Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Y7 end/post game question:

Did Ichi ever get his peking duck?

The duck was faking its death the whole time. They are the mastermind behind the whole conspiracy and the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Well aside from the big spoilers, I have decided to compile a list of potential plot hooks for 8

Kume is still on the loose and likely going to be backed by the PM as an useful tool for his role as a Bleach Japan believer, murdering Masato only solidified his resolve to purge the Gray zones from Japan and while major plays isn't likely going to happen, the seat Tokyo Governor is still empty. Masato relied heavily on threats and blackmailing the old guard to maintain his influence over them and now that he is gone, they are going to find someone they can trust, either with the remnants of the Yomei Alliance where Koshimizu looks to strike new deals or a new family emerges to replace the power vacuum the big two left behind.

Ijincho took a heavy beating and isn't going to do any better in the pandemic, what with losing a valuable source of income via tourism, deportations due to Bleach Japan honey trapping illegals and the death of the former patriarch, complicating matters is Seong-Hui now controls both the Liumang and Jingeweon/Gemojul remnant and depending on Zhao's mood, would he decide he wants his family back or stay with Ichiban.

Ichiban may have to start his own family in the sequel to help replace Hoshino as the family head but neither him or Mitsuo are Yakuza material, yes he does run a Senbei Shop canonically but it may not be the big money maker despite scrounging enough money for a candidacy to compete with Kume but he ultimately lost the election.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Ivan Dolvich posted:

Couple questions about the management portion of the game:

also make sure you try bring the employees with the lowest command cost to the shareholder meetings so you can get more attacks in. always bring the chicken.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Destroying shareholders with the razor sharp argument of a chicken is great but the test goon also has a 5 cost attack and does actual damage with his Phoenix Wright impersonation.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So Enforcer just became a 1-man wrecking crew when I realized Paralysis Prongs does upwards of 1200-ish damage. Move over thumbtacks, there's a new warcrime in town.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If they're gonna rip of Dragon Quest this hard I hope the next one you play as a kid in the tutorial, play as a young adult juggling his life of crime and dating life before plot swerve you go to jail for 18 years for a crime you didn't commit and have to get vengeance by teaming up with your now adult child.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm playing Yakuza 0, and does the combat get better? I beat up Kuze after downing a bunch of healing items, and I dunno where the game is, I guess I'm still in the tutorial because the drunk american had me pick up a new kind of fighting style.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 0, and does the combat get better?

I know you asked this in the general thread and my response was to uninstall, but when I made the exact same complaint everyone else responded to switch to easy and buy a million healing items to get through every fight, which is the same advice you got too

so, not really

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm playing Yakuza 0, and does the combat get better? I beat up Kuze after downing a bunch of healing items, and I dunno where the game is, I guess I'm still in the tutorial because the drunk american had me pick up a new kind of fighting style.

You're still effectively in the tutorial and no, it never gets better. The other playable character who you play half the game as very, very quickly gets a fighting style that people will tell you is really good and they're right but the leave out its so good because it ignores most of the rules of the combat that suck. Switching out of it leaves you right back in the garbage zone and it is not really improving combat so much as trivializing it.

The cabaret minigame is quite fun but I don't think its worth progressing any further if you aren't having fun.

Like I cannot stress enough how ridiculous it is that the somewhat half baked turnbased combat of 7 is a lightyears improvement over the previous combat system they iterated on over 10 games and multiple remakes.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 20, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly if they just switched to turn-based combat from now on I'd be in for the long haul. If they go back my time with Yakuza probably ends with this game

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Hey, if it doesn't click, it doesn't click. You could try to FORCE yourself to like it but if it feels like pulling teeth, just switch to 7. You're allowed to not like 0. Just try 7 before giving up on the series, okay?

I'd never admit it but I was finding the gameplay to be getting kind of stale.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 20, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only thing I miss in the turn-based combat is being able to land a Tiger Drop as a counter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, all the counter skills are trash.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
i just used (very late game spoiler)Daigo Dojima as a poundmate and WOW that's the most fanservicey thing in this entire game lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gyrobot posted:

Well aside from the big spoilers, I have decided to compile a list of potential plot hooks for 8

Kume is still on the loose and likely going to be backed by the PM as an useful tool for his role as a Bleach Japan believer, murdering Masato only solidified his resolve to purge the Gray zones from Japan and while major plays isn't likely going to happen, the seat Tokyo Governor is still empty.

Kume is a little worm who can't do anything on his own, he was absolutely arrested five minutes after that and then shanked in prison on Sawashiro's orders.

Boba Pearl posted:

It gets better when you unlock Beast style in Chapter 2. Then it gets better again when you can play as Majima.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 20, 2020

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have also just started 0 and am mostly wondering if any stuff transfers between games. If I make billions on mahjong and win all the capsule machine prizes is any of that side stuff going to have long-term payoff or should I limit my loving around to what I'm really enjoying?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the latter. you sometimes get little bonuses for having save games from other games in the series, but never anything more in-depth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

psychoJ posted:

i just used (very late game spoiler)Daigo Dojima as a poundmate and WOW that's the most fanservicey thing in this entire game lol

I spent 50 tojo badges and did not unlock this and I am very mad

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/ryugagotoku/status/1329702580813852673

December 8th, 8PM JST. 15th anniversary stream, gonna be looking back on the series and... whats in store for the future... gonna be some announcements!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
also yokoyama tweeted this out and deleted it supposedly, not sure its real but...

