Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

yea he was fine in that. also nightcourt. i think i was traumitised by the master of disguise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

wait, i think i thought master of disguise was a carrot top movie featuring bret spiner. i swear to god there's a movie where farting data fights a puppet

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
5 minutes into most recent Disco. . .loving hell Michael is getting harder and harder to watch each episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alexandriao posted:

Uhhhh, do you think recovering from trauma is a straight linear graph? It's more of a spiral. You get better then something happens and you instinctively revert to old ways of being, then you realise and get better and you figure out how to stop that from happening again. You will forget stuff you learned last week because it's habit for you to not do xyz, or it still feels strange and human memory is super malleable :/

Sure this is partly a lovely plot, but it's also unintentionally realistic.

lol, no, this is quite explicit with Voyager's writing; Rick Berman was quite specific that continuity was forbidden. See also B'Elanna's Furious Klingon Temper that she barely controls appearing only about once per season for a B'Elanna-centric episode.

You're reading waaaay too much into a show made by someone that treated music as "Sonic wallpaper" and encouraged the cast to be as bland as possible so guest stars stood out more.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

alexandriao posted:

That's the thing though. Data does have emotions. He has faith that he's not just a computer. He tries and wants to fit in and feels a need to do that. He feels bad when he hurts others and he feels concern about his friends' wellbeing. He misses people and likes some people's company over the company of others. He felt visibly hurt, however slightly, when his mother said in the cavern about leaving him behind (the second time, not the time in ten forward). It has been shown, time and time again, that Data does have emotions.

And with Pulaski, he felt a need to display to her that he was not a robot, and did not like her using the wrong pronunciation of his name.

Someone completely without emotions wouldn't do any of that. There is no need to correct Pulaski about his name, there is no logical reason for him to want to be human versus accepting he is a computer, for missing people or preferring one person over another, or wanting to fit in. And there wasn't a logical reason for going into Starfleet, his reason was emotional -- they turned him on (not sexually lmao) and saved him, and he felt ties towards their benefaction, that's an emotional reason.

In addition, it is clear he has sexuality and emotions because otherwise the alcohol virus could not have affected him. It's also referenced by his mother that Soong gave him sexuality, and a creative drive. I argue that someone without emotions would not feel the need to have sex regardless of how much alcohol had lowered their inhibitions, especially when the priorities he had were ensuring the safety of the crew, and helping Doctor Crusher work on a vaccine.

What he doesn't have is emotional extremes. He can't get frustrated and doesn't jump to feeling angry or happy. He doesn't feel elated, he is just content. All of his emotions are extremely muted, but they exist.

this is a really great take, thank you for posting it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol, no, this is quite explicit with Voyager's writing; Rick Berman was quite specific that continuity was forbidden. See also B'Elanna's Furious Klingon Temper that she barely controls appearing only about once per season for a B'Elanna-centric episode.

You're reading waaaay too much into a show made by someone that treated music as "Sonic wallpaper" and encouraged the cast to be as bland as possible so guest stars stood out more.

literally the only voyager music i can really remember is the dramatic stuff when the prometheus goes to black alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07eyG5l7dVE

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crusader posted:

this is a really great take, thank you for posting it

Agree with this, too, though I think season 1 data is rather inconsistently written and acted, but Spiner got it, fundamentally, even if after that he had to have an episode every season where he gets to actually act in a way he's more accustomed to doing. Honestly, I think he's the best actor on the show including Stewart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Agree with this, too, though I think season 1 data is rather inconsistently written and acted, but Spiner got it, fundamentally, even if after that he had to have an episode every season where he gets to actually act in a way he's more accustomed to doing. Honestly, I think he's the best actor on the show including Stewart.

We just watched Elementary, Dear Data tonight and I agree with this, at least in a sense. Stewart does great literally almost always, but Spiner just seamlessly drops in and out of Data and Holmes on the fly, and I don't know if Stewart has even had the opportunity to do that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

We just watched Elementary, Dear Data tonight and I agree with this, at least in a sense. Stewart does great literally almost always, but Spiner just seamlessly drops in and out of Data and Holmes on the fly, and I don't know if Stewart has even had the opportunity to do that.

The flute episode where he just seamlessly drops into being a peasant will stick with me forever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Washout posted:

The flute episode where he just seamlessly drops into being a peasant will stick with me forever.

Most TV episodes aren't shot in sequence.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Timby posted:

Most TV episodes aren't shot in sequence.

no see, there was an actual flute

edit: i forgot it's the probe that does the mind thing not the flute :ughh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

no, see, I wrote it right here:

alexandriao posted:

unintentionally realistic.

also for what it's worth, I deeply hate the guy for firing Ron Jones. Sometimes I will just listen to the Best Of Both Worlds soundtrack, because it's such good music. I also like the stuff he did with the sentient crystals.

