Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Squibbles posted:

I always go with the interlocking ring

Me too bro.

Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Can't escape the goat man. Well done. I like the gold ring

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it worth using FARL in 1.0? I'm trying to lay double track RHS rails, but I can't get it to properly place signals. I'll put a chain signal and a normal signal in my blueprint, but FARL only places signals on one side of the track. I mainly need it for those really long stretches of rail that go on for about 3 minutes, and laying that with a personal roboport would be frustrating.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Qubee posted:

Is it worth using FARL in 1.0? I'm trying to lay double track RHS rails, but I can't get it to properly place signals. I'll put a chain signal and a normal signal in my blueprint, but FARL only places signals on one side of the track. I mainly need it for those really long stretches of rail that go on for about 3 minutes, and laying that with a personal roboport would be frustrating.

Something changed sometime between when I learned to use FARL and 1.0, and I never bothered to re-learn how to generate blueprints for it. Instead I just use it to lay really long straightaways, then get out to personal-roboport intersections, turnarounds, and outpost stations.

So I guess what I'm saying is I find it pretty useful, though you're going to need to put in the other-side signals yourself, for your use case.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Try plopping down the example blue prints and modifying it to what you want before reading it back in. I’ve never had problems with FARL itself, it’s always been on me for missing something or swapping signals wrong in the blueprint you feed in

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Super Rad posted:

Anyways I will at least rebut one of the points you made which is that power lines give you the flexibility to create separate power systems, which can let you isolate what powers your power plant from the rest of your factory, for example. Yes - Factorio also allows for this, but in a way that is a bit clumsier than Satisfactory (i.e. you can't overlap the powerlines' AOEs). In any case, in a game full of badly implemented controls the power poles are like waaaay down the list of annoyances for me, personally.

You can use copper wire as an item to manually connect/disconnect power poles from one another.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I made a mod that lets you do that without consuming the cable, too: Free Cable!

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Huh, what about putting six long arm inserters between the verticals? You can just adjust vertical depth in exchange for horizontal maybe?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait why would you wire something directly to a pole?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

jokes posted:

Wait why would you wire something directly to a pole?

Probably using switches/circuitry to turn stuff on and off

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was wondering if you could wire a building to another building to cut down on pole spam but that would be absurd.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Or they like to have neat and orderly powerlines which aren't deterministic until 1.1. :colbert:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I keep thinking I should install this mod, for that very same reason.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/power-grid-comb

What mod is that providing those concreted-in rails?

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 17, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FnF's game looks much higher quality than mine, are you using some sort of HD texture mod?

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Teledahn posted:

What mod is that providing those concreted-in rails?
Naked Rails

Qubee posted:

FnF's game looks much higher quality than mine, are you using some sort of HD texture mod?

I'm using Alien Biomes High-Res Terrain, but I suspect the real answer to your question might be that I'm using 4k resolution.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I get 4K resolution, or is that a really stupid question and the answer is: "get a 4K monitor"?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Qubee posted:

How do I get 4K resolution, or is that a really stupid question and the answer is: "get a 4K monitor"?

I think there is some console command or mod that lets you take a screenshot at a resolution higher then your display res, if you mean that.
like this: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=39763

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 17, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Not that, maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me, his game seems a lot cleaner than mine. On a completely unrelated note, can someone help me wrap my head around tileable blueprints using an absolute reference grid? No matter what I do or how I try and mess about with it, I can't make a blueprint book for stamping out wall segments really quickly (straight parts, corner parts, etc). I'm trying to figure out how to get a simple wall, turret, inserter, pole and conveyor belt setup so I can quickly place down whatever sized square outpost I want, but it just doesn't want to play ball.

Things don't align or if I somehow manage to get them to align, as soon as I change from a horizontal wall segment to a vertical one, they're all broken again. Or I'll blueprint a corner segment that meshes with a straight section, but it won't match on other corners.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Qubee posted:

Not that, maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me, his game seems a lot cleaner than mine. On a completely unrelated note, can someone help me wrap my head around tileable blueprints using an absolute reference grid? No matter what I do or how I try and mess about with it, I can't make a blueprint book for stamping out wall segments really quickly (straight parts, corner parts, etc). I'm trying to figure out how to get a simple wall, turret, inserter, pole and conveyor belt setup so I can quickly place down whatever sized square outpost I want, but it just doesn't want to play ball.

