Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have an Accelero IV to put on my blower 2080ti sitting right next to me. It's loving hideous though & makes it like a 4 slot card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Well while I wait for the Zen 3 to be back in stock, I'm re-evaluating my case decision. I still want pretty, but am more amenable to a smaller unit.

Is there anything that appears dumb about the Cougar MX410-T? It's new (only came out in September) and has no reviews yet, but it's smaller, less flashy while still being pretty, and just generally seems to probably be better than the glass full tower I was originally looking at.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Golbez posted:

Well while I wait for the Zen 3 to be back in stock, I'm re-evaluating my case decision. I still want pretty, but am more amenable to a smaller unit.

Is there anything that appears dumb about the Cougar MX410-T? It's new (only came out in September) and has no reviews yet, but it's smaller, less flashy while still being pretty, and just generally seems to probably be better than the glass full tower I was originally looking at.

I’d look at reviews from the plain MX410. It seems like they’re basically the same except for the RGB from a really quick glance. There’s plenty of reviews for that.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

bus hustler posted:

I have an Accelero IV to put on my blower 2080ti sitting right next to me. It's loving hideous though & makes it like a 4 slot card.
Return it, get a Morpheus II Core Edition and have an understated 4 slot monster.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Is there any reason to upgrade a i5-9600k with the current generation of CPUs, Intel or AMD? I'm happy with it and currently it meets my needs for work (databases and data visualizations) and gaming, but I'm wondering if I should flip it and eke out some more performance with an upgrade.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gently caress Man posted:

Is there any reason to upgrade a i5-9600k with the current generation of CPUs, Intel or AMD? I'm happy with it and currently it meets my needs for work (databases and data visualizations) and gaming, but I'm wondering if I should flip it and eke out some more performance with an upgrade.

The general wisdom is keep using it if it’s working for you, as you’ll be able to get a better upgrade in a year or two when it’s not working for you.

On another note, can someone validate in reading this right? I have this Superflower 850w PSU. From my look on the page, I should have 3 3x sata power cables. I only got two and need the third. Trying to make sure I actually should have it before I go hunting and poo poo.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
In re: botique box questions - Yes it came with that 2600 processor and an Asus branded 2060 card. The fact its only getting 90 - 100ish FPS in Fortnite with all settings at the "You really should have a 30x0 class card" level is whats making him angry. Solution ? blow another $??00.00 on replacing processor, PSU, and video card. And it came with a single 512gb PNY SSD, he bought a 1 TB PNY already as a 2nd drive :shepicide: . The only reason all this hasn't been bought yet is the fact pretty much all 30x0 cards are vaporware right now. Hell, the Asus mobo in this thing supports Ryzen 7 39xx at the max.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying to figure out which GPU I'm going to need for 1080p but it seems it's a pain in the butt right now since every review is 1440p and 4k.

I was looking at the 3070, and I want to be able to play

Control, Metro Exodus, and Cyberpunk 2077 on max settings, 60fps minimum 1080p. Hard requirements. Odyssey and RDR2 would be nice too.

I see lots of 1440p and 4k, but I don't have a 4k monitor, I have two 1080p monitors and I'd game on one. If I do upgrade my monitors, I'd get two cheapo 4k monitors, same situation.

$500 is asking a lot of my wallet unless it's a substantial upgrade over my 1060 (which I got for free). Leaning towards nvidia because of ray tracing but idk.

Any suggestions?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 19, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Everything I've been told about 1080p (as I run the same thing with no plans to go to 1440p any time soon) is either stick with the 1060 which is still fine or get a 2060 when/if the prices start to come down if you're really after ray tracing.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz9Y617boLc

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

Everything I've been told about 1080p (as I run the same thing with no plans to go to 1440p any time soon) is either stick with the 1060 which is still fine or get a 2060 when/if the prices start to come down if you're really after ray tracing.

I'm just not interested in playing a game unless the settings are on max.

Same reason I never finished playing kingdom come, because the 1060 is just too weak to make the game not look flat. Ultra looks good but it runs likes rear end.

