Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

Weasel. gently caress TJ Miller.

Underwater is pretty good, plus he has a really brutal death scene. It's great.

Arist posted:

They're, uh, moving ahead with filming on that Black Panther sequel pretty quickly:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1329920130130776064

I'm glad they're making Shuri more prominent but I'm still worried because there's no great options. Boseman was iconic but IMO it'd really suck if there's just no more of this great character for kids to look up to because he cast too great a shadow to be replaced.

Making Shuri Black Panther (or maybe even M'Baku) would make a lot of people happy, though. Maybe they can spend a movie with her and then recast later down the line, because it probably is still too soon to think about that.

I'm also worried in the sense that Coogler, if he's even still attached at this point, probably had to spend the last few months jettisoning everything he had planned for the sequel, but that's obviously less important.

e: beaten

Yea, they're kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't because there are a decent number of people who will only accept Shuri becoming Black Panther and anything less is literally the worst thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The character's too important to too many people not to recast.

If you want to hotshot Shuri, no problem. But you can't kill T'Challa off-screen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cast Sean Bean, kill him off five minutes in.

(Disclaimer: don't actually do this)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

The character's too important to too many people not to recast.

If you want to hotshot Shuri, no problem. But you can't kill T'Challa off-screen.

:hai:

Agreed. Even if you don't want to kill him and let him just hand the title/throne off, have the stones to recast and give T'Challa a proper send-off.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations.

The only thing that's safe to say is that they shouldn't go the Disney route of CGI-ing Boseman a la Leia or Tarking, even if it's just as a send off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations.

The only thing that's safe to say is that they shouldn't go the Disney route of CGI-ing Boseman a la Leia or Tarking, even if it's just as a send off.

I think they've announced they're not gonna do that, thank God.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Recasting T'challa to do a sendoff seems pretty gross to be honest. Either recast the actor or don't but don't hire someone to be a standin so you can kill off/write out the character. That is lovely to everyone involved.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

This has me thinking (and I guess side warning as this will go to some Star Wars and Marvel stuff too) but with these big tent pole movies that are supposed to launch a thousand sequels and whatnot is there any thought process into the long game as far as story is concerned.
BvS felt disconnected from Justice League where it could have more directly lead into it but it felt (and I am probably right about this) that they didn't even have a plot outline for Justice League when BvS came out which just seems like bad planning now.
Sequel Trilogy was absolutely a mishmash because their planning was "Let JJ 'mystery box' a bunch of poo poo, get 2nd director, get 3rd to fini".

No one stopped to think we should probably get a rough throughline for the characters and get their basic story done after JJ got his claws into it, and, well... yeah.

I mean it's absolutely bonkers to remember how exciting TFA felt and how much of a wet thud Skywalker was because JJ just ignored TLJ.

And part of it is, does it matter? They'll make 800million anyway. Why bother with all that work that can get leaked and ruin things.

BvS/JL actually do have some planning and poo poo. Aside from BvS spiraling out of the Metropolis Massacre, JL was supposed to build to Darkseid discovering that a crucial part of the Anti-Life equation was found in the Codex that Superman carries in his DNA from MoS. JL was supposed to play off this Wounded King thing where Batman, spurred by Superman's sacrifice, gathers everyone and eventually sacrifices himself in the final film having resurrected Clark, inspired unity in the rest of the team, etc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

BvS/JL actually do have some planning and poo poo. Aside from BvS spiraling out of the Metropolis Massacre, JL was supposed to build to Darkseid discovering that a crucial part of the Anti-Life equation was found in the Codex that Superman carries in his DNA from MoS. JL was supposed to play off this Wounded King thing where Batman, spurred by Superman's sacrifice, gathers everyone and eventually sacrifices himself in the final film having resurrected Clark, inspired unity in the rest of the team, etc

And what was the follow-up plan to this? Because obviously that would never stick.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just have a stunt guy with the mask on if a send off is all you're doing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aphrodite posted:

And what was the follow-up plan to this? Because obviously that would never stick.
So in the Snyder JL plan, The JL faces off against Steppenwulf and is overpowered at the last minute by a giant explosion that kills everyone. Flash does the 'run faster than ever' thing to shoot back in time and prevent the disaster, saving everyone and vanquishing Stepp.

Knowing that Darkseid is out there, JL2 picks up with Bats proposing a Unilateral Preemptive Strike against Darkseid, which proves a disaster. The League is stuck off world while Darkseid attacks earth.

They return to find a transformed Knightmare Earth. Billions are dead. Lois Lane among them, causing Superman to fall to Anti-Life. Darkseid extracts the Codex from his body, spreading Anti-Life across the cosmos.
Flash, Batman, and the remains of Cyborg travel back to JL-time to issue a warning about the failed attack, but Flash is caught between time and torn apart.