Things don't align or if I somehow manage to get them to align, as soon as I change from a horizontal wall segment to a vertical one, they're all broken again. Or I'll blueprint a corner segment that meshes with a straight section, but it won't match on other corners.

His game looks like mine and I also play at 4K (on a 4K monitor)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Qubee posted:

Can you give screenshots of what you mean? It's hard to understand what "broken again" means other than, like, "you need to move your mouse to make the bits match up".

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I solved it by unchecking absolute grid reference, and it lets me match things up by hand and then click and drag it in straight lines, which is what I need it to do. Makes me wonder what the absolute grid reference is even for in that case. I'll hop on later and send screenshots because I'd like to understand how to properly use it to make tileable parts of my base that can be smashed down anywhere and perfectly mesh with the rest of my base no matter what.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Absolute grid reference is for aligning big stuff up at big scales. Like trains and entire production blocks. The edges of the chunks will always align which is why you see that snap action instead of the 1:1 of the regular blueprints.

So if you have a north south train line and a east west belt, the absolute grid reference will mean that they will always align instead of being off by a few tiles because you miss clicked.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
For reference, one of the f keys (F3? F5?) will show you this grid and if you zoom out enough, the bold lines will designate chunks. This will allow you to build a blueprint in a chunk entirely and if you set it up right, make it tile-able.

I believe this is also how the "cells" for krastorio using LTN work well.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012
Here is a video of using the absolute grid alignment for rails: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/i0dkx5/updated_my_rail_prints_with_the_new_grid_locking/

I find it useful for rails / walls but haven't used it for other things. It could also be useful for like a chunk based city block.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Absolute grid alignment is nice for floor patterns.

Floor patterns themselves are completely useless, of course, but it’s still nice for them.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

For an example of small scale 'absolute reference' BPs. I present this little number:

6 miners in a grid, easy to tile to fill ore deposits of any size. Provides pretty much maximum mining density and is easy to use. Only pre-requisite is it only works with medium power poles.

Well, and something to fill the BP with, like robots.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

GotLag posted:

If you want to keep 20 each of something, have you considered using a constant combinator to send -20 of each of those items, and then only taking action on the signals that are less than zero?
I played around with that. It works, as long as I ignore the nixie tubes because even after adding the 20 back before the tubes they displayed a 0 again if there were exactly 20 in stock.
Ah well.
Started Krastorio2+Space Exploration yesterday and if I'm lucky I burn out and don't have to deal with Factorio circuits any more ;)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RabbitWizard posted:

I played around with that. It works, as long as I ignore the nixie tubes because even after adding the 20 back before the tubes they displayed a 0 again if there were exactly 20 in stock.

Use a constant-combinator to add 20 of each of the specific items, rather than an arithmetic combinator adding 20 to "each"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

In Krastorio, is it always better to turn coal into coke, even if you have to make the wood in a greenhouse?

Coal provides 6MJ, and Coke provides 10MJ.
6 Coke takes 6 wood and 6 Coal or 1 Coke takes 1 wood and 1 coal. Wood is only 1.25MJ of fuel, so each Coke is net +2.75MJ on raw materials.
However, wood takes 60 seconds to produce 40 wood at 150KW for each second in the greenhouse. That works out to just 225KJ per wood, or 0.225MJ, right?
A stone furnace burns 350KW a second and it takes 16 seconds to make 6 coal. 350*16/6=933KJ or ~1MJ.
2.75-.225 -1 = +1.525MJ per piece of Coal converted into coke?

As a side observation, I feel like I should run all my boilers off greenhouse wood since it's free power.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's "free" power in the same way solar panels are free power - you pay a significant amount of raw materials to produce the buildings, and then get a small amount of power out of them in perpetuity.