TBH this and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5h3Ex2SQ8 make me want a 3070 for 1080p. I might suffer locking in 30fps if I play on 4k (as a treat)

I suppose it doesn't matter because they're out of stock everywhere, probably until next year :smith:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 19, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Same reason I never finished playing kingdom come, because the 1060 is just too weak to make the game not look flat. Ultra looks good but it runs likes rear end.

TBH this and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5h3Ex2SQ8 make me want a 3070 for 1080p. I might suffer locking in 30fps if I play on 4k (as a treat)

I plan on moving up to a 1440p monitor, but for now I'm running an RTX 3070 on my old 1080p60 monitor, and it never sniffs going under 60 in Control or Horizon Zero Dawn with everything turned up. With with ultra detail/ultra textures in HZD the bottom 0.1% FPS is like 90 or some poo poo. It is definitely a GIGANTC upgrade over a 1060, it absolutely exterminates my old 1070 which had to run HZD at medium + TAA to mostly hold 1080p60.

At 1080p your CPU starts becoming the limiting factor with an RTX 3070.

e: conventional wisdom is an RTX 3070 is overkill for 1080p60, but you REALLY never ever want to worry about having enough FPS at 1080p, an RTX 3070 + a good CPU will definitely deliver.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I plan on moving up to a 1440p monitor, but for now I'm running an RTX 3070 on my old 1080p60 monitor, and it never sniffs going under 60 in Control or Horizon Zero Dawn with everything turned up. With with ultra detail/ultra textures in HZD the bottom 0.1% FPS is like 90 or some poo poo. It is definitely a GIGANTC upgrade over a 1060, it absolutely exterminates my old 1070 which had to run HZD at medium + TAA to mostly hold 1080p60.

At 1080p your CPU starts becoming the limiting factor with an RTX 3070.

I have a 2700x. I saw some benches w/ a 2080ti and the diff between that and a 5900x or w/e was like 10-20 fps, I should be fine with this.
I'll need to buy a new PSU though too...poor trusty 550w :saddowns:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you're including ray tracing in max settings maybe, otherwise a 1660S or 2060 will do max settings on 1080p60 no problem. You could also wait for lower end cards to get refreshed, the 3070 is wild overkill for 1080p60.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Some Goon posted:

If you're including ray tracing in max settings maybe, otherwise a 1660S or 2060 will do max settings on 1080p60 no problem. You could also wait for lower end cards to get refreshed, the 3070 is wild overkill for 1080p60.

If you run Control with max RT + whatever super high everything else is + DLSS 2.0 OFF, you will still be well over 60 fps all the time at 1080p with an RTX 3070+5800X. I tried that just to see what happens.

But a lot of the time setting everything to ULTRA NIGHTMARE EXTREME BRO mode instead of Very High does literally nothing but tank FPS while looking the same.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

How good of a cooler will I need for a 10700k? I was going to get the CM Hyper 212 because it's only $30 but some things I read said you need a much beefier cooler like the $90 Noctua or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. I'd like to stick to air coolers so I don't have to do any upkeep on the coolers.

CM Hyper 212
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Noctua D15
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vzv6h/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15

Be Quiet Dark ROCK Pro 4
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

municipal shrimp posted:

How good of a cooler will I need for a 10700k? I was going to get the CM Hyper 212 because it's only $30 but some things I read said you need a much beefier cooler like the $90 Noctua or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. I'd like to stick to air coolers so I don't have to do any upkeep on the coolers.

CM Hyper 212

Noctua D15

Be Quiet Dark ROCK Pro 4
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3gzK8/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-505-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk022

Are you buying a 10700k or have one?

It’s not really recommended to buy a 10700k right now. The AMD offerings are insanely better for almost all uses.

If you already have it, the 212 will work, but will struggle on an OC and be loud more often.

A d15 will be quieter more often, and will handle an OC really well.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

municipal shrimp posted:

CM Hyper 212

Noctua D15

Be Quiet Dark ROCK Pro 4

Stock or OC?

Stock they're pretty hot but nothing too insane, overclocked they go completely batshit and and draw like 267 watts lol

But why go intel at all?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I have all my parts sitting in a corner except the case. Ontrac appears to have lost the case :sigh:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I got a fellow artist who is looking to replicate the build I put together with the help of folks here.

