Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

abraham linksys posted:

super long shot, but anyone have any thoughts on this Fully Desk Chair? they're running a 15% off sale, and I like my Fully desk so I trust them a bit more than random brands on Amazon/Wayfair/Staples/whatever. literally the only review I've found of it is Wirecutter saying it's a reasonable alternative to the HON Ignition (which looks to have awful QC), but I don't really trust Wirecutter with this kinda thing anymore. it's a relabeled version of the "Able Desk Co Desk Chair" (which is another brand Fully owns for some reason) if anyone's tried that.

having a really loving bad time trying to find a chair for under $1000 right now. would be willing to go up to $600 or so but I'm in NYC with no car with COVID rates spiking, so there's zero way for me to get any kind of secondhand furniture, and no one seems to have any ideas on midrange chairs. I'd even get a loving Secretlab at this point if the Titan with fabric wasn't backordered until January :smith:

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that one, and I'm having trouble finding reviews that aren't Wirecutter haha.

I will say that in your price range, I have used the Quantum WorkPro 9000, and it lasted me for around 7 years or so before the tilt-limiter failed. Internet Explorer talked about them a bit upthread:

Internet Explorer posted:

I would say yes, but honestly if you could go to $350 you might open up some other options. At that price, new, you're looking at something from Office Depot or similar, which honestly isn't that bad. It's not going to hold up as long as a $1,000 chair, but it is what it is.

For example, I really like these chairs:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Mesh-Series-Mid/
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9702132/WorkPro-12000-Series-MeshFabric-Mid-Back/

The split back one is nice, feels like it contours to your back better.

Personally, I'd recommend getting it with the headrest option. But I like headrests, so there's that.

Edit: It looks like this chair is similar to that Fully that you're looking at: https://www.btod.com/blog/2018/01/11/btod-100mc-mesh-back-office-chair-review/

The only issue with this one is that the review is from the company that makes/sells it. Generally I like and trust their reviews, and they claim you can trust 'em, but . . . y'know lol.

Looks like they also did a video on Top 9 Office Chairs Under $500 for 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9BhLo8pm1Q

Zarin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Honestly just order a Staples Hyken.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I remember trying the Hyken in store a while ago and really disliking it. I think I ended up getting a Carder, which mostly sucked and I left behind when I moved places because it didn't seem worth it.

The thing with the Hyken is that I don't think I can do a pure mesh seat. I don't need to completely sink into a gamer throne, but I'm at this desk for both work during the day and gaming at night, so I think I need something with some cushioning. Similar concerns about that Quantum :(

Going way to the top end of my budget, I noticed the Knoll ReGeneration is on sale (I guess it's the same company as Fully, so it's the same 15% off). That's around $600 - Wirecutter says it's good only if you fit it well, but is a bit unclear on what that fit means. Probably not worth it in a time where I can't try things out and returns are a huge pain in the rear end, bleh.

otoh... the secretlab titan in black fabric just popped back in stock...... maybe it's time to go Full Gamer...

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 21, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

abraham linksys posted:

The thing with the Hyken is that I don't think I can do a pure mesh seat. I don't need to completely sink into a gamer throne, but I'm at this desk for both work during the day and gaming at night, so I think I need something with some cushioning. Similar concerns about that Quantum :(

I dunno, I see where you're coming from, but if the mesh is good it should support you just as well as a foam or suspension cushion.

Since embracing my new COVID prison of the 6'x6' box that borders both my work and gaming computers, I've sat in a Quantum WorkPro 9000, an Aeron C, and now a Cosm and I have to say that while each chair had its pros and cons, I haven't had any sort of sitting-stress fatigue that just made me say "gently caress this, I have to get up out of this chair and go to bed or something because sitting is killing me". (Edit: The Aeron took some getting used to due to the way the seat frame was digging into my legs, but after about a month of use I stopped sitting in it in ways that caused low-level bruising, but that's a fault of the frame design and not the mesh itself)

I think the only time I had that was in the WorkPro 9000 when I was no-lifing it for some MMO launch, before I had a proper footrest and headrest on the thing.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 21, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If it’s just not comfortable for you then it is what it is, but the upside of the mesh is that it lasts. With any padded chair anywhere near the Hyken’s sub-$200 price tag the padding will quickly wear out and you’ll be feeling the hard plastic on your rear end within a year. The Hyken I had years ago I finally chucked when the arms fell apart and the riser gave out after ~5 years, but there was still nothing wrong with the seat itself.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Eric the Mauve posted:

If it’s just not comfortable for you then it is what it is, but the upside of the mesh is that it lasts. With any padded chair anywhere near the Hyken’s sub-$200 price tag the padding will quickly wear out and you’ll be feeling the hard plastic on your rear end within a year. The Hyken I had years ago I finally chucked when the arms fell apart and the riser gave out after ~5 years, but there was still nothing wrong with the seat itself.

