Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

New California. The mod author has some... interesting bits of dialogue in his creation.

What are the specifics? All I know is the dumb jock versus nerd option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BurritoJustice posted:

What are the specifics? All I know is the dumb jock versus nerd option

I brought it up a little ways back but there's a romantic interest companion who gets huffy and calls her rival a cum dumpster at one point.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Isn't one of the companions a nerdy "while you JOCKS were having sex, I studied the blade" type?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Viva New Vegas wabbajack is going away permanently within the next week, so if anyone wants to do an easy quick install I'd recommend grabbing it now before it goes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Give us the goss

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Searchlight Horror
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39364

Sound on.

https://imgur.com/k8ImFAJ

https://imgur.com/3OQVBfX

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1332893454771363842?s=20

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's this mod btw

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69577

quote:

All this mod does is literally replace the intro with a 6 second clip of the Nostalgia Critic shooting you.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

These are the stupid mods I love to see.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61931

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

from the replies:
https://twitter.com/Scarfulhu/status/1333056158962216960

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The New Vegas smash cut to black intro is great no matter what comes before it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I feel like their heads are too small. It looks like a regular sized fox head, giving the appearance of a regular fox operating some sort of advanced robot suit, ala Pinky and the Brain

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Something's changed within me. As I go through the Viva New Vegas mod list I find myself just getting annoyed at looking at this giant mod list. I finished the Core module but I dunno if I want to even bother anymore. It used to be I would spend hours meticulously going through and pruning mods but now I just want to play the games. What's wrong with me??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Something's changed within me. As I go through the Viva New Vegas mod list I find myself just getting annoyed at looking at this giant mod list. I finished the Core module but I dunno if I want to even bother anymore. It used to be I would spend hours meticulously going through and pruning mods but now I just want to play the games. What's wrong with me??

I'd concentrate more on game-play mods than the billion graphical improvement ones.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Skwirl posted:

I'd concentrate more on game-play mods than the billion graphical improvement ones.

This and also, VNV is very modular, just go through the listed mods in the modules and go with whatever catches your eye.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

With the planet burning down whose got time for that bullshit honestly

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I actually lied, after about an hour I couldn't help myself and I went back in on a full install

edit: So far, so good...

edit 2: its... its beautiful.... it even has quick loot and holstered weapons showing up on your dude. the only thing i can think of that might be cool to add is the silent takedowns from that Solid Project mod but I dare not touch this setup for fear it shall explode

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 3, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Playing a stable New Vegas game that runs at 60fps feels wrong. Wrong! Yet it feels so right...

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So after years of not playing glorious New Vegas, I have a computer that should run it better than anything before it. Modding it up now, I think I installed NVSE correctly, but when I type in GetNVSEversion, it gives me NVSE. 5, when the directions say it should be value 1. Any ideas? I think it's correct, just want to make sure.

Man, it's been a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So after years of not playing glorious New Vegas, I have a computer that should run it better than anything before it. Modding it up now, I think I installed NVSE correctly, but when I type in GetNVSEversion, it gives me NVSE. 5, when the directions say it should be value 1. Any ideas? I think it's correct, just want to make sure.

Man, it's been a while.

You've done it right, maybe you're looking at really old instructions? NVSE is on version 5.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Man, it's been a while.

Reposting this from the main FNV Thread:

ThaumPenguin posted:

This gets repeated a lot here (especially by me), but you may want to check out Viva New Vegas. If you follow it, you'll end up with a modern and stable overhaul of the game.

It'll take some hours to set up and it might not include every mod you loved back in the day, but I'd heavily recommend giving it a go. Even if you do end up making your own setup, I'd still suggest using VNV's Core module as a foundation.

VNV doesn't actually use the official version of NVSE, it uses xNVSE, which is a fairly new continuation made by a different team from the original. It offers more bells and whistles for modders.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Reposting this from the main FNV Thread:
Viva New Vegas

VNV doesn't actually use the official version of NVSE, it uses xNVSE, which is a fairly new continuation made by a different team from the original. It offers more bells and whistles for modders.

