Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Snagged Squadrons on sale. I'm not sure about 80% of the gameplay being online team deathmatch but for $20 it at least looks pretty snazzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Laserface posted:

Front yard lemonade stands have phone lines now?

Oh man, I wish it was a front yard lemonade stand. So much less paperwork, no meetings in Teams where the bosses want to show off that they learned how to display their computer and then have someone else lock them out...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Snagged Squadrons on sale. I'm not sure about 80% of the gameplay being online team deathmatch but for $20 it at least looks pretty snazzy.

The mp is very fun but half the maps suck or have bad spawns i played it for a couple weeks and fell off.
The sp is cool but very limited in terms of scenarios for missions vs the older sw flight games but if you didnt play those to death you probably wont notice.
I think you need vr to really make it a long term hobby. The impressiveness wears off in meat space after you tire of the content.
A very good value for a budget game tho

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Gunslinger posted:

Man I really regret getting AC: Valhalla for the Series X instead of the PS5. Ubisoft really phoned it in - insane screen tearing, it's crashed right out to the dash numerous times and I've had 2 corrupted saves so I'm juggling save files like crazy just in case. All of that in addition to nearly AC:Unity levels of jank in the game. Really loving bad port, if anyone else is thinking of it then hold off for awhile.

I've had zero issues besides some screen tearing in non gameplay moments, weird.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve had very few performance issues with Valhalla but the game is buggy as gently caress and I’ve had to google my way to exploiting 3 different bugged quests.

Edit: it’s fun tho

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I bought watch dogs, it’s a pretty uninspiring beginning but I’ll keep going. Hopefully the multiplayer is interesting once it releases.

The voice acting and writing is quite bad, and everything feels very unpolished in comparison to gta5 - which I’m also playing right now.

The ray tracing is nice though, and I found my office in the game which was fun!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crafty posted:

I bought watch dogs, it’s a pretty uninspiring beginning but I’ll keep going. Hopefully the multiplayer is interesting once it releases.

The voice acting and writing is quite bad, and everything feels very unpolished in comparison to gta5 - which I’m also playing right now.

The ray tracing is nice though, and I found my office in the game which was fun!

You gotta make your own fun like recruiting only old people or whatever

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The only good thing about watch dogs 2 was the small side plot about being black in tech. Do we know if there's anything like that in legion? Or is it just pieces of splinter cell and ghosts smashed together?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Real hurthling! posted:

You gotta make your own fun like recruiting only old people or whatever

I’ll give this a go, I have the permanent death setting on because I was feeling hardcore. Hopefully old age doesn’t contribute too heavily.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was watching someone play and they mostly recruited people that made no sense to be doing the stuff they were doing and it was hilarious.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm playing Aragami (free Gold game), currently very angry at people who continue to put boss fights in stealth games. Why offer the option to stealth my way through the entire game up to now and then break it up like this?

Everything here feels like it's from the early 00's, even the graphics make it look like an OG Xbox game.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone looking for a good RPG for the Black Friday sale should check this one out.

I can see the logic of the genre tag, since you do control a party of individuals.

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ErrEff posted:

I'm playing Aragami (free Gold game), currently very angry at people who continue to put boss fights in stealth games. Why offer the option to stealth my way through the entire game up to now and then break it up like this?

Everything here feels like it's from the early 00's, even the graphics make it look like an OG Xbox game.

At least Deus Ex HR went back and fixed it's boss fights.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Original_Z posted:

Anyone looking for a good RPG for the Black Friday sale should check this one out.

I can see the logic of the genre tag, since you do control a party of individuals.

If you think about it, you play a role in every game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Real hurthling! posted:

The mp is very fun but half the maps suck or have bad spawns i played it for a couple weeks and fell off.
The sp is cool but very limited in terms of scenarios for missions vs the older sw flight games but if you didnt play those to death you probably wont notice.
I think you need vr to really make it a long term hobby. The impressiveness wears off in meat space after you tire of the content.
A very good value for a budget game tho

How exactly do space fighting game maps work? Isn't space mostly empty?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lammasu posted:

How exactly do space fighting game maps work? Isn't space mostly empty?