I suppose you could build it out once your initial coal deposit starts running dry, instead of hooking up new deposits or building solar to supplement it. If you try to use it instead of the late-game nuke power sources then you're gonna have a bad time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never run out of coal. I find that solar is better because of pollution and are aesthetically beautiful, but what do you do with an unused deposit, ignore it? can i delete it?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
now that the 1.0 release has come out I am playing the base game for the first time in about a year and a half. Am I crazy for thinking that the best coal setup would be to use coal powered miners and inserters on my coal mine and steam engines basically until I can tech up to nuke/solar so as to avoid cascading blackouts if my grid gets overloaded, or are coal powered miners/inserters power/pollution inefficient enough to bother upgrading to electric?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breetai posted:

now that the 1.0 release has come out I am playing the base game for the first time in about a year and a half. Am I crazy for thinking that the best coal setup would be to use coal powered miners and inserters on my coal mine and steam engines basically until I can tech up to nuke/solar so as to avoid cascading blackouts if my grid gets overloaded, or are coal powered miners/inserters power/pollution inefficient enough to bother upgrading to electric?

Some people do this, but burner miners are slow enough that you're then limiting yourself by the size of your coal patch.

Another option is to have a dedicated set of miners and power generation that's off the main grid, so that even if the main grid has a brownout your coal production still goes full speed.

Another option is to have a power switch and circuit logic to do load-shedding to ensure you keep the power stuff operational.

Another option is to use burner inserters for putting stuff into boilers, overbuild coal production a bit so that it still produces enough even in a minor brownout, and just deal with manually restarting it if there's a major brownout.

Lots of options.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Today in 'Hidden features I didn't know Factorio had':

The player has a hidden blueprint book of all the past items that have been copied:
Hit Ctrl-C (or use the 'copy' quickbar button) then use your mouse scroll-wheel to roll through all the past items you've copied. This history (I assume) is save specific and persists through play sessions.

These devs, I swear. They're just great. I need to go buy another Factorio shirt or something.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Breetai posted:

Well, it is safer, and it will avoid rolling blackouts like you say, but burner drills mine at half the speed, only cover a 2x2 area, and since you have to make a bunch of extra space for all the belts and inserters to feed them, you're probably looking at like, 25% of the coal output volume as you'd get with electric drills, at best. Which means you'll probably need to expand to new coal patches sooner, and also have to shift the drills around over time to reach all the tiles... so I'm not sure it's worth it

What I like to do is to set up my oil refining area to buffer a good supply of solid fuel, and run that over to the steam engines on a belt. I still use coal as the main power source, but if the coal belt ever falls below maximum capacity, I have a circuit set up to merge some of the solid fuel onto that belt. It's very hard to ever have an accidental blackout like this, solid fuel is 3x as efficient as coal

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't think there's ever been a game as serious about ux polish as factorio

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Polish localisation looks about the same as any other

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Breetai posted:

Buffer your boiler coal into chests, then use a circuit to detect dropping coal levels and play an alarm or cut power to stuff or whatever.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I decided to do a vanilla play-through now that 1.0 is released and I am starting to near the "end" of the research track.

I have not really done anything fancy with trains before but I have decided to try to build some kind of mega base so I want to try the set up where trains go and pick up/drop off when stations have a full load/can recieve a full load.
Is it just to set up cables between the chests and the station so it activates at a set number or do the stations also need to have a connection between them for it to work?
I see a lot of train blueprints with red and green cables set up but I never really got into the whole circuits bit outside of managing single inserters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just hit nuclear for the first time ever, it's really fun. Seeing all that excess power and the limitless possibilities I have to expand is a breath of fresh air. But I stupidly wasted 2 nuclear fuel when setting up my new reactor area because of autofill, so the reactors were just burning without anything set up. I'm now scratching my head trying to figure out how to set up a circuit network to only ever feed a single fuel cell into the reactors whenever steam gets below a certain point, but I'm having no luck. My car also got blown up by a train and I lost tonnes of good stuff.