Oh, sure! Maybe I misread the post, but my first read on it was that it was just an assumption that the mesh wouldn't be comfortable for long periods of time. Rereading now, I'm not so sure that was the correct take.

Didn't mean to denigrate personal experience at all!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yeah, my worry was mostly just long periods of sitting. i've had mesh chairs in offices in the past that seemed to really dig into me in unpleasant ways, to the point that, like, i've had mesh chairs i couldn't even wear shorts in because the undersides of my thighs would get kinda messed up against the mesh (a serious concern for wfh in my underwear :v:)

maybe that was just a bad chair and bad luck more than a sign that mesh seats are always bad, but i've been a bit cautious since then.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

abraham linksys posted:

yeah, my worry was mostly just long periods of sitting. i've had mesh chairs in offices in the past that seemed to really dig into me in unpleasant ways, to the point that, like, i've had mesh chairs i couldn't even wear shorts in because the undersides of my thighs would get kinda messed up against the mesh (a serious concern for wfh in my underwear :v:)

maybe that was just a bad chair and bad luck more than a sign that mesh seats are always bad, but i've been a bit cautious since then.

For what it’s worth, as someone also in NYC during COVID, I’d just go with one of the Herman Miller/Steelcase liquidators on Craigslist. I got an Aeron early on for $300-ish and rather than having me pick it up they just threw it in an Uber and sent it to my door. Another $40 or so for front door drop off, not bad. Given how bonkers new prices are and how much liquidated office stuff there is in NYC I think it’s a solid option!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

abraham linksys posted:

Oh, yeah, if you're not wearing something long enough to cover your legs, then I can definitely understand not wanting mesh.

The mesh on this Cosm is like, half-soft/half-rough, and there are a couple points where it joins the frame where there are some pokey edges. I could easily clean them up but since I wear track pants 24/7 at home, it's not worth the effort.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Are there any good chair deals for black friday out there? I'm 6'4" and like 280+

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SalTheBard posted:

Are there any good chair deals for black friday out there? I'm 6'4" and like 280+

Also trying to see if there are any good leftover cyber Monday deals. I'm 6'3" so really at this point I'm considering the:

Secretlab Titan ($400): https://secretlab.co/collections/titan-series#titan_2020_softweave-black3
Autonomous ErgoChair 2 ($300-400): https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair?option20=53

Not willing to shell out much more than the $400 pricetag. Too tall for the Hyken. I don't love the gamer-chair branding but the black softweave on the Titan makes it look way more professional and less jarring/gamery. Does anyone have either of these chairs? If so, thoughts? Also open to recommendations on other chairs that are sub-$500 and good for someone 6'3" 200lb?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Got the ErgoChair 2. Between a referral discount and holiday pricing I was able to snag it for < $300. It looks pretty similar to some of the more popular Staples-esque budget options but is apparently better for taller people than the Hyken.

While the Titan looks decent too, I can't bring myself to buy a gaming chair and show up on video calls like that.

I'm currently using a budget option (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0147WIC7E) so it should be a nice upgrade for me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know where to get a decent head rest for an Aeron within EU? I've looked for years, but on the off chance something is actually available, I'll check it out.

The chair is so old at this point that getting it scratched up doesn't matter anyway.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
After all my humming and hawing about office chairs, I gotta say that the motorized recliner I wound up getting instead is just so much more comfortable than any office chair I've ever tried.

How are you supposed to beat a huge layer of fabric/foam cushioning and a huge recline?

The armrest is even the perfect height to use a mouse on directly (with a mousepad so it doesn't get gross) and for a keyboard I'm using a Logitech K780 because it has it's own weighting in it (supposed to be so it can prop up a tablet, but the weight is good to keep it in place on my lap.

I'm still working on the final hack, which is putting some kind of monitor mount on the back of the chair so that the monitor will recline with me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lemme know when you get that working, that's basically my dream setup.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I am looking for a good wooden stool. I like hard flat surfaces. Considering standing desks thus a good stool to sit higher up. Not a fan of backs or armwrests.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Have you considered borrowing a lathe and making one yourself?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you considered borrowing a lathe and making one yourself?

