Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

KazigluBey posted:

LoI, the idea the thread has put forward is that you should get some combat focused characters first and farmers after? So like, how correct/wrong is it to go 1 war/arch/mage first and then do like one of each focused on their respective farming?

I say go with what keeps you best engaged with the game, if crafting/farming is what you like the best then you'll want to start that content earlier.

But, You get 3 talent points in each tab for a main level up, but only 1 for a crafter's level. If you start mining at level 20 for example you'll basically have 60 points per tab to put into skills, and then let's say you get to level 10 mining, that's 80 total points, which is going to make getting higher levels in mining a very slow affair.

If you keep leveling up your main class to say, 30, that's 90 points per tab to play with, and then 10 in mining gets you a total of 200 points. That's a huge difference in terms of being able to invest into farming-specfic skills.

Since respec potions are fairly limited, it's not easy to swap back and forth between a leveling/xp setup and a farming setup, so you want to reduce the number of times you need to change your skills around as much as possible, which means focusing on combat and gaining levels up front is an attractive idea.

You get points for every skill you level up, even if it's not your main specialization, so even your mining-focused character is going to want to level up their chopping, fishing, catching, etc for the extra talent points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Idleon questions:

1) the potion food-slot items aren't used for crafting anything later on right? It's safe to just use them as I get 'em, maybe save some big ones for a boss someday? They're taking up a fair bit of space.

2) In one of the portals after the bean zone in world 1, you get taken to a small screen with small green and red mushroom enemies. I had no problems farming there for a bit to see what would happen, but my survival rating was at 1% for some reason. What's the purpose of this zone? Is there some rare mob that spawns in there sometimes that's much stronger than everything else in there?

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

LoI, the idea the thread has put forward is that you should get some combat focused characters first and farmers after? So like, how correct/wrong is it to go 1 war/arch/mage first and then do like one of each focused on their respective farming?

That's what I've been doing so far. My 4th was a warrior for mining and my 5th is a mage for chopping. Whenever I get my 6th it might be another Archer or the secret class if it gets put before I get to 225 total levels.

On another note I hit 15 fishing and there is another shop there for 4 reset fragments a day.
Don't do the quest for the tree guy in there. I did the first and now that character crashes my game anytime I open its codex.

Also for people who made it to the second map the 3rd area has the 2 class change. The 2nd map will hold you back the most for it and needs 217 acc for 100% and more than 75 def for no damage. I just used food to heal the damage since getting that much def can be tricky. When I went through it on my first character I had around 60-65 def and 200ish acc.

Edit:

Manyorcas posted:

Idleon questions:

1) the potion food-slot items aren't used for crafting anything later on right? It's safe to just use them as I get 'em, maybe save some big ones for a boss someday? They're taking up a fair bit of space.

2) In one of the portals after the bean zone in world 1, you get taken to a small screen with small green and red mushroom enemies. I had no problems farming there for a bit to see what would happen, but my survival rating was at 1% for some reason. What's the purpose of this zone? Is there some rare mob that spawns in there sometimes that's much stronger than everything else in there?

1) Some food is used for quests later (the meatloaf from the first boss is part of the picnic baskets chain) and other are used for crafting. The only recipes I have seen are carry capacity and peanuts (from the picnic basket chain) that use food. I don't have tier 2 recipes unlocked yet so I don't know if there is more there.

2) A boss spawns there at the top of every hour so XX:00 and seeing it and returning to the 1st class change NPC finishes his quest. His next quest is to kill it but it is stronger than the first boss. I think it is something like 350-400 acc for 100%. The first quest is pretty good headgear for warriors/mages. Forget all the stats but its +8 WIS base and +10% mana regen effect. Also this headband is part of the picnic basket chain so I would wait to push through that chain.

The picnic chain eventually leads to a trophy but currently its impossible to complete. Right now the furthest you can go is to where you need some ice cream drop which drops from world 3 enemies. There is some useful stuff for now in the chain like a special talent book for increasing crystal carrot spawn rate but you will need around 8-10 gold. Need 500 kebabs at one point and that costs around 8 gold from the world 2 store. Also the picnic chain resets everyday so you need to start over if you don't finish it in one day.

