Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone tried Vya sweet vermouth? It sounds nice but I’m not sure if it’s worth tracking down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s good, totally fine for what you need it for and at a reasonable price. Was my go to for a while because it’s fun to mix it up. Their dry is good too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Finally finished my first bottle of fernet branca. Definitely grew on me over the months, especially after having fernet & coke at a bar once.

What's a good next amaro? I've heard cynar referenced here a lot.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Finally finished my first bottle of fernet branca. Definitely grew on me over the months, especially after having fernet & coke at a bar once.

I love Amaro Montenegro, nice bitter orange liquor with a cool looking bottle.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Depends on what you want, since there are so many amari out there. Montenegro is great, Cynar is great, I've recently been really into Braulio, I like Branca Menta a lot when it gets cold outside, Cardamaro is always a nice intro amaro...

This Reddit categorization and this BA intro article just came up when I did a search for "amaro categorization," they might be good starting points for you.

Edit: I should also say that if Fernet Branca was your first amaro pretty much all of them that you're likely to find easily will be less intense, so you really shouldn't worry much about buying something that you won't be able to drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've really been enjoying Amaro CioCiaro recently. It's nice and orangy, and really has beena fun addition to the bar both for spritzes and modified old fashioneds.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Branca is my favorite, for absolute sure. I also keep stocked up with cynar (both proofs), montenegro, zucca rabarbaro, sfumato rabarbaro, and Alpa Lys. Probably my favorite class if drink.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

BrianBoitano posted:

Cynar is great and quite versatile.

Get it just in time to make Bitter Giuseppe's for after thanksgiving dinner.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Klauser posted:

Get it just in time to make Bitter Giuseppe's for after thanksgiving dinner.
Im gonna try one of these after dinner tonight, thanks for the rec.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought I'd enjoy Fernet Branca a lot, and didn't at all. It just tasted like anise toothpaste to me.

Are there amaros that are more like, I don't know, Strega or Galliano or red vermouth or...anything but Fernet Branca? That and Jagermeister are the only bitter liqueurs I've ever had that I didn't like.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought I'd enjoy Fernet Branca a lot, and didn't at all. It just tasted like anise toothpaste to me.

Are there amaros that are more like, I don't know, Strega or Galliano or red vermouth or...anything but Fernet Branca? That and Jagermeister are the only bitter liqueurs I've ever had that I didn't like.

Fernets fall towards the more bitter side of the spectrum. Try nonino, Montenegro, averna, nardini(one of my personal favorites, has some oxidized wine characteristics), or sfumato(more bitter than the others, but interesting smokey flavor).

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Yeah if Branca is too toothpastey for you I'd give Averna or Cynar a try.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you like Strega then I second Nonino and Montenegro, and throw in Suze white.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

LionYeti posted:

I'm trying to add stuff to my Christmas list. I have the standard main spirits, Amaro Montenegro, Campari, and Aperol a basic boston shaker and hawthorne strainer, a decent mixing glass and measurer. What else should I add? Where is the easy upgrade

What about a couple of high-ish end liquors? Giffard Banane du Bresil tastes like actual bananas rather than yellow Laffy Taffys. I've also heard good things about their Abricot du Roussillon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been satisfied with Giffard products on the whole. Creme de cacao, creme de pamplemousse, triple sec, abricot, etc. The pamplemousse is a must if you like grapefruit at all.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Cocktail Codex recommends Giffard as their preferred brand for most “flavored liqueurs” (not sure what to call these, schnapps?) , from what I’ve seen.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think flavored liqueurs is accurate enough. In general liqueurs are sub 35% abv, have sugar added, and aren’t a distillate product. Schnapps are generally distilled from the fruit and have a higher abv. In general being the key phrase.

A creme is a richer and sweeter liqueur, usually 20%abv or less.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Was making an aperitif for my partner and myself tonight and had a fun little riff on fernet and coke. In a highball glass with ice:

1.5 oz Averna
1 oz Fernet
0.5 oz coffee liquor

Give that a quick stir, then top with some seltzer. Garnish with an olive.