Unfortunately the x570 asus Tuf wifi boards are hard to come by in France (where they are located) or their prices are out of whack due to low stock and demand or whatever.

Are there some x570 alternatives people could suggest here for them?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nohearum posted:

I have all my parts sitting in a corner except the case. Ontrac appears to have lost the case :sigh:

Well you should obviously build the system on a non-conductive surface to make sure your parts work and start gaming immediately.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Spacedad posted:

I got a fellow artist who is looking to replicate the build I put together with the help of folks here.

Unfortunately the x570 asus Tuf wifi boards are hard to come by in France (where they are located) or their prices are out of whack due to low stock and demand or whatever.

Are there some x570 alternatives people could suggest here for them?

Do they really need X570 instead of B550 and/or built in wifi?

Random observation: for some reason the B550-F is weirdly reasonably priced according to pcpartpicker's French listings, but it's not X570 and doesn't have built in wifi.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Got a msi x570 tomahawk and a Ryzen 5900x and it WILL NOT POST, super frustrating! The CPU error light on the board just stays on no matter what I try.

* Flashed the bios 5 times now with different usb sticks, it seems to take, restarts by itself and so on
* Reinstalled the CPU 3 times, no bent pins or anything
* reseated all power leads
* reset cmos, also removed battery
* removed ram / one stick

Just doesn’t get past the CPU error. No bios, nothing. Not sure if the bios flash isn’t taking, the board is bad, or the cpu is DOA...

Anyone have any ideas?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I just checked the Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 2x16gb kit I have and it's dual rank micron e die, in case anybody is looking for a kit with those parameters.

Is this the same kit you bought?

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164174

I was looking at the white version, but they're out of stock everywhere it looks like.

Samadhi fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 20, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Optikalusion posted:

Got a msi x570 tomahawk and a Ryzen 5900x and it WILL NOT POST, super frustrating! The CPU error light on the board just stays on no matter what I try.

* Flashed the bios 5 times now with different usb sticks, it seems to take, restarts by itself and so on
* Reinstalled the CPU 3 times, no bent pins or anything
* reseated all power leads
* reset cmos, also removed battery
* removed ram / one stick

Just doesn’t get past the CPU error. No bios, nothing. Not sure if the bios flash isn’t taking, the board is bad, or the cpu is DOA...

Anyone have any ideas?

Start by rebuilding the flash drive you use to flash the bios and do it again (and make sure all other HDDs/SSDs are disconnected).

Also check for solid power connection on both PSU and non PSU sides of the cables. Focus on the CPU power one. Check if that board needs 2x cpu power (I don’t know if it does)

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
All the parts I ordered except the power supply arrived today, and PSU should be coming tomorrow. Having not built a computer in ~8 years, I thought I had accidentally ordered or been sent a wrong part when I saw the box for the hard drive, it looks smaller than the RAM! Definitely felt like an old man for a moment there.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: SK hynix Gold P31 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan x3
Total: ~$1300 at the time

I came into a bit of extra money unexpectedly and decided to invest a bit in decent cooling and a few other random parts after seeing sean10mm's build and comments. I plan on using EVGA’s step-up program and picking up a 1440@144Hz monitor in a few months. I went with the 3900x over a Zen 3 because I found a good price for it, and the extra cores should be nice for work.

I want to say thanks to Kingnothing, MikeC, sean10mm, and all the others posting advice in this thread.

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 20, 2020

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I've have a (potential) buyer beware story about MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI.

I put together a new build, that ran fine for about ten days. On day ten I got a hard windows lockup that caused the mobo diagnostic lights to flash DRAM/CPU - it was a warm AF night since we had a heat wave. I had to pull the CMOS battery (which needed the GPU pulling) to get it back online. I ran memtest86 with the GPU back in; instant errors. Pulled out stick 1 (slot 1) . Memtested stick 2 (slot 3) alone fine. Put stick 1 into slot 3, instant error. I conclude stick 1 is causing errors and call it a night. I leave memtest with Stick 2 in Slot 1 overnight. No issues.

