Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

That's almost too good

I just started up a new run and I'm forcing myself not to take Zephyr just so I have to use the other agents on their own merits instead of just going "okay who will assist her in punching better"

To be fair, I tackled Progeny first on my initial playthrough, so by the time I regularly saw enemies that could inflict rooted, I'd forgotten she was immune.

Shelter is actually an interesting agent with good timeline manipulation if you're willing to carry him past his incredibly lovely early levels. Hard counter for a lot of Gray Phoenix nonsense once he hits Senior Agent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like Shelter, but that's largely because I just use him to move enemies into range of a shrapnel grenade/crowd control combo. I'm not even sure what else he really does?? I guess disorients people?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crane Fist posted:

I like Shelter, but that's largely because I just use him to move enemies into range of a shrapnel grenade/crowd control combo. I'm not even sure what else he really does?? I guess disorients people?

He gets a couple of psionic attacks that can't miss, do guaranteed damage that bypasses armor and can heal him, and also eventually gets the ability to summon a psionic clone of himself that has his relocation power and his damage dealing powers along with any upgrades you've made to them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 20 - Uh Oh Spaghettios

Terminal please come back

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mmm delicious notdogs

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Epic weapons do actually get the bonuses from the Enhanced and Mastercrafted upgrades for their respective weapon categories.

That said, going for upgraded field teams is good because it'll eventually allow you to put up to two Agents at a time into the Assembly, Spec Ops or Training.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

W.T. Fits posted:

Epic weapons do actually get the bonuses from the Enhanced and Mastercrafted upgrades for their respective weapon categories.

That said, going for upgraded field teams is good because it'll eventually allow you to put up to two Agents at a time into the Assembly, Spec Ops or Training.

:stwoon: Oh hell yes

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Danaru posted:

:stwoon: Oh hell yes

Go for assembly first. Two agents cuts research time in loving half.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Cherub is such a precious boy.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They call him Cherub because he's a precious angelic child

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know Zephyr punches great when you think "Man it would be so loving bullshit if enemies did this when they punch you."

Also, faceless rights group chat reminds me of a very dumb movie I once watched, that had a single feature I ever remember.

The very generically named "Spaceship" (?) , it had Leslie Nielsen slumming it. Where the monster sang a five minute song about how he wanted to eat your face... and then there was like another three minutes of dead air while it just danced silently to stock music to fill time.

This dumb trivia is relevant because the scientist got his arms ripped off while still convinced "But we can be friends with faceless monster!"

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
And that's why I'm not so much into Verge. Berserk doesn't always go after your enemies. If they can't see an enemy your own people are just as viable as a target. Some, I think, are hard coded to never go after enemy teammates. Either way they can still miss their allies and confirmation bias always has them hit you.

On the flip side Stupor is a coin flip. Either it stuns an enemy for a turn or they get one action anyway. Which they generally use to screw you up.

As a topper once you use it on an enemy you can't use it on them again.

For other opinions Torque's poison is a 100% accurate breach damage over time. Which is usually a much better option than shooting someone. Always be spitting.

More fun facts. Bound enemies don't get their turn. Just crawl up to one for crowd control. The damage falls off after time as the game progresses but it's always hilarious to bind them in your own poison.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Go for assembly first. Two agents cuts research time in loving half.
I've never felt behind on research even without double-teaming it. Two agents on spec ops is where it's at IMO, in order to control anarchy/unrest and keep STAR operations rolling.

kaosdrachen posted:

Cherub is such a precious boy.
Cherub is top boy. (Terminal is S+++ girl.)

Kinfolk910 posted:

And that's why I'm not so much into Verge. Berserk doesn't always go after your enemies. If they can't see an enemy your own people are just as viable as a target. Some, I think, are hard coded to never go after enemy teammates. Either way they can still miss their allies and confirmation bias always has them hit you.

On the flip side Stupor is a coin flip. Either it stuns an enemy for a turn or they get one action anyway. Which they generally use to screw you up.

