Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Finally started watching Star Trek: Discovery after multiple recommendations. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but the one big issue I have is with the pilot episode and how all the ramifications on the main character keep coming back to it: (1st episode spoilers only)The scrambled Klingon ship was in Federation space, the Klingon warrior attacked first, and the Klingons fired first, so why does everyone in the Federation keep acting like Michael is solely responsible for it? I felt like the mutiny was enough for her to be shunned by people, but she even says herself that she's the reason the war started. Nobody in the entire Federation investigated the details of this? Other than that I really like it, it's just annoying whenever they bring up that plot point, because it's not what happened.

It doesn't make sense and they just plow forward like it does, there is never a better explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished e4 of Haven. Just the kind of show I was looking for :allears:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Finished s1 of Utopia on Prime. I liked it as a fun little action/mystery show. Plotwise it's a little slow out of the gate but after that things happen at a reasonable pace.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out the OG british version on Prime as well. The music and cinematography make it very different and stylish.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So I've got eight episodes of Rescue Me left. The first four seasons were all really solid and flowed together well. Season five was where it seemed to start to fall apart, because it seems like half the stuff before that point is just kinda forgotten about, plot lines are introduced and abruptly dropped, characters do things you couldn't see them doing before and so on, all of which I kinda anticipated when I saw the season was nearly double length. Still though, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Season six was pretty meh, not offensively bad by any means (to me at least) but sadly more aligned with season five than the earlier ones. The last episode of that season also didn't seem like a season finale at all. Quite the opposite in fact, it seemed like the start of season seven and I thought I may have accidentally skipped an episode.

I'm a little burned out on it now but I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow. It's starting to drag a little bit, which I'm sure is partly from the burnout, but once I'm done I'm sure I'll miss these characters, unless these last eight episodes go Dexter-level bad and completely derail them. I can definitely see rewatching the earlier seasons if nothing else.

One early season thing that kinda annoyed me though, was the sister that was introduced and then promptly dropped. At least they mention her a couple of times after unlike some other shows, but why even bother introducing the character if you're not gonna do more than mention her once or twice. Was her entire purpose just to get Sean and Maggie brought back together (for a marriage that just lasted a season), or was there more planned for her? I mean, even the whole "Gavin's know sign language" thing doesn't even end up being important, at least not yet, and I highly doubt it will be. They saved some deaf people, but Tommy didn't sign to them, all he did was say "Yeah, he's deaf, I can tell cause I got a deaf sister."

Also it's hilarious the writers failed the math so badly when it comes to Tommy and Janet's kids. They keep mentioning how Janet was pregnant with Colleen when she and Tommy were 17, but Colleen doesn't turn 18 til the fourth or fifth season and it's said numerous times the two of them are in their mid forties. Gotta love writer's room math.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every plot revolving around Colleen could have been chopped and nothing of value would have been lost.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

It doesn't make sense and they just plow forward like it does, there is never a better explanation.

Yeah, I finished S1 and started on S2, and I'm really seeing a lack of letting big moments breathe. I like the show otherwise, but S1's pacing was absolutely breakneck. S2 seems a little more sensibly paced though, and I really like Anson Mount's addition to the cast.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Every plot revolving around Colleen could have been chopped and nothing of value would have been lost.

Seriously, probably one of my least favorite characters on the show. Her getting more prominence seems to also overlap with the decline in quality, now that I think about it. I'm not saying it's the sole cause but it sure as hell don't help.

Also, just my opinion, but I think Janet and Franco should have been written out of the show at the end of season four somehow. Both were very prominent before then, and since that finale they've done gently caress all. Janet's story is literally just retread after retread. Franco's love interest at the end of season four has just sort of disappeared, and he hasn't even mentioned her or his daughter since then. Mike prolly should have gone too because that band side story was hot garbage and obviously just Denis Leary writing in his buddy's real life band for some free promotion. I also found it hilarious how the baby didn't even appear in season five and you could count the amount of times he was mentioned on one hand. Really, season five dropped so many plotlines, I bet you could skip most of it and still understand what's going on.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Just finished Rescue Me about five minutes ago. Alright, so maybe it's just because it's so fresh on my mind and I haven't ruminated on it very long, but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be given all the bad stuff I've heard over the years, but I get the disappointment. Despite being the final season it didn't really have a sense of finality to it. Felt like to me they wrote this season, got to the last episode and realized "Hey, this is the last episode, so we need to make it special" and just stitched together a bunch of things you'd see when a series ends (ie Lou dying, Janet giving birth, Tommy deciding to retire but Janet telling him he shouldn't because reasons, the crew splitting but deciding last second to stay together because of Lou's letter, Franco getting that promotion he mentioned wanting a few times a long time ago and only recently brought up again, the final scene mirroring the very first one, Lou replacing Jimmy as Tommy's ghost pal, so on and so forth). I didn't hate it like I thought I would, but I had the benefit of not waiting between episodes, so I can see why it would have bothered people who followed for years and waited week to week.

