Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Anyone know of any free good cash game courses, or good resources to study cash games (full ring specifically)?

I've always been a tournament player and recently got into playing cash games (just 4-tabling on the side for a few hours every day).
Today was extremely painful, I was running terribly and getting coolered over and over again (set over set, boat over boat, cracked aces lots of times, getting 2 outed on the river, etc). I know it's just variance and I don't have a large enough sample size for cash games yet to see how I'm generally doing, but I after painful sessions like today, I feel motivated to study and identify my leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008

Lpzie posted:

dnegs vs polk going about as expected.

Ah a good old fashoined HU for rolls, doing 200 hands of this live seems especially dumb and pointless during a pandemic lol

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I have been wanting to go play live and I stupidly almost did on Friday night, I checked bravo and the wait list for spread limit was 40 fuckin people with 3 tables going, I bet that was like a 4+ hour wait. Glad that happened because it would’ve been dumb of me to go in the covid age. Still am itching to play some live tho. This poo poo sucks

J
Jun 10, 2001

More dnegs vs polk going now https://twitch.tv/upswingpoker

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Joe Ingram has been streaming it every day as well which I find to be a much better stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXplZiJY8n0

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Seems like Daniel is exceeding expectations. Is he playing better than people expected, or is he running good?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys. Poker in the Rear is long gone, and this seems to be its final remnant thread. As your newish TG mod, is there anything I can do to help you recover or revitalize the SA poker community? I realize a lot fell apart back when the whole legal blowup with stars etc. happened and that we've had a dwindling population of goons in general on SA. But if you have any ideas I'm all ears.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We could use a formal apology. :colbert:

For real though I don't think much will help this thread get revitalized. If quarantine didn't bring an online poker boom then there's not really any hope.

Unless there was a boom and I missed it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Leperflesh posted:

Hi guys. Poker in the Rear is long gone, and this seems to be its final remnant thread. As your newish TG mod, is there anything I can do to help you recover or revitalize the SA poker community? I realize a lot fell apart back when the whole legal blowup with stars etc. happened and that we've had a dwindling population of goons in general on SA. But if you have any ideas I'm all ears.

Honestly, the community here was gutted when the subforum was killed off. There's not really a good way to revitalise it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Unarchive the subforum?

I'd probably just post "gently caress ozma" a lot in it though.

I do still have a good chunk of money in pokerstars, but I can only play it when I'm in china. Unfortunately might be awhile before we figure this plague out and I can get over there again.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

odiv posted:

We could use a formal apology. :colbert:

For real though I don't think much will help this thread get revitalized. If quarantine didn't bring an online poker boom then there's not really any hope.

Unless there was a boom and I missed it.

I would have played online this whole quarantine if the state of Washington would have let me.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is there actually a reason apart from like screen real estate that the forum was deleted, now that we know the bandwidth thing was bullshit?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I genuinely don't know. A lot of stuff that took place back then wasn't documented, even in threads in the mods-only forums. The site was run by the seat of various people's pants. If Lowtax was involved, who knows. poo poo happened via text message and IRC channels or whatever. I don't think a single admin that was around back then is still here? I'm guessing. I can ask if anyone knows in the mods forum if there's some point to asking, like, if you feel you deserve an explanation that you never got.

I can say is that right now, TG is more or less in my hands as the only active mod for the sub, I have support from admins and the Games mods and a certain degree of trust. I'm also new and still figuring some things out so if I tried to do something crazy I might get pushback. I certainly can't create a new subforum entirely on my own prerogative.

But a year ago(? ish) someone made the new go outdoors and hike subforum, and there have been other experimental subforums. The idea being, if it doesn't work out you can always close it again? I haven't asked, but I would not expect to just get instant agreement for re-opening PitR unless I could point to a significant number of posters who would want it. I don't know how many that would be.

But that's putting the cart before the horse. Are you guys still in touch with many of the poker posters that were around back then? If word was spread around that SA was supporting more poker stuff, would we get new or return users? Do you think this one megathread and its age and relative obscurity is holding back other goons from posting about poker? The impression I get is that it's not exactly prime-time TV any more, the boom of online poker in the US is dead, etc. but my impression is very, very superficial. Should we reboot this thread? Maybe instead of "online poker" it should just be a poker thread? I could rename the thread too if that'd help?

