Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ah thanks to all who posted the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

ironically, it's probably one of the safer planes out there now, assuming they fixed everything correctly; few other aircraft designs will have been gone over in as much detail as the MAX.

I've mulled it over for years whether to call this the Odwalla effect or the Jack In The Box effect. I never realized those were both regional (Washington/Seattle centric) though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The JT15 uses an electric starter/generator, and I don't think the S-211 has an APU. What it DOES have is a vapor-cycle pack for pressurization and heating/cooling. Safe money is that duct leads to the heat exchanger(s) for the pack(s?).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

The JT15 uses an electric starter/generator, and I don't think the S-211 has an APU. What it DOES have is a vapor-cycle pack for pressurization and heating/cooling. Safe money is that duct leads to the heat exchanger(s) for the pack(s?).

Vapor cycle for heating, too? That's interesting. Is it still using bleed air for pressurization?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

A cruise is still a good way to have a chance of seeing a green flash sunset though.

Is this actually a thing, or is this the joke?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no that's real

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMq3cqO__Yw

I've tried looking for it many times, never seen it.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I always presumed a flight deck would have too many lights to be able to get a proper impression of the stars and milky way.
I'm lucky enough to live in a dark sky area and it's so beautiful, you can see messier clusters with your naked eye and even andromeda if you know what to look for.
The biggest thing people struggle with is that they have to let their eyes adjust for at least 30 minutes with no artificial light...and well people STRUGGLE hard to not look at their phone for that long ruining their vision. :cripes:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
This is an unusual way to hunt for mountain goats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8djWfNmJlKo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
so many bad decisions

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

helno posted:

Jesus spray making GBS threads christ. I forgot what you said about mountain goats, I was just enjoying a nice gliding video which I do from time to time. Then suddenly they were on death's door. Really shows how it can sneak up on you, but they did walk into it on purpose. Looks like the ol' "if you dive fast through it, it doesn't count".

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Turning into the mountains in clouds was a real mistake, I think they might have hit sink and gotten slow trying to fight it, but I didn't pay attention to all their instruments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Flying a glider around clouds seems dumb to begin with, throwing in mountains as well is even more dumb.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

no that's real

Literally a blink and you miss it though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

helno posted:

This is illegal as well as against common sense, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have never considered whether gliders can be flown IFR, but it's certainly missing most of the equipment that would be required to do so in the USA at least. It hasn't even got an attitude indicator.

Jeeeeesus christ that guy though. Incredibly stupid decision to get into the clouds, but he doesn't even seem to be watching his loving instruments. Pay attention from about 2:30 and you can see he's got at least three indications that he's in a dive: the variometer is blooping, you can see his airspeed rapidly increasing, and of course the altimeter is winding down. But he doesn't appear to realize what is going on. Unbelievable

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 20, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

helno posted:

the suggested videos lead to another clip of some idiot flying a glider pass 6" over the runway and then attempting the 180 of death, with predictable results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I have never considered whether gliders can be flown IFR, but it's certainly missing most of the equipment that would be required to do so in the USA at least. It hasn't even got an attitude indicator.

Apparently the answer is yes, gliders absolutely can fly IFR, you need to be an instrument rated private pilot of course. Theres a lot of racing/soaring/other special stuff going on up in class A airspace after all.

In looking for this I found a more fun question, can balloons fly IFR? https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/balloon-ifr.90058/

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The more typical way to fly a glider inside the instrument system is to be over 18,000 feet. In areas where that's possible, you often have glider boxes that get opened when someone wants to go for altitude, but no one is exactly flying IFR in those conditions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I should have been more precise in my wording; I could see how there are safe and legal situations where you would fly a glider IFR, but flying one in IMC seems much sketchier. How do you do a missed approach?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sagebrush posted:

I should have been more precise in my wording; I could see how there are safe and legal situations where you would fly a glider IFR, but flying one in IMC seems much sketchier. How do you do a missed approach?

RATO

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Very carefully?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There is some weird regulation stuff with gliders, they're basically allowed to fly in cloud (which is not equivalent to flying IFR and/or in controlled airspace). But that doesn't mean they should. It's not like the biggest problem of IMC is that the law comes and infringes upon your freedoms, it's mostly the mountain that does it.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Aeronautical Insanity: It is not the air law you should worry about, it is the mountain law

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Letmebefrank posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: It is not the air law you should worry about, it is the mountain law

"found cumulogranite instead" (from the linked reddit post)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Neither air law or alternate law yields to Newton's law.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Letmebefrank posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: It is not alternate law you should worry about, it is the mountain law

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Love the part where there’s essentially a Y in the road and one way has visibility and the other is complete cloud cover over mountains and they choose the latter. Ffffuuuuuuuck that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

helno posted:

I though they crashed when the camera flipped backwards

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I've never flown a glider but I feel like you're just poking around in clouds up high and would only do visual approaches to airports.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think missing is an option.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Godholio posted:

I don't think missing is an option.

Yeah at some point you are going to hit something, question is do you get to choose what you are hitting and how.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Oh like you all don't needlessly go IIMC in mountainous terrain just to spice things up a lil' gimme a break.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Gliders don't do missed approaches

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The "missed" approach procedure is lining up on whatever seems like it will hurt the least while you experience a sense of longing for your airfield.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pro-click article: https://taskandpurpose.com/.amp/news/air-force-nuke-sniffer-retirement-lucifers-chariot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

But the planes replacing them, three renovated KC-135R tankers that once belonged to the National Guard, are no spring chickens either. In fact, they’re nearly as old as 582, the Omaha-World reported.

:rip:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, but maybe these were built on a Wednesday!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

And no plans to procure a proper (ie not built during the Kennedy Administration) replacement (I assume)...at least until someone comes up with a way to enrich the Congresscritters involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And no plans to procure a proper (ie not built during the Kennedy Administration) replacement (I assume)...at least until someone comes up with a way to enrich the Congresscritters involved

General dynamics sniffer kit on a 737 max, raytheon systems design, a lockmart as primary contractor, work done at a ng facility.