Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah it's right up there with Oko for post-1994 cards that are utterly inexplicable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Kuisma putting "come on one time" in paint and dragging it cover his hand in the semifinal made me laugh

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The cards were bad. The diablo inspired ob nyx was the best one.

Genesis Hydra rocks. Love that cast trigger.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LifeLynx posted:

There's only one correct answer.

Close.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I know they make standard cards years in advance, but I’d love to see what the decks they come up with in testing look like. We see the cards they think will be good, but end up great so there’s also cards they think will be good that end up bad.

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Still mad about losing the designer search in 2002 or whatever even though i was in 6th grade and I only made it like 2 rounds

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Ethiser posted:

I know they make standard cards years in advance, but I’d love to see what the decks they come up with in testing look like. We see the cards they think will be good, but end up great so there’s also cards they think will be good that end up bad.

If I remember, someone said that they don't test entire standards anymore, just individual sets. That may have just been speculation, but it's the only way it makes sense that Oko, Uro, and Omnath were all supposed to be in standard at the same time. Someone in play testing probably had a sick Party deck that will never materialize in the real world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Imagine Gilded Goose into Oko into Omnath

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheKingofSprings posted:

Imagine Gilded Goose into Oko into Omnath

Urza's tower into mine into power plant and toss down karn, then tower into ugin

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Ethiser posted:

iirc they used to do an article showing them sometimes, but then they got clowned on for how ridiculous their khans of tarkir era decks were so they stopped

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I remember that lol it was like planeswalker precons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Urza's tower into mine into power plant and toss down karn, then tower into ugin

1. 3 cards are, historically, less than 5
2. The relative power level of formats and their ability to accommodate is vastly different

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

iirc they used to do an article showing them sometimes, but then they got clowned on for how ridiculous their khans of tarkir era decks were so they stopped

Oh yeah wasn’t there some sinister Bitterblossom clone Siege Rhino was buffed to high heaven to run over that never made it to print?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have been enough corporate environments think the acronym came first, and they figured out what it stood for later.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh yeah wasn’t there some sinister Bitterblossom clone Siege Rhino was buffed to high heaven to run over that never made it to print?

First Response gave Rhino Trample. Then First Response went from 1W to its current 3W.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

First Response gave Rhino Trample. Then First Response went from 1W to its current 3W.

Should have renamed the card to Third Response as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
At 1W, in a format with fetches, yea First Response would've been Bitterblossom Lite. Not as strong but a serious player since the tokens can convoke. That was a format that saw Hordeling Outburst and Secure the Wastes make a lot of 1/1s.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

At 1W, in a format with fetches, yea First Response would've been Bitterblossom Lite. Not as strong but a serious player since the tokens can convoke. That was a format that saw Hordeling Outburst and Secure the Wastes make a lot of 1/1s.

That was also a format with Painlands so it actually could get out of hand respectably quickly

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

That was also a format with Painlands so it actually could get out of hand respectably quickly

I forgot the enemy painlands were the rare land cycle for M15 because they were the rare land cycle for Origins as well.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Waste Not came from that crop of cards, so this is Objectively Wrong
Waste not was the community card, and pretty cool. The designs weren't bad per se, but they weren't playable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Would've been fun in an 8blossom modern deck

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yo. The Dive Down, somehow, hit episode 100 this week. To celebrate, we did a live stream of the recording on Twitch where we did mini-dives into 100 decks throughout Modern's history.

More importantly, we did a charity drive for Feeding America, where we matched the first $1,000 donated. Please consider donating to Feeding America here: https://streamlabscharity.com/@thedivedown-shane/the-dive-down-nation-helps-feed-america

If you want to check out the livestream, it's at YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnnKXkfQGM; or you can just get the cleaned up audio version at the usual site: https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/100

Thanks to everyone who has given us good feedback here, we appreciate the support!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Waste not was the community card, and pretty cool. The designs weren't bad per se, but they weren't playable.

