Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
My tongue burns when I eat apricots. I discovered this today, after I bought a bag of dried apricots. Google suggests this may be due to something called oral allergy syndrome. My guilt over wasting food is more powerful than self-preservation instincts shaped by millions of years of evolution so I wonder: Can I still eat the apricots or is that a bad idea? The burning is mild and goes away fairly quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A chat I was in just the other day had a couple people commiserating about OAS, and they said that oral allergies don’t progress to anaphylaxis. They take an antihistamine before eating and that works for mild cases.

That said, I’m not your doctor and I didn’t even check WebMD on this one. I don’t experience them myself.

This doesn’t help you with the dried apricots, but cooked food won’t trigger the allergy. Heating denatures the fragile proteins that are irritating you. I recommend trying marillenknödel.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bones 4 beginners posted:

My tongue burns when I eat apricots. I discovered this today, after I bought a bag of dried apricots. Google suggests this may be due to something called oral allergy syndrome. My guilt over wasting food is more powerful than self-preservation instincts shaped by millions of years of evolution so I wonder: Can I still eat the apricots or is that a bad idea? The burning is mild and goes away fairly quick.

you could give them to someone else

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I have this. If I have a severe reaction swallowing can be painful for an hour or two but it’s never affected my breathing. Cooking the food usually breaks down the allergens and makes the food safe to eat.

I wouldn’t eat anymore raw though.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

^^I was going to try that but I'm living in a new country and don't know many people very well. That plus the pandemic made me think people might be wary of taking opened foods from someone they only sorta know but maybe that is overly cautious.

Platystemon posted:

A chat I was in just the other day had a couple people commiserating about OAS, and they said that oral allergies don’t progress to anaphylaxis. They take an antihistamine before eating and that works for mild cases.

That said, I’m not your doctor and I didn’t even check WebMD on this one. I don’t experience them myself.

This doesn’t help you with the dried apricots, but cooked food won’t trigger the allergy. Heating denatures the fragile proteins that are irritating you. I recommend trying marillenknödel.
I guess big horrible reactions are what I wondered about. I know it's a question for a doctor but thanks for providing the info about cooking it, could be good to know.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, don’t play “I wonder if this can send me to the ER?” with a newly discovered allergy in the middle of a pandemic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, don’t play “I wonder if this can send me to the ER?” with a newly discovered allergy in the middle of a pandemic.
I almost gave myself anaphylaxis in may by eating spoonfulls of raw honey with almonds. Wrong honey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McCracAttack posted:

Or any time, really.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, with that logic, you can never try any new food. You don’t know if you are deathly allergic to it till it’s too late.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Platystemon posted:

I mean, with that logic, you can never try any new food. You don’t know if you are deathly allergic to it till it’s too late.

There's a difference between trying new foods that you have no reason to believe you are allergic to, and continuing to eat foods that you know you're definitely allergic to but don't know how allergic.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I wouldn't recommend eating any more uncooked, just because it's not pleasant even if it may not be life threatening. But if your survived a bit uncooked, it might be reasonable to try a tiny bit cooked and then wait a half hour to an hour and see if it affects you.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What's the word for standing outside of a store and trying to get strangers going in to buy you booze? Do Canadians call it booting?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Grouchio posted:

Rather than what it does, I find it a forerunner to proper brain implant tech. Hacking the brain is going to be a serious ethical/legal concern in the mid-century.

No, it’s not. Would you be interested in a wager?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

^^I was going to try that but I'm living in a new country and don't know many people very well. That plus the pandemic made me think people might be wary of taking opened foods from someone they only sorta know but maybe that is overly cautious.

I guess big horrible reactions are what I wondered about. I know it's a question for a doctor but thanks for providing the info about cooking it, could be good to know.

I have about fifty kajillion oral allergies (which kinda sucks since I'm a cook). Cooking things always works for me. Bananas? Hella itchy mouth. Banana pudding? Bring it on.

Two other things to consider:

I grow in and out of some allergies. I used to be able to eat melons just fine, then when I hit my late teens/early 20's things started to make me itch. Carrots used to bother me a lot, but now I can take them in small doses (a little shredded carrot on a salad, for example). So even if you get itchy from something raw, it's worth trying a small amount again in a couple years to see if it's still there.

Also, many oral allergies are actually a cross-allergen thing, based on seasonal pollen you may be allergic to. So if, say, you're allergic to birch pollen, eating an apricot is like telling your immune system "holy poo poo I just shoved a bunch of birch pollen straight into my mouth! Bring on the histamines!"

Here is a handy chart!

(Of course I'm most allergic to watermelon in the summer. Of course.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a friend with OAS and she says putting stuff in the microwave for a few seconds is enough to denature the offending proteins.

I can't remember what it is she reacts to, though. It was some kind of fruit.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What's the word for standing outside of a store and trying to get strangers going in to buy you booze? Do Canadians call it booting?
I'm Canadian, and I can't say I've heard that, but I found a link that supports "pull" or "boot" to refer to that act - https://www.businessinsider.com/can...ord-dpanneur-39

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

El_Elegante posted:

No, it’s not. Would you be interested in a wager?

Not op but I for one enjoy bets that won't be settled for decades. I'll wager ten (10) American Dollars that by the afore-mentioned mid-century -- 2050 -- there will be a reported case of hacking a brain-implanted microchip or associated software. Who among you is brave enough to take this wager??