For any readers that don't know, all of his star trek soundtracks are on (the eminently unethical) Spotify.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 20, 2020

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Washout posted:

Not quite what I'm talking about. Spiner would be hamming it up as Holmes (and Burton provides a great contrast by completely underselling Geordi's Watson) but then will just be Data to answer a question for Geordi, and vice-versa, all in one take.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The man who acts like an emotionless robot is a good actor

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

While it's obvious that it is Spiner who masterfully depicts Data's evil twin brother Lore it might surprise you to learn that the same actor also plays the role of their creator Dr. Noonien Soong. Spiner's performance as the genius android cyberneticist is so transformative and the makeup work so convincing that it is hard to imagine that it is the same actor.

What I consider to be Spiner's magnum opus occurred during the Season 6 episode "Fist Full Of Datas." In the frontier America period piece that transcends character study Spiner effortlessly shifts from role to role eventually plays the entire town of Deadwood in an unprecedented performance. What Spiner puts on display is a masterclass in the art form.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That episode was pretty good.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo is TNG S1's "When The Bough Breaks" unbelievably stupid. I guess adoption agencies no longer exist in 2364 so let's steal some children?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy poo poo is TNG S1's "When The Bough Breaks" unbelievably stupid. I guess adoption agencies no longer exist in 2364 so let's steal some children?

Where are they supposed to get adoption agencies from on a mythical hidden planet that no one believes exists and doesn't have any children?

I mean yes it's a stupid episode but that's mainly because it has wesley crusher in it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
LMAO I forgot that the USS Voyager was Janeway's first command. They really did promote her to admiral so she couldn't gently caress up that bad anymore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

She got her ship and crew home, and hosed up the borg big time. How's that a gently caress up?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

CainFortea posted:

Where are they supposed to get adoption agencies from on a mythical hidden planet that no one believes exists and doesn't have any children?

I mean yes it's a stupid episode but that's mainly because it has wesley crusher in it.

I'd like to think that after the first visit with the mythical planet, the Federation flagship could have made a few calls to the Federation to help out one or two children on various border worlds 'displaced' by war with the (at this early point in the series) Romulans. The writers really missed a beat by not showing the larger landscape of the galaxy and leaning waaaay too hard on manufactured conflict.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I'd like to think that after the first visit with the mythical planet, the Federation flagship could have made a few calls to the Federation to help out one or two children on various border worlds 'displaced' by war with the (at this early point in the series) Romulans. The writers really missed a beat by not showing the larger landscape of the galaxy and leaning waaaay too hard on manufactured conflict.

Anything that gets them away from the Season 1 rape gangs!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CainFortea posted:

She got her ship and crew home, and hosed up the borg big time. How's that a gently caress up?

Getting them stranded in the first place. All the dumb poo poo she did while in the Delta Quadrant. And the Janeway that became an admiral didn't really get her people home. It was future Janeway who had to commit multiple crimes and break all the rules to cheat and bring them home early.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

She got them all home, so she couldn't be cashiered out, but they sure as hell promoted her to Admiral so she'd never sit in a captain's chair again. Cf. Kirk, James T.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, but this episode takes place during that first visit to the mythical planet. And then they stole the kids during that visit.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Getting them stranded in the first place. All the dumb poo poo she did while in the Delta Quadrant. And the Janeway that became an admiral didn't really get her people home. It was future Janeway who had to commit multiple crimes and break all the rules to cheat and bring them home early.

How exactly did she get them stranded? She didn't send a text to the Caretaker going "lol bruh take me i'm ready". Voyager got yeeted to the delta quadrant without asking. And there's no way in hell they could have used the station after the guardian died to send themselves home. The kaizon were shooting at them at the time. It was either let the kaizon take the station or blow it up.

And technically since the future admiral came back to help her get her ship home faster that means she got her crew and ship home, twice. Once, and then did it again but faster. And then faster janeway got promoted to admiral as well.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Okay, but this episode takes place during that first visit to the mythical planet. And then they stole the kids during that visit.

How exactly did she get them stranded? She didn't send a text to the Caretaker going "lol bruh take me i'm ready". Voyager got yeeted to the delta quadrant without asking. And there's no way in hell they could have used the station after the guardian died to send themselves home. The kaizon were shooting at them at the time. It was either let the kaizon take the station or blow it up.

And technically since the future admiral came back to help her get her ship home faster that means she got her crew and ship home, twice. Once, and then did it again but faster. And then faster janeway got promoted to admiral as well.

The correct move is to use the station to go back home and let the Kazon take it when you’re gone.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

While it's obvious that it is Spiner who masterfully depicts Data's evil twin brother Lore it might surprise you to learn that the same actor also plays the role of their creator Dr. Noonien Soong. Spiner's performance as the genius android cyberneticist is so transformative and the makeup work so convincing that it is hard to imagine that it is the same actor.