NO but thats an EXCELLENT IDEA
I'm pretty sure it's going to suck if i make it because all I have around me is knotty pine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like if you literally just want a wooden stool you should either just pick whatever catches your eye on Ikea or find somebody locally who makes them. There's not a ton of possible variation there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Just got a used but like new Aeron for a great deal, headrest is set to arrive in a couple hours. Think I may make a dedicated chair thread.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fuzz posted:

Just got a used but like new Aeron for a great deal, headrest is set to arrive in a couple hours. Think I may make a dedicated chair thread.

Isn't this a dedicated chair thread?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I bought this one from office depot the week of black friday https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/219491/Realspace-Hurston-Bonded-Leather-High-Back/

It was on sale for $100 which is a great deal for how this chair feels. Hopefully the bonded leather will hold up pretty well. It was cheap enough that I felt fine buying the $10 extended warranty.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sininu posted:

Isn't this a dedicated chair thread?

It is, but it's also 9 years old and the op is just a guy asking about chairs, not an effort post about chairs. I love effort posts.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Lister posted:

I bought this one from office depot the week of black friday https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/219491/Realspace-Hurston-Bonded-Leather-High-Back/

It was on sale for $100 which is a great deal for how this chair feels. Hopefully the bonded leather will hold up pretty well. It was cheap enough that I felt fine buying the $10 extended warranty.

It should. I work at corporate, and those are the ones we have in our conference rooms. Held up fine pre-pandemic.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Since my last post here, I've successfully moved into my new apartment, and have gotten the ultra thicc computer floor mat. However, I have two questions.

My first being: is the computer mat even necessary if the chair I'm using has rollerblade style rollers on it? It moves perfectly fine and I don't seem to notice any marks when I get up, but I do worry it may be a possibility. On the flip side, they market these rollers as being for wood floors - so maybe my anxiousness in this regard is unfounded.

Secondly, if I do decide to keep the mat, is there a product or specific thing that I can get to keep it from moving around? It seems like every other day, I have to reposition it back to its normal place after its somehow wildly out of orientation. Sometimes it's even in a diamond shape when it should be its normal rectangle self.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Like a mat to put underneath the mat?

What kind of flooring is it? Hardwood or something engineered/synthetic?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Normally you need mats for carpeted floors where your wheels would sink in and be useless. If you have a wood floor it's probably unnecessary, especially with rollerblade wheels so you aren't worrying about scratches either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I used an ikea mat on my wooden floor to protect it from scratches and it hosed it up way worse after a few years somehow, it's now full or scratches, dimples and ruts. Maybe some crap got under it, but just be careful.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Like a mat to put underneath the mat?

What kind of flooring is it? Hardwood or something engineered/synthetic?

It's this exact one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DCMF9GL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had ordered the thickest one because I was worried the sound of my chairs wheels against the wood would make a lot of noise that could be annoying to the neighbors beneath us, but its wheels barely make any noise at all. And I'm not exactly sure on the type of wood (or whatyevber the proper phrasing would be). I don't think it's normal wood, however? It looks like slabs, but it's 100& smooth everywhere, doesn't have any sort of nicks, splinters, and feels "different" when we walk on it. I'm not really even sure how to explain it because the whole thing is foreign to me. Visually, "oh yeah, that's wood" but literally after setting foot on it, "Well, maybe not."

isndl posted:

Normally you need mats for carpeted floors where your wheels would sink in and be useless. If you have a wood floor it's probably unnecessary, especially with rollerblade wheels so you aren't worrying about scratches either.

mobby_6kl posted:

I used an ikea mat on my wooden floor to protect it from scratches and it hosed it up way worse after a few years somehow, it's now full or scratches, dimples and ruts. Maybe some crap got under it, but just be careful.

Thanks! At this point, I think I may just roll it up and store it somewhere.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can also get floor protectors made out of tempered glass which would work pretty well with inline skate wheels i would think.

(I only know this because ad space during NFL games has been particularly wild this year)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Do not get glass floor protectors; maybe my experience is skewed but my office had them and a number of them shattered because of things like "rock under wheel" or "just loving sitting there".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never heard of putting a mat on a hard floor to protect it. Office chairs come with wheels designed for short pile office carpet, if you have a hard floor then you should get hard floor castors for the chair, which have a soft 'tyre' on them (you can dent it with a fingernail) and will roll on hard floors rather than scrape along them. They're also really quiet.