Fiss fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Manyorcas posted:

Idleon questions:

1) Yeah, I don't think there's any quest or crafting recipe that uses those. Plus you can buy all of those in the shop, so it's no big deal to use/sell them.

2) A boss spawns there at the top of every hour. It requires a ludicrous amount of accuracy to hit, so you probably shouldn't worry about it for a while. Though there is a quest obtained from the class change guy to simply see the boss, so you can complete that if you want.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Manyorcas posted:

Idleon questions:

1) You need 50 Nomwichs for the main quest, so try not to eat those.

2) As you guessed, a rare mob, Baba Yaga, spawns here at the top of the hour. You need to see it for one Prometheus quest, and kill it for another.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Klungar posted:

1) You need 50 Nomwichs for the main quest, so try not to eat those.

2) As you guessed, a rare mob, Baba Yaga, spawns here at the top of the hour. You need to see it for one Prometheus quest, and kill it for another.

Arzaac posted:

1) Yeah, I don't think there's any quest or crafting recipe that uses those. Plus you can buy all of those in the shop, so it's no big deal to use/sell them.

2) A boss spawns there at the top of every hour. It requires a ludicrous amount of accuracy to hit, so you probably shouldn't worry about it for a while. Though there is a quest obtained from the class change guy to simply see the boss, so you can complete that if you want.

Thank you both! Somehow I interpreted the hints to that boss quest as something that you see much, much later in the game or something, but that makes sense now. And actually using these potions is going to save me a lot of space.

Edit: So since the survivability stats of that zone was set to the boss, does that mean you can offline idle that boss too? Would you need to be afk for 4 hours to get 1 kill on it? Assuming you had the stats to trivialize it anyway.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 18, 2020

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

comingafteryouall posted:

NGU:
Sitting at the end of current content, finally. Please, 4G, finish the content and release me from this prison. It is insane how long I've been messing with this game.

Not sitting at the end yet, but otherwise :same:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there some sort of monster/drop compendium in Legends of Idleon? I found a white headband fairly early, trashed it because my inventory was full and now I need another for a quest and I don't want to grind low-level mobs longer than required. Plus seeing what other good stuff is out there would be great, like I have a stamp that increase choppin' xp and I have no idea where it came from.

Also despite my earlier reservations the game is fun, the big thing is offline gains are slow but steady so you can check in once every few hours, click a few times to hoover up giant stacks of items and adjust tasks as necessary. The first couple character are slow but now I'm up to four and approaching the first boss and the game has picked up a lot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gating attempts (not kills) on a boss on a daily timer is such hideous game design. I knew they were trying to emulate an mmo with this but "you hosed up once in a 9 minute fight, try again tomorrow" its not a game I'm interested in playing.

too bad, it looked like it had potential.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Is there some sort of monster/drop compendium in Legends of Idleon? I found a white headband fairly early, trashed it because my inventory was full and now I need another for a quest and I don't want to grind low-level mobs longer than required. Plus seeing what other good stuff is out there would be great, like I have a stamp that increase choppin' xp and I have no idea where it came from.

Also despite my earlier reservations the game is fun, the big thing is offline gains are slow but steady so you can check in once every few hours, click a few times to hoover up giant stacks of items and adjust tasks as necessary. The first couple character are slow but now I'm up to four and approaching the first boss and the game has picked up a lot.

IIRC the White Headband you can get from virtually every monster in World 1, so I wouldn't bother grinding for it in any particular place. And besides, the absolute best place to get one is from the World 1 boss, who has a much higher chance of dropping one.

There's a list of monster drops here. Though it's worth noting that most monsters have one rare drop unique to them, and the goal is eventually every monster will have one rare drop. Lots of them are equipment, but there are a few stamps here and there.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Lone Goat posted:

gating attempts (not kills) on a boss on a daily timer is such hideous game design. I knew they were trying to emulate an mmo with this but "you hosed up once in a 9 minute fight, try again tomorrow" its not a game I'm interested in playing.

too bad, it looked like it had potential.

