Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. BT was also part of 07th Expansion, iirc he managed the website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Squiddycat posted:

His best friend and inspiration for writing died, and he believes it probably negatively impacted his work after ep5

I think his friends name was BT?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. BT was also part of 07th Expansion, iirc he managed the website?

:smith:

That sucks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umineko ep 7 finished! ... need to read the tea party and ??? but first, impressions: :unsmith:

We learned a lot, and a lot of it was horrifying (Kinzo, gently caress you) but ultimately the existence of Lion - and then Will understanding everything - god, I cried. Again.

I'm kind of tempted to just stop there, at that happiest of endings, but... I need to finish it. I need to see this all to the end.

e: holy gently caress

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 14, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: holy gently caress

Yeah, you should have learned by now that the Tea Parties are often pretty essential for any perspective on the chapters. At least you can't stop on the "happiest of endings" now!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just finished Umineko, all of it. What a beautiful story. :unsmith:

The second half was the weaker one overall, ep 7 aside, but I'm...satisfied. Happy. Sad. Crying again. I'm so glad I stuck with it and read the whole thing.

My intention now is to take a break from visual novels to read some mystery novels instead - I'm trying the Viaduct Murders by Knox himself, and then maybe a Van Dine or go back to Carr....

Then I will probably try to finish Tokyo Babel and/or read Raging Loop or AI Somnium. I'm not sure yet. But the future is bright for my reading, and I'm thrilled to finish something long and excellent.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Higurashi NEW actually kind of a sequel to Higurashi? I’m on episode 2 and the intro seemed to imply that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes it very much is

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, wow, finished episode 2 and it kind of owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did Root Double just show up on the Switch coming soon page or am I dumb and didn't know about the port until now?

Definitely not mad I paid for the Vita release a week ago :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Blog sites reported on it coming to Switch on October 17th or thereabouts, so it's a decently recent announcement I guess.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Root Double is the good one, right?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

numerrik posted:

Root Double is the good one, right?

Yes

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Even better news about Root Double: at no point will it explain Schrodinger's Cat to you

https://twitter.com/NotThisCatAgain/status/1262480981157609475

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You need a pretty high tolerance for lectures about made-up science and flashbacks but I really liked Root Double. One of my favourite high concept twists too.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I got exactly halfway through Root Double yesterday, and I'm... kinda interested to see where it's going, I guess, it's fine!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

woodenchicken posted:

I got exactly halfway through Root Double yesterday, and I'm... kinda interested to see where it's going, I guess, it's fine!

Out of curiosity, which half?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I really liked the first part of Root Double but couldn't make it through Natsuhiko's story. The Watase half is pretty great through, reminded me a lot of Ever17 and all that jazz.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Out of curiosity, which half?
Finished After, then Before... pretty sure there are 2 or 3 more paths, and it's done laying the groundwork, so poo poo's about to get real!

I thought route A was a bit eh, which is a surprising thing to say about what is basically anime Chernobyl. But you're missing a lot of context for what is happening, and that doesn't let you get too engaged. Route B, on the other hand, gives you a whole lot to chew on, and I think they should have just made it the first path you read (but without the spoilerbombs that affect route A)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You need a pretty high tolerance for lectures about made-up science and flashbacks but I really liked Root Double. One of my favourite high concept twists too.

*has played 999* sold

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Lee posted:

Even better news about Root Double: at no point will it explain Schrodinger's Cat to you

https://twitter.com/NotThisCatAgain/status/1262480981157609475

Chaos Child which I have not finished got points for *opening* with Schrodinger's Cat to have the MC "well actually" about how it was really a reducto ad absurdum argument *against* that interpretation :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Root Double is good but it is -very- long and the best twists happen in the first route imo

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I think it's interesting to have a different view on things depending on whether you did Before or After first.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*has played 999* sold
This one's by the other guy who wrote Ever17!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Speaking of which, what is the best way to read Ever17 these days? As far as I can tell the only English release is still the physical one from 2005, and from what I recall that one has several translation issues. Is there a good fanpatch or something?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The translation issues aren't a big deal. It's only a true problem in one specific spot, and you'll probably not even notice

That being said, I do believe there is indeed a fan patch that cleans up that and a bunch of other typos, but I have no idea where it is, sorry.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah there's a patch, "Himmel Edition": https://old.reddit.com/r/InfinitySeries/comments/9v6zt6/ever17_himmel_edition_released/

There is one problem though

quote:

Chicken sandwiches -> Fried Tuna Sandwiches

Heresy. There's also a patch for the PSP version that just imports the Hirameki translation, if you wanna play it in bed.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Himmel Edition was the one I played recently too. By the way, what's the deal with the Chicken sandwiches/Fried Tuna Sandwiches thing? Was it a weird change or an actual translation?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

In the Hirameki translation they ate nothing but chicken sandwiches, despite liberating a big frozen tuna.

But it was obviously 'meant' to be tuna sandwiches and I have no idea why they changed it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

In the Hirameki translation they ate nothing but chicken sandwiches, despite liberating a big frozen tuna.

