Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vil posted:

I will say that if you can make it through Queen's Garden's without wings to unlock the shortcut, a certainly infamously hated sidequest is considerably less annoying if you've still got the forgotten crossroads, rather than infected.

Once you get the wings is when infected starts? I know I did that quest before. It's not too too bad if you take your time and have a course mapped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The trigger for the crossroads becoming infected is either getting the wings or killing any of the dreamers, whichever you do first

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cactus posted:

This is only a spoiler if you dont like hard-to-find secret shortcuts getting spoiled:

In fungal wastes, if you see a room with a big stalactite-shaped spiky vine and a vertical wall on the other side of it that has a secret breakable wall near the top on the left side of the screen, go through there and poke around. A really awesome area can be discovered.

Which room is that again? Trying to remember if I found it or not.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Infected Crossroads is maybe the only design decision I don’t like in HK. I love the more dangerous enemies but blocking old paths is just a nuisance.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only time it really comes into play is the flower delivery, right? Otherwise you can just take a taxi from one side to the other. You have to be a little more careful, moving, as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silk song is out now

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oh poo poo y'all, it's a Progress Update:

I went back to the Mantis Village to finish exploring, and I ran into good ol' Solaire Quirrel! He told me that the city is close by, and I should get my Nail improved before taking on the Boss Mantis (I don't know if he's Psycho or not). I poked around some more, and rescued a damsel in distress! She was very happy to be going home!
I managed to find the bridge at the end of the Pilgrims Way. That was a nasty bit of precision jumping needed, but I made it to the City of Tears. Not quite as popping as I expected a city to be, but it suits the Dark Souls vibe. I saw Hornet again, and she mentioned a terrible Dark Secret that I can uncover. Looks like there's a big baddie in that Black Egg Temple way back when.
I found the Nailsmith! As I got closer, and I started hearing the clank... clank... CLANK... of the anvil get louder, I had a huge grin on my face. So now I have a sharp Nail, and I can explore a few new areas!

I found a vendor who wants to buy some artifacts that I've picked up. Travelers journals, and king sculpture, etc. Is it ok to sell these things? Or am I loving myself over down the line, as capitalism tends to do?

Anyway, still loving every minute of it. Some of the platforming challenges feel a bit frustrating, but I just come back later if that's the case.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bogart posted:

Silk song is out now

Rad

Dancer
May 23, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

I went back to the Mantis Village to finish exploring, and I ran into good ol' Solaire Quirrel! He told me that the city is close by, and I should get my Nail improved before taking on the Boss Mantis (I don't know if he's Psycho or not). I poked around some more, and rescued a damsel in distress! She was very happy to be going home!
I managed to find the bridge at the end of the Pilgrims Way. That was a nasty bit of precision jumping needed, but I made it to the City of Tears. Not quite as popping as I expected a city to be, but it suits the Dark Souls vibe. I saw Hornet again, and she mentioned a terrible Dark Secret that I can uncover. Looks like there's a big baddie in that Black Egg Temple way back when.
I found the Nailsmith! As I got closer, and I started hearing the clank... clank... CLANK... of the anvil get louder, I had a huge grin on my face. So now I have a sharp Nail, and I can explore a few new areas!

I found a vendor who wants to buy some artifacts that I've picked up. Travelers journals, and king sculpture, etc. Is it ok to sell these things? Or am I loving myself over down the line, as capitalism tends to do?

Anyway, still loving every minute of it. Some of the platforming challenges feel a bit frustrating, but I just come back later if that's the case.

I don't think it's really a spoiler to say that the only purpose of those things is to get sold and sometimes give you a tiny blurb of lore when selling them. Roll in the cash money at your pleasure.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Keep in mind you can lose geo but you can't lose those items, so its best to only cash them in right before you spend that money.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

You can sell stuff, but don't do it unless you plan on spending the $ immediately. It's not a bad idea to sell yer poo poo, then run to dirtmouth and buy out the vendors. Once the vendors have nothing for you, $$ goes into a fountain, eventually. And when that is done, there are a couple end game upgrades that are very $$.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

The Bee posted:

Which room is that again? Trying to remember if I found it or not.

It's the shortcut that leads from fungal wastes to deepnest.

I'd advise the new player to not mouse over that spoiler because if you find that shortcut it will give you a very specific and unavoidable early-game experience which will put hairs on your chest.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I rescued a lady bug, and now she's back in town, and writing erotic fanfic.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hell yeah get it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

Silk song is out now

Uh, actually it's coming out tomorrow.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SirSamVimes posted:

These jokes being run so far into the ground they're below the abyss.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

??? It came out yesterday

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As you progress in the game, geo stops being meaningful and the DLC adds a vendor specifically for the player to spend tens of thousands of geo on upgrades that are useful but underline how silly geo is at that point. Speaking of lore, though, you find a couple of items down the line that you should take to the buying your crap bug, you will figure these out as you play along.

