Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hell yeah it does, much appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://bikerumor.com/2020/11/12/bh-ultralight-evo-disc-road-bike-drops-to-just-750g-goes-fully-integrated-from-tip-to-tail/

Why is this junction so lumpy?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DevCore posted:

Thanks again!
Aero isn't a huge concern for me. This is primarily going to be a town traveler (1-10 mile trips) and occasionally some longer joy rides (30-100 miles).
My biggest concerns are comfort (in both fit - has always been difficult for me and longevity), weight and diversity.

I wouldn't dismiss aero so quickly, it's hugely important at all speeds and more so than weight, unless you're either going up only steep climbs or frequently carrying your bike up stairs or such.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I bet it thinks you’re lumpy :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I wouldn't dismiss aero so quickly, it's hugely important at all speeds and more so than weight, unless you're either going up only steep climbs or frequently carrying your bike up stairs or such.
aero is everything

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

aero is everything

Not convinced about that rear wheel

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Anyone else scroll through facebook marketplace from time to time to see what ridiculous bike stuff comes up? I was struck by the discrepancy between these two listings:

Free:

About an hours drive away on a farm somewhere. No mention of what size or other photos, or any other information other than that the tires are flat. Tempting to ask/ just go get it, but I don't really need it.

drat, that's my size.

Around where I live people give away decent bikes. Just leave them at the curb with a FREE sign.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not convinced about that rear wheel

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Now w're talking

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Now w're talking
were just getting started

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
New frame pack day! I made the pockets bigger, shaved 40 grams, and it now matches my handlebar tape. Everything’s coming up Milhouse. Too bad no one sees it bc it’s dark and cold at 530am and they’re sawing logs while I’m hitting that bike high :boom:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gotta. go. fast.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

numberoneposter posted:

were just getting started

I'm pretty sure I would rip my entire face off riding this thing.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

:flip::flipoff:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

New frame pack day! I made the pockets bigger, shaved 40 grams, and it now matches my handlebar tape. Everything’s coming up Milhouse. Too bad no one sees it bc it’s dark and cold at 530am and they’re sawing logs while I’m hitting that bike high :boom:

Looks Rad! What material did you use?
I found it hard to get anything good locally so just used some poly-canvas or something on my first attempt, and then sprayed it with that stuff you use to make jackets and things waterproof. I haven't used it yet but plan to soon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eurobeat rules and is perfect for Zwift races imo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i am so

so

so tempted to track down a smart trainer, this past week has rained like literally all day every day

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

There's a notice at the top stating "Trash has changed." and I got worried something bad had happened to TTrash :ohdear:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

There's a notice at the top stating "Trash has changed."
Yeah, google changes stuff all the time

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
forget eurobeat, listen to some mid-90s gabber/hardcore and get those legs spinning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErcPJAL0B30

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Looks Rad! What material did you use?
I found it hard to get anything good locally so just used some poly-canvas or something on my first attempt, and then sprayed it with that stuff you use to make jackets and things waterproof. I haven't used it yet but plan to soon.

Nice pack. Fits the bike well.

I picked up some vx15 remnants from one of my vendors and had some time in production this week to make a me-project. This is only half though. I’ve got another part so that it will become a full triangle pack where the two parts stick together. I’ll be matching it to a saddle bag and maybe a top tube bag if i have enough fabric left. It’s fun sewing these things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Took DickWood™ around the big island again yesterday.

Didn’t climb Kaloko this time, but it was still a nice ride, rode across some single lane thing across a small valley, rode on an old runway that’s a park now, saw another bike friday in the back of a truck, and ate some bomb sushi.

bikes are good :hmmyes:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
insanely jealous gently caress

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Yeah, no kidding.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with Schrodinger's Covid wishing the weather outside was less poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

e.pilot posted:

it’s prismatic too

ICAN TT016

You are my hero and I would ride bikes with you

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

serious gaylord posted:

You are my hero and I would ride bikes with you

I travel for work, where are you located that might be a possibility (once covid chills out a bit)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I travel for work, where are you located that might be a possibility (once covid chills out a bit)

He's in the UK; if you venture this way I'm sure there's a few who'd go for a ride!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

What are the recommended tires for a summer Sunday funday bike? Tootlin, sportives and the like.