The past league remain on Earth, fending off Darkseid. Batman sacrifices himself to (protect Lois, I think) and (destroys Darkseid with a God Killer bullet?).

Batman is mourned as a hero.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's weird that for as crazy as all the is there's not a single original idea in it. It's just like they threw Injustice and Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis and a few other things in a blender.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The irony that Endgame and JL2+3 would have relied on Time Travel to fix everything is not lost on me.

"No but you see JL Time Travel is logically consistent whereas Endgame creates Existential Rape Hell"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Having to travel back in time twice to prevent two different disasters seems a pretty silly. It makes it seem like these people just cannot do their jobs right.

(Yes, that's the part I'm having problems with. :colbert:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Endgame time travel is bullshit. They literally lay out the rules, then ignore them 70 minutes later.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was kinda neat when Flash did that in the TV show, but I feel like it would be a hokey in a film. What are Diana and Aquaman doing?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

John David Washington was badass and had a great screen presence in Tenet, I could see Marvel asking him if he'd like to take on the mantle of the Black Panther.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
You could not write your own story. Where did that bring you?

Back to time travel.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If I had total control of the production I would probably try to get John Boyega.

e: Let me clarify -- I mean that Disney should crawl on their knees and grovel to him for a chance to save face.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 21, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get Michael B Jordan back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Having to travel back in time twice to prevent two different disasters seems a pretty silly. It makes it seem like these people just cannot do their jobs right.

That's how BTTF 2 works isn't it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The Endgame time travel is bullshit. They literally lay out the rules, then ignore them 70 minutes later.

How? It's DBZ rules and remains consistently that throughout. They're not even really time traveling they're universe jumping.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

How? It's DBZ rules and remains consistently that throughout. They're not even really time traveling they're universe jumping.

Everything is fine at the end until Cap time travels and then they decide gently caress the rules to give his little bench moment. It's canon that Cap, somehow, returned to the MCU timeline in the past and became Peggy's husband.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

John David Washington was badass and had a great screen presence in Tenet, I could see Marvel asking him if he'd like to take on the mantle of the Black Panther.

I would rather he get his own thing because anyone who tries to replace Boseman is just going to be in for a rough time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Everything is fine at the end until Cap time travels and then they decide gently caress the rules to give his little bench moment. It's canon that Cap, somehow, returned to the MCU timeline in the past and became Peggy's husband.

If it's not in a movie it's not canon. Doubly so when the writers and director's give contradictory answers when asked about it. So no. It doesn't break the rules in the movie itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The rules of Time Travel can and always should be "who the gently caress cares." If they establish rules and later break them in interest of a character moment then so be it. Time travel makes zero sense regardless of how much logic you try to use unless you evoke the idea of some omnipotent force trying to correct to a 'right' timeline or whatever.

As long as it works for the tone of the movie then that's fine. Trying to go "well THIS time travel is bad because heh they break the rules" ignores that pretty much every single time travel movie does that because time travel exists as a thematic element, not a realistic one. Even if you're going as in-depth need-a-flowchart as possible you're still going to want to put drama above realism which is why time travel doesn't leave you in the middle of space or cause surprising numbers of people to disappear or change entirely because your slight shift in reality caused their parents to miss meeting or whatever.

If time travel is used to an unsatisfying thematic end then it sucks no matter how logical it is, and if it's used well then it doesn't matter in the slightest despite the pure insanity it would take for it to remotely make sense that you slowly vanish in the order you were born for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The rules of Time Travel can and always should be "who the gently caress cares." If they establish rules and later break them in interest of a character moment then so be it. Time travel makes zero sense regardless of how much logic you try to use unless you evoke the idea of some omnipotent force trying to correct to a 'right' timeline or whatever.

As long as it works for the tone of the movie then that's fine. Trying to go "well THIS time travel is bad because heh they break the rules" ignores that pretty much every single time travel movie does that because time travel exists as a thematic element, not a realistic one. Even if you're going as in-depth need-a-flowchart as possible you're still going to want to put drama above realism which is why time travel doesn't leave you in the middle of space or cause surprising numbers of people to disappear or change entirely because your slight shift in reality caused their parents to miss meeting or whatever.

If time travel is used to an unsatisfying thematic end then it sucks no matter how logical it is, and if it's used well then it doesn't matter in the slightest despite the pure insanity it would take for it to remotely make sense that you slowly vanish in the order you were born for some reason.

