Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

everything about the revival was dumb and bad and boring.

Listen here, rear end in a top hat! I'll have you know...

MariusLecter posted:

Aside from The Weremonster, monster of the week.

Nevermind, you're cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

Conspiracy theories were fun in the 90s when I didn't associate them exclusively with far right morons.

:same:

I’ve said it before but if the history channel/some other dumb channel like that animated some old Art Bell call-ins I would be super there for that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Didn't Mulder tell him to gently caress off and that he is just spewing nonsense?

I think he said something like "The difference is that I want to believe, but I still need to see some evidence."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've literally never seen an episode of The X Files - have the monster-of-the-week episodes aged well enough that its worth going back and giving it a shot?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've literally never seen an episode of The X Files - have the monster-of-the-week episodes aged well enough that its worth going back and giving it a shot?

Yah and they're like 80% of the series.

Up until like season 5 or 6 anyway.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Try Squeeze, Humbug, The Host or Darkness Falls.
Those are the ones that fascinated me most as a kid and I think they hold up very well, but nostalgia may play a part so if you do watch any, I'd be interested in hearing a fresh perspective.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

They had a Tucker Carlson analog tell Mulder he is right and everything about the revival was dumb and bad and boring.

Aside from The Weremonster, monster of the week.
Truth.

Somewhat related, but the Weremonster (Rhys Darbies) now has a podcast, Aliens Like Us, on Spotify that's a tongue-in-cheek exploration of aliens and UFOs where he and two buddies just kinda chat about a different facet of the topic each time and interview more earnest believers in extraterrestrial visitors.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yea. There are some outright terrible ones though given the 24 episodes a season, but not as many as you would think. The chemistry and charm of mulder and scully goes a long way even in the bad ones. Hell even the conspiracy ones are entertaining until season 4 or so.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I will finish a rewatch of the X-Files. Last attempt I got as far as the first movie. Which was around the same time I lost interest when they first aired.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pocket Billiards posted:

I will finish a rewatch of the X-Files. Last attempt I got as far as the first movie. Which was around the same time I lost interest when they first aired.

Im about to start season 2 of my rewatch (took some time off for horror movies and great british baking show) I made it until mulder left and I went to college, so season 7 I think? maybe 8. The conspiracy was all off the rails by then, but apparently Dogget and Reyes have some good monster of the week episodes I've never seen. Looking back X-Files, Buffy, to a lesser extent 24, those serialized shows all completely crashed and burned by the end. Maybe that's why I was more kind to Lost's ending. It wasn't perfect, and the final season was messy, but compared to what had come before it was pretty great.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

Im about to start season 2 of my rewatch (took some time off for horror movies and great british baking show) I made it until mulder left and I went to college, so season 7 I think? maybe 8. The conspiracy was all off the rails by then, but apparently Dogget and Reyes have some good monster of the week episodes I've never seen. Looking back X-Files, Buffy, to a lesser extent 24, those serialized shows all completely crashed and burned by the end. Maybe that's why I was more kind to Lost's ending. It wasn't perfect, and the final season was messy, but compared to what had come before it was pretty great.

What didn't you like about the ending to Buffy? It finished up the last few seasons pretty well, in my opinion, didn't leave things unexplored or not figured out at all.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

What didn't you like about the ending to Buffy? It finished up the last few seasons pretty well, in my opinion, didn't leave things unexplored or not figured out at all.

Honestly, I haven't rewatched Buffy in ages, so I can't recall anything specific. I remember not loving the last two seasons, and all the slayers in waiting and first evil stuff. I remember being annoyed with how they treated spike, and his relationship with Buffy. Might not be as bad as I remember. I did attempt a rewatch a little while ago though and drat was Xander loving terrible. absolute garbage for sure. Only did the first season before bailing though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

Honestly, I haven't rewatched Buffy in ages, so I can't recall anything specific. I remember not loving the last two seasons, and all the slayers in waiting and first evil stuff. I remember being annoyed with how they treated spike, and his relationship with Buffy. Might not be as bad as I remember. I did attempt a rewatch a little while ago though and drat was Xander loving terrible. absolute garbage for sure. Only did the first season before bailing though.

oh yeah there's definitely some trash there, and tbh probably a lot of it (it's been awhile since my last rewatch), but I don't think the puzzle box went unsolved is all

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Arivia posted:

I think Buffy really nails the landing right at the end- the last few episodes hit all of the major beats they needed to and everything ended in a really good place as far as the show's themes and character growth except for Anya's super random death which made her and Xander's idiotic breakup even more idiotic in retrospect

The rest of season seven is a little overstuffed though- all the new mini-slayers made for too many goddamn characters. And in season 6 watching Buffy be actively, powerfully depressed and in an unhealthy, abusive relationship while Willow also goes through magic-drug addiction & the season's villains being a trio of uncool sexist nerds sure didn't make for fun TV.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Angel is extremely superior anyways!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Season 5 was the logical place to end Buffy.
6 had its moments. Once More with Feeling alone justifies its existence imo and having human baddies instead of trying to have a bigger threat than a literal god was a good call. Plus, it was ahead of its time for showing misogyny in nerd culture.