Young Watase prequel!? (he was in yakuza 5, pc players)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Huh. not my first choice, but I wouldn't turn down an Omi-focused game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taking all bets on Yakuza 8:

Yakuza Musou?
Yakuza visual novel?
Yakuza DDR?
Yakuza fighting game?
Yakuza 4x strategy game?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my new favorite thing to do: run down a crowded street and listen to my party members trampling everything and everyone in my wake

stev posted:

Yakuza Musou?
Yakuza visual novel?
Yakuza DDR?
Yakuza fighting game?
Yakuza 4x strategy game?

Yakuza Bugsnax

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stev posted:

Yakuza Musou?
Yakuza visual novel?
Yakuza DDR?
Yakuza fighting game?
Yakuza 4x strategy game?

rumour spreads of a partnership with ZA/UM...

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Yakuza dating sim

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Yakuza dating sim

Dream Daddy, Yakuza edition

For real though I would kill a man with thumbtacks for a 1970s Kashiwagi game

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 20, 2020

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly if they just switched to turn-based combat from now on I'd be in for the long haul. If they go back my time with Yakuza probably ends with this game

you can't do tiger drops in turn-based combat

and it's less than 5% of fights where you even beat someone over the head with a bike

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got to a point where I lose a party member. But also I already have the optional party member and it feels like it was really clear I should not have had them yet?

Like I was just blowing through that whole dungeon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 8: Eternal a hyper violent FPS where noone dies from you violently punching them off a building

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just got to a point where I lose a party member. But also I already have the optional party member and it feels like it was really clear I should not have had them yet?

Nah, its fine. Its why they're there.

Although supporting your theory I didn't get a single party dialog with them until I got the entire final party available to me in the game so.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Instant Grat posted:

you can't do tiger drops in turn-based combat

and it's less than 5% of fights where you even beat someone over the head with a bike

Clobbering entire groups of goons with a single bike and three button presses is the thing I'm missing most from older yakuza games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Yakuza 8: Eternal a hyper violent FPS where noone dies from you violently punching them off a building

Finally, Breakdown 2

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, A lore question:

In Judgement, It basically ends with the last big Kamurocho Family, the Matsugane, without leadership and struggling. But Judgement took place in 2018, which should have been during the Arakawa Betrayal and the Clean Kamurocho 3K project. Was the Shono Alzheimer Experiment, and Kuroiwa's murder spree part of it, or was it happening under the nose of the Police Commissioner even as he was rounding up Tojo left and right as part of a high-profile crime push?

I'm only in Yokohama's starting area at this point, so I don't know if they connect these dots later or not, but it seems really inconsistent. It also matches up with Kiryu's 'death' at the end of Y6 and the Tojo/Yomei Alliance, though that probably fell through quick given the situation.

EDIT:

Fat Samurai posted:

Clobbering entire groups of goons with a single bike and three button presses is the thing I'm missing most from older yakuza games.

Good News! Just make sure they are standing close to the bike, and there you go. I've cleared entire encounters in a single action from this, it's wonderful when it happens.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My announcement predictions:

3/4/5 Remastered & 6 comes to Steam. Superbundle of the Kiryu Saga announced.
RGG Online gets an English port for iOS.
Ishin & Kenzan Remastered English bundle.
Like A Dragon Part VIII: Majima Takes Manhattan is announced as a PS5 exclusive.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

How long will it take to release the remasters? 2 months
Will anyone be killed? Not by Kiryu
Total Tojo clan casualties: 500 holding their arms
Total family casualties Omi: 3000 holding their arms
Total plot casualties : 15 dead

etc

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Kume is a little worm who can't do anything on his own, he was absolutely arrested five minutes after that and then shanked in prison on Sawashiro's orders.

Sawashiro didn't even had the emotional energy left to ask for someone to shank Kume if , to him Masato can at least rest in peace instead of enduring 42 years of emotional and physical turmoil because Sawashiro was a lovely parent.

Besides Kume got a power trip because he got elected and unlike the Prime Minister of Japan, can't be bribed as he is a true believer unlike Masato. Kume didn't exactly left behind his murder weapon and Kasuga throwing accusations at. Look at Shono for example, guy has even less charisma than Kume and was as much as a threat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Eri joins at level 16 (or at least she did for me) which i thought was a pretty clear indicator that you are supposed to get her asap

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Amppelix posted:

Eri joins at level 16 (or at least she did for me) which i thought was a pretty clear indicator that you are supposed to get her asap

If you didn't immediately spend two hours slamming the management game over and over until you got millions of yen after being broke as hell for several chapters are you even a yakuza?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She was 14 for me when my party were around 17, so she joins a couple under the average I think.

Where can you get new weapons for the DLC jobs?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

How long will it take to release the remasters? 2 months
Will anyone be killed? Not by Kiryu
Total Tojo clan casualties: 500 holding their arms
Total family casualties Omi: 3000 holding their arms
Total plot casualties : 15 dead

etc

You forgot one important statistic:
Total number of people somehow surviving clearly fatal injuries:20

I'm still waiting for somebody to be decapitated on screen, yet somehow pulling through and surviving their injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Alright then! Her thumbtack aoe completely blew through the entire dungeon as everything was weak to it and I’m guessing without her you have a 3 man team for parts of the dungeon.

She’s actually pretty good, I just switched Adachi over to Enforcer since his good aoe skills are personal so really he can be in any physical attacking job.

I’m trying Eri as a dealer but I don’t have any dealer weapons and switching multiple party members at once makes you so weak