Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

Judging by this clip for next week's episode, the whole "using three data points to triangulate a location" thing is kinda moot anyway because, you know, space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_Ee0IkoiQ

also starfleet may be hiding something :ohdear:

Aw that's bullshit anyway. If they could narrow it down to a cylinder about the width of a lightyear it would narrow it down to just a few hundred systems. The galaxy is razor thin compared to the width.

Also I loved the bit where Michael was gathering the parts to make a weapon that whole time. Felt like a Rick and Morty joke where they're just operating on another level from the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just started episode and holy poo poo Michael is the most self-centered person in the galaxy. She has no sense of perspective or self-control, I know it generally ends up being the thing that has to happen because they wrote it be so, but drat, Saru deserves a better number one.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey get this

What if

Starfleet was ETHICALLY COMPROMISED

Fucccccck I hope not.

It seemed like that was where they might be going at first, but then after they decided they could trust Discovery and started throwing cool poo poo at them I figured it was a misdirect and Starfleet was actually still good.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Couldn't wait 12 loving hours when a civilization depended on it, Saru taps out one word at a time on the personnel review

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it really Star Trek without a dodgy admiral though?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is Burnham an admiral now?

I hated her leaving with evil space lady, but I mean, if this was it's own show I'd watch it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I kinda doubt they’ll reveal that Modern Starfleet is bad and evil, but we are 100% going to find out that a former Federation world caused The Burn and the people in charge 100+ years ago hid the truth out of shame. I’m almost willing to put money on it being Vulcan.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I appreciate that they named the ship going on that 2-month supply run the Le Guin.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think Burnham is particularly irritating this season because she keeps going on about how she believes in Starfleet’s principles despite the fact she has demonstrated on more than one occasion that she clearly doesn’t.

The Federation is supposed to be about people of different origins working towards a shared goal and ideals but Burnham from day one has had the attitude of “I’m right, gently caress what everyone else thinks.” She sucks bad and is now actively dragging the show down.

I hope she actually learns from this but the preview doesn’t give me much hope.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda doubt they’ll reveal that Modern Starfleet is bad and evil, but we are 100% going to find out that a former Federation world caused The Burn and the people in charge 100+ years ago hid the truth out of shame. I’m almost willing to put money on it being Vulcan.

"Ah poo poo...uhhhh....anyone know what the Romulans are up to?"

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Going by the preview and episode name, next week is the Vulcan and probably Romulan episode. And it looks like all three Unifications will wind up having Spock in them to some capacity!

I keep calling the engineer Janet Reno for Christ's sake, help me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it really Star Trek without a dodgy admiral though?

This made me think the admiral we're dealing with was going to go dodgy this episode, but if he's supposed to admiral shady he's relatively restrained so far for an Bad Trek Admiral. I guess Lorca was maybe restrained more at the beginning too, forget.

Happy Saru fired Burnham, wonder who fills it. Somehow I don't think demotion will stop Burnham running off to her side-gig as a merciless chaotic-good space marauder.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Overall I liked this episode. Wasn't perfect but they're getting back to having fun space adventures, and they're finally getting around to obtaining some 32nd century tech. And, as always, I have nitpicks and questions.

- How did Book know where to send his ship? The Disco crew didn't even know where Fed HQ was until something like two episodes after Book left.
- Book recorded his holo message three weeks ago... and his ship would go deliver it if he didn't return in 24 hours... and then they use that same ship to go back to where it just came from... in well under six hours. I might guess that it had been automatically following Discovery's warp signature or something and so had to retrace their entire route, but they used the spore drive for everything. What was the ship doing for all that time?
- Grudge is a great cat, but she's acting pretty friendly so the angry meows they dubbed in for her were a little silly.
- Michael had her own ship when she was couriering around with Book? What happened to it?
- drat it, Michael and Book had a perfectly good "Mal and Zoe" relationship going there, and then they had to ruin it by having them kiss.
- Wouldn't it be a good idea for Stamets to at least test out the goop interface before having his arm thingies removed?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

When Book is first talking to the Andorian, he doesn't have one of those "your head a splode" chips on his neck. Then when he goes to defend that Bajoran guy, he does. Am I supposed to believe that the Andorian implanted Book with the chip just before that altercation happened? I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

Oh wow, I didn't notice him having it. I only noticed initially to see that he didn't have it, and thought he just hadn't gotten into enough trouble to get one or whatever. When/how did they get those off?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

This made me think the admiral we're dealing with was going to go dodgy this episode, but if he's supposed to admiral shady he's relatively restrained so far for an Bad Trek Admiral. I guess Lorca was maybe restrained more at the beginning too, forget.

