Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

just lol if you don't have one of these for grease fires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ror posted:

just lol if you don't have one of these for grease fires

that thing is like the most command and conquer looking piece of equipment ever.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Uncle Enzo posted:

Maybe you should consider that you don't know what you're talking about, and should stop giving actively dangerous advice?

I thought giving actively dangerous advice was a proud SA tradition?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

You fight this fire with a pan lid, metal trashcan lid, the kid's Red Flyer etc. or a small B rated extinguisher. Talking about fogger nozzles looking at this fire is firefighter wank.

If we're against giving out actively dangerous advice then you fight this fire by immediately leaving the area and calling the fire brigade.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Aramoro posted:

If we're against giving out actively dangerous advice then you fight this fire by immediately leaving the area and calling the fire brigade.

Hopefully you don't get the Lower Tidmarsh Volunteer Fire Brigade.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aramoro posted:

That's actually a good point, never fight a fire you are scared of. You're allowed to be scared of any fire you want, no one should judge.

If you are comfortable fighting fires, always remember:
Never fight a fire without clear egress
Never fight fire you can't approach because of heat or smoke
Understand the rating of the size of your extinguishers and the size of fire they are expected to put out. Never fight a fire you can't put out because this is valuable time your egress might be disappearing or that you could spend getting someone who has enough tools to definitely put it out.
There's no good reason you can't just leave and get a pro.
Pull Aim Squeeze Sweep. Aim at the heat source, not the flames. If you can't aim at the heat source because you're not sure where its at or you can't get close enough for heat or smoke nows a good time to remind yourself of the points above and gtfo

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Everything about the ocean is deadly in Iceland.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nocheez posted:

I was on a run when I was younger and much faster and I saw some geese maybe 25 feet away from the running path. One of those assholes ran out from his protective bushes just to make sure I knew he was an rear end in a top hat. I narrowly missed getting bit as I jumped through another set of bushes to escape.

gently caress canada geese.

I hate those fuckers too. Perhaps you'll like this sequence of photos that I posted quite a while ago in this very thread.

wesleywillis posted:

I was going to post this in the Cursed images thread, but then I was kinda like "gently caress geese I hate them fuckers". In other words, I don't find this to be cursed.

Thats Niagara Falls

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zopotantor posted:

I thought giving actively dangerous advice was a proud SA tradition?
The best way to put out a grease fire if you don't have a fire extinguisher handy is to run up and pee on it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wesleywillis posted:

I hate those fuckers too. Perhaps you'll like this sequence of photos that I posted quite a while ago in this very thread.

drat that’s harsh. A lake park near me has a ton of the bastards and they have people addling the eggs in the spring to try to cut down on the numbers but there are still a lot.

Especially dangerous because there are a couple of blind corners where you can walk right into a gang of them if you are unsuspecting!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wtf are people doing to get in to fights with geese. i bike along a river all the time with tons of geese and they're fine? are you guys kicking them or something

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

wtf are people doing to get in to fights with geese. i bike along a river all the time with tons of geese and they're fine? are you guys kicking them or something

I don't understand this either. Both places I've lived have had tons of geese I've encountered and the most aggressive thing I've ever gotten was a hiss.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

the problem seems to happen when the geese decide to build nests right near bike/walking paths, so you must be lucky enough that your path isn't sufficiently close to their nests to set them off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah they have an arbitrary distance that will set them off and they will chase you. It hasn’t happened to me but it’s pretty common around here. You do not need to try to provoke them, they are miserable fuckers. They even get into gang wars with groups of geese attacking other groups and it is brutal, that I have seen and it was intense!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

A classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMdhAFPWzFw

FYI this is how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0bDZmNsW8

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

That's actually a good point, never fight a fire you are scared of. You're allowed to be scared of any fire you want, no one should judge.

If you are comfortable fighting fires, always remember:
Never fight a fire without clear egress
Never fight fire you can't approach because of heat or smoke
Understand the rating of the size of your extinguishers and the size of fire they are expected to put out. Never fight a fire you can't put out because this is valuable time your egress might be disappearing or that you could spend getting someone who has enough tools to definitely put it out.
There's no good reason you can't just leave and get a pro.
Pull Aim Squeeze Sweep. Aim at the heat source, not the flames. If you can't aim at the heat source because you're not sure where its at or you can't get close enough for heat or smoke nows a good time to remind yourself of the points above and gtfo

At work we have to do mandatory fire extinguisher training every couple of years. The bulk of the course is drumming in to your head to get away and call the fire brigade. Only attempt to fight the fire if you need to to either get out or assist someone else getting out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Varkk posted:

At work we have to do mandatory fire extinguisher training every couple of years. The bulk of the course is drumming in to your head to get away and call the fire brigade. Only attempt to fight the fire if you need to to either get out or assist someone else getting out.