I've played through the main storyline twice now, and neither time did I enter the City of Tears through the "front entrance", I like how non-linear the game design is!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s the element that’s most striking to me in my second play through. I’m going through the game in such a wildly different order and it’s a completely different experience. It’s really making the repeat play through feel fresh and exciting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Same. I got all the movement skills. Now I'm gonna do the seer to get ore for the 2 ore upgrade. Once that is done I go deepness. Then start clearing each zone. Oddly, some bosses have been harder some easier this time. For instance malwuk or whatever it is called I one shottes 1st time. This time not so much.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was amazed how easy most bosses were my second time around. But that was after spending a bunch of time in Godhome doing all the boss gauntlets so it makes sense.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x78pX68j-pw

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I found the map guy in Fog Canyon, but there's a black barrier blocking the way. Will I eventually find a way to destroy the barrier, or am I going to have to find my way around from the other direction?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're not intended to get the map for fog canyon for a bit, it's intentional. just travel through and use the area to get to other places in the meanwhile.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game really tries to get you to ween off map dependence here and there, this is one of those spots

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just used the dream nail on Marissa.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cartoon Man posted:

I just used the dream nail on Marissa.

:ohdear:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I didn’t even sit down first and listen for a bit or talk.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Hollow Knight genocide run

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wanted to get white palace done early and checked the requirements. Then I thought about my first play through and have no idea how I got that high. The only dream boss I did was Zote and I know I didn't do Elder Hsu and thought I skipped Markoth. I know I tried Markoth a bunch. But if I didn't do him then I couldn't have gotten 1800 essence. So I must have done him and forgotten.

You would think I'd remember beating him, right?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I wanted to get white palace done early and checked the requirements. Then I thought about my first play through and have no idea how I got that high. The only dream boss I did was Zote and I know I didn't do Elder Hsu and thought I skipped Markoth. I know I tried Markoth a bunch. But if I didn't do him then I couldn't have gotten 1800 essence. So I must have done him and forgotten.

You would think I'd remember beating him, right?

Regular Markoth is a pretty straightforward fight, it's only the Godhome version that's ridiculous.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Lost Kin is generally considered the easiest of the Dream re-fights as it's really not much more complicated than the first fight, just a bit more orange everywhere. I think you can get to 1800 with one boss re-fight, Zote, and a handful of the Warrior Dreams. I definitely never found Markoth in my first playthrough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm pretty sure i fought and beat Lost Kin without even realizing it was the harder version during one of the pantheons.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

I actually found Lost Kin to be the hardest one out of all of them. It was certainly the one that gave me the most trouble. Failed Champion and Soul Tyrant were just faster, harder-hitting versions of the regular bosses, and I beat them in one or two tries. Lost Kin swarmed me with those orange balloon mobs and I had a hell of a time taking care of those and dodging the Lost Kin's attacks. Eventually I just blitzed it down with Descending Dark and as many spell augment charms as I could fit at the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I've got the stupid flower quest to do then...I guess farm geo and get to 1800. I guess I could finish doing the 2 dreamers but I haven't even got to their areas in exploration yet so will just do it when I wander by.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lost Kin felt to me like the easiest refight, because you can definitely just out-DPS them and the thing is over pretty fast. And the dream warriors are sort of easy too, the only really tricky one is the guy who has the dream shield on (Markoth?) because you have to fight him in an arena that's designed to make it hard to actually land hits on him.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Zombie Guy posted:

I found the map guy in Fog Canyon, but there's a black barrier blocking the way. Will I eventually find a way to destroy the barrier, or am I going to have to find my way around from the other direction?
Honestly Cornifer is one of my least favorite parts of the game. I didn't necessarily mind you have to buy maps, but I really didn't like that you can even manually map out an area until you buy one. Anyways, I probably overthought Cornifer a bit thinking that if I couldn't find him, or worse if I knew where he was and couldn't reach him, that that meant I was in an area that I wasn't "supposed" to be in yet but that's really not how the game works. Either way, I think Fog Canyon is the most anomalous case in the entire game of the ability to reach and partially traverse an area, but not be able to obtain the map.

To answer your specific questions: You don't destroy the barrier but eventually you do find a way to bypass it. You can find your way around the other direction, but it requires at least one ability/item you likely don't have yet either. Depending on the order in which you clear areas and acquire abilities, I think it's possible to approach him from either direction without yet being able to do so from the other, but if you go one of the more "intuitive" routes (if you want to call them that) you'll probably find him from the other side first.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Other than the white palace, what was your hardest platforming challenge?

For me, by far, it's the soul vessel piece where you have to bounce on caterpillars. gently caress that one so hard. Only reason I got it done this time is I put hiveblood on and waited to heal between each attempt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Greenpath crystal dash gauntlet for the Great Slash, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Zombie Guy posted:

At the time that wall drove me crazy, knowing that Cornifer was on the other side.

But its this

Bust Rodd posted:

The game really tries to get you to ween off map dependence here and there, this is one of those spots