Happy Saru fired Burnham, wonder who fills it. Somehow I don't think demotion will stop Burnham running off to her side-gig as a merciless chaotic-good space marauder.

Admiral Clancy in Picard is a good swerve on the "Evil Starfleet Admiral" trope too. Turns out she just doesn't like Picard in general because she thinks, with good reason, that he's kind of an rear end in a top hat and just walked in the door demanding the whole world with jack poo poo to prove his claims, and then when she finally does get proof that he's right she goes all in on helping him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, people whined about that scene a bunch but I liked her and she ended up being cool, just not an rear end-kisser.

I've seen a few people mention Voyager's variable ship but I don't remember that ever coming up?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, people whined about that scene a bunch but I liked her and she ended up being cool, just not an rear end-kisser.

I've seen a few people mention Voyager's variable ship but I don't remember that ever coming up?

I don't think it was ever explained in the show, it's a tech manual nerd thing

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Khanstant posted:

They're talking about how the nacelles on Voyager tilted up when it went to warp.

Supposedly it helped them go past Warp 5 without breaking subspace or something like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Supposedly it helped them go past Warp 5 without breaking subspace or something like that.

That was what some of the background material for the writers suggested but there was no actual reason ever given in-show.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

That was what some of the background material for the writers suggested but there was no actual reason ever given in-show.

Would've taken time away from "Bio-Neural Gel Packs".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My sperg-alarm went off when I saw that they added an 'A' to the registry number of a ship that isn't a new ship

I think someone had theorized last week in here that Georgiou's health issue has something to do with her being out of her own universe for too long. That combined with the fact that David Cronenberg mentioned how the MU had become 'further away' from the Prime universe over the last 900 years. It has to be one of those.

I enjoyed seeing the TNG-era phaser in the 'junk pile', along with some older Klingon uniform emblems, and Georgiou mentioning that she wanted late 24th century self-sealing stem bolts

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

My sperg-alarm went off when I saw that they added an 'A' to the registry number of a ship that isn't a new ship

I think there’s precedent for it in that the original 1701-A was a Constitution they renamed in honor of the Enterprise crew saving earth from the probe.

That may be from the novelization though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think there’s precedent for it in that the original 1701-A was a Constitution they renamed in honor of the Enterprise crew saving earth from the probe.

That may be from the novelization though.

Wasn't the original Enterprise-A just the actual Enterprise after a complete refit?

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think someone had theorized last week in here that Georgiou's health issue has something to do with her being out of her own universe for too long. That combined with the fact that David Cronenberg mentioned how the MU had become 'further away' from the Prime universe over the last 900 years. It has to be one of those.

I enjoyed seeing the TNG-era phaser in the 'junk pile', along with some older Klingon uniform emblems, and Georgiou mentioning that she wanted late 24th century self-sealing stem bolts

Yeah I had a feeling it will go that way.

Also I have a feeling that the burn thing will have to do with the Preservers, the first humanoid race that seeded the galaxy with intelligent humanoid life. In STO and in the original series their tech had a weird sound element.

Why they do it? The Federation made the galaxy boring so screw them up for fun and profit!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the original Enterprise-A just the actual Enterprise after a complete refit?

Unless I'm mixing things up, you had...

• NCC-1701, from TOS
  • NCC-1701, refit, from TMP, destroyed in SFS
  • NCC-1701-A, awarded to the crew after they saved the whales
  • NCC-1701-B, an Excelsior class ship
  • NCC-1701-C, which was yesterday's Enterprise
  • NCC-1701-D, a ship that answered the question, what if a ship was made out of curves?
  • NCC-1701-E, which I never understood the hate for, but meh.
  • NCC-1701-J, which I've never seen a good depiction of. But, what little I saw wasn't very great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No the Enterprise was refit but still called 1701 and then the 1701-A was a new ship after the original was destroyed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tarlibone posted:

• NCC-1701-J, which I've never seen a good depiction of. But, what little I saw wasn't very great.

