Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

As a consequence of your repeated insubordination, the latest example of which led to a political crisis, you have been rewarded with a new job that lets you focus on your stupid side project full time.
If you phrase it like that, it actually reads ... plausible? Like I’m sure I’ve heard that story before. Say bush IIs second term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Why do you suppose the writers still have such a hard-on for "Michael going rogue"? Do you think they all legitimately think it's interesting, or is it just baked into the show bible and everyone's just writing to order?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Bit of a step down this episode because I just don't care about THE BURN or its cause at all. Teleporting Linus and Dad Stamets was good though.

I did enjoy the Blake's 7-style "gently caress it, we'll film it at our local gasworks or whatever" Orion base. And the Running Man-ness of the... well, of the bits they nicked from the Running Man. And Fortress

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HD DAD posted:

I will say the Emerald Chain is a pretty dope name for a crime syndicate.

Yeah pretty sure I fought them in the underground passageways of Coruscant

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edit: please disregard this post.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wonder if they’re related to the Orions.

Aren’t they the Orion-Andorian alliance?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I...may have forgotten that bit (hence my editing the post basically immediately).

I guess Tendi's officially displaced my expectations of Orions.

Also I'm still not really a fan of the 'Terrans are genetically disposed to be eeeevil!' retcon. The weakness to light was one thing, but this...

I mean, i guess they might be trying to get Empress Georgiou to resemble Captain Georgiou in personality, but it feels a bit much.

I'd like a story where someone from the mirror universe comes over, and just decides 'hey, this is kind of nice not having to look over your shoulder every five seconds' and assimilating into Federation values. Drinking the root beer, if you will.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also I'm still not really a fan of the 'Terrans are genetically disposed to be eeeevil!' retcon.

Mirror Universe version of The Chase but the progenitor alien has a goatee

side note but also lol that the progenitor alien, origin of the humaniod shape looks just like a shapeless founder

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

The Bloop posted:

side note but also lol that the progenitor alien, origin of the humaniod shape looks just like a shapeless founder

Same actress too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

niethan posted:

Same actress too.

was it, hahaha that's great

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Who played the Orion guy in this episode? There were a couple of times I thought I heard him speaking in a voice similar to Wentworth Miller but it's not on his IMDB page.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

The Bloop posted:

was it, hahaha that's great

I've had a batshit theory for years that changelings were once solid, ascended to become matter/energy at will, and would one day ascend to become timeless and become the Prophets and Pah-Wraiths. I'm sure if I read a few dozen trash novels it would be explained otherwise but who has time for that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC the admiral said "In this part of the quadrant, yes" which hinted it's several groups but the nearby ones are just the Orions and Andorians. Maybe the big bad lady will turn out to be related to Georgiou somehow (or the Burn and be Michael's mom)

Nullsmack posted:

Who played the Orion guy in this episode? There were a couple of times I thought I heard him speaking in a voice similar to Wentworth Miller but it's not on his IMDB page.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4547530/?ref_=nm_mv_close

Never seen him in anything he's been in but they made him look completely different with that hair that made him look familiar

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Musk shoutout in season one is what made me realize the intellectual level this show's producers and higher-ups were operating at, and after adjusting my expectations accordingly it's been an enjoyable series with some great cast members.

Getting rid of Michael permanently would resolve most of the issues, and that's no fault of the actor.

Lorca was the best captain and the show did him dirty at the end.

Cingulate posted:

If you phrase it like that, it actually reads ... plausible? Like I’m sure I’ve heard that story before. Say bush IIs second term.

That is the nature of power, Michael is a member of the elite class, and while the lines are never clearly drawn on screen class absolutely still exists.

Q on DS9 pretending not to recognize O'Brien and dismissing him as one of the little people was the single most honest moment in Star Trek.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2020

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Why do you suppose the writers still have such a hard-on for "Michael going rogue"? Do you think they all legitimately think it's interesting, or is it just baked into the show bible and everyone's just writing to order?

Michael's someone's self-insert, 100% guarantee it based on how she's written.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wheeee posted:

The Musk shoutout in season one is what made me realize the intellectual level this show's producers and higher-ups were operating at, and after adjusting my expectations accordingly it's been an enjoyable series with some great cast members.

Wasn't that an ad-libbed line by Jason Isaacs because he was hoping to score a free car?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wasn't that an ad-libbed line by Jason Isaacs because he was hoping to score a free car?

If so then lol he owns even more

Discovery really is a very stupid show though, which doesn't mean it's not fun

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I heard this post in Doug Jones's voice

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I'm honestly enjoying this season a lot more than the last 2 but the more burnham is on screen the more it becomes obvious Sonequa Martin-Green is just not a very good actress.

You could put it down to bad direction and writing (which is definitely still a problem) but most of the other cast are doing ok with what they've been given Doug Jones has been great. Why does she whisper half her lines? Is she contractually obliged to cry every episode?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Butternubs posted:

Is she contractually obliged to cry every episode?

... If the director says so?

Her crying in this ep was actually very well acted and well done

The fact that she cries in EVERY episode is getting ridiculous to the point of self parody but that's not her fault

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i thought the one fight between airiam and michael was actually alright because it was just full of old rear end star trek moves that dont work like the double handed neck chop

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I suspect she’s contractually the lead of the show, which is why she’s given strange things to do that other crew are more qualified for, and emotionally monologues every episode. They’re trying to make it as ensemble as possible without a breach of contract.

That’s my theory, anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Butternubs posted:

Is she contractually obliged to cry every episode?
Yes

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jassa posted:

The main reason he's unique is because Starfleet has rules about genetic modification. Eugenics, etc.
"I've updated the dog!"