For shits and giggles, the next morning I return the ram to it's original setup... it's passes. WTF. I run it again, pass. I guess I wasn't seating the ram correctly (consistantly with one stick...) and reinstall windows since the hardlock totally hosed it.

It runs for about 2 hours while I install windows, drivers and create an image. Then I boot up a game, after 30 mins.... hard lock. At this point I take it back to the place I bought the parts and ask them to bench it. I leave my GPU out of the buld, since I wanna play games on the old PC with my 1080ti - since it's gonna take a week to get the results from the store.

They bench it for 4 days, test each part in different setups, stress the CPU/Mobo/Ram combo. No issues. AIDA/Memtest, 3D Benchmarks (they put in a GPU and using the onboard 10700k GPU).

I get it home, install the 1080ti - about 3 hours in. Hard lock.

I grab my 980ti and try to install it in the motherboard...I can't, THIS loving plastic bullshit is preventing the card from even getting close to locked in/down.

I test the 1080ti again, it locks in, but I now realise how tight it is on the non-screwed down end. My theory us that once that plastic part warms up, it expands and shifts the GPU just enough to cause a hard lock. Am I insane? The store won't take the mobo back since it's not faulty...what are my options? Getting a new gfx card will be a real PITA right now.

Edit : Just found this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/flex-b-20/black/ I have Mesh 2, so it'll work with it. I guess this is the next step!.... Turns out it's back ordered everywhere. Does anyone know of decent alternatives?

midge fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 20, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm getting the pieces together for my build (so far the nr200p, LG 27GL850-B and the 3080 FE) and was waiting on finding a 5600x before I pulled the trigger on the other components.

That said, I've just found 32GB of 3200 Crucial Ballistix RAM on Amazon for €100 thanks to early black Friday. Is there any reason (with Amazon's hugely extended returns period) I shouldn't smash buy now? In my build I was aiming for 3600 RAM but that was going to run me another ~€50. That would be wasted money, right?

Also the WD SN550 1TB is currently €90. I'll be getting that now too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

midge posted:

I've have a (potential) buyer beware story about MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI.

I put together a new build, that ran fine for about ten days. On day ten I got a hard windows lockup that caused the mobo diagnostic lights to flash DRAM/CPU - it was a warm AF night since we had a heat wave. I had to pull the CMOS battery (which needed the GPU pulling) to get it back online. I ran memtest86 with the GPU back in; instant errors. Pulled out stick 1 (slot 1) . Memtested stick 2 (slot 3) alone fine. Put stick 1 into slot 3, instant error. I conclude stick 1 is causing errors and call it a night. I leave memtest with Stick 2 in Slot 1 overnight. No issues.

For shits and giggles, the next morning I return the ram to it's original setup... it's passes. WTF. I run it again, pass. I guess I wasn't seating the ram correctly (consistantly with one stick...) and reinstall windows since the hardlock totally hosed it.

It runs for about 2 hours while I install windows, drivers and create an image. Then I boot up a game, after 30 mins.... hard lock. At this point I take it back to the place I bought the parts and ask them to bench it. I leave my GPU out of the buld, since I wanna play games on the old PC with my 1080ti - since it's gonna take a week to get the results from the store.

They bench it for 4 days, test each part in different setups, stress the CPU/Mobo/Ram combo. No issues. AIDA/Memtest, 3D Benchmarks (they put in a GPU and using the onboard 10700k GPU).

I get it home, install the 1080ti - about 3 hours in. Hard lock.

I grab my 980ti and try to install it in the motherboard...I can't, THIS loving plastic bullshit is preventing the card from even getting close to locked in/down.

I test the 1080ti again, it locks in, but I now realise how tight it is on the non-screwed down end. My theory us that once that plastic part warms up, it expands and shifts the GPU just enough to cause a hard lock. Am I insane? The store won't take the mobo back since it's not faulty...what are my options? Getting a new gfx card will be a real PITA right now.

Edit : Just found this - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/flex-b-20/black/ I have Mesh 2, so it'll work with it. I guess this is the next step!.... Turns out it's back ordered everywhere. Does anyone know of decent alternatives?