7 had a nebulous all powerful baddy with no clear goal or motive, there was nothing much left you could do with Buffy's character except make her more war-weary and it was a lot more heavily serialised than previous seasons. Only the first few episodes were somewhat self-contained. I found Anya's backstory episode quite fun.

Ambitious Spider posted:

I did attempt a rewatch a little while ago though and drat was Xander loving terrible. absolute garbage for sure. Only did the first season before bailing though.

2-4 are the best seasons imo, 1 was a little dull

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Season 5 was the logical place to end Buffy.
6 had its moments. Once More with Feeling alone justifies its existence imo and having human baddies instead of trying to have a bigger threat than a literal god was a good call. Plus, it was ahead of its time for showing misogyny in nerd culture.

7 had a nebulous all powerful baddy with no clear goal or motive, there was nothing much left you could do with Buffy's character except make her more war-weary and it was a lot more heavily serialised than previous seasons. Only the first few episodes were somewhat self-contained. I found Anya's backstory episode quite fun.

2-4 are the best seasons imo, 1 was a little dull

Agreed on all counts. I always thought Principal Wood's mom would have made a great villain for S7, if it'd turned out that Spike had turned her into a vampire. Then Principal Wood would have had to grapple with the struggles of having to fight his mom, Spike would have the guilt over having turned her into a vampire, and Buffy would face a vampire who has those same Slayer instincts.

But instead we got Everywhere Von Spookums Evil and Evil Sexist Preacher Man with a Horrifically Bad Southern Accent (Sorry Nathan Fillion, love ya bud but jesus christ the accent)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

oh yeah there's definitely some trash there, and tbh probably a lot of it (it's been awhile since my last rewatch), but I don't think the puzzle box went unsolved is all

Ah got it. Yea, that wasn't the problem. Same with 24 (Though they basically threw out the puzzle box deciding to solve it in the video game the evil guy behind everything in the first two seasons was some business man, and his ultimate goal was to build an earthquake machine to take over the world. Which to be honest would have made the show more fun and less dour., had a new puzzle box that had an even stupider solution the cabal pulling the strings of the president were...his father and brother, and maybe he was his nephews actual father? I dunno. That season was real dumb.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

You'll have to deal with some iffy costuming and special effects early on, but the writing is still pretty strong imo.

I didn't watch x-files until the late 2000s and really enjoyed it until the late seasons. Still haven't watched the new stuff, though.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
A bunch of years ago I made it up to partway through season 4 of X Files. I'm terrible at binge watching shows so that was as far as I made it, I got to a point where the greater conspiracy epsiodes were seeming to outnumber the fun/contained ones.

A year or two ago I tried to give it a go again, but this time I learned my lesson and created, because I'm a huge nerd that posts in PYF, a rubric for all the episodes based on whether they contained elements I liked and would be worth watching again if I ever do this a third time. I only made it to partway through season 2 this time because again I'm terrible at binge watching long running shows. I still have the rubric somewhere and hope to pick up again someday. It was weirdly kinda helpful to me to be able to break down the episodes and analyze why I liked them.

I probably ought to post the metrics at some point. Mileage varies on whether they matter so I wouldn't say it's like the be-all, end-all rating system for the show but it was fun for me to take on personally

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Agreed on all counts. I always thought Principal Wood's mom would have made a great villain for S7, if it'd turned out that Spike had turned her into a vampire. Then Principal Wood would have had to grapple with the struggles of having to fight his mom, Spike would have the guilt over having turned her into a vampire, and Buffy would face a vampire who has those same Slayer instincts.

But instead we got Everywhere Von Spookums Evil and Evil Sexist Preacher Man with a Horrifically Bad Southern Accent (Sorry Nathan Fillion, love ya bud but jesus christ the accent)

Yeah. Anya’s my favorite character so I was glad to get more of her but the planned Glory ending would have been a perfect wrap up for the show to that point. Whether it’s ending in 5 or 7 though “Not Fade Away” is superior. I still get chills thinking about Wesley and Fred’s last conversation.

On 24: slowbeef’s playthrough of the video game plus the pretty good episode on it convinced me to watch it a year or so ago. It was enjoyable but weird since that first season actually predates 9/11; one season was enough American HARD MAN MAKING HARD CHOICES for me.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was a kid when the X Files was first shown and it was just the coolest show I'd seen for years. But only the MOTW episodes. Kid me thought the overarching plot stuff was stupid and boring.
A couple of years ago I started watching the when thing again, not skipping any episodes, but I gave up after maybe 2, 3 of the non monster-y ones. Adult me had exactly the same opinion as kid me - stupid, boring alien crap.