Actually, wonder if that's a post-Bashir thing where the Federation decided "oh hey, that genetically modified dude was a good guy who helped us win the war, so go wild."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

HD DAD posted:

I suspect she’s contractually the lead of the show, which is why she’s given strange things to do that other crew are more qualified for, and emotionally monologues every episode. They’re trying to make it as ensemble as possible without a breach of contract.

That’s my theory, anyway.

that’s my operating assumption - to my recollection all the first season preview material frequently mentioned this was the first trek to have a main/POV character that wasn’t the captain, and it’s probably difficult for many reasons to walk that back

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Bloop posted:

The fact that she cries in EVERY episode is getting ridiculous to the point of self parody but that's not her fault

she should revert back to her Vulcan training maybe a little

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember that.

Federation/Starfleet seems like it's in a much more "ends justify the means" phase of its existence so I wonder if they would allow more people to get the DNA off of Stamets.

Of course, that would trigger a whole arc where Stamets has to come to terms with the fact that he's not unique and indispensable to Discovery anymore, and as much as I like Stamets I really don't want to see that

Is there any good reason Trek has those regressive views about genetic manipulation? It feels like a relic from an era when people thought cloning Dolly meant that hell was opening and satan was coming to destroy us all because of our sins against god. I think people are a little less reactively scared of gene editing, outside of a few paranoid groups obsessed with the notion. Hell, there are presumably already living human clones growing up out there today.

The Bloop posted:

Trek nerds appreciate a modicum of internal consistency in their impossible tech though so it's not beyond the pale to discuss

How do Trek nerds explain the old goofy looking ships? Do they really think the two hotdogs and toothpicks are just big plane jets that drag the dishtv part or what? Do you need toothpicks to transfer over the chi energy from the homeopathic healing crystals they use as power? Watching Trek nerds fight over ships* is always the most baffling thing since they weren't designed to make mechanical or technological sense, they weren't made to make logistical physical space make sense, they weren't even made to look cool or good, just like some awkward napkin sketch scribbled by a drunk roddenberry presumably at a bar and he gave it someone who was into drawing landscapes and still-lives and hadn't ever drawn a machine or ship before but gave it a shot and they went with it ever since. That or they just took a 50s flying saucer model, saw it on a stand, and then didn't realize the stand wasn't part of the model.

*just the dumb enterprisey hotdgo ships. there are good ships in Trek like the Borg Cube or the Borg Sphere.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Bloop posted:

I haven't really had a problem with Michael's displays of emotion most of the series. Honestly, her crying and constant struggle to keep it together has usually struck me as a normal reaction to the mind-bafflingly heavy experiences she is having.

That said, this last episode was the first time I was like, "okay, this is actually not a crying moment. Stop."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

She was good and fun and displayed an actual personality in the first episode of season three while on drugs; while she may not have the chops or presence for a leading role the actor is not the reason Michael is a lovely drag on the show.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wheeee posted:

She was good and fun and displayed an actual personality in the first episode of season three while on drugs; while she may not have the chops or presence for a leading role the actor is not the reason Michael is a lovely drag on the show.

Honestly I'd love to see more of the fun Michael. I don't think serious is good for her, I liked her a lot more when she had a bit of silly.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Is there any good reason Trek has those regressive views about genetic manipulation? It feels like a relic from an era when people thought cloning Dolly meant that hell was opening and satan was coming to destroy us all because of our sins against god. I think people are a little less reactively scared of gene editing, outside of a few paranoid groups obsessed with the notion. Hell, there are presumably already living human clones growing up out there today.

Well, the "Genetic engineering was banned" episode dates from 1997, which was only a year after Dolly, and was the same year that gave us the first genetically modified people and the movie Gattica.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never saw battle star wars gattica, is it any good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He wants to genetically modify me so bad, he can taste it. GATTACA! GATTACA! GATTACA!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khanstant posted:

Canon-wise, the Eugenics Wars are a pretty black mark on Earth's history from the last time they freely played with genetic engineering.

Realistically it's been over a millennia since then by the time of Disco season 3 and should have a far greater general understanding of genome editing and meddling with organic things in general. It's really sloppy writing how they've got ships that fly apart, personal transporters, programmable matter interfaces and construction, yet medical technology has zero imagination to it and looks like it hasn't advanced in 900 years at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Medical stuff seems like it should just be programmable nanobots that swarm over or into the body. Stamets gel controls were more what I'd expect from hyper-future scifi tech, just everybody mush their hands into some cool goop and everything's done mentally. I suppose that would be pretty useless for a show where every bridge is built explicitly facing the tv like some scifi living room.

The scene where they got their new badges stuck out to me because it's seeming like they'd been around for weeks training and hanging around but still didn't notice what the new badges did all that time. Are your holo displays visible to others, or only some?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

I never saw battle star wars gattica, is it any good?

It was certainly....a movie. (Don't watch Gattica.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember, is it just me or did Linus' head look different this episode? Maybe it's the lighting, but I swear he didn't have those smooth gold circular sections around his eyes before and just had a smooth gray-green texture to his head.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It feels really awkward to have everyone saying 'your number one' and 'my number one' in every possible context.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

would you rather be number two?

Star Trek has never really been about technology or science, the trappings of scifi are there to create an escapist sense of adventure and abstract social issues of the present day or anticipated near future into a digestible format.

Some of you should check out Liu Cixin if you haven't previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So guys, what if, just stay with me here, The Burn was something related to Burnham? Ah? Uh?