You get new planets to look at.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No its like asteroid belt, mining facility, etc. Theres like 5 maps and one of them is wide open with no cover and 2 of them are way too densely cluttered imo but im a conplainer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

500 bucks for a new console and I can't stop playing Halo 3.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The first game I will played on my new ps5 was rocket league for which I didn't need a new console so it is hard to judge you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!

John F Bennett posted:

Should be Xbox’s motto

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

American McGay posted:

I can't get a handle on the flight controls at all. I used to love X-Wing vs TIE Fighter in the 90s so I'm gutted that I'm a total mess these days.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Doom I, II, and 64 are on sale for a dollar each. I have them on Switch and PC but I'll be damned if I'm not buying them again.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

You know it's word. There's this big sale on right now but I'm holding off on purchasing things on the chance they may end up in game pass.

That said, is Control any good?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

You know it's word. There's this big sale on right now but I'm holding off on purchasing things on the chance they may end up in game pass.

That said, is Control any good?

It was way too hard, IMO. I expected a Prototype/Infamous type game, but it felt closer to a Soul-like. Seems like lots of people loved it, so maybe I'm just a scrub.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's extremely good and $20 is a great deal imo.

The Diddler posted:

I expected a Prototype/Infamous type game

It turns into basically this once you get a couple powers/upgrades and can freely stunt on regular enemies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The whatever they're calling the version that will actually get next gen upgrades has difficulty sliders that can reduce damage/increase health regen which helps

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I can't get a handle on the flight controls at all. I used to love X-Wing vs TIE Fighter in the 90s so I'm gutted that I'm a total mess these days.

The default control suck but the good news is that they are extremely customizeable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Control is amazing. And yeah, they added sliders so you can basically turn on god mode and not die if you like. It's definitely worth getting.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm back with some more thoughts about 2019's Jedi Game:

I made it further in, and yeah the SBone is really struggling to run this. Specifically, the textures are pretty soft, I'm sure it's running in 900p blur-o-vision, and if you look in a direction where it has to draw too much of the level at once frames drop. I honestly think it still looks pretty good, and the technical issues aren't ruining it for me. It's also really impressive just how detailed the geometry is and how much is going on with the planets so far. I'm really enjoying the exploration, the environments are fun and feel really Star Wars-y. I'm an old-school EU fan and didn't really enjoy the sequel trilogy, but fortunately what I've seen to far in this game feels like it's straight out of the old EU.

I really like the combat! I'm going to guess it would feel tired if I had played Dark Souls, but I haven't touched a souls game since Demon's Souls a decade ago. The exploration / climbing is ripped straight from Uncharted or the Tomb Raider reboots, but I also really enjoy those games as long as I haven't played one too recently. It's hitting all the right buttons for me, and I'm likely to stick around and see my way pretty far into it.

Edit: I'm not done sperging about Jedi and Pixels, so:

I skimmed Digitalfoundry's tech roundup from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASZONr4-5k

It turns out that what I thought was normal bone 900p is actually 720p, and even the PS4 Pro doesn't hold 1080p on this game. However, I have also experienced none of the I/O related stuttering or freezes that they saw on slow hard drives, likely because I'm playing it off an SSD. Looking at some more reviews and discussion, it looks like this game is going to be pretty miserable to play on any 500GB internal Xbox drive. Apparently the newer 1TB ones fare better, and external SSDs seem like the only way to entirely sidestep stutter and freezes from asset loading.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 21, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah the 50% throttle to turn faster makes zero sense to me but i just set the throttle to either be off, at 50%, or full so i didnt need to keep looking at it.

I also dont like how you cant really bank turn by rolling and pulling up. Sure its a space game but the ships fly like planes and my ace combat brain wants to be turned 90 degrees to turn sideways.

It never felt 100% natural to me but it started to get less annoying the more i tweaked the contol settings.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm back with some more thoughts about 2019's Jedi Game:

I made it further in, and yeah the SBone is really struggling to run this. Specifically, the textures are pretty soft, I'm sure it's running in 900p blur-o-vision, and if you look in a direction where it has to draw too much of the level at once frames drop. I honestly think it still looks pretty good, and the technical issues aren't ruining it for me. It's also really impressive just how detailed the geometry is and how much is going on with the planets so far. I'm really enjoying the exploration, the environments are fun and feel really Star Wars-y. I'm an old-school EU fan and didn't really enjoy the sequel trilogy, but fortunately what I've seen to far in this game feels like it's straight out of the old EU.

