus, Bryce, Owo

Lieutenant: Detmer, Pollard, Rhys, Nilsson

Lieutenant Commander: Culber, Stamets

Commander: Burnham, Nhan (welp), and Jett fuckin' Reno

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

pik_d posted:

I was curious about this so I looked up everyone's ranks, and think I've found a clear winner

Ensign: Tilly

Lieutenant: Jr. Grade: Linus, Bryce, Owo

Lieutenant: Detmer, Pollard, Rhys, Nilsson

Lieutenant Commander: Culber, Stamets

Commander: Burnham, Nhan (welp), and Jett fuckin' Reno

lol I still can't identify half of these people by their names

Jett fuckin' Reno would be rad as hell but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm gonna predict Detmer, blondie, or some new character.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Drink-Mix Man posted:

lol I still can't identify half of these people by their names

Jett fuckin' Reno would be rad as hell but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm gonna predict Detmer, blondie, or some new character.

Tilly - Redhead who has more hair than the rest of the cast, combined
Linus - Lizard man, should probably get help with his personal teleporter
Bryce - Black background bridge guy, always seen with Rhys
Detmer - PTSD lady, has small implant above her eye
Pollard - Black lady nurse, is definitely still around
Rhys - Asian background bridge guy, always seen with Bryce
Nilsson - Blonde background bridge lady, looks suspiciously similar to another character who died under REDACTED circumstances
Culber - Black doctor guy, was dead, got better
Stamets - Blond engineer who replaced bear-sized waterbear as main source of transportation
Burnham - Whenever Burnham isn't on screen, everyone is asking where Burnham is. When she is on screen, everyone is telling her only she can save the day
Nhan - Had weird double microphones that weren't microphones, decided to guard some plants
Jett fuckin' Reno - Rad as hell, to sassy for Saru sadly

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Well anyway, here's a few offhand thoughts about the episode:

-I'm not crazy about the possibility of there being some techy solution to rehabilitating Georgiou. I was more down with her having some sort of personal crisis relating to discovering her Empire has fallen and all that. Maybe it could be an interesting angle if they acknowledge that Cronenberg violated her by doing a Clockwork Orange. Otherwise it just feels sort of like a cartoony excuse to keep the character around as a "good guy." She's more interesting to me as an evil wild card.

-On the positive side of the above, Michael's little speech to her about trust was nice.

-Speaking of dialogue, Stamets and Culber are killing it this season. Love love loved the Stamets/Trill girl stuff and today's matching pajamas scene.

-I'm digging the transforming ships, detached nacelles, and the explanation of how the programmable matter consoles work. This is some of the crazy future stuff I've been hoping to see in a new Trek for some time.

-I don't really care about chain of command drama anymore, going back to that well felt like a step backwards. We've got hundreds of hours of Trek already about that, let's come up with some new stuff.

-Otherwise enjoyable enough episode, if not particularly original. The writing like something pulled more from 90's syndication sci-fi than modern drama, for better or worse.

Theory about the Burn based on today's episode and preview:

Burnham will discover the epicenter of the Burn was Vulcan, and that's the reason she thinks the Federation can never be brought back together.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 19, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yo but for real though, you need to get the gently caress off the ship. It's not better when my Chief Science is a piece of poo poo who can't follow orders.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure the whole conceit with finding the cause of the Burn being important to fixing everything is that the original dissolution of the Federation happened not specifically because of the Burn but because the Feds couldn't find a cause, nor could they assure anyone that it couldn't happen again.

I think Book says this in the first episode of the season, though I may be misremembering.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

Tilly - Redhead who has more hair than the rest of the cast, combined
Linus - Lizard man, should probably get help with his personal teleporter
Bryce - Black background bridge guy, always seen with Rhys
Detmer - PTSD lady, has small implant above her eye
Pollard - Black lady nurse, is definitely still around
Rhys - Asian background bridge guy, always seen with Bryce
Nilsson - Blonde background bridge lady, looks suspiciously similar to another character who died under REDACTED circumstances
Culber - Black doctor guy, was dead, got better
Stamets - Blond engineer who replaced bear-sized waterbear as main source of transportation
Burnham - Whenever Burnham isn't on screen, everyone is asking where Burnham is. When she is on screen, everyone is telling her only she can save the day
Nhan - Had weird double microphones that weren't microphones, decided to guard some plants
Jett fuckin' Reno - Rad as hell, to sassy for Saru sadly
I want whatever’s in your cornflakes. Thanks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Okay, yeah, you guys were right, the second half of Lower Decks was even better. And I already loved the first half. Hell of an ending to the season, too. Loved it. Now I need to go tell everyone I know to watch this show. Can't wait for them to make season 2.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why did they get rid of the cyborg just to replace her with cyborgs actress was there something behind the scenes