You can buy the wheels from the chair manufacturer if you want, but they tend to be a standard size and I bought these for my Steelcase chair http://www.castorsunlimited.co.uk/65mm-black-soft-wheel-castor-with-18mm-tower-and-choice-of-braked-or-freewheeling/, which ended up being about a third the price of the 'genuine' product.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 20, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I've never heard of putting a mat on a hard floor to protect it. Office chairs come with wheels designed for short pile office carpet, if you have a hard floor then you should get hard floor castors for the chair, which have a soft 'tyre' on them (you can dent it with a fingernail) and will roll on hard floors rather than scrape along them. They're also really quiet.

You can buy the wheels from the chair manufacturer if you want, but they tend to be a standard size and I bought these for my Steelcase chair http://www.castorsunlimited.co.uk/65mm-black-soft-wheel-castor-with-18mm-tower-and-choice-of-braked-or-freewheeling/, which ended up being about a third the price of the 'genuine' product.
I was concerned that the wheels, soft or not, would eventually grind various dust and particles into the wood, scratching it. Guess joke's on me now :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That will happen, but just vacuum regularly enough for it not to be a problem

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

LODGE NORTH posted:

I had ordered the thickest one because I was worried the sound of my chairs wheels against the wood would make a lot of noise that could be annoying to the neighbors beneath us, but its wheels barely make any noise at all. And I'm not exactly sure on the type of wood (or whatyevber the proper phrasing would be). I don't think it's normal wood, however? It looks like slabs, but it's 100& smooth everywhere, doesn't have any sort of nicks, splinters, and feels "different" when we walk on it. I'm not really even sure how to explain it because the whole thing is foreign to me. Visually, "oh yeah, that's wood" but literally after setting foot on it, "Well, maybe not."

Gonna jump piggyback on this post since I have a similar issue and was wondering for any possible fixes. I just recently moved my workspace up to another room directly above where someone else sleeps, does work, etc. Unfortunately distinct from the quoted post, my spot produces a ton of noise from stressed flooring or whatnot, a lot of creaking and etc, which would be a huge annoyance to the person downstairs. That along with my office chair having 'sticky' wheels + medium high pile carpet here makes the chair get stuck and tons of thumping heard whenever I move around. I was wondering if a stiff mat of some sort would even do anything to combat this problem, idk it would definitely make the chair roll smoother, but I was wondering if it'd also maybe dampen the sound by diffusing blunt impacts more across a wider surface?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
In theory yes, but the flooring substrate/finished floor is already doing that.

Creaks can be caused from the supporting lumber having gaps between them and the floor and probably other reasons.

Shimming/wood glueing the substrate to the lumber would be the fix to me, or perhaps the creaking is distributed to where the ceiling meets the wall? but yeah distributing weight could help.

Distributing it further to 4 corners on spots that you knew wouldn't creak would work failing that.

Edit: or maybe somewhat hard foam under a hard mat?

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 21, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the noises are coming from the floor structure moving around as weight shifts then there's nothing you can buy to place on top of the floor that is going to fix that. You're at the stage where you're lifting your floor boards up and adding blocking to stiffen the whole thing up, and then putting it back together with some sort of decoupling layer under the finished floor to stop sound transmitting through as easily.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yeaah, I'm not in a position to be able to rip out the floor/ceiling like that. I will be getting a mat anyways though so that the chair can at least move more smoothly without jerking around

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I love my Leap V2 to death but I have to say.....a thousand loving dollars for the chair and they still can't figure out how to make a caster that doesn't annihilate your Achilles tendon if you accidentally roll into it? jesus christ it's like Steelcase specifically designed the spacing on these things to be the absolute perfect height to chomp down. barefooted work-from-homers beware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

Gonna jump piggyback on this post since I have a similar issue and was wondering for any possible fixes. I just recently moved my workspace up to another room directly above where someone else sleeps, does work, etc. Unfortunately distinct from the quoted post, my spot produces a ton of noise from stressed flooring or whatnot, a lot of creaking and etc, which would be a huge annoyance to the person downstairs. That along with my office chair having 'sticky' wheels + medium high pile carpet here makes the chair get stuck and tons of thumping heard whenever I move around. I was wondering if a stiff mat of some sort would even do anything to combat this problem, idk it would definitely make the chair roll smoother, but I was wondering if it'd also maybe dampen the sound by diffusing blunt impacts more across a wider surface?

Find the squeaky spot where the subfloor is over the corresponding floor joist and drive some 2.5" framing screws into it through the carpet, repeat until quiet. Don't miss the joists.

e: could alternatively use trim head screws which would hide easier

Yerok fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2020