It looks like the NX-Enterprise, but sillier.

Cojawfee posted:

No the Enterprise was refit but still called 1701 and then the 1701-A was a new ship after the original was destroyed.

Ahh, gotcha :hmmyes:.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

That looks like a mental health issue to me. Georgiou doesn't have the coping mechanisms for PTSD, and she certainly doesn't have the ability to seek or accept help, and she's stuck freezing up in a crisis until she makes a move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tarlibone posted:

• NCC-1701, from TOS
  • NCC-1701, refit, from TMP, destroyed in SFS
  • NCC-1701-A, awarded to the crew after they saved the whales
  • NCC-1701-B, an Excelsior class ship
  • NCC-1701-C, which was yesterday's Enterprise
  • NCC-1701-D, a ship that answered the question, what if a ship was made out of curves?
  • NCC-1701-E, which I never understood the hate for, but meh.

There's also the quasi-canon NCC-1701-F from Star Trek Online.

The A was actually the USS Yorktown but hastily re-chrisented the Enterprise-A.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
They called the kitty fat :(

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Linus is a treasure and I love him.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

nine-gear crow posted:

There's also the quasi-canon NCC-1701-F from Star Trek Online.

I'm pretty much expecting Cpt. Worf to cameo in season 2 of lower decks, and I reckon it's a toss up between whether he will appear on the bridge of the E or the F.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of don't because I'm tired of him constantly trying to get a captain worf show going.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think they've said the -E is still kicking around although I wouldn't totally be opposed to bringing in the -F

FlamingLiberal posted:

You could make an argument that its refit into a 32nd century ship is so significant that it falls under 'close enough' to being a new ship, but I think the more important factor is that Starfleet records list the NCC-1031 as destroyed in 2258.

So they've recommissioned it instead of updating it's old record.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I kind of don't because I'm tired of him constantly trying to get a captain worf show going.

Having seen Picard, without even changing a line of dialogue, not even the names, it would absolutely be better if Worf replaced Picard.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Have the -D show up and make absolutely no comment on it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gelf posted:

I'm pretty much expecting Cpt. Worf to cameo in season 2 of lower decks, and I reckon it's a toss up between whether he will appear on the bridge of the E or the F.

Lower Decks takes place one year after Nemesis and long before the Romulan crisis, Picard is still captain of the Enterprise-E.

Seemlar posted:

You could make an argument that its refit into a 32nd century ship is so significant that it falls under 'close enough' to being a new ship, but I think the more important factor is that Starfleet records list the NCC-1031 as destroyed in 2258.

So they've recommissioned it instead of updating it's old record.

The latter is the better fanwank: the original Enterprise was refitted just as heavily into basically a new ship and still didn't get an A. I suspect they're going to establish the former, though. They'll probably say that Voyager-J is Voyager after 11 refits too, it was wierd the way they phrased it as 'eleven generations of evolution' rather than 'eleven generations of ship'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 20, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cross-Section posted:

Judging by this clip for next week's episode, the whole "using three data points to triangulate a location" thing is kinda moot anyway because, you know, space

Dr. Daniel Jackson taught me that you need 7 points to chart a course in 3 dimensional space, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf2_5SwaL8

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Dr. Daniel Jackson taught me that you need 7 points to chart a course in 3 dimensional space, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf2_5SwaL8

It's not just 3 points in space. It is 3 points plus a time stamp.

They should be able to triangulate a 'line' or corridor of space perpendicular to the plane which represents the intersection of the 3 spheres around the coordinates.

They just need one more piece of information.

So Nhan is officially out of the opening credits, and Cleveland Booker is in her same spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Looking forward to Discovery spore jumping next episode and leaving its detached nacelles floating in empty space.

mllaneza posted:

That looks like a mental health issue to me. Georgiou doesn't have the coping mechanisms for PTSD, and she certainly doesn't have the ability to seek or accept help, and she's stuck freezing up in a crisis until she makes a move.

I agree, and I suspect it has something to do with killing a family member (mother? sister?) given what I caught of the flashes. That said, it's still highly suspicious for it to start shortly after her interrogation scene with Cronenberg. Whether his methods were psychological or technological, he got inside her head.