When I was getting ready to join the air force, some old guy was telling me a story from his time in. He was the fire monitor in basic training and was told that, if there was a fire, the water extinguishers they had would be useless and that he should just open the valve, roll them down the bay and just leave.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Azathoth posted:

the problem seems to happen when the geese decide to build nests right near bike/walking paths, so you must be lucky enough that your path isn't sufficiently close to their nests to set them off

are they not bothered when their chicks hatch? cause they're always waddling across the path with tons of tiny babies in spring and they don't seem to care. maybe the ones along the river just get fed so much they like people.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/OsVkGKg.mp4

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Humans are pretty cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like the plastic roll caber toss but what's the guy hitting a fire with a mallet trying to do?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

I like the plastic roll caber toss but what's the guy hitting a fire with a mallet trying to do?

It looks like a splash so it might be a ladle of water

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Everything about the ocean is deadly in Iceland.

Chinese take-away.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

didn't see this posted in here yet:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Homie, you seem to know a lot about firefighting, but if you hit hardened steel with hardened steel, it absolutely loving will send shards flying. I have picked them out of my neck. The "absolute hardest alloys" you reference are "anything other than very mild, non heat treated, and stainless steel".

Those firefighters were using tools expressly engineered to be used that way, from alloy selection and heat treating to surface finish. If you (say) hit the face of a hammer with another hammer, you're going to send shards in a bunch of interesting directions. Maybe your only experience is using tools explicitly designed to strike/be struck and properly maintained, but please don't tell people this won't happen. You are wrong.

E: now that I think about it, your post boiled down to: "you can totally put out a grease fire with water, just use the fogger setting" and "you can totally strike steel with steel, shattering is an urban myth". Maybe you should consider that you don't know what you're talking about, and should stop giving actively dangerous advice?

It should be pretty easy to find a video that demonstrates this someone striking a steel tool with a hammer and chips flying out then shouldn't it? Because I can't find anything. I've been using hand tools nearly my entire life, and the only time I've seen metal chips fly off is improperly striking chromed tools.

zedprime posted:

You fight this fire with a pan lid, metal trashcan lid, the kid's Red Flyer etc. or a small B rated extinguisher. Talking about fogger nozzles looking at this fire is firefighter wank.

I was just pointing out that you can use water to fight a grease fire, if you're properly equipped.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

This is unironically how people get sucked out to sea and die.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

zedprime posted:

At that point in the video, ofc on the extinguisher, should have this on hand anyway for the whole event.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Varkk posted:

If you need to fight a fire to egress there have been so many institutional fuckups you should become John Wick fireman version where you hunt down every fire marshal and middle manager who put you in a situation you couldn't leave a fire.

But if you're taking the don't fight fires approach I'm having trouble thinking of situations where you're not also going to always die if you are a never-fire-fighter and you try fighting a fire between you and an egress path. You effort is better spent on creative egressing or trying to shelter in place like trying to barricade in an exterior room with piss soaked clothes as a door stop. That's why hotel rooms have those shelter in place instructions instead of lining the walls with extinguishers.

You should never have to fight fires if its not your job. That's a great benefit of living in society. But fires are also a social problem so the more people equipped to handle small manageable fires is good for society too. I believe everyone should have and know how to use a common cabinet-meant kitchen extinguisher. If you're reading the Something Awful safety thread and have half an interest in making the world slightly safer for your knowledge, you should take one of those day long fire fighting for beginners safety courses where they take you out to a field to recognize different fire sizes, what rating extinguisher can manage them, then let you go wild with the common AB, ABC, and water extinguishers.

Elviscat posted:

It should be pretty easy to find a video that demonstrates this someone striking a steel tool with a hammer and chips flying out then shouldn't it? Because I can't find anything. I've been using hand tools nearly my entire life, and the only time I've seen metal chips fly off is improperly striking chromed tools.
Steel tools are banned for hot work for sparking i.e. physically losing metal. That's just wrenching and screwing even, striking is a whole other level of guarenteed. Well machined tools will spark less obviously but its simple material science that metal tools will attrite and send bits of metal in random directions.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

zedprime posted:

Steel tools are banned for hot work for sparking i.e. physically losing metal. That's just wrenching and screwing even, striking is a whole other level of guarenteed. Well machined tools will spark less obviously but its simple material science that metal tools will attrite and send bits of metal in random directions.

