Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Love it, very cool scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Some recent-ish stuff I've been working on

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I like the middle one a lot, the tree is interesting and it just seems to fit in that section of the wall just about perfectly.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
the cup is also very good but i think the third one is my favourite

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Took my camera out this evening.

The last one, I wish I had focused on the hydrant or gotten everything in focus, but I like the way it is framed.

Not the best stuff I've shot, but any tips are welcome! For example, for the first two, I don't know which way it should be. Should I have it framed to show some under the bridge like in the first one, or is the second one better? Or do they both suck?

I'm a big time newbie.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Tried to document how the parks in my city were being used this summer. Was going to add them to the documentary thread, but, well. If any has any feedback or critique I would be delighted.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I like those a lot. I don't have much to comment, but I like the way that each park is shown in the context of the larger city, with buildings rising in the backgrounds. It feels like you're showing a small slice of life in a large city.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

eggsovereasy posted:

Some recent-ish stuff I've been working on

Really dig the lack of shadows in the center of the last one, feels wrong somehow

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

Woofer posted:

The last one, I wish I had focused on the hydrant or gotten everything in focus, but I like the way it is framed.

Not the best stuff I've shot, but any tips are welcome! For example, for the first two, I don't know which way it should be. Should I have it framed to show some under the bridge like in the first one, or is the second one better? Or do they both suck?

I'm a big time newbie.

I think you have a decent sense of composition, as shown most by the first and the last pictures (though, as you note, it would have been better if the hydrant/everything was in focus: the subject is the hydrant). Of the shots of the overpass, I prefer the first, it's got five roughly horizontal stripes, each with a distinct colour/texture and the red pipe as contrast. The second has a huge amount of sky on the top, feels unbalanced.

But I'm not sure about the content. A do-not-enter sign, a fire hydrant, buildings, etc--all these photos without anything else are very generic. Feels like you're testing out a camera and figuring out how the controls work.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Woofer posted:

I'm a big time newbie.

To me this is the most successful shot. The brightly lit tower looming over the houses in shadow evokes a feeling while the rest are just photos of things or nice geometry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I probably should have had an ND filter on to better deal with the sun, but at this point I was at least 2 miles from my takeoff point, and hundreds of feet both up from the water and out from the shore. Whaddaya gonna do :shrug:

DJI_0256.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I probably should have had an ND filter on to better deal with the sun, but at this point I was at least 2 miles from my takeoff point, and hundreds of feet both up from the water and out from the shore. Whaddaya gonna do :shrug:

DJI_0256.jpg
by Matt F, on Flickr

Very pretty, I think a 16:9 crop to remove a chunk of the bottom water would work well.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Underground landscapes!

These are from June 2019 at Longhorn Cavern State Park. I was on a fast-moving group tour (with another one right behind us) so no time to set up a tripod or spend almost any time at all on composition. My favorite is the last one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've done those cave tours in a couple spots and yeah it's fun, but really frustrating to try and take photos.

Two that I've done that were 100% self guided were Carlsbad caverns and lava river cave in Oregon. Not much in the way of original compositions in Carlsbad (it's heavily photographed) but the freedom is really nice and if you zoom in a bit more you can come away with some original stuff. Lava river cave is kind of featureless as it's a long hollow tube but it's fun.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Lava river cave is where you bring your bald friend and ise their head as a bounce for your flash

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
B&W slopes are rad, I was just working on one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cherry Creek State Park by B. B., on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's nice, although I had to check twice to see that the poster name was correct :D.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Attempted a bit of different style to what I'd normally shoot today and failed extremely hard, these two are the best of what I got.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Blackhawk posted:

Attempted a bit of different style to what I'd normally shoot today and failed extremely hard, these two are the best of what I got.

Really dig that first one a lot

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

Reshoot the second a little higher so the slope of the hill and the slope of the dirt on the billboard line up. It would also eliminate the tangencies that the tree and sign have with the hill.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Foggy night by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I like it.

Two more from the fail-roll of film that I thought were worth a second look. More contrast than I wanted but it was a bright day and the film I used is a bit contrasty generally.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Here’s a dumb question from a newbie. How do some of you decide what to take a picture of? I enjoy the pictures, but they seem to be of very obscure things that would 100% never catch my eye. Some examples just from recent posts:

I really like these, especially the middle one. But why did you take pictures of these things? What caught your eye?

I ask because when I’ve gone out with my camera, these are the types of pictures I’ve been trying to take. I just.... don’t know how?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Woofer posted:

Here’s a dumb question from a newbie. How do some of you decide what to take a picture of? I enjoy the pictures, but they seem to be of very obscure things that would 100% never catch my eye. Some examples just from recent posts:

I really like these, especially the middle one. But why did you take pictures of these things? What caught your eye?

I ask because when I’ve gone out with my camera, these are the types of pictures I’ve been trying to take. I just.... don’t know how?

That's the magic of photography! It's about the feeling of the scene. An intuitive, internal process. Photography is about seeing, and knowing what to take a picture of is about developing your sensibilities about what you like looking at, I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s also extremely personal. Some of my favorite shots get zero traction on IG or Flickr and the ones where I’m like “yeah I guess I’ll put that up” have people asking for to buy the originals. Then other times you think “this is gonna be great” and it is.

There is no accounting for taste, especially in art.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i've been thinking a lot about this joel meyerowitz interview answer lately:

quote:

You go someplace to be there. You take a vacation. You want to go investigate a middle-sized city. Sometimes you’re asked, sometimes you go because there’s a change in your life, and you just commit yourself to that change. And then you take the first step when you’re there, and that produces a response, and then you have another response. If you like the way the response feels, you keep on opening to it.

There is a dawning awareness that you feel good in this place. Something here makes you attentive, brings you to an awakened state. But you can’t know that beforehand. You can fantasize about a place: “Oh I’m going to photograph China.” You go there and it’s overwhelming, and you don’t know why you came, and you feel terribly separate from the whole thing, and foreign. So you make a mistake by projecting ahead. But if you just go to a place because that’s the next step in your life, and you’re an open person, at least in your photographic life, you begin to ask questions of it. So I think the reasons for going to a place are as normal as those for doing anything else. The way you respond when you’re there is more specific. Bells go off that are precisely your bells. You are aligned with the inner coordinates of your being, and you suddenly feel in the right place,. it may be the slant of the light, it may be even the smell, something not visible; you may feel yourself rooted to the spot where suddenly there’s a smell of salt water mixed with roses, and it’s got your number. At that moment you know, “I’m alive. Here, now.” And what’s there? Whatever you make of it. Sometimes it’s ephemeral and nonviable. Ordinary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Really like that shot and the colors and low contrast. what was it shot on? Also, are these in Georgia?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Really like that shot and the colors and low contrast. what was it shot on? Also, are these in Georgia?

Thanks, shot it on Portra 400. They are all from the Nashville area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012