I do think you guys deserve to not just be permanently ignored, regardless. I've been a TG regular for a long time, but my exposure was limited to a fairly short number of threads... including this one, and I don't think any other TG mod has been a pokerthread regular for a very long time. As a mod I think it's my responsibility to serve the entire TG community, and that includes the RPG nerds, the boardgame nerds, the Mafia/Werewolf nerds... and the poker nerds, yup you guys as well. If any of you have ideas or suggestions big or small I want to hear them. It might be that there's no chance to resurrect poker interest on SA, but if there is, and you guys want me to help, I'm up for it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
My guess is there are more goons who play poker than know about this thread, but PITR iirc was known as one of the best places to go for advice on the net at the time. That’s something you can’t put back in the bottle. I would be interested in knowing why it was shut down, but it was probably just because someone figured hell, why not.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I thought the reason it was shut down was because of money transfers and some mod thought it was a money laundering thing?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I remember clearly that the justification given at the time was that it was shut down because it was a "dead forum". Whoever it was who announced it said something like, "Dead forums are shut down, and this is literally the deadest forum I have ever seen."

To be honest, it didn't have a lot of activity by then. Just a few posts a week. But I never understood why that meant it needed to be shut down. It was a repository of information about a complex strategy game. It had value as a reference source, even if there wasn't a lot of new content being posted. Now it's all hidden in archives.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Harminoff posted:

I thought the reason it was shut down was because of money transfers and some mod thought it was a money laundering thing?

Yep, Scotsman went on vacation, I think someone reported a post in the transfer thread, and it seemed like ralp and ozma thought asking for "cake" was asking for laundered money or some poo poo. The forum was gone by the time Scots came back, haha.

I would be curious to know if someone got ripped off, and the admins just didn't want to listen to any of it? The money transfer thing was a bad idea imo, but drat, just shut that thread down.

Re-opening the forum and seeing those old threads again would be cool, they are all still there, just in the archives. Maybe it would get traffic, maybe not, but whats the harm in trying. Having an actual forum was good because you had threads for each of the different specialties and sites. Tournament poker is very different from cash, and super turbos are very different from regular tournaments. Jamming it all into one thread was never going to work - you've got guys who know a specific variant really well and are complete idiots about another, like me. And trying to keep lower traffic threads alive in the sea of boardgame threads was just never going to work. I think some of them were migrated over, with good info in them, but they just got swallowed up.

Maybe could have a general "real money wagering" forum, with sports betting legalized and popular in the US (how the gently caress do we have sports betting legalized everywhere, but still isn't easy to play internet poker).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Baddog posted:

Maybe could have a general "real money wagering" forum, with sports betting legalized and popular in the US (how the gently caress do we have sports betting legalized everywhere, but still isn't easy to play internet poker).

This is a fantastic idea, there’s a couple of threads in SAS and wrestlehut for it at the moment

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
re-open the poker forum and make me a moderator. I'll bring the poker back to the community.

I'm a lovely losing reg on pokerstars and ggpoker. it's perfect

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 21, 2020

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Nitr0 posted:

I'm a lovely losing reg on pokerstars and ggpoker. it's perfect

What stakes do you play?

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Yoshi Wins posted:

I remember clearly that the justification given at the time was that it was shut down because it was a "dead forum". Whoever it was who announced it said something like, "Dead forums are shut down, and this is literally the deadest forum I have ever seen."

To be honest, it didn't have a lot of activity by then. Just a few posts a week. But I never understood why that meant it needed to be shut down. It was a repository of information about a complex strategy game. It had value as a reference source, even if there wasn't a lot of new content being posted. Now it's all hidden in archives.

This is accurate. My memory is hazy from back then but I remember in the mod/admin forum they were discussing shutting it down due to it being a "dead forum". It wasn't dead but it was certainly not as popular as in its hey day and there was only a few posts per day. I tried to revitalize it - I think I remember talking a bunch with JCarver about doing stuff to get it going again - and think I had did a good job of getting it going again.

Then yep one week I was on vacation and came back and the entire forum was gone and I was no longer a mod/admin lol with no notice to me about it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d absolutely use a poker related sub. If that can’t happen, I also never got the logic behind this just being an online poker thread.