You can’t be the only one with a 1080Ti, so I kind of don’t think this is a likely issue. I also can’t see anything at all from googling about this board having seating issues because of that heat sink.

Can you post some pictures seating the 1080ti and the 980ti and it clashing with the heatsink? Try to get pictures of the pci slot and the bracket on the case if you can.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Kingnothing posted:

You can’t be the only one with a 1080Ti, so I kind of don’t think this is a likely issue. I also can’t see anything at all from googling about this board having seating issues because of that heat sink.

Can you post some pictures seating the 1080ti and the 980ti and it clashing with the heatsink? Try to get pictures of the pci slot and the bracket on the case if you can.

Yeah, I feel the same way....especially when it's two common cards that don't fit. Maybe the standoffs are the wrong size? Is that a thing? That would force the card to sit lower.

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012
Finally was able to get a 3080 from zotac tonight. So I can continue with my build

got a 10900k processor

Now for the rest lol.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Last time I posted here I was told to wait because of some announcement regarding processors. I’d like to purchase everything between now and Black Friday so did that processor thing pan out?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes the Ryzen 5600 is fantastic but good luck finding one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes the Ryzen 5600 is fantastic but good luck finding one.

Ah okay. I’m not really sure why, I’m not looking for latest and greatest, just a decent computer that can also support a shitload of ram for homelab/security research purposes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is this PSU... alright? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0832KN3RV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3VUUSCTID03LA Apparently it's a B-tier PSU on some Linus Tech Tips spreadsheet. Does that mean it's ok to use with an RX 580 and i5 2500?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alright, hopefully my final question until I have a desktop for the first time ever!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mDLfrr

Anything I'm missing before I pull the trigger on this? Memory seems to be compatible with the motherboard (figuring that out was a ride), graphics card seems like it'll run just about anything well, motherboard seems to be reasonably flexible and powerful option.

Anything dumb here? Is this a good setup for a first timer? Any last minute changes?

Is there anything here bottlenecking the rest of the parts I should be aware of? I plan on retiring it as a server in the distant future so I figure the capability to run up to 128 gb of ram would be nice.

Some more niche questions: As far as OS I'll probably partition off an area for linux mint to do day-to-day office PC type stuff. Out of curiosity, is there any need to have some hardware intensive security tools like John the Ripper installed into a base OS for it to utilize the hardware effectively? I've heard graphics cards are very efficient at some cryptographic stuff compared to regular processors. I've also heard linux often can't really use high end hardware that well anyway, but I don't really know much about that stuff yet. Maybe I'm overthinking this, stuff like hash cracking is a pretty niche case that I might only do once or twice on a weak one just as a proof of concept for myself. Curious if anyone knows about that stuff and has some insight.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage
Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card

Case
Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
After building my new gaming pc my intention was to give my old pc to my mother as a gift with a bare minimum gpu, but now I have a friend that might be interested in buying it for cheap for a bargain gaming rig. If I were looking to build my mother a pc that's a glorified facebook machine/word processor would I be better off looking for a refurb-ed work station or something of the sort rather than building a bargain desktop? this is in the US fwiw.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

redpleb posted:

After building my new gaming pc my intention was to give my old pc to my mother as a gift with a bare minimum gpu, but now I have a friend that might be interested in buying it for cheap for a bargain gaming rig. If I were looking to build my mother a pc that's a glorified facebook machine/word processor would I be better off looking for a refurb-ed work station or something of the sort rather than building a bargain desktop? this is in the US fwiw.

Yeah that's the current consensus, grab an Optiplex with an okay processor, throw in a SSD and call it a day.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Kingnothing posted:

Start by rebuilding the flash drive you use to flash the bios and do it again (and make sure all other HDDs/SSDs are disconnected).

Also check for solid power connection on both PSU and non PSU sides of the cables. Focus on the CPU power one. Check if that board needs 2x cpu power (I don’t know if it does)

Thanks for the tips, tried all this again, unfortunately no change. Flashed it 7 times now with a number of different sticks and it just won’t proceed beyond cpu error light. Ordering a different motherboard now and hoping it’s not the processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

If you're not getting this particular MB cheap, there's an updated version for the same MSRP, the B550M AORUS PRO-P.