edit: oh the actress was allergic to the makeup. wow thats kinda neat and unfortunate at the same time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 19, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Verviticus posted:

why did they get rid of the cyborg just to replace her with cyborgs actress was there something behind the scenes

edit: oh the actress was allergic to the makeup. wow thats kinda neat and unfortunate at the same time

Sometimes you just want to keep someone on the payroll because you like them/they had a contract/you don't want to kick someone to the curb.

I mean, if I were her actor, I'd think it was pretty hosed up to get fired just because I had an allergic reaction to the ridiculous makeup they put me in.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 19, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah that they accommodated the actress by killing her unique character and replacing it with her is honestly pretty cool im not criticizing that, its just a shame that the only interesting cyborg on the show was dead before she was even explored

otoh they could have just loving killed tyler off and then kept both actresses...

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Aside from rank, doesn't chain of command follow command/science pathways over medical and engineering? I can't think of times the Chief Medical Officer was picked to have the conn (it probably did happen) and iirc this was a bugbear for Troi at one point or another.
So yeah I can't see Culber, Pollard or Stamets being in command despite legit ranking. Reno at a push but only coz I know Scotty got the helm.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Sloth Life posted:

Aside from rank, doesn't chain of command follow command/science pathways over medical and engineering? I can't think of times the Chief Medical Officer was picked to have the conn (it probably did happen) and iirc this was a bugbear for Troi at one point or another.
So yeah I can't see Culber, Pollard or Stamets being in command despite legit ranking. Reno at a push but only coz I know Scotty got the helm.

Stamets seems to make the most sense (especially since part-time Jett Reno could easily fill the slot of engineer, who doesn't necessarily need to be in every episode), except that he'd have to run down to engineering everytime they need to make a spore jump.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They should make the ship's sentient computer the first officer.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They should make the ship's sentient computer the first officer.

A show with a sentient ship as a lead would be better.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

"You can trust me, co-conspirator in violating my oath to Starfleet and personally betraying my friend/captain."

Edit: lol at bringing their personal poo poo to the head of Starfleet command like he's some kind of sitcom dad

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The rogue Michael stuff has gotten way beyond old. At this point, the most interesting thing she has done all season was last week's episode when she just did her drat job! I actually really liked seeing that for literally the first time ever.

Just have her leave Starfleet already and hang around as a freelancer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Erulisse posted:

A show with a sentient ship as a lead would be better.

Farscape wins again.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole conceit with finding the cause of the Burn being important to fixing everything is that the original dissolution of the Federation happened not specifically because of the Burn but because the Feds couldn't find a cause, nor could they assure anyone that it couldn't happen again.

I think Book says this in the first episode of the season, though I may be misremembering.

What I enjoy most is that despite the most disruptive event in the galaxy for millennia happening a century ago with hundreds of races looking for answers as to what happened, Michael is just like "Hey, someone should look at this?" and immediately gets information that could help figure out the cause.

It would make sense if it was somehow related to the spore drive, like Discovery could travel around and get information that no-one else could, but instead she's just flying off and getting old junk from scrap yards.

Also I love how they renamed Discovery the Discovery-A, because I imagine it's some half-assed attempt to hide the fact that it is actually the same ship from 900 years ago given peoples aversion to time travellers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm curious how long Sonequa Martin-Green is under contract for. They're perfectly setting up an opportunity to kick Michael off the shiplet Michael follow her heart as an independent courier/occasional guest star and have a cheap ensemble cast continue having future adventures.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm curious how long Sonequa Martin-Green is under contract for. They're perfectly setting up an opportunity to kick Michael off the shiplet Michael follow her heart as an independent courier/occasional guest star and have a cheap ensemble cast continue having future adventures.