I do agree that there should at least be a way to practice the fight with no loot drops in order to remove some of the anxiety about wasting the keys on your first few attempts or on a new class, there's already a difficulty slider so the groundwork is potentially there

The keys are more about limiting loot than they are about artifically inflating the difficulty though, you get 1 per day per character that reaches the village, and 3 for every dog bone quest, so eventually you hit a point where you're killing it 11 times in a row

Speaking of which, the boss drops that white headband and the rare pants at a much higher rate than the other mobs that drop it (mushrooms, frogs, beans)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

postmodifier posted:

I do agree that there should at least be a way to practice the fight with no loot drops in order to remove some of the anxiety about wasting the keys on your first few attempts or on a new class, there's already a difficulty slider so the groundwork is potentially there

The keys are more about limiting loot than they are about artifically inflating the difficulty though, you get 1 per day per character that reaches the village, and 3 for every dog bone quest, so eventually you hit a point where you're killing it 11 times in a row

Speaking of which, the boss drops that white headband and the rare pants at a much higher rate than the other mobs that drop it (mushrooms, frogs, beans)

Then let people try as many times as they want but cost a key when they actually get loot. Even on WOW they let you bang your face on a boss a million times in a row but only get paid once you successfully kill it, THEN you're on a timer before you can get loot again. Do that, but make the daily "key" unlock receiving loot again.

You're only killing it 11 times in a row if you can kill it every time, or even any time. Yes I'm mostly complaining because I died like 4 times in a row last night and "get good" isn't an option because I gotta wait 24 more hours before I try again. That's just bad design for no reason.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lone Goat posted:

Then let people try as many times as they want but cost a key when they actually get loot. Even on WOW they let you bang your face on a boss a million times in a row but only get paid once you successfully kill it, THEN you're on a timer before you can get loot again. Do that, but make the daily "key" unlock receiving loot again.

You're only killing it 11 times in a row if you can kill it every time, or even any time. Yes I'm mostly complaining because I died like 4 times in a row last night and "get good" isn't an option because I gotta wait 24 more hours before I try again. That's just bad design for no reason.

For what it's worth Idle Skilling also had the same god-awful design decision for Raid/Asylum bosses.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's definitely an obnoxious design decision, and given the boss' high accuracy requirement and strong attacks basically guarantees you'll waste at least one key to him. At the very least his moves are very obviously telegraphed so once you know what he can do he's pretty much a pushover.

He does also have a healing move that he uses way too often, but that's gonna be nerfed next patch.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Arzaac posted:

IIRC the White Headband you can get from virtually every monster in World 1, so I wouldn't bother grinding for it in any particular place. And besides, the absolute best place to get one is from the World 1 boss, who has a much higher chance of dropping one.

There's a list of monster drops here. Though it's worth noting that most monsters have one rare drop unique to them, and the goal is eventually every monster will have one rare drop. Lots of them are equipment, but there are a few stamps here and there.

Thanks, this is super helpful!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

To be honest I don't even know if it's worth trying to get them instead of just ploughing on into the next zone.

I'm a couple zones into sadistic and I'm still wearing that secret item. It's probably the most useful equipment in the game, so yeah, you should stick it out.

Akratic Method posted:

Not sitting at the end yet, but otherwise :same:

I'm between IH v1 and Breadverse and holy moly this grind is rough. Even with maxed pendant+looty I can't even make a dent.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Part of the reason I'm really hoping for that one additional feature is because I get the strong impression that NGU from mid sadistic on degrades into "slowly buy your way onward with EXP" and that sounds impenetrably dull to me. I'm coming up on Exile V4 and if 4G announces he's not doing another multiplier source I honestly might just call it at the end of Evil.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Idleon updated this morning!

