Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

love that this is getting into dwarf fortress-level patch note territory:

quote:

Fixed a bug that caused dead heroes to participate in kingdom decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there an easier/better way to get people to join your new kingdom early on? Not having access to vassals makes building an army and defending your lands a bit rough and nobody really wants to join. The text for the Dragon Banner quest makes it seem like at least a few people will follow you based on having the banner but for the most part it takes loving ages to come close to actual kingdom management.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Muscle Tracer posted:

love that this is getting into dwarf fortress-level patch note territory:

That was better when I read it as "dead horses."

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
That is a hefty patch... Gotta try this out when I get home.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Coward posted:

That was better when I read it as "dead horses."

lol I thought it said that too until I read your post

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, might be about time to give this another go.

KakerMix posted:

lol I thought it said that too until I read your post

:same:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mount and blade/crusader kings crossover

Ravenfood posted:

Is there an easier/better way to get people to join your new kingdom early on? Not having access to vassals makes building an army and defending your lands a bit rough and nobody really wants to join. The text for the Dragon Banner quest makes it seem like at least a few people will follow you based on having the banner but for the most part it takes loving ages to come close to actual kingdom management.

The easiest way to get warm bodies to join you is to put companions in charge of parties

I think the natural way to get other clans to join your fresh kingdom is to spend a while being a vassal for another kingdom and become friends with nobles by helping your kingdom's nobles in battles and voting with them, and also releasing enemy nobles you capture in battle. If you have a relationship of like 30 or 50 or something with a clan then after you pass the persuasion check to get them to defect their kingdom they'll do it for free

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 20, 2020

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone know if children still are broken and clones of their parents? Decided i want to wait to play this until the dynasty aspects sorta work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh gently caress disciplinarian is gone.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
lol that they couldn't find a way to balance braced spears so they just took them away from troops

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Oh gently caress disciplinarian is gone.

Where did you see this at?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Flavius Aetass posted:

lol that they couldn't find a way to balance braced spears so they just took them away from troops

I can see how a bunch of peasants with spears stopping a heavy cav charge could be dumb.

What they should do is disable the brace command for lower tier troops so that only the veteran soldiers can do it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
that's a much better idea. trained pikemen could absolutely stop a cavalry charge.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

Where did you see this at?

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/changes-in-leadership-perks-on-the-1-5-5-beta-branch.434870/

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Midgetskydiver posted:

I can see how a bunch of peasants with spears stopping a heavy cav charge could be dumb.

What they should do is disable the brace command for lower tier troops so that only the veteran soldiers can do it.

Flavius Aetass posted:

that's a much better idea. trained pikemen could absolutely stop a cavalry charge.

It sounds like this is exactly what they did?

quote:

Basic units will no longer use polearm type of weapons as they were getting too good at stopping cavalry charges.

edit: not exactly upon rereading but a good enough fix I would say

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wow, that sucks, it was a perk I really enjoyed. Keeping a good army from turning into trash units late game was way more entertaining with the disciplinarian perk. It'd be nice to see if the thread gets a response from the devs on why they made the change.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

Wow, that sucks, it was a perk I really enjoyed. Keeping a good army from turning into trash units late game was way more entertaining with the disciplinarian perk. It'd be nice to see if the thread gets a response from the devs on why they made the change.

In general, they've really weirdly leaned into long, long grinds. Trading fiefs got moved to a Trade 300 perk instead of a 225, for instance. And while they did change a bunch of roguery perks to make it easier to recruit bandit troops, it seems like they actually want you to use bandit troops as bandit troops rather than just make them nobles (which was admittedly weird). I wouldn't mind if they just removed the ability to upgrade bandits to nobles, gave bandits a t4/t5 equivalent, and made