What I consider to be Spiner's magnum opus occurred during the Season 6 episode "Fist Full Of Datas." In the frontier America period piece that transcends character study Spiner effortlessly shifts from role to role eventually plays the entire town of Deadwood in an unprecedented performance. What Spiner puts on display is a masterclass in the art form.

This sounds like something American Psycho's Patrick Bateman would say if he was a TNG fan.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Number_6 posted:

This sounds like something American Psycho's Patrick Bateman would say if he was a TNG fan.

lets see paul allens card

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CainFortea posted:

And there's no way in hell they could have used the station after the guardian died to send themselves home.

Haven't seen the episode in forever but I could have sworn there was dialogue that said they could do exactly that, but then they'd be leaving the perfectly-functional array in Kazon hands.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

a sea of bad takes here:

#1: the planet took the children, the enterprise got them back, and then probably got in touch with the federation to figure something out to ensure their society could continue. whether that's genetic repair and embryo creation, or intergalactic fostering, etc.

#2: All she had to do was beam a timed detonation photon torpedo within range of the station 2 seconds before the caretaker sent them home. hell they've shown they can do fractional second beaming times sometimes. so we could hit 500 milliseconds and not even have to flinch for incoming fire. and hell, any incoming fire would only damage 2 decks anyway. then they would be home.

Also, it really was not their fight. The prime directive kicks in stops them from interfering with the occampa, not just that but the Kazon have a right to the caretaker's array. Just like the Federation has a right to all the random tech it finds.

But she wanted them to get trapped. She saw the delta quadrant and internally was like "If I pull this off... I can become the most decorated Starfleet officer, and we'll have discovered so many new worlds it'll be amazing". It's pure sadism (towards the crew).

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Ferengi wormhole episode is far more egregious than the Caretaker anyways. A direct wormhole back to the Alpha Quadrant (a place chock full of species getting duped by Ferengis on a daily basis) but she refuses to use it because some country bumpkins are getting a bit hosed by the local Ferengi from that Troi episode of TNG.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

all she had to do was beam them up, flip the bird, and leave. yeah.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

lets see paul allens card

TRY GETTING RESERVATIONS AT SISKO'S NOW, YOU STUPID BASTARD

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

The Ferengi wormhole episode is far more egregious than the Caretaker anyways. A direct wormhole back to the Alpha Quadrant (a place chock full of species getting duped by Ferengis on a daily basis) but she refuses to use it because some country bumpkins are getting a bit hosed by the local Ferengi from that Troi episode of TNG.

The whole conclusion of the TNG episode was that the wormhole was only fixed in the Alpha Quadrant. By the time Voyager cruised around, their neutrino-puckered anus home had been gone for 7 seasons worth of Trek! :techno:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/thisismewhatevs/status/1230326291964010497?s=19

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Poison Mind posted:

The whole conclusion of the TNG episode was that the wormhole was only fixed in the Alpha Quadrant. By the time Voyager cruised around, their neutrino-puckered anus home had been gone for 7 seasons worth of Trek! :techno:

Yes it was fixed in the Alpha Quadrant, which is where Voyager wants to go? In the Voyager episode it was indeed only moving from their side, and instead of quickly going through it while they had the chance they stay behind to moralize to some space goblins.

That’s probably when the crew mutinies, realistically.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the very least shoot a log bouy through first thing.

At the end of the episode don't the Ferengi get sent back to the Alpha Quadrant and then apparently just never tell anyone about Voyager?

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Huh, I guess I straight up memory-holed the end of that episode. It's a shame, because I particularly enjoyed False Profits as a break from blander episodes. I still wonder what camp the series could have achieved if the Sikarians had been recurring villains as originally intended. I do not enjoy boring seasons like this. It's most unsettling, not at all pleasurable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Haven't seen the episode in forever but I could have sworn there was dialogue that said they could do exactly that, but then they'd be leaving the perfectly-functional array in Kazon hands.

alexandriao posted:

#2: All she had to do was beam a timed detonation photon torpedo within range of the station 2 seconds before the caretaker sent them home.

It was a bunch of people going "but we could use it to go home!" with absolutely no chance to study the technology involved or with any knowledge of how the station works or anything.

Even *IF* they could use the station to go home, it wasn't something they could just push a button to do. They would have had to study it and do some bullshit engineering stuff with. The caretaker died in front of Janeway. It wasn't available to send them home. You've invented something that didn't happen to make your edgelord fanfic work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The episode literally textually presents them with a choice of going home at the cost of leaving it in Kazon hands, that's the entire point of the ending.

quote:

CARETAKER: The self-destruct programme has been damaged. Now this installation will not be destroyed. But it must be. The Kazon must not be allowed to gain control of it. They will annihilate the Ocampa.
<caretaker dies>
TUVOK: Shall I activate the programme to get us back?
JANEWAY: And what happens to the Ocampa after we're gone?

People have been going 'can't you just use a time bomb?' since it aired.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 21, 2020