Plenty of things in there, but most importantly, more quests now give talent point reset potions, there are a bunch more storage upgrades from drops and shops, and you now only need 4.2k plank kills to get to gigafrogs instead of 10k.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Not bad, wish it didn't take away automation every time you come to a new major layer and also that it gave out autobuyers sooner.

Thanks for the link the other day, just beat it myself. You weren't kidding about how you kept running into new content whenever you thought you were finally done.

Agreed on the automation front, though it does seem like there was a trend of only really losing automation for the very first reset of the new layer, and after that a milestone or something gives it back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's been a bunch of updates targeting the early game since I posted it, so anyone who was put off by that and is still interested might want to give it another go

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

def worth the ten bucks i payed like 6 months ago and then forgot about tbh

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The idleon world 1 boss was pretty painless as warrior for me. If you stand at his feet only the stomp and extending fist can hit you, so you just run back a bit.

Does anyone know stuff about alchemy? What are some must have upgrades? I’m just buying random stuff to increase production rate.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

please knock Mom! posted:

The idleon world 1 boss was pretty painless as warrior for me. If you stand at his feet only the stomp and extending fist can hit you, so you just run back a bit.

Does anyone know stuff about alchemy? What are some must have upgrades? I’m just buying random stuff to increase production rate.

I finally got it today (twice!) but man was it frustrating to keep eating poo poo like a dummy. Still had to use my autorez on one attempt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a more efficient way to find the boss other than just hang out on that screen until he appears? I tried flipping through different worlds but didn't know if that helped at all. I did finally see him and got owned but with some more accuracy I think I can get him now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

Is there a more efficient way to find the boss other than just hang out on that screen until he appears? I tried flipping through different worlds but didn't know if that helped at all. I did finally see him and got owned but with some more accuracy I think I can get him now.

the house? it shows up at the top of the hour. just be there at xx:59 and wait a couple minutes

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

please knock Mom! posted:

Quick and dirty rundown

Cauldrons: assign people to them to generate bar, spend bar to brew a new bubble or upgrade the cauldron. When you brew, it rolls a chance to unlock, chance goes down with each new bubble but you can boost it for better chances. Tiny bubbles are account-wide bonuses, big bubbles must be equipped and are really cool. Focus on unlocking a few small bubbles in each cauldron and then pick one of the four to try for a big one. The yellow one is what I am focusing on, the big bubble for that is a chance to give you a gift every time you level up anything, and the gifts are goooood stuff (xp baloons, talent reset frags, etc)

Waters: this is the main currency for upgrading alchemy. Assign people to generate water which you then use in tandem with other resources to boost, well, pretty much everything. You can also spend water to buy items on the shelf, most are trash garbage. More types of water unlock as you reach level 20/40/60 alchemy on one character.

Vials: weirdly implemnted but powerful. Stand in town in front of the alchemy cauldron and drag raw materials out of your inventory and onto the ground, itll roll a die and you have to beat a target number. More powerful vials have higher numbers to beat (copper is 1, goldfish is 84 for example). Vials are account wide buffs that do nice stuff, like more weapon power, more money, or chance to count one kill as two for purposes of unlocking portals. You start with 3 attempts a day but can upgrade for more. May have to scroll left or right on mobile to see unlocked vials, the room is wide.

Pay2Win: various speed and capacity buffs that you buy with gold, easy

Enjoy, theres a lot of content locked in that little pot and its very powerful

Edit: oh, and you get x2 alchemy xp an hour by generating water than you do from generating cauldron bars so you may want to rotate people around to level them up faster at lower levels

Using xp baloons in town 2 will award alchemy xp and its a fantastic place to spend them.

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 21, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Re:Bubbles. I'd recommend going with Agility, just because you unlock the ability to produce two items at once at the anvil. Which effectively translates to double Smithing exp.