As a topper once you use it on an enemy you can't use it on them again.
The only enemies I've seen attack your agents are melee-only units like chryssalids and faceless. Gun enemies always shoot their friends if they have the option, and you can choose the one flanking their buddies, or the ones with the heaviest weapons. With stupor, forcing the enemy to choose between repositioning and shooting means they usually end up taking shots at agents in full cover instead of flanking. With the healing & shooting upgrades, Verge gets better the longer battles go on, getting positively tanky with a large network, and he can use Mindflay or his not-yet-seen Principal Agent power to turn the tide in big fights. A+ agent, I always bring him on boss missions for reasons we'll see later and to carry Impetuous Spire. None of the other assault rifle users can match him.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 12, 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

None of the other assault rifle users can match him.

To be fair, the only other assault rifle users are Patchwork and maybe an android if you bother to use one. :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I rest my case.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kinfolk910 posted:

His upgrade that means enemies in the neural network always go unconscious instead of dying is nice for getting intel and his Principal Agent power is basically just "all who oppose me go immediately to hell" but yeah he can be unhelpful when there's a bunch of melee and/or psychic enemies to deal with

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The main problem with Verge is that he needs time to set-up his Neural Network and by that time everything is already dead.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Verge is great on harder difficulties. Surprisingly so in some missions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 21 - Only Looked Like A War Crime

I sincerely hope they never fix these animation bugs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

How would getting hugs from two snake ladies at the same time actually work?

I'm not willing to browse Reddit to find out though. I bet they moved on from that to something even more outlandish.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

starbucks hermit posted:

How would getting hugs from two snake ladies at the same time actually work?

I'm not willing to browse Reddit to find out though. I bet they moved on from that to something even more outlandish.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They don't do a good job of explaining it, but: all of the breach items are "bombs", all the items you can use in combat are "grenades." So Cease Fire Bomb is a breach item and the Cease Fire Grenade can be tossed mid encounter.

The text box for Praetorian's duel that disappeared too fast said that, when duel is active, the Praetorian and their target cannot miss each other.

To bind, Torque needs to be directly adjacent to the target; she can't be on a diagonal. (Tight bind was a prime pick, BTW.)

Patchwork does a lot of murders because all(?) her abilities do lethal damage.

Honestly, Torque's dialog in HQ is much better than her combat dialog. I feel like they finished her battle lines before they fully fleshed her character out.

Clarste posted:

The main problem with Verge is that he needs time to set-up his Neural Network and by that time everything is already dead.
This is not the case on higher difficulties, and in any case Banish is such a ridiculously good ability that it's worth picking a favorite assault rifle carrier and leveling them up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:eyepop:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Also, researching and building upgraded weapon types also increases the damage output of the unique weapons of that type.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Duffman! Can't breathe!

Ohhhhhhh no!

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 14, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 22 - Orville Redenbacher Looking Sectoid

It might be a way better built XCOM game than the PS4 port of XCOM 2, but it's still an XCOM game

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Some savage anti-Faceless racism this episode

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Some savage anti-Faceless racism this episode

Uh you can't be racist against faceless because most of the time they shapeshift into white guys

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Instead of a picture of Mary when it crashes, you should post a picture of Andrea.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

It took until episode 22 for Dan to finally find out why Axiom is the fun kind of bullshit!

The other kind requires him to be max level and the opportunity has already passed: He can learn to counter melee attacks to utterly trivialise ronin as they kill themselves on him.

Last Transmission fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 20, 2020

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My theory on faceless is that moving in human form is like walking around crouched down and hunched over. Feels good to stretch out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I dont trust any species that goops. Cancel me on PsiTwitter all you want, it just makes my opinions worse <:mad:>

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

I dont trust any species that goops. Cancel me on PsiTwitter all you want, it just makes my opinions worse <:mad:>

Terminal goops. Do you trust Terminal?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

W.T. Fits posted:

Terminal goops. Do you trust Terminal?

Terminal has a nice, Terran goop, not this strange outside goop :colbert:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

what is this speciesism, where are the mods???

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Verge spits poison goop!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Verge spits poison goop!

You're thinking of Torque.

Also, Torque is an earthling. Technically.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

W.T. Fits posted:

You're thinking of Torque.

Also, Torque is an earthling. Technically.

I bet some humans would pay for that sort of thing

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Ffs my brain. I did mean Torque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
[watching some guy get melted by my plasma rifle]: woah racist much??