Thanks for this, I'll have to look into it, might be much simpler than what I'm trying to do. Is there a complete list of mods that Viva New Vegas includes? I don't want to have to download to find out.

I'm also having trouble getting the 4GB mod installed. I was moving the .exe file and another over to the main folder, and then tried to run it through FOMM so I could use NVSE with it, but it just gave me a loading bar and nothing ever happened (I did change the custom load command so that it would run the 4gb.exe file to start, but that did not work, just a temporary loading bar that did nothing).

I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: Ahh, I see, well thank you then. VVVV

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 3, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Viva New Vegas is a modding guide, not a mod in itself. It is its own list. It includes detailed instructions on how to install things like NVSE, the 4GB Patcher and so on.

You also absolutely shouldn't use FOMM as it is heavily outdated (I don't think I've used it for like... eight years?). Mod Organizer 2 is the standard these days as it makes modding much less of a pain. It uses programming magic to make the whole process much more... reversible, which is great if it turns out you messed something up. The VNV guide uses MO2 as a prerequisite and as such features extensive instructions on how to install and use it.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 3, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's also a mod pack called Viva New Vegas on Wabbajack.

But here's the list/guide, just read it to see what's in it.

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

The modpack i think mostly follows that

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I'm trying to do the Viva New Vegas, I assume I need to uninstall New Vegas as it is (I downloaded a few things, moved a few things into the New Vegas folder in Steam), but I'm confused.

1. Two of the programs the viva new vegas asked me to install (VC++) just won't work on my computer. Don't know, when I try to run them it says "Can't Run on my PC".

2. If I want to just painstakingly install a few mods, I want to make sure the 4GB is working. Is there any console command I can put in to see if it is working? The 4gb application won't seem to launch New Vegas itself, I found a video guide that seemed to show I did everything correct. Do I need to just move over the application file and .dll file, or do I need to move over other folders as well? I really wish the guide was a bit more friendly.

Just FYI I have poo poo for internet out in the country so that may cause trouble with downloads

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That VC++ error message is somewhat confounding, what's your version of Windows? (Also is it the x86 or x64 version of that operating system?)

Here are VNV's instructions for the 4GB Patcher:

In short, try launching the game and using the "getislaa" console command.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Thanks for that. I'm not sure why the VC++ didn't work, it may just be my terrible space internet. Did something similar for 7-zip at first til I found a version that I could install.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So Mojave Music Radio kinda sucks. I really just dont like the songs on it. However THIS:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62551?tab=files

This mod rules. Notable features: track name and artists popup, hotkey to skip songs, ability to disable individual songs. so far all the songs have been good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So this happened. The following quote is from the guy who runs Viva New Vegas

quote:

well, its here. the long awaited (and dreaded) overhaul to Viva New Vegas. Let me preface all this by explaining the reasoning behind this: I just started university this year, so that combined with work and my family takes up most of my time. I don't have enough time/patience to maintain a guide as big as VNV. Thats why starting today, the guide has been completely overhauled. Seriously, its not even recognizable anymore. It is much more lightweight now, so it should be much easier to maintain for me. There's also been a complete site redesign that looks quite nice if i do say so myself. If you are wondering about the old VNV, it is now called "Living in New Vegas", and can be found here

https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/livinginnewvegas.

i WILL NOT be supporting it anymore, however this will have a grandfather cause since it wouldnt be fair for people who were in the middle of installing the guide before all this, so for the next couple days i will still provide support. Along with not provding support for living in new vegas, i wont support modified versions of the guide anymore (this only includes adding mods, not omitting mods). I know that may go against the philosophy of modularity, but remember my time constraints. Hope you all understand my situation, and have fun with the new VNV: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

I picked literally the exact perfect time to do a VNV install. The new one is EXTREMELY simple compared to the old one, like 30 minutes or so compared to several hours. This is pure speculation, but I get the feeling that Josh Sawyer's tweet has something to do with the removal of JsawyerUltimate and the rest of PushTheWinbutton's mods.