Overall I'd recommend Rescue Me, but my advice would be to stop at season four's ending. I'm not normally one to recommend that except in extreme cases, and while this didn't get as bad as some stuff I've watched over the years, by that point you'll have experienced all it has to offer. Past that it just gets redundant and becomes a bit of a slog at some points. Every single thing they do past that point is retreading territory the first four seasons covered, and what isn't is not worth it and I assure you probably gets dropped like a hot potato at the first opportunity. If I ever rewatch it, which I definitely see doing, that's probably where I'll stop.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Watched Woke over the course of this past week, and really enjoyed it. The best analog to it is probably Shrill, in that it tries to broadly tackle a topic (in this case, how an individual copes with systemic racism and becoming forcefully woke) while establishing a sort of broadly low-key universe full of pretty amusing characters. My wife didn't like it as much as Shrill, mostly because the first several eps sort of have Keef learning the same lessons over and over, but I thought it was solid. The level of handling racism isn't quite as deep as, say, Dear White People (well, the first two seasons at least), but I think it is pretty deft for the level it's going for without going into full overboard MESSAGE! level breakdowns. It's a hard balance to keep, but I'm looking forward to season 2, assuming it's renewed.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAardvark posted:

Just finished e4 of Haven. Just the kind of show I was looking for :allears:

I've got this in my queue and watched a few episodes but then my attention got diverted somewhere else and I haven't gone back to it yet for some reason. Probably because I haven't wanted to actually watch TV and instead just want a background show.

And for the past few days I've been using Glee as that background show, although I think I stopped watching at some point in season 3 because I'm don't remember some of this late season 3 stuff. The first three seasons really are a great background show show although sometimes I get distracted watching the routines rather than just listening to the songs.

But either way, those first few seasons were really fun with the performances while also doing a pretty good job with some fairly touchy subjects. However, some of the generated drama is pretty ridiculous, mostly the stuff revolving around relationships.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Still have one more season of Boardwalk Empire. Just finished the second season of Fringe after a recommendation from an acquaintance who says it's his favourite show of all time. It's very good....and I love sci-fi.....so I've been digging it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am almost done with Helstrom on Hulu, the show the MCU abandoned.

it is one of the worst shows I've seen in many years.

neither of the two leads can act, I have no idea who's possessing who, who's on who's side.

None of it makes any sense.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chas McGill posted:

The Queen's Gambit was a treat to watch, even with its cheesiness and what I felt were some weird inconsistencies in the writing.

It felt contrived that Jolene had to fork out for Beth's plane ticket when the CIA/NSA/whatever had no problem sending a handler with her, for example. In general all the stuff in Russia didn't feel quite right.

Overall it was a really sumptuous period piece, though.

Also just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Regarding your question, I thought the point of that scene was how Beth turned down the money from the missionaries as she wasn’t playing chess to spread Christianity and wasn’t willing to fake it. Then the State dept doesn’t take a female player seriously and can’t get quick approval for her ticket, but has unlimited money to send a CIA guy with her who doesn’t know anything about chess. I thought it built to her not playing for ideology or patriotism (doesn’t care about White House meeting) but she instead realizes the value of the community as her friends help her over the phone, her mentor cared deeply, and sees the joy the game brings the Russian fans outside the building even when their guy lost.

Really fun series, also felt 7 eps was the right number.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Chas McGill posted:

The Queen's Gambit was a treat to watch, even with its cheesiness and what I felt were some weird inconsistencies in the writing.

I’ve just finished this, and concur.

I was less bothered by the ticket. My very limited grievances were all from the last episode though.

In no particular order: the resumption of her relationship with Townes was wildly unsatisfying, the ‘chess was the friends we made along the way’ scene was something I’d expect from a really awful show, and her frowning prettily magically activating her bullet-time ability in the last match.

On another note, this marks the first time in fiction I’ve been offered the ‘hero is magically good at something with no effort’ trope and not been instantly put off. It’s very well made.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like that it's unusual she's a woman in chess, but also it almost never matters at all in the entire series. You could gender swap the whole show without changing anything at all, basically. Honestly it's probably unrealistic in that regard, a bunch of the small tournaments would have had petty dictators refusing to let her play.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am almost done with Helstrom on Hulu, the show the MCU abandoned.

it is one of the worst shows I've seen in many years.

neither of the two leads can act, I have no idea who's possessing who, who's on who's side.