It feels a little strange sometimes to post in here, because it’s the only thread - thereve been hands where I’ve thought hmm would be good to talk about it, but is it worth posting in the only poker thread on SA? Nah probably not. Whereas if there was, say, a dedicated STT small stakes thread, I’d put it in there all day. People play different types of poker and I’d guess a lot of people are like me, and don’t play the trendier games so don’t feel that this is really a thread for us. That’s not anyone who posts here’s fault, just how it’s developed in my eyes. Please bring back pitr

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I have no idea if I'd post much because I am not allowed to play at all.

But I loved reading pitr and honestly I'm still bitter about it going away.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I only got into poker a few months ago, but I would love to chat and post hands here to be laughed at by goons rather than thousands of people in some FB group. But posting them here would mean adding too many qualifiers, whereas a micros thread would be ideal. Dunno how many other people would be up for posting regularly though.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008

Baddog posted:

I would like this

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I would love to see if a sub forum would fly. Like you said, if it doesn’t it doesn’t, but I would read and contribute.

J
Jun 10, 2001

silvergoose posted:

I have no idea if I'd post much because I am not allowed to play at all.

But I loved reading pitr and honestly I'm still bitter about it going away.

Same, I'm still waiting to be able to play online poker in the US without having to jump through a ton of hoops and sketchy sites. PITR was a total goldmine.

I think a real money wagering forum is a pretty cool idea, that should definitely get a decent enough amount of traffic and down the road the poker threads there could be split off into their own forum if there were concerns about niche thread visibility issues.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think the real money wagering forum is a good idea, I'd love to read if anyone has any educated opinions about sportsbetting and that kind of thing too.

I know there are at least a handful of goons, myself included, that are still professional poker players. I dunno how many other than me and like MY INEVITABLE DEBT would still post here but I mean I can put it out there to the people I know and see if anyone comes back.

There's also people like Adar that I think are still posters on here in general and still involved in the poker world even if they don't play that much anymore

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the real money wagering forum is a good idea, I'd love to read if anyone has any educated opinions about sportsbetting and that kind of thing too.

I know there are at least a handful of goons, myself included, that are still professional poker players. I dunno how many other than me and like MY INEVITABLE DEBT would still post here but I mean I can put it out there to the people I know and see if anyone comes back.

There's also people like Adar that I think are still posters on here in general and still involved in the poker world even if they don't play that much anymore

Think we can lure jcarver back for a post or three?

(last time I asked him about pitr on a stream it did not sound like he had any residual fondness for sa, just memories)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Think we can lure jcarver back for a post or three?

(last time I asked him about pitr on a stream it did not sound like he had any residual fondness for sa, just memories)

haha I dunno but I wouldn't be that optimistic about it, I don't even think he posted in pitr during its last couple years of existence

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I think a general gambling and degenercy forum would be pretty nice. during the democratic primaries i followed the PredictIt thread a lot but ended up not putting any money in due to the juice from taking out your winnings. that and the low amount of money you could even hold made it seem.. scammy?

anyways would be nice to bring back a forum for it instead of putting it in traditional games.

edit: i think as long as its difficult to play in the States the forum will be pretty idle, IMO. but i mean does it actually matter how much space it takes up? thats what i never understood about it being shut down in the first place.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 21, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there's enough responses here that I can float some ideas to the admins and see if anything sticks. I absolutely cannot promise anything... and, moreover, I would ask that you not be Real Mad if the answer that I get back is "not right now" or even "no". If that is the answer I expect to be able to bring you an explanation at least.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I think there's enough responses here that I can float some ideas to the admins and see if anything sticks. I absolutely cannot promise anything... and, moreover, I would ask that you not be Real Mad if the answer that I get back is "not right now" or even "no". If that is the answer I expect to be able to bring you an explanation at least.

I don't think anyone will be mad at all man, thanks for even trying, it's more than we've gotten in literally a decade or something

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

I don't think anyone will be mad at all man, thanks for even trying, it's more than we've gotten in literally a decade or something

Completely agreed, I appreciate the effort

Baddog
May 12, 2001

silvergoose posted:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

silvergoose posted:

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, you're doing great, regardless of the outcome. Thanks for caring!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've put in my blinds and antes, and there's admins at the table. By which I mean, there's a discussion. Too early to predict any results but the powers that be did not instantly scoop up their chips and leave when I sat down, so that's nice.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

silvergoose posted:

Yeah +1, no-one's given the tiniest poo poo about our corner of SA forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah it is very much appreciated. Also agree that making it general gambling would be good.