I really like the combat! I'm going to guess it would feel tired if I had played Dark Souls, but I haven't touched a souls game since Demon's Souls a decade ago. The exploration / climbing is ripped straight from Uncharted or the Tomb Raider reboots, but I also really enjoy those games as long as I haven't played one too recently. It's hitting all the right buttons for me, and I'm likely to stick around and see my way pretty far into it.

Edit: I'm not done sperging about Jedi and Pixels, so:

I skimmed Digitalfoundry's tech roundup from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PASZONr4-5k

It turns out that what I thought was normal bone 900p is actually 720p, and even the PS4 Pro doesn't hold 1080p on this game. However, I have also experienced none of the I/O related stuttering or freezes that they saw on slow hard drives, likely because I'm playing it off an SSD. Looking at some more reviews and discussion, it looks like this game is going to be pretty miserable to play on any 500GB internal Xbox drive. Apparently the newer 1TB ones fare better, and external SSDs seem like the only way to entirely sidestep stutter and freezes from asset loading.

I just finished the game this morning, and I really enjoyed it! I was playing on a One X in performance mode, and the framerate seemed to jump all over the place. I could have waited until EA Play via Gamepass is available on PC to play a more stable version, but I was just having so much fun with the game itself. I really liked the exploration, and finding new areas/secrets.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

]

I just completed this again yesterday on the Series X and having it basically locked at 60 makes it so much more enjoyable. I previously played it on the One X but the performance mode was so inconsistent, I just stuck to the 30FPS rendering.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah I'm having a poo poo ton of fun with Jedi Fallen Order on the Series X. Perfectly smooth and pretty much just what I would want and more from a Respawn Star Wars game.

Clowning on stormtroopers never gets old. Love the conversations they have and when there's only one left they'll say something like 'uh someone... Anyone... Help?'

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah I'm having a poo poo ton of fun with Jedi Fallen Order on the Series X. Perfectly smooth and pretty much just what I would want and more from a Respawn Star Wars game.

Clowning on stormtroopers never gets old. Love the conversations they have and when there's only one left they'll say something like 'uh someone... Anyone... Help?'

I'd love an Arkham City/Knight kind of Jedi game. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Quick Resume has begun to work for me, flipping between Fallen Order and Hitman is fun in and of itself.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I knew the Series S was holding things back but loving hell Dirt 5 devs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's also likely an issue because MS wants all of these games playable on the XBONE (all of the variants), plus the S and X

Whereas there is only one PS5.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I grabbed Control and saw the high praise but noticed one of the add-ons is focused on Alan Wake and I was contemplating picking it up via BC, is it worth it? It seems kinda Twin Peaks-ish?

Guess Steam is an option as well but would rather go console where I can. Is Alan Wake worth playing these days (especially before diving into Control) and are either of the two expansions for Alan Wake worth grabbing or are they skippable? I watched the trailers and they didn't seem that interesting whereas reviews of AW look pretty awesome.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

univbee posted:

I knew the Series S was holding things back but loving hell Dirt 5 devs.

Should probably at least include that this is only in 120hz mode, and the DF guys say they think it’s a bug and that the devs are investigating it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The benefit of a console is one target and tools that are as close "to the metal" as you can get so when xbox fucks all that up with 5 targets and layers of abstraction 3rd party devs are going to encounter issues that are very funny and the weaker, single sku console is going to look like its punching above its weight.
Ultimately meaningless from the perspective of someone enjoying these games but there will be much gnashing of teeth from guys who cant handle the teasing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

According to the IGN review Codemasters had the developers of OnRush & Driveclub make Dirt 5 so there's no wonder stuff doesn't work right and it's thoroughly mediocre at best. Will be great to see what the main team does with the inevitable Dirt 3.0 whenever it comes, though. Wondering what the future of Grid is after the last game as well.

More importantly, EA is putting a big focus on Criterion Games again after how bad recent NFS games have been so maybe we'll be really lucky and get a new (and good?!) Burnout game at some point?