Based on how well my experience with the old install is going, I highly recommend giving that a go before its gone forever. If you want to make your old install 50% faster, you can probably ignore most of the visual stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 4, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

This is pure speculation, but I get the feeling that Josh Sawyer's tweet has something to do with the removal of JsawyerUltimate and the rest of PushTheWinbutton's mods.
???

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Like I said, pure speculation. All I know is I did the full install of Viva New Vegas a few days ago and it included JSawyerUltimate and the rest of that guys mods. I joined the discord out of curiosity and to maybe have a fun chat or two about the mod pack and the tweet you made about JsawyerUltimate got mentioned a few times. Then suddenly this new version of the modpack goes up with just the classic Jsawyer.esp instead of ultimate. Maybe those events are unrelated but either way I found it amusing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The tweet was something like "if I wanted the changes that mod makes I'd have put them in my mod" and it got interpreted as a sick burn. From the sound of it the reason is probably that jsawyer is just a single esp and you don't have to tinker with settings in the mod menu when you're starting a new game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

2house2fly posted:

The tweet was something like "if I wanted the changes that mod makes I'd have put them in my mod" and it got interpreted as a sick burn. From the sound of it the reason is probably that jsawyer is just a single esp and you don't have to tinker with settings in the mod menu when you're starting a new game

Thanks I was going through his twitter trying to figure what tweet they were talking about. I didn't find anything, but I did find this retweet

https://twitter.com/Bricky/status/1334317018980311040

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
right, sorry, for some reason I thought this discussion was had in this thread recently but as I go back through it I see that I was mistaken, it took place months ago. I'm referring to this tweet specifically: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1318676514670473216?s=20

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 5, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/avoid-mods.html posted:

Sinitar's Gameplay Overhaul (or anything made by Sinitar): Sinitar knows nothing about modding, as shown by his guide that includes most of the mods on this list. SGO is full of bugs, broken features, awful balance, and Sinitar's trademark typos. Avoid anything he makes at all costs

e; unrelated - still have no idea what this is about but lol

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 5, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Sinitar is a mess. His "guide" is just a huge list of random mods, basically half the nexus, with no real instructions of what to install and how, and a comment saying you can't and shouldn't install all of them

Holy loving poo poo I read SGO and it's the worst mod I've ever seen.

The tick fix meme is that someone connected to NVSR (old and bad), did a huge rant about tick fix that was hilariously misinformed. Stutter remover turned out causing some of the most insidious stutter in modded installs and it took a while for people to realise that because it was seen as a default mod. It's become a bit of a joke

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 5, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

There's a couple of additional changes that are in JSawyer Ultimate and a couple of things that were taken out because they're already done by other mods, but that's more or less it? I still use it personally, I think it's pretty good. Also the other PushToWin mods are good, IMHO.

That said, while I did enjoy tinkering with graphic mods and installing New Vegas Reloaded or whatever it's called, the new modding guide is probably overall a much better way to present it to a returning player. I think the older version is probably still archived somewhere anyway. Honestly, as long as you can follow the instructions in the old CORE about installing FNVEdit, you can handle conflicts yourself.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

So this happened. The following quote is from the guy who runs Viva New Vegas

I picked literally the exact perfect time to do a VNV install. The new one is EXTREMELY simple compared to the old one, like 30 minutes or so compared to several hours. This is pure speculation, but I get the feeling that Josh Sawyer's tweet has something to do with the removal of JsawyerUltimate and the rest of PushTheWinbutton's mods.

Based on how well my experience with the old install is going, I highly recommend giving that a go before its gone forever. If you want to make your old install 50% faster, you can probably ignore most of the visual stuff.

Oh noo! I was halfway through using this guide the other evening and now it has all changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

VideoGames posted:

Oh noo! I was halfway through using this guide the other evening and now it has all changed.

The old guide still exists. The annoucement I originally quoted has a link in there