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wouldn’t make a bet for anything less than permanent red text

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Here is a handy chart!

holy poo poo! thanks for this, i get an itchy mouth/throat when eating bananas, cantaloupe and watermelon but i never specifically tied it to a season.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is this a bed bug?
https://i.imgur.com/aQiPIwL.jpg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yup

Sorry

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A horror story in 7 words.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have about fifty kajillion oral allergies (which kinda sucks since I'm a cook). Cooking things always works for me. Bananas? Hella itchy mouth. Banana pudding? Bring it on.

Two other things to consider:

I grow in and out of some allergies. I used to be able to eat melons just fine, then when I hit my late teens/early 20's things started to make me itch. Carrots used to bother me a lot, but now I can take them in small doses (a little shredded carrot on a salad, for example). So even if you get itchy from something raw, it's worth trying a small amount again in a couple years to see if it's still there.

Also, many oral allergies are actually a cross-allergen thing, based on seasonal pollen you may be allergic to. So if, say, you're allergic to birch pollen, eating an apricot is like telling your immune system "holy poo poo I just shoved a bunch of birch pollen straight into my mouth! Bring on the histamines!"

Here is a handy charti].)
Cool thanks for the info. This makes me realize I have this problem with kiwis too. I thought that's just how kiwis were. My reaction is super mild so that's part of why I wondered if it was a big deal to keep eating them. I've never had an allergy before and used to know people who'd eat stuff they were allergic to anyway. Knowing you can cook it away in this case is useful info to have, thanks for everyone who shared that.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Trapick posted:

I'm Canadian, and I can't say I've heard that, but I found a link that supports "pull" or "boot" to refer to that act - https://www.businessinsider.com/can...ord-dpanneur-39

Thanks. I thought I had heard it on a Vancouver-based podcast, but didn't think to Google Canadian slang + boot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm interested in getting some incense and an incense burner. Are there any threads about this?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
If not there definitely should be. If you find something pls report back.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm interested in getting some incense and an incense burner. Are there any threads about this?
I've seen people talk about burners in the aliexpress thread in GBS. Buying incense from there doesn't seem like a great idea.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Cool thanks for the info. This makes me realize I have this problem with kiwis too. I thought that's just how kiwis were. My reaction is super mild so that's part of why I wondered if it was a big deal to keep eating them. I've never had an allergy before and used to know people who'd eat stuff they were allergic to anyway. Knowing you can cook it away in this case is useful info to have, thanks for everyone who shared that.

Since your are noticing some other fruit allergies that is most likely. But kiwi reactions can sometimes be a cross reaction to latex allergies, which can be tougher to deal with.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Douche4Sale posted:

Since your are noticing some other fruit allergies that is most likely. But kiwi reactions can sometimes be a cross reaction to latex allergies, which can be tougher to deal with.

Good point. My first oral allergy I noticed was when I was kid. I was getting major orthodontia done, meaning I was at the dentist constantly. This was the mid 80's, when AIDS became A Thing, so my dentist started using latex gloves (prior to that he just stuck his bare hands in my mouth). I noticed that after seeing the dentist my mouth itched like crazy, but it took years to figure out why. Who would ever imagine you could be allergic to something in a doctor/dentist office?

A few years later was when my fruit itchies started, so I wonder if that kick-started it.

Anyways, an article I just found on PubMed has this to say:

quote:

Approximately 30-50% of individuals who are allergic to natural rubber latex (NRL) show an associated hypersensitivity to some plant-derived foods, especially freshly consumed fruits. This association of latex allergy and allergy to plant-derived foods is called latex-fruit syndrome. An increasing number of plant sources, such as avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwi, peach, tomato, potato and bell pepper, have been associated with this syndrome.

So even though pretty much every doctor/dentist I've seen has switched to nitrile gloves, if I'm going someplace new and they ask if I have any allergies, I make sure they know that latex is verboten. If you have OAS, it's a good idea to do the same!

edit: um, and also if you use condoms, might wanna think about switching to non-latex. Thankfully I figured out the latex allergy before my first time.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 18, 2020

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

No threads I know of but the Monastery Store is run by a community of Soto Zen monks. I haven’t bought incense from them I have bought other goods. It was a good experience and I liked helping practicing monastics be able to do their thing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've had good experiences with both Incensio de Sante Fe and Blackbird, although in both scents and brand image they're about as far apart as I could possibly imagine. They both offer sampler packs.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

Not op but I for one enjoy bets that won't be settled for decades. I'll wager ten (10) American Dollars that by the afore-mentioned mid-century -- 2050 -- there will be a reported case of hacking a brain-implanted microchip or associated software. Who among you is brave enough to take this wager??

Wait, we need to define this wager more. Are we only talking about basilisk-hacking a biobrain via a brain-computer-interface or are hacks on full cyberbrains also applicable?

Because you can already spoof your brain's human/facial pattern recognition with white noise and pareidolia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Surely the standard is arbitrary code execution.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

"stop hitting yourself"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had this annoying, thick tag on my pillow that I finally had the sense to pull off after months of it popping out and stabbing my head. It's the usual "machine wash cold yadda yadda" tag that you see on every pillow.

Then I realized that it was double layered and peeled back the top layer and found this foil etching underneath.\

What the hell is this and why is it on a pillow?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

That kind of looks like the circuitry of anti-theft tags.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you bought the pillow at a big box store, chances are it's a custom SKU that gets anti-theft tags put in during manufacturing.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there a way to clean HEPA or charcoal filters instead of buying new ones every few months?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
You can rinse the charcoal ones, but HEPA are single use. I imagine the charcoal is less effective over time, but for mine at least, it tends to be more about prefiltering larger particles (pet hair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What's the cool discord music bot? I don't need playlists but if it does them, I want to be able to change them quickly and on the fly, I also need it to start playing fast, I'm doing a DND game, and I like to set the mood.