None of it makes any sense.

Is it bad enough to make Scott Buck feel better about his Inhumans series?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EricFate posted:

Is it bad enough to make Scott Buck feel better about his Inhumans series?

How dare you.

Nothing will ever be that bad.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Queen's Gambit

Torquemada posted:

In no particular order: the resumption of her relationship with Townes was wildly unsatisfying, the ‘chess was the friends we made along the way’ scene was something I’d expect from a really awful show, and her frowning prettily magically activating her bullet-time ability in the last match.

I really liked the show, although the final episode was very the most perfect ending you can have

My biggest complaint is that the chess world is sexist as gently caress, and is *still* sexist as gently caress. Other than having a couple of "a girl that's weird" moments the show just blithely pretends her being a woman wouldn't be a problem, and it would have been.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am near the end of season 1 of a different queen: The Crown. I started watching this because I was watching through Cunk On Britain, and it's filled with historical stuff (in a comedic fashion), and at one point they show a little of Elizabeth II's coronation. That got me interested in watching the whole thing which you can find on Youtube. Anyway that led me into The Crown, which I guess I have heard people talk about but hadn't paid attention to. It's definitely interesting as an American. Although keeping track or really understanding what some of these people in the household do is beyond me. Learning some cool things though, I had never heard of the great smog of '52. That is crazy.

As for Queen's Gambit, I have a bad take I guess. Show is entirely carried by the leads charm, otherwise I didn't really think it was outstanding. A solid 7 maybe.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

phosdex posted:

It's definitely interesting as an American. Although keeping track or really understanding what some of these people in the household do is beyond me.

Yeah I did a lot of wikipedia-surfing when I was watching The Crown because almost all of the story was news to me and I wanted more context.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah I did a lot of wikipedia-surfing when I was watching The Crown because almost all of the story was news to me and I wanted more context.

Oh yeah i know it is primary entertainment but I am learning a ton like about the Suez Canal crisis, the London smog, and Philip’s odd sailing trip around the world. The most fascinating was about Edward VIII’s absurdly close ties to the nazis, up to reviewing troops with hitler, having his French estate guarded, and being shipped off to the Bahamas during the war to keep him away. I liked at the end of the episode how they showed real photos of his foolishness to affirm they weren’t making up his German ties.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Really fun series, also felt 7 eps was the right number.
Really loved the show but a second episode at the orphanage would have worked imo.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Binged Succession s1 this week and loved it. Started ranking the characters from worst to least worst at the end of every episode, because most of them are loving awful. Perversely ended up rooting for some of them. Greg is obviously the best. The GC is an unsung great character too. The actress that plays Shiv has consistently great facial expressions as well. Planning to rip through S2 this week. Would probably have got through it faster if I hadn't been watching it with family. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a show so much. It makes me want to go back and rewatch all the shows I've bailed on because I hated all the characters.

I think the show has a moderate amount of buzz, but seriously, why aren't more people talking about this show?? I found the thread and it's nowhere near as big as it should be.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Binged Queen's Gambit over the weekend. Given the setup it could have come across as derivate (orphan comes good against the odds) but it ends up just being a lot of fun.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

nomapple posted:

Binged Succession s1 this week and loved it. Started ranking the characters from worst to least worst at the end of every episode, because most of them are loving awful. Perversely ended up rooting for some of them. Greg is obviously the best. The GC is an unsung great character too. The actress that plays Shiv has consistently great facial expressions as well. Planning to rip through S2 this week. Would probably have got through it faster if I hadn't been watching it with family. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a show so much. It makes me want to go back and rewatch all the shows I've bailed on because I hated all the characters.

I think the show has a moderate amount of buzz, but seriously, why aren't more people talking about this show?? I found the thread and it's nowhere near as big as it should be.

https://twitter.com/Buncahn/status/1183446961023676416

You can save a lot of time by just watching this video instead.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 16, 2020

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Parks and Recreation is pretty dumb but good fun while working at home as a local government employee

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've got through the first two episodes of Startup. It's good enough for me to continue although not so that I feel I must. However I notice that it looks like it's been quietly dropped after third season. Does it develop in to a must-watch despite not getting a proper wrap-up?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

nomapple posted:

Season 2 is probably even better, there is a scene in the third episode that is so loving absurd that it must have been inspired on something real, because it would be too stupid to come up with in a writing room.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kanonvandekempen posted:

Season 2 is probably even better, there is a scene in the third episode that is so loving absurd that it must have been inspired on something real, because it would be too stupid to come up with in a writing room.