You get some of that nice richness, not too bitter, and not soo much sweetness that coke can bring.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
One of my favorite drinks is the rum and coke from the now closed Blacktail in NYC.

1oz white rum
.75oz cola syrup
.5t fernet branca
1 dash Orinoco bitters (dead rabbit's, use ango if you don't got em)
4oz champagne

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

One of my favorite drinks is the rum and coke from the now closed Blacktail in NYC.

1oz white rum
.75oz cola syrup
.5t fernet branca
4oz champagne

I’ve made this with both Fernet and Averna, and I did prefer the Averna. I find Fernet overpowering in just about everything.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

1oz white rum
.75oz cola syrup
.5t fernet branca
4oz champagne

Oh champagne? I wonder are you using brut or something sweeter? That sounds really interesting but I would have never thought of asking champagne.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve made this with both Fernet and Averna, and I did prefer the Averna. I find Fernet overpowering in just about everything.

Is a Fernet and a PBR a thing where you guys live, or is it just a west coast eccentricity? That's how I got turned on to Fernet in the first place - that was always the shot and a beer special when I was playing in punk bands in Oakland and Reno.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Boston was always fernet and high life

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is a Fernet and a PBR a thing where you guys live, or is it just a west coast eccentricity? That's how I got turned on to Fernet in the first place - that was always the shot and a beer special when I was playing in punk bands in Oakland and Reno.

The Chicago analogue is with Malort (though also probably Old Style or Hamm's instead of PBR)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My local is tecate and old crow

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know why you'd want to ruin a perfectly good can of Tecate like that.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I know book chat was just a couple pages ago, but could someone recommend a good cocktail book to give as a Christmas gift? I guess the next step up from this is a martini, sour, collins, etc.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

I know book chat was just a couple pages ago, but could someone recommend a good cocktail book to give as a Christmas gift? I guess the next step up from this is a martini, sour, collins, etc.

Cocktail Codex is a good beginner book, because it provides a taxonomy as a jumping off point for learning about the breadth of recipes out there, as well as a bottle guide for the various types of liquor. It also has lovely photographs, recipes for syrups and notes on technique.

I haven’t read Sasha Petraske’s “regarding cocktails,” but I intend to, and most every recipe I’ve made from there is excellent.

If you want a history book and not a recipe guide, David Wondrich’s “Punch!” is a fun read.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Punch! is absolutely a recipe guide.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

You're thinking of his biography of Professor Jerry Thomas "Imbibe!"

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Imbibe! has recipes too!

I think “Regarding Cocktails” is a great intro book. Lots of technique notes and more achievable recipes than like PDT/Death&Co/etc.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

While flavor profile wise, definitely a different direction, but quite bitter if you want to try a strong step in that direction after you've tried some milder styles, I love Amaro Dell'Erborista. It's made by Varnelli who also make an absolute banging coffee liqueur (if you can find it.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just tried Fernet-Branca and I think I like it considerably

Not many things seem like they go well with chocolate/spice flavors rather than citrus, but this seems like a good call for winter. Toothpaste smell or no

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Data Graham posted:

Just tried Fernet-Branca and I think I like it considerably

Not many things seem like they go well with chocolate/spice flavors rather than citrus, but this seems like a good call for winter. Toothpaste smell or no

Argentines love Fernet and coke because they are FREAKS

Fernet and Dr Pepper, on the other hand . . .

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

Argentines love Fernet and coke because they are FREAKS

Fernet and Dr Pepper, on the other hand . . .

gently caress off, Fernet con Cola is the bomb

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I had one. It kinda kicked rear end

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Making oleo saccharum. What am I drinkin tonight?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I have made oleo saccharum out of everything from satsuma peels to lemon balm stems. You're gonna have to be more specific.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

prayer group posted:

I have made oleo saccharum out of everything from satsuma peels to lemon balm stems. You're gonna have to be more specific.

Oh yeah, I forgot it isn’t just always orange. Navel orange!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Use coffee as your solvent instead of water and thank me later