This. If you want a super realistic movie about time travel you end up with Primer where you're spending more time looking at flow charts after the movie than giving a poo poo about the confusing mess of a movie in the first place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endgame isn't trying to be like a Steins;Gate situation where the rules of time travel get exhaustively covered and inconsistencies explained (though even in SG there's at least a few small funny details that get glossed over for the sake of the story). And even in the type of story where the rules are extremely important, they still only exist to justify the story, by which I mean the rules are only important to the extent that they create obstacles for the heroes to overcome. Cap coming back at the end of Endgame isn't really a problem because it doesn't directly break the story (if you can come up with any justification in your head that makes any sense whatsoever it's fine, that's what happened) and because the actual purpose is the character moment.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looper is the best way to do it

quote:

I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.
just outright dismissing it and discouraging people from thinking about it too hard in service of the story. If you're actually time travelling in real life then yes it's important to know the mechanics, but in a movie who cares, let's just watch the robot man punch the space tyrant.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Looper is actually a really great example because the "rules" are actively nonsense and the movie understands this. The point isn't the rules, it's the drama.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

At the same time, saying "these are the rules" and then immediately break them is pretty drat dumb. Either give yourself leeway or just don't blatantly break the clear rules you set out. Or better yet, don't bother with time travel. As Barry Allen can attest to, nothing good comes out of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

At the same time, saying "these are the rules" and then immediately break them is pretty drat dumb. Either give yourself leeway or just don't blatantly break the clear rules you set out. Or better yet, don't bother with time travel. As Barry Allen can attest to, nothing good comes out of it

I mean Endgame does that by making it clear that this is a bunch of people frantically trying to figure out how to even make it work and everything we hear is their best guesses. It also has godlike magical items that can do anything which are last seen in the hand of the person who breaks the rules and one of which is explicitly based around Time. Hell, Dr. Strange uses that exact same widget to see one successful outcome that explicitly involves using time/dimension travel to make it a success so who the hell knows.

Time Travel probably should be avoided but it is also a tremendously thematic and often relevant thing to include even in places where it doesn't necessarily hold together because the idea of "I can go back and correct a mistake" is so ingrained into the human psyche that if you gave any of us a time travel machine we'd probably go right ahead and use it to try to stop something terrible despite decades of poo poo driving it into our head that we don't have the ability or knowledge to actually understand the consequences of doing that.

But throwing away rules without caring that you're throwing away rules is entirely fine in themes of a story. Hell Terminator 2 flat-out openly defies the idea that time travel is predestined which is literally the big reveal of the first movie. Back to the Future's Time Travel rules amount to 'lol, whatever' and require you to accept the absurdly creepy idea that Marty McFly erased and replaced a version of himself from existence and Doc Brown lived a creepy false life where he pretended to befriend a completely different Marty McFly knowing that he'd be erased from existence when the Marty he liked came around or otherwise rendered nonexistent. Star Trek breaks its own time travel rules whenever the gently caress it feels like which is why you somehow have alternate universes time travel existing in the same series as "going to the past changes the future" time travel.

Besides we all know the only accurate depiction of time travel is Timecop with a close runner up being Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Maybe they'll pull the other Leia trick. After all, Boseman was in four movies as T'Challa, there might be enough footage to just build around unused shots of him with some creative ADR and writing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Maybe they'll pull the other Leia trick. After all, Boseman was in four movies as T'Challa, there might be enough footage to just build around unused shots of him with some creative ADR and writing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The reason Endgame's sucks is because time travel is the shittiest cop out of all cop outs. And they know it, so the movie firmly lays down the rules so that time travel doesn't just become the lazy solution to every future situation. They even have it explained by the dumbest guy in the room, so it seems like they really know their stuff. Then it breaks them anyway. You can't do the "don't loving worry about it" after you have a scene where you loving worry about it. That's just dumb.

It's fine. It doesn't ruin the movie. The implications of what Cap did are kind of creepy, but whatever. After 12 years of setup the solution is loving time travel though?

At least they didn't time travel twice in Avengers, I guess.

theironjef posted:

I think they've already said that won't happen.

I don't know if it was an actual official statement or anything but that came out not long after his death.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BrianWilly posted:

Funnily enough isn't that the original planned story for the Christopher Reeve's Superman movie?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You can't do the "don't loving worry about it" after you have a scene where you loving worry about it. That's just dumb.

Back to the Future literally has multiple scenes of people Worrying About It. It is quite literally a joke at the end where Doc has the bulletproof vest and reveals his solution to worries about loving with space-time was "Ah, gently caress it."

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Treehouse of Horror where Homer travels back in time because of his toaster is the best representative of time travel committed to (small) screen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Time travel can't exist because time doesn't exist it's just a limitation of how we view things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Question IRL posted:

Funnily enough isn't that the original planned story for the Christopher Reeve's Superman movie?

The original plan, since they were filming 1 & 2 simultaneously, was for Superman to catch up with both nukes in Superman 1, and throw them into space, where they'd detonate and release the Phantom Zone villains. Then in 2 he'd do the flying around Earth, turning back time, to prevent them from being unleashed.

When production started to fall behind, the producers made Donner focus solely on the first one, and he felt the new ending was more dramatic.