Something 28-32mm, tubeless, preferably tan wall. Looking for suppleness/comfort over all-out speed, and ideally more affordable than GP5ks. Like everywhere else the road surface here is generally awful.

WTB exposure? Panaracer gravelking slick? Vittoria Rubino?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

What are the recommended tires for a summer Sunday funday bike? Tootlin, sportives and the like.

Something 28-32mm, tubeless, preferably tan wall. Looking for suppleness/comfort over all-out speed, and ideally more affordable than GP5ks. Like everywhere else the road surface here is generally awful.

I know you said affordable, but you also said supple:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700cx32-stampede-pass/

Otherwise, I think you just about summed up all the tanwalls in that size range.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tigren posted:

I know you said affordable, but you also said supple:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700cx32-stampede-pass/

Otherwise, I think you just about summed up all the tanwalls in that size range.

Stampede Pass requires tubes. Bon Jon Pass is the narrowest tubeless compatible tire they make at 35c.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Exposure for tubeless, shikoro if tubed.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's in the UK; if you venture this way I'm sure there's a few who'd go for a ride!

I’d be down for a UK goon meet once covid is over.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Nice pack. Fits the bike well.
I picked up some vx15 remnants from one of my vendors and had some time in production this week to make a me-project. This is only half though. I’ve got another part so that it will become a full triangle pack where the two parts stick together. I’ll be matching it to a saddle bag and maybe a top tube bag if i have enough fabric left. It’s fun sewing these things.

Thanks! Your project sounds pretty cool, I decided I'd had enough bike stuff for right now so my current project is re-upholstering some old chairs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

e.pilot posted:

Im south coast UK. If you ever made it out here I'd break out the truly 1 off Belgian flag inspired Sunday Club Kit for true trash mile riding.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I just fully restored a 1970s electroforged Schwinn traveler made in Chicago with all original components except for the indicator chain And trigger assembly for that sturmey archer planetary gear system inside the hub of the back wheel. It looks super classic. Anyway I’ll post a picture of it later if I can.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Bike right of way question:

I was turning right (blue) onto the side street while a cyclist (red) was riding down the multi-use path. I had a green light and went to turn turn right when the guy flies through across the crosswalk (that was showing “don’t cross”) and I had to hit the brakes and my horn. He started yelling “I have the right of way” and rode off.

Granted, I’m a newer cyclist that just started this year, and I understand how to ride on the road (and how to treat cyclists in traffic when I’m driving), but this guy was in the wrong, correct? It’s a signaled crosswalk. I ride that path often, and at the very least come to a stop and look before I cross.

This is in the USA, if it matter.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Depends on too many factors but frankly who cares.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Salt Fish posted:

Depends on too many factors but frankly who cares.

Education really, because I ride that, and I want to make sure I’m following the rules when I’m driving.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Why would a cyclist pay attention to crosswalk lights instead of a green traffic light, they're not walking. Check your mirror and shoulder before turning and yield to more vulnerable road users please.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Heres the rules: Infrastructure in the US is designed to make it impossible for cars and bikes to coexist. There are no rules because from the bikes perspective they've got a green light and probably they know the crosswalk button is broken anyway. From the cars perspective they've got a green light and they're in a car so you better watch out! Very important people drive cars.

So its hosed. Who cares through. You better watch out more carefully next time because it doesn't matter whos right if you smear someone across the pavement its going to ruin your day. The bike better watch out more carefully next time too because being right doesn't matter when 4,000 lbs of steel hits you at 30mph.

Overall its fine and you swear at each other and flip each other off and you go about your day. People get too bent out of shape about it. We need to be able to honk and flip the bird and not get stressed. The safest intersections in the world are totally uncontrolled. No signals. Start thinking that way about every intersection imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Yeah, that makes sense. This city is crappy for bikes and doesn’t have much infrastructure for bikes outside of some sidewalks, a couple bike lanes, and some sketchy-rear end sharrows. I’m just curious too because I’m a road designer and I’m always looking to understand more about these things for the projects we design around here.