The Strength and Intelligence big bubbles are specific to mining and chopping specifically, so they aren't as generically useful.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks guys, will keep that in mind. Right now I’m focusing on wisdom for my warrior main, though my current bottleneck is defense. Getting your subclass now requires 500 crab cakes instead of 1, so...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, make sure that you're using upgrade stones to get defense up on all of your equipment. I think you should be able to get it to where the crabs only deal about 5 damage or so, and then you can probably do the rest from there.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The crabs deal 4 damage to me right now. I’m getting iron pants soon which will fix that, though not entirely. Don’t have a chopper for jungle logs yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That Prestige Tree mod that was posted finally defeated me at Capsules. I could not stomach ANOTHER reset back to zero, especially when it looked like it would take several capsules to get anything that really significantly sped up the process of getting more Capsules. It seems like that's the last real layer anyways, so whatever.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
so, the latest Evolve update --- question about soul gems & the new content:

is there some trick to getting to 2000 gems for the towers - apart from waiting? Do the mysterious pillars boost gem drop rate? If you get enough security, does that reduce the soul gem cost somehow? Or do I just need to wait 70 hours for the gems to trickle in?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If anyone's still playing The Incrementreeverse, I'm stuck on the second boson challenge and making zero progress and unsure where to go next, any tips?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This might be a dumb question (not that that's ever stopped me!) but there's no reason to unlock the Mayo-generating trees before unlocking Cards in NGU, right? I can't build up a reserve to have ready to go when I unlock Cards or anything like that?

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If anyone's still playing The Incrementreeverse, I'm stuck on the second boson challenge and making zero progress and unsure where to go next, any tips?

Just make sure you are maximizing your challenge points after each super prestige point breakpoint where you get an incrementy stamina softcap increase. I remember there being a few points where you had to let the challenge run a bit longer than usual to get just enough challenge points to afford a new upgrade.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

torgo posted:

Just make sure you are maximizing your challenge points after each super prestige point breakpoint where you get an incrementy stamina softcap increase. I remember there being a few points where you had to let the challenge run a bit longer than usual to get just enough challenge points to afford a new upgrade.
I don't even know what that means, honestly.

I have the second boson challenge ("Bin") and I'm at e1.3m out of e1.8m, but there isn't anything I haven't bought except a 500,000 token upgrade when I have 27,000 and am earning 2 per second. And it looks like that gain is "boson gain ^ root(boson challenge completions)", which will be 1, because I only have 1 completion. I don't have any kind of challenge repeating or anything unlocked yet.

I could grind more shards, but I'm getting 17m per second and have 4.89e11 (because I was just asleep, you see). And there's no upgrades left to purchase so I'm clearly meant to do this second boson challenge next... right?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

This might be a dumb question (not that that's ever stopped me!) but there's no reason to unlock the Mayo-generating trees before unlocking Cards in NGU, right? I can't build up a reserve to have ready to go when I unlock Cards or anything like that?

I don't think it will even let you? The Mayo trees have probably the worst investment/reward of all of them anyway, so save them until after you've maxed every other tree, even after you have cards.

That said, try to unlock one anyway just to see if you can :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Manyorcas posted:

I don't think it will even let you? The Mayo trees have probably the worst investment/reward of all of them anyway, so save them until after you've maxed every other tree, even after you have cards.

That said, try to unlock one anyway just to see if you can :v:

I gave it a shot (hey, it's only a quarter-million seeds!) but it won't let me unlock it until Titan 9 is down. Ah, well!

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't even know what that means, honestly.

I have the second boson challenge ("Bin") and I'm at e1.3m out of e1.8m, but there isn't anything I haven't bought except a 500,000 token upgrade when I have 27,000 and am earning 2 per second. And it looks like that gain is "boson gain ^ root(boson challenge completions)", which will be 1, because I only have 1 completion. I don't have any kind of challenge repeating or anything unlocked yet.

I could grind more shards, but I'm getting 17m per second and have 4.89e11 (because I was just asleep, you see). And there's no upgrades left to purchase so I'm clearly meant to do this second boson challenge next... right?

Whoops, I messed up. I was thinking of the next set of challenges. Can you get any more challenge 1 completions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The boson challenges are repeatable, unlike the earlier ones. Only getting 2 tokens per second sounds like you've only done the first challenge once?