Isn't she currently filming season four?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anybody wanna play ID-The-Derelicts?

e: o god is that a California-class in the center :cry:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When Book is first talking to the Andorian, he doesn't have one of those "your head a splode" chips on his neck. Then when he goes to defend that Bajoran guy, he does. Am I supposed to believe that the Andorian implanted Book with the chip just before that altercation happened? I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Sloth Life posted:

Scotty was the actual second officer of the ship, though. Kinda like Data.

I thought they've mentioned that human Airiam is the second officer, but I could be wrong. It won't be Culber or Pollard because they tend to stay out of medical. Remember that Stamets isn't engineering, he's science.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One of the ships that was brought down by Book's ship onto the base was definitely a Miranda. By the way, they mentioned that they were only getting some of the slaves out, since many didn't believe the antenna-less Andorian. Does that mean that they just killed a whole lot of slaves when they blew up the base?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

No, it's not a Cali. The nacelle configuration is too different. It doesn't look like anything we've seen before, I don't think. The four-nacelle ships are Cardenas-classes. And there's at least one Hiawatha there. Basically it's a bunch of 23rd century Disco ships, stuff that shouldn't have been around for the Burn.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

No, it's not a Cali. The nacelle configuration is too different. It doesn't look like anything we've seen before, I don't think. The four-nacelle ships are Cardenas-classes. And there's at least one Hiawatha there. Basically it's a bunch of 23rd century Disco ships, stuff that shouldn't have been around for the Burn.
What, not even one of the copy-paste ships from Picard?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I hope the next season of Lower Decks has a scene where Linus beams in, says "This shouldn't even be possible!", and beams back out.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I hope the next season of Lower Decks has a scene where Linus beams in, says "This shouldn't even be possible!", and beams back out.

lmao

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

How do detached nacelles do gently caress all for an exploding warp core?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ship explodes, nacelles keep on going, build a new ship around the old nacelles. Starfleet's ship survivability* ratio has gone through the roof!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seems like it's mostly a progression of the reasoning behind Voyagers moving nacelles.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
That shot of half of Super Kill Lady's face in the foreground with Michael in the background, both in focus, reminds me of ST:TAS. I think. Didn't they do the same thing, except cartoons?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pick your favorite pair: Georgiou and Burnham, Stamets and Adira, Tilly and Grudge, Linus and his badge.

Stamets and Culber of course. Their scene at the end was magnificent. For my money, Georgiou and Burnham doing crimes can carry a lot of episodes, that was fun. Poor Georgiou, she's several conceptual frameworks away from being able to cope with PTSD, and a few more from seeking professional or friendly help. Cutting from her and Burnham to Stamets and Adira made a strong statement about the themes of this season - the support systems we rely on and the support we give to others.

Good poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've never hated being so right more than when Burnham got the info she wanted, I saw there was 15 minutes left, and figured we still wouldn't learn anything. There's nothing wrong with giving us some info to think about at the end of the episode instead of just nothing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I've never hated being so right more than when Burnham got the info she wanted, I saw there was 15 minutes left, and figured we still wouldn't learn anything. There's nothing wrong with giving us some info to think about at the end of the episode instead of just nothing.

Judging by this clip for next week's episode, the whole "using three data points to triangulate a location" thing is kinda moot anyway because, you know, space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_Ee0IkoiQ

also starfleet may be hiding something :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

tarlibone posted:

That shot of half of Super Kill Lady's face in the foreground with Michael in the background, both in focus, reminds me of ST:TAS. I think. Didn't they do the same thing, except cartoons?

That’s a Split Diopter shot, yeah. I wanna say it was used in TMP as well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a Split Diopter shot, yeah. I wanna say it was used in TMP as well.

Sounds like the director of this episode just likes that kind of shot, too

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1329375944923099136?s=20

as do I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Judging by this clip for next week's episode, the whole "using three data points to triangulate a location" thing is kinda moot anyway because, you know, space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_Ee0IkoiQ

also starfleet may be hiding something :ohdear:

Hey get this

What if

Starfleet was ETHICALLY COMPROMISED