Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

just read the book bro

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lt. Danger posted:

just read the book bro

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

my admittedly non-exhaustive experience has been that whenever someone says "sometimes I just want to read something happy and light" they mean "I always just want to read something happy and light"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Junpei posted:

people there's a reason why fanfiction websites invented quick and easy tags for things like fluff, angst, pining, found family, certain pairings, etc. so that people can easily find what they're looking for

Generally when 90% of the fanbase just wants to make sure they know who is loving who to what explicit degree in what they are reading tags are the most effective way to attract and retain your omega mpreg fanbase

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ok how many tags do you have on these lovely screenshots and how many screenshots do you have

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Do you have thoughts or just response images from tumblr?

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020

Mantis42 posted:

they fetishize being weak

I'm rating The Holy Bible a 1 :nono:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Time to check the cspam thoughts thread

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I actually don't have any saved, I just think 'oh hey, this one I remember is relevant' and then I quickly look for it via google

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Time to check the cspam thoughts thread

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This is an incredibly stupid derail. If someone is so mentally fraught that they might be triggered by a "happy" or "sad" ending in a book, I think it's up to them to do some research ahead of time to determine whether a loving book will lay them out for a few days

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Instead of reading fiction how about y'all try some theory

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the other funny thing that stuck out to me is how they wanted to overcomplicate it with some sort of system. always with the systems

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

i saw kill bill in theaters and some family brought multiple kids, that looked under ten years old, with them

same but sin city

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

i will not waste time on fiction unless it matches my 10 highly specific content filters, please go be problematic elsewhere with your old white men

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

imagine thinking the plot is "what a book is about" lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Junpei posted:

I actually don't have any saved, I just think 'oh hey, this one I remember is relevant' and then I quickly look for it via google

prudes and reactionaries: just read a book!!!1!1

me: [Strolling the gardens of my mind palace, I halt before a golden persimmon tree, which, creaking, genuflects so that I might pluck the perfect tumblr screenshot from its lowest bough.]

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1330139233470844928

holy poo poo

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

amazing

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Lmao if they put glurm's warnings on the cover of those books they would keep that poo poo behind the counter

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Warning: eunuch fluffer, pirates gang raping kids, beastiality, noncon nipple removal

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Minion of Freya posted:

Warning: eunuch fluffer, pirates gang raping kids, beastiality, noncon nipple removal

The American Tolkien

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
we’ve already got the tvtropesification of media, god help us when the fanfictionification of media arrives

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

exmarx posted:

imagine thinking the plot is "what a book is about" lol

A basic synopsis can be helpful just for ruling books out because they can reveal telltale signs of a bullshit book. Set in New York, main character just got divorced, main character has to move back to their home town, if the book was written recently but is set in the 80s or 90s, etc. You see any of those and it's like 95% chance you can safely give the book a pass.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

A basic synopsis can be helpful just for ruling books out because they can reveal telltale signs of a bullshit book. Set in New York, main character just got divorced, main character has to move back to their home town, if the book was written recently but is set in the 80s or 90s, etc. You see any of those and it's like 95% chance you can safely give the book a pass.

The only dilemma I face any more is whether I should read the utter trash that are Battletech novels or Warhammer novels. I am free.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Junpei posted:

5: Everyone dies, everything was for naught
4: A lot of bad things happened but there's at least a hope for a future (ala Romeo and Juliet: Yes the main characters died but the feud is over)
3. Everything resolves mostly fine but there's a bittersweet tinge (did not get the girl, etc.)
2. Main plot resolved nice and tidily, but room for a sequel (a side villain surviving and wanting revenge, 'that was just the start of the attacks', etc.)
1. "And they all lived happily ever after".

The Road ends up being a 4 which is why everyone should rip out the last couple pages before reading it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Snake Dance posted:

The only dilemma I face any more is whether I should read the utter trash that are Battletech novels or Warhammer novels. I am free.

i'm sorry rereg but your punishment is magic the gathering novels

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snake Dance posted:

I've never read any Battletech novels, are they any good?

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I've never read any Battletech novels, are they any good?

They're really bad and apparently one of the main authors is a big Confederate apologist. So, I mean, kinda what you expect from nerd fiction.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snake Dance posted:

They're really bad and apparently one of the main authors is a big Confederate apologist. So, I mean, kinda what you expect from nerd fiction.

That's no excuse, there are good Warhammer novels.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I ain't reading Kapital 2 and you can't make me.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The novel "MTG: Arena" was an incredible thrill ride, and much more exciting than rotating cards horizontally followed by discarding them into your graveyard.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dr. Killjoy posted:

we’ve already got the tvtropesification of media, god help us when the fanfictionification of media arrives

You say that like a ton of authors didn't start out in fan fiction, let alone created their "original" fiction by filing the serial numbers off their fics. It's too late to close the barn door, the horses are already out signing 3-book deals.

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020

Gripweed posted:

A COLLEGE PROFESSOR MEETS A CHARMING YOUNG TEACHER'S ASSISTANT IN THIS PICARESQUE DRY SATIRICAL ROMP

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The world before copyright will be the same as the world after.

A thousand stories about Loki getting beaten and/or hosed.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gripweed posted:

That's no excuse, there are good Warhammer novels.

the only warhammer universe i recognize is fantasy

fuuuuck 40k

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll defend the Jeff Grub M:tG novels, especially The Brother's War, until I die.

The rest can burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
e: nvm

Eugene V. Dubstep has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Nov 22, 2020