If you're talking about Boar on the Floor, I remember reading that it absolutely was based on real behavior. Not like 1:1 that exact thing, but inspired by it.

And yeah, season 2 is excellent. I can't believe that show actually got me to root for a total scumbag like Kendall.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And I've finished Schitt's Creek and I'm heartbroken but also heart warmed. This might be my favorite show of all time. S6 definitely wasn't my favorite but there's so much closure and heartbreak and joy and "moving on" that I spent the entire last art of the penultimate episode through the last scene fighting the tears and with that fuzzy feeling. Just a really great show that I immediately started picking my favorite episodes to rewatch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

And I've finished Schitt's Creek and I'm heartbroken but also heart warmed. This might be my favorite show of all time. S6 definitely wasn't my favorite but there's so much closure and heartbreak and joy and "moving on" that I spent the entire last art of the penultimate episode through the last scene fighting the tears and with that fuzzy feeling. Just a really great show that I immediately started picking my favorite episodes to rewatch.

We finished it a few weeks ago, but do a Youtube search for "Inside Schitt's Creek." There are short little vignettes (about 2-4 minutes each) that aired with each episode on CBC, starring the cast members doing documentary-style interview segments IN CHARACTER. David, Alexis, Ted, Patrick, Stevie, Twyla, Jocelyn, Mutt, and a few others all show up, but no Johnny, Moira, or Roland, which was fine with me.

I can't tell if they were scripted or improvised, but they all have a loose, improvisational feel. Not every one works, but the vast majority will have you rolling. We watched them all over the last two nights, and it was so great spending a little more time with these characters.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Crown has gifted us all with the phrase "impressively cunty."

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Crown legit blew my mind a couple nights ago when it went over Edward VIII. I won't spoil anything, but all I had known about him was the romanticized bit of his abdication. The revelations that the show went over was a serious "is this real" moment.

I'm into season 3 now, the actor/actress changes was jarring but I've gotten used to it except for Philip.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We finished it a few weeks ago, but do a Youtube search for "Inside Schitt's Creek." There are short little vignettes (about 2-4 minutes each) that aired with each episode on CBC, starring the cast members doing documentary-style interview segments IN CHARACTER. David, Alexis, Ted, Patrick, Stevie, Twyla, Jocelyn, Mutt, and a few others all show up, but no Johnny, Moira, or Roland, which was fine with me.

I can't tell if they were scripted or improvised, but they all have a loose, improvisational feel. Not every one works, but the vast majority will have you rolling. We watched them all over the last two nights, and it was so great spending a little more time with these characters.

Also worth noting that A Little Bit Alexis is a whole-rear end song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kF5zJIbn5U

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I really want to watch The Crown season four so I am blowing through the rest of the show, currently on episode 9. I'm quite enjoying it. I didn't realize Prince Phillip was that Prince Phillip. I don't really know anything about British history so this has been a nice tutorial.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Marathoned all of Mr Inbetween a few days ago and plan to check out the movie it was based off of. I quite enjoyed it, and the 22 to 25 minute runtimes were refreshing after so many 45 minute to hour long episodes from other shows. I didn't even mean to watch it as fast as I did but it was hard to stop watching when I got started. I'll never see Jack and the Beanstalk the same, ever again.

Checked out the Apple TV + show See and I was less pleased. Pretty cool premise by a guy who has written a lot of my favorite stuff with a stellar cast too, but the show was pretty meh overall. It has a lot of stuff in its favor but the main problem for me was the pacing after the first couple of episodes. I found my mind wandering pretty often after that point. I won't say it's awful, but I can't say I'd strongly recommend it to anybody either.

My wife was watching The Great the other day and I caught the last half of the season or so. Seemed to be pretty funny so I'll probably give it a proper viewing soon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

The Crown has gifted us all with the phrase "impressively cunty."

Just got to this. Also holy hell Gillian Anderson's Thatcher.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

phosdex posted:

The Crown legit blew my mind a couple nights ago when it went over Edward VIII. I won't spoil anything, but all I had known about him was the romanticized bit of his abdication. The revelations that the show went over was a serious "is this real" moment.

I'm into season 3 now, the actor/actress changes was jarring but I've gotten used to it except for Philip.

According to historians in the British press the Crown has taken more liberties with being an actual representation of things as they happened with each season, so maybe be careful what you're reading into things.

Having said that, abolish all monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Anyone who loves Nathan Fielder and "Nathan For You" needs to get into "How To With John Wilson" right away. It's 4 out of 6 episodes in and it's been brilliant so far.