Btw the absolute best episode is Bad Blood :colbert:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I rewatched it earlier this year when quarantine began since my roommate had never seen it and we got to the season where they started to phase out Mulder. I stopped watching there the first time I made it through the show and skipped to the last episode. As stupid as the overarching storyline got, my roommate and I agreed that Mulder and Scully were the thing that made the show so taking one of them away hurt the show. I've still never got around to watching the revival seasons.

At least I never felt like the show was sort of shambling waiting for sweet release like Supernatural. Good overarching storyline for the first five seasons but after that you could tell the writers were repeating themselves. Only got to season 10 of that before I threw in the towel. Wish they hadn't (spoilers for a season five in case someone hasn't seen it) had Lucifer kill some of the old gods so easily. A season or two of them trying to stop like Zeus or someone from trying to become the top God again could have been more fun than heaven/hell drama. Maybe they did do that though. If so I'd have to check it out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The x-files conspiracy plot episodes are good through maybe season 5 or so because of the character moments you can get in them. Usually there’s some good stuff like Sinner going ham on somebody or Mulder getting sad that his dad died or whatever. It’s not until things start getting really outlandish with aliens being a double fakeout or smoking man being Mulder’s father that they’re no longer interesting explorations of the characters and how they react to things.

The whole show works much better when the scope is smaller, like the first time Mulder finds someone claiming to be his sister, there’s a nice scene where he takes her to see their parents and it’s just characters talking about their feelings and relationships because Mulder’s parents are just two regular old people traumatized by their kid disappearing in the 70s. Later on that’s just not possible because the dad was the head of the conspiracy behind aliens and the mom was in on it and having an affair with smoking man, and it’s just too silly.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Used to call him Cancer Man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Never forget that Supernatural had a crossover with Scooby-Doo

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Usually there’s some good stuff like Sinner going ham on somebody

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is there anything with Jason Isaacs in where Jason Isaacs isn't the best thing in it?

(tentatively I want to say The OA Season 2, because of the sheer volume of batshit insanity it was throwing around)

I rewatched the Harry Potter films when they were free in October and Jason Isaacs is about the only thing that holds up as an adult. He's really fun as a fancy lad minor villain instead of his usual gruff guy roles.

e: oh and Alan Rickman of course, I'd watch a 30 minute cut of him just being mean to children.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Angel was good except all that stuff with Cordelia.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

lord funk posted:

Used to call him Cancer Man.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Push El Burrito posted:

Angel was good except all that stuff with Cordelia.

There was a lot of crap in Angel too, but I can recollect more fun things I enjoyed from it than I can from Buffy.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Speaking of monster-of-the-week, does Smallville hold up in any way? I never watched past the first season when it came out, but heard that they actually started world building in Season 2.

I'm still amazed at the idea that they decided to use the origin story of arguably the most well-known superhero as a cheap monster-of-the-week show. But that was at least 4 years before Batman Begins and 7 years from Iron Man, two movies which basically defined the modern take on superheroes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I find Smallville a hard rewatch knowing that it spawned a horrific cult.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Toshimo posted:

I find Smallville a hard rewatch knowing that it spawned a horrific cult.

Pardon?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NXIVM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Superboy’s friend Chloe is going to prison for the rest of her life because of her numerous acts of rape and torture.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I rewatched the Harry Potter films when they were free in October and Jason Isaacs is about the only thing that holds up as an adult. He's really fun as a fancy lad minor villain instead of his usual gruff guy roles.

e: oh and Alan Rickman of course, I'd watch a 30 minute cut of him just being mean to children.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Snape is the Wernher von Braun of potions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WELP.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Superboy’s friend Chloe is going to prison for the rest of her life because of her numerous acts of rape and torture.

i thought the only charges they ended up sticking to her were for racketeering, which depending on how extensive, usually isn't a life sentence offense.

ranierre is hosed tho, and good riddance.

edit: which is not to say that she wasn't responsible for rape and torture, just that she's only been charged with racketeering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

God Hole posted:

i thought the only charges they ended up sticking to her were for racketeering, which depending on how extensive, usually isn't a life sentence offense.

ranierre is hosed tho, and good riddance.

edit: which is not to say that she wasn't responsible for rape and torture, just that she's only been charged with racketeering

She was charged with all the sex stuff, too, but she pleaded down to only the racketeering stuff. Her wife, Nicki Clyne of BSG fame, also protested outside the jail for Raniere.

Additionally, Smallville star Kristin Kreuk was in the cult for 7 years and recruited Mack, but has since waged a solid campaign to get her involvement scrubbed as hard as possible.

Basically, it real bad, OP.