But it was obviously 'meant' to be tuna sandwiches and I have no idea why they changed it.

The sandwiches are originally "Tatsuta Sandwiches". Tatsuta is a Japanese seasoning/frying method that in %90 of the cases is used for chicken, but can be found using other meat/fish ingredients. The translators were probably familiar with "tatsuta-age" without qualifiers referring to fried chicken and weren't aware it was a generic term for the cooking method.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

orenronen posted:

The sandwiches are originally "Tatsuta Sandwiches". Tatsuta is a Japanese seasoning/frying method that in %90 of the cases is used for chicken, but can be found using other meat/fish ingredients. The translators were probably familiar with "tatsuta-age" without qualifiers referring to fried chicken and weren't aware it was a generic term for the cooking method.

Ah, that would explain it then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whoa, Robotics;Notes is out! Not paying attention to gaming media pays off once again.

Been a while since these posts, but some things regarding the motive in Umineko (that aren't spoilers if you've completely finished Episode 7): Battler coming isn't really the cause so much as the "straw the broke the camel's back," so to speak. Yasu was already under immense stress and despair (despair that was in a way made worse by the temptation of an unlikely happiness).

Regarding the whole "body" thing, it is very strongly implied that Yasu was "assigned male at birth" (and then raised as a girl after surgery by Nanjo) so the issue isn't just that she can't have children, but that her body isn't developing like all the other girls for reasons she doesn't understand (at least until later). Kanon is the result of an attempt to explore living as a boy as a result of this. Lion sort of represents the fact that, in a world without the injury, she likely would have ended up not really conforming to either major gender role.

This means that the George situation is actually a pretty bad one for her. It's 80's Japan (or most of the present world honestly, but especially then), and there's a very good chance that George would not react well to things (this is why the scene at the beginning of Episode 2 where it's discussed whether they'll be in the same hotel room is low-key very dramatic). So not only is pursuing any sort of romance (with George, Jessica, or Battler) reasonably a source of immense stress/fear, but she also finds out that they're all her blood relatives (and being a product of the incestuous rape of her mother herself just makes things worse). And another reason why she cares so much about this is that her life is generally immensely depressing and lonely and she doesn't really have any friends other than the semi-parental figures of Kumasawa/Genji and Maria. With the solving of the epitaph, she essentially discovers that her most meaningful social connections are likely doomed, and possibly in a way that results in the people in question very strongly rejecting her. She's basically trapped between a rock and a hard place, and is suddenly granted immense power in the form of the gold/bomb.

The general way Yasu (and other characters like Maria, who is a sort of analogous character meant to give hints about Beatrice's nature) copes with things is generally very accurate. I don't have the same type of gender/body/relationship issues Yasu has, but I've dealt with opiate addiction for the last 11-12 years and the whole "reflexively retreating to fantasy/daydreaming constantly in response to hopelessness while not actually being deluded and understanding everything is in your imagination" thing is portrayed in a way that is accurate to an almost unsettling degree.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that she never actually (directly) killed anyone. She had a plan to do so and had written stories of doing so, but in the end Kyrie/Rudolph did the murders before she even had a chance to actually do anything. It's basically up to the reader to guess as to whether or not she would have actually gone through with it had they not done it in her stead. My personal belief is that she could have gone through with allowing the bomb to go off after setting it (which was an unusually easy and "hands-off" way to instantly kill a ton of people), but likely wouldn't have been able to deal with the reality of shooting people.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Squiddycat posted:

The translation issues aren't a big deal. It's only a true problem in one specific spot, and you'll probably not even notice

That being said, I do believe there is indeed a fan patch that cleans up that and a bunch of other typos, but I have no idea where it is, sorry.

Counterpoint: You will definitely notice it, because it's fuckin' bizarre.

Also another character is eating a whole head of lettuce with ketchup on it in that scene, I think? Which goes barely remarked upon?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Somehow I forgot about Naturally, I knows the hacker

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I’ve never read Ever17 but I think I know parts of the general twist/ending and in Root Double some of the extremely unnatural writing in the first three minutes makes me pretty sure it’s the same general idea.. I’m waiting for alcohol-induced early dementia to set in before I really sit down to it and give it a shot.

I’m pretty sure I actually was supposed to get a vita copy somehow from the Kickstarter but not sure how, I have it on Steam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Squiddycat posted:

Somehow I forgot about Naturally, I knows the hacker

I'm You!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

opened this fuckin thread up so I could post about AI The Somnium Files and whoa not the right place i guess

Ytalya vouch for me

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/novectacle_en/status/1330551482836402176?s=21

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Shear Modulus posted:

opened this fuckin thread up so I could post about AI The Somnium Files and whoa not the right place i guess

:confused:

This is the right thread for posting about AI, there was a dedicated thread when it first released but no ones posted in it for over a year. Just make sure to mention how far you are in the game so people don't spoil you

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yay! I've liked playing House in Fata Morgana but if there's a deluxe edition on switch, I'm gonna switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Shear Modulus posted:

Ytalya vouch for me

What exactly are you implying? This is a strange post!