Genesis Hydra defined the green ramp decks for that whole year, but other than that, the rest didn't see much play.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I've seen Chasm Skulker get some legacy play, it really excels in an environment with lots of card draw and opponents having islands.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Didn't seth do a mining/donate ponza deck or am I making that up? Not that that's anything resembling competitive play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

IMO, if you're picking cards to deliberately push and make powerful, the most important design question should be "is this fun to play against?"

Proof Dark Confidant is the best card ever designed

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alright, new round of "Old Format Superstar, would it see play?"

Entrants:

Hatred

Samurai of the Pale Curtain

Mind's Desire

Keep in mind, these would be reprinted into sets in the current standard with modern design ethos on the cards around them

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Shrecknet posted:

Entrants:

Hatred

Mind's Desire

Keep in mind, these would be reprinted into sets in the current standard with modern design ethos on the cards around them

Probably

Main deck probably not, in sideboards sure

Has no business being legal anywhere outside of vintage and commander

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't think Mind's Desire has anywhere close to the density of cantrips and rituals necessary to be even playable in standard, never mind good. Even in historic it's probably a dud.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How about:

Rancor

Geist of Saint Traft

Rishadan Port

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shrecknet posted:

Entrants:

Hatred

Mind's Desire

No

lmao white cards

No

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The Shortest Path posted:

I don't think Mind's Desire has anywhere close to the density of cantrips and rituals necessary to be even playable in standard, never mind good. Even in historic it's probably a dud.

It would be insane in historic in a few decks imo

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

How about :

Rancor

Geist of Saint Traft

Rishadan Port

Rancor would be very good in standard right now, just giving any of the giant undercosted green creatures trample for 1 mana would be very playable.

I would like to see Geist and Port in historic though, where a more tempo style deck can work.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dysgenesis posted:

I have been enough corporate environments think the acronym came first, and they figured out what it stood for later.

That's called a Backronym :eng101:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ShaneB posted:

Yo. The Dive Down, somehow, hit episode 100 this week. To celebrate, we

I'm star struck. Seriously love the pod and I'm new to the thread didn't know you guys were here.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

The thread has historically been podcaster friendly, to the extent that it has been anything friendly.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Port would be a huge boost to every aggressive archetype and absolutely be a format staple. It's better with Vial and Wasteland as partners-in-crime but there will always come a time when the weenie deck has more lands than it needs for mana.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FIRE stands for [insert marketing bullshit that doesn't matter here] but what it actually means is "every card at rare or mythic cannot be printed with feel-bad text." Which means that all creatures have on-rate stats with upside, all negative effects only ever affect opponents, all positive effects only ever affect the controller, and feel-bad mechanics like land destruction don't get printed. The result is that modern day standard decks are linear solitaire value piles where each creature and permanent that hits the board must swing the game wildly in one direction or the other to be competitive. There are no interesting decks because there are no powerful-with-drawbacks cards worth building around. Decks are essentially built for you.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm star struck. Seriously love the pod and I'm new to the thread didn't know you guys were here.

Hey, thanks!! I'm the only one on the forums, actually. But glad you enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The Klowner posted:

FIRE stands for [insert marketing bullshit that doesn't matter here] but what it actually means is "every card at rare or mythic cannot be printed with feel-bad text." Which means that all creatures have on-rate stats with upside, all negative effects only ever affect opponents, all positive effects only ever affect the controller, and feel-bad mechanics like land destruction don't get printed. The result is that modern day standard decks are linear solitaire value piles where each creature and permanent that hits the board must swing the game wildly in one direction or the other to be competitive. There are no interesting decks because there are no powerful-with-drawbacks cards worth building around. Decks are essentially built for you.

they've printed a ton of cards that are powerful and have drawbacks, they just keep having to ban them because they are too powerful and/or the drawbacks are nowhere near as restrictive as they thought they were relative to that power. like, have you read fires of invention? or the loving companions?