Eh, that's true enough if you define it to that level.

E:

zedprime posted:

The fire was a small smoldering puddle by the time the hose came out. A fogger nozzle would soak that room top to bottom near instantly instead of pushing the smoldering, nearly out grease fire into the flammable shelves. That's a garden hose simulating why you don't put out even smoldering grease fires with a garden hose.

I thought I missed this because I watched the video on my phone, but I didn't, that's clearly a 1 ½" hose with a firefighting nozzle on it, being operated by a firefighter (the first frame of the video has the guy in turn-out gear) they don't use any of the other methods of extinguishing the fire sitting around because they're firefighters putting on a demonstration about fryer safety.

And that fire was put out with that hose, a fryer full of oil produces a tremendous amount of heat and fire, here's video of a fryer on fire that's not being combated, notice that it goes on for several minutes.

https://youtu.be/pb_qExtN084

Video is good thread content too, hopefully it somewhat makes up for my shitposting.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 21, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/e8rLE2r.mp4

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

What were they hoping would happen here?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Elviscat posted:

I have definitely sent steel chips flying out of chisels hitting them with hammers. I do a lot of hitting metal poo poo with hammers and it happens often enough that whenever you use a hammer for anything you should be using eye protection. This happens all the time if you chisel through a weld.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 21, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well What Now posted:

What were they hoping would happen here?

The waves were probably just quietly lapping down lower on the beach then they got surprised by a rogue monster.

It isn’t that infrequent of an occurrence but if they don’t know about it they probably wouldn’t be on guard.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Only noticed at the end, after he'd won, that he only had one arm.

Well, I guess he didn't win, but he was drat close.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 21, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elviscat posted:

https://eyerounds.org/cases/132-intraocular-foreign-body.htm

quote:

A 36-year-old male presented with right eye pain immediately after he had been pounding a metal object with a metal chisel. He was not wearing safety glasses and felt something strike his right eye. This was followed by tearing and blurred vision. He continued working for a few hours, but when the vision and tearing did not improve he went to a local emergency room. He was diagnosed with a corneal abrasion and sent home on topical antibiotics. An appointment with a local ophthalmologist was made for the following morning where his vision was found to be hand motions, a traumatic cataract had developed, and there was suspicion of an intraocular foreign body (IOFB). He was then referred emergently to the University of Iowa Ophthalmology On Call Service...

The patient was diagnosed with a corneal laceration, traumatic cataract, and a metallic IOFB. He was brought to the operating room urgently for corneal laceration repair, pars plana vitrectomy, lensectomy, and removal of the metallic IOFB. Prior to surgical repair, the patient received one dose of intravenous antibiotics (cefazolin 1000 mg and vancomycin 1250 mg) and had his tetanus shot updated.

https://eyewiki.aao.org/Intraocular_Foreign_Bodies_(IOFB)

quote:

Intraocular foreign bodies are seen in 17%-40% of penetrating ocular injuries and represents 3% of all emergency room visits in the United States. Risk factors including metal-on-metal tasks, lack of eye protection, or male gender.

FWIW, I grew up in a house heated by wood stoves, and summers were long hot months of splitting wood. Smacking a splitting wedge with a sledge definitely yielded more than a few sparks.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 22, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
OSHA: Risk factors including male gender

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

zedprime posted:

OSHA: Risk factors including male gender

If we're going to be realistic, we should go with OSHA: Death risk factors include male gender and alcohol

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

An appointment with a local ophthalmologist was made for the following morning where his vision was found to be hand motions

I thought this had to be some kind of bizarre typo, but its apparently real medical lingo for "patient can only barely see a whole waving hand"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UTMW-p1h1A

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
(Maybe this isn't strictly OSHA, but it's machinery and it's dangerous, sooo)

Move over :killdozer:

This is an armored mining truck, repurposed to be a vehicle-borne IED hauling an 8 ton explosive payload.

More here:
https://hugokaaman.com/2019/03/25/mining-haul-trucks-the-largest-svbieds-in-the-world/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zCmi3Y1.gifv