Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

So this whole time Primal has actually taken place in the Hyborian Age. Awesome :allears:

I had to look that up but yeah. Turns out Primal is Gendy's take on Conan. And I mean that in the most positive way possible. This series is awesome and I hope they keep making more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Incredible.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Anyone checked this out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2EDRB7U6_I

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is the first I'm hearing of it, but now I very much want to check it out.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Fuckin Primal.

Season ender could act as a really good end point or a great jumping off point for a very different feeling show going forward. That was just a perfectly paced and told episode, it's the show expanding its narrative as it's showing Spear and Fang expand their world at the same time. Primal has been focused on the theme of healing from pain, moving forward, momentum and indifference to the brutal world but this is different now. You've got Spear and Fang inquisitive about their world and larger concepts, moving out of comfort and maybe pursuing long term goals that are not just survival.

I like the timing of this too. The show is brilliant and it probably could just keep on telling the same tale of 'Spear and Fang come across some sort of nightmare and then kill the gently caress out of it' and I would be pretty dang happy but i'm also super keen to see where the show could go with a larger plot. By now they've played their 'character died?' card and they've conquered so many foes, how about something a bit more organised? But also... would be just as happy if they solve this poo poo in the next episode and head back to killing nightmare dinos, that's also good. That's reeeaaaally good.

I feel that Tartakovsky's signature flair across all his animation is restraint. Not everything is animated and moving in every frame, his work is all about key frames which convey movement or feeling without needing motion. It gives a real contrast for when things properly kick off and even then the direction will slow down and luxuriate on individual 'panels' which convey rapid actions while also being awesome to look at and not an assault on the eyes like a lot of animation can become when the pace is high. This is Genndy's best show and i'm a huge fan of all of his work, it's a crazy high bar and Primal clears it by more every episode.

Fang excitedly chowing down on the stolen yam was the highlight of the series. Very happy dino.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm so taken by this episode. It shakes up every expectation the series has established, and I have so many thoughts. It was so jarring to hear someone speak in this series! I don't know what language Mira was speaking, or even if it was a real language. Great choice not using subtitles, even while we're getting exposition the storytelling remains visual. I'm so happy that this wasn't a godawful story about a woman driving a rift between our heroes. Fang liked Mira so much by the end of things, and oh my god that dino's face when she was eating the yams. I don't think Fang and Spear are gonna get a crack at rescuing Mira, she may as well have been dragged off in a spaceship for the technological gap between those slavers and Spear. This one's another tragic ending, sadly. I'd kinda prefer to keep Primal in a primal setting though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
god I love Fang

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

god I love Fang

Came here for this too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It was so jarring to hear someone speak in this series! I don't know what language Mira was speaking, or even if it was a real language. Great choice not using subtitles, even while we're getting exposition the storytelling remains visual.

She was speaking Arabic, rough translation: "We lived in a peaceful far away land with my family my heart. One night they came defeated us burned our home and killed many of us. They took us to a cold sad land made us slaves. They sold us i escaped and came to your land"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

She was speaking Arabic, rough translation: "We lived in a peaceful far away land with my family my heart. One night they came defeated us burned our home and killed many of us. They took us to a cold sad land made us slaves. They sold us i escaped and came to your land"

Thanks!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm so taken by this episode. It shakes up every expectation the series has established, and I have so many thoughts. It was so jarring to hear someone speak in this series! I don't know what language Mira was speaking, or even if it was a real language. Great choice not using subtitles, even while we're getting exposition the storytelling remains visual. I'm so happy that this wasn't a godawful story about a woman driving a rift between our heroes. Fang liked Mira so much by the end of things, and oh my god that dino's face when she was eating the yams. I don't think Fang and Spear are gonna get a crack at rescuing Mira, she may as well have been dragged off in a spaceship for the technological gap between those slavers and Spear. This one's another tragic ending, sadly. I'd kinda prefer to keep Primal in a primal setting though.

I mean you shoulda known it wasn't just cavemen and dinosaurs when the last season had some sort of gorilla man tribe and super gorilla drugs for gorilla gladiatorial combat.

Or this season with forest witches and literal zombie dinos lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I mean you shoulda known it wasn't just cavemen and dinosaurs when the last season had some sort of gorilla man tribe and super gorilla drugs for gorilla gladiatorial combat.

Or this season with forest witches and literal zombie dinos lol

I'm not sure which part of my post you're responding to.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

I had to look that up but yeah. Turns out Primal is Gendy's take on Conan. And I mean that in the most positive way possible. This series is awesome and I hope they keep making more of it.

:same:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

god I love Fang

Yams are drat good, so I understand why she's like that.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm not sure which part of my post you're responding to.

Last sentence. Figured you meant you wish they kept primal in primal world as in protozoan/caveman/Jurassic mishmash land. And not some sort of mystical conan age of barbarians type poo poo.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 3, 2020

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Last sentence. Figured you meant you wish they kept primal in primal world as in protozoan/caveman/Jurassic mishmash land. And not some sort of mystical conan age of barbarians type poo poo.

Yeah I want the Weird Tales pulp prehistoric fantasy setting to continue being the focus.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually really interested in the idea that maybe spear is on some sort of "savageland" or something. Ala journey to the center of the earth. Where more advance humans only ever hear about in legend or whatever. Literally grew up on jumanji island with no knowledge of the outside world

Another fish out of water story really.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm ok with the setting update and such but I hope they move back to no dialogue again for next season

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was very brief, but Spear asking Mira about the moon and her simple answer moving him to tears was powerful and I could really feel in my chest the significance of that moment. Spear is smart enough to know to ask questions because he recognizes that Mira knows/understands the world around them. Trying to wrap my mind around how it would feel to suddenly realize that the moon might be more than just glowing shape in the sky, it would be the caveman version of like waking up from the Matrix.

Episode was beautiful and heartbreaking. Is that it? Do we have any information about the future of the series? I'm seriously about to force all my best friends to watch it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's a second season coming.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I wish we had more info than that.

There was a year break between the two halves of the first season, and I don't imagine the pandemic is making the task of putting the new season together any easier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shouldn’t he be called hammer now?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah I just caught up on Primal and uh

binging from Coven of the Damned straight to the finale was an experience :stare:

this show deserves loving awards, if Coven of the Damned specifically doesn't end up going up for Emmys and poo poo I'm gonna be very very annoyed. that might actually, without exaggeration, be one of the greatest half hours of animation i've ever seen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm actually really interested in the idea that maybe spear is on some sort of "savageland" or something. Ala journey to the center of the earth. Where more advance humans only ever hear about in legend or whatever. Literally grew up on jumanji island with no knowledge of the outside world

Another fish out of water story really.

The slow-burn arc of the full season has been making a thought like this bubble up in my head too: The world of Spear and Fang is not a world that can have been the status quo forever. It is WAY too dangerous for either of them to survive on their own without extraordinary teamups and strength and luck like these two have. The world has been steamrolling them — flattening their respective families, wiping out whole herds of animals, just WAY out-of-proportion brutish to account for any kind of long-term survival by any humans of Spear's kind, or really any of a whole bunch of species we run across. The fact that he was able to raise a family for as long as he had looks like a goddamn miracle.

So what the hell has happened recently? How has the natural balance been thrown so wildly out of whack? Where did this insane tilt of the odds come from? It feels like there is some major reveal yet to come, along the lines of the above, where we find out that as recently as like ten years ago there were significant populations of humans in defensible communities, none of the huge red pack-hunting theropods that we met in the first episode, no zombie virus, no herd-massacring ninja dinosaurs, no man-recycling witches, no Hulk-serum gorilla gladiators ... etc etc. Because there's no way any human would live to adulthood in this world as we see it, let alone evolve to the point of building ships and smelting manacles

e: I mean it's kind of Tartakovsky's MO to pit his heroes against impossible odds every time — Samurai Jack had to keep upping the ante every episode, to the point where it flirted with sacrificing any semblance of plausibility for the sake of chasing the awesomeness dragon — but in that case it was all justified by the premise, we knew why the world was like that. Jack was just that cool

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 6, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New Animaniacs is weird. It’s incredibly political in a way that I have no idea who the target audience is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lower Decks is real fun y’all and I don’t even particularly care about Star Trek.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

New Animaniacs is weird. It’s incredibly political in a way that I have no idea who the target audience is.

I haven’t seen it but there’s absolutely no way the target is anything other than the original audience. Have you seen modern cartoons? Kids today would never put this on in a million years if their parents don’t make them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t seen it but there’s absolutely no way the target is anything other than the original audience. Have you seen modern cartoons? Kids today would never put this on in a million years if their parents don’t make them.

Hey! Teen Titians Go and the new Ducktales are very kid friendly :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original Animaniacs was weirdly adult too, stuffed full of references to the film industry that could easily be over 50 years old. I tried rewatching some of it, jumping to random episodes, and there's one where Rita and Runt hang out with Ross Perot, and the episode didn't really seem to comment on any of the politics about him, he's just a recognizable guy (within the very small window of time the episode was written) with a funny voice.

There's also the Ben Stein episode that's a joke on the very adult experience of meeting someone at a party who is just incredibly boring but you can't get away.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Art Deco-esque animation on the Pinky and Brain opening is gorgeous and really harks back to the 90s and its era of warm animation.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The original Animaniacs was weirdly adult too, stuffed full of references to the film industry that could easily be over 50 years old. I tried rewatching some of it, jumping to random episodes, and there's one where Rita and Runt hang out with Ross Perot, and the episode didn't really seem to comment on any of the politics about him, he's just a recognizable guy (within the very small window of time the episode was written) with a funny voice.

There's also the Ben Stein episode that's a joke on the very adult experience of meeting someone at a party who is just incredibly boring but you can't get away.

Yeah, I remember as a kid watching the Pinky and the Brain bit that was a nearly verbatim reenactment of the Orson Welles "In July" blooper reel, and being very confused by the whole thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Animaniacs taught me who James Cagney was.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Animaniacs seems like it was a show specifically for smarty-pants little kids to watch in order to get the feeling that there were jokes that they were not getting, like the entire premise of the show was to go over its audience’s head, if that makes sense

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's such a weird mixture, like you'd have a sketch which one one hand is a song parody of "America" from West Side Story riffing on Scorsese tropes and horrific mob movie violence and on the other hand is part of an interminable continuation of tired, repetitive SNL-grade schtick of groan-inducing one-liners and catchphrases.

In the 90s post-Simpsons and post-Disney-renaissance it was all in vogue to have an animated show where critics would stroke their beards and say "it is aimed at kids but has jokes for the adults too" but as often as not it seemed like the Animaniacs writers had somehow managed to hit on a formula which would be off-putting and incomprehensible to both its potential audiences

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The "Good Idea, Bad Idea" sketches redeem all.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bust Rodd posted:

The Animaniacs seems like it was a show specifically for smarty-pants little kids to watch in order to get the feeling that there were jokes that they were not getting, like the entire premise of the show was to go over its audience’s head, if that makes sense

There's a throwaway Fantasy Island joke in the new season, and it's the moment I said, "Ah, yeah, now this is Animaniacs."

I agree, though, that the political humor/commentary falls into the same space as, say, SNL or Daily Show ex-pats, where a gag about Bill Clinton playing the sax/Ross Perot being short/Bob Dole being old was fine in the '90s, but now politics feels so much more life-or-death to more people that saying, "Trump is an ugly, smelly butt" is not enough for people who dislike him and an affront to his fans.

It just feels like the writers were mad enough about current events to want to say something, but they couldn't fit a stronger point into the usual light-hearted Warner torment. I'm not sure that's the Animaniacs' fault, but I think the writers in 2018 probably should have anticipated how weary everyone is of the same arguments playing out for four years and either found a different angle or a new subject.

The Marie Antoinette sketch and the bun control sketch handled "political" subjects better while still being funny, and more general slapstick/wordplay fare came out on top. Pinky and the Brain was consistently good. I think those are the parts kids won't mind when sat down in front of their parents' cartoon reboot.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I remember as a kid watching the Pinky and the Brain bit that was a nearly verbatim reenactment of the Orson Welles "In July" blooper reel, and being very confused by the whole thing.

There's a sketch in the new season which I can only assume is one of the directors having an adorable kid they recorded, then animated a segment around it. A lot of those last segments felt like they were trying to showcase something in a completely different style than the rest of the show.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I liked the new Mareceline Adventure Time episode. A lot of sweet character moments, and interesting flashbacks. Also grown up Finn!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was never sure who the intended audience was for Classic Animaniacs. There were many, many Jerry Lewis references. There was an episode that was a parody of the documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now. Tiny Toons had a lot of similar stuff, whenever I didn't get a joke it was inevitably either 1) US politics, or 2) a 1960's television comedian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZase5Q8CwA
This movie came out in 1992 and I challenge you that literally nobody born in the eighties knew who Morey Amsterdam was. I only know now because I literally googled it after twenty eight years of Not Knowing. I don't really have a thesis statement here, just disjointed rambling about jokes I had to look up several decades after hearing them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think it's easy to forget that the original Animaniacs had an insane budget because it had Spielberg's name on it, and up to a certain age group "cartoon with constantly-played unique music with amazingly fluid slapstick animation" is enough to be enthralling.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m afraid to watch Nu-Maniacs because I worry it will make me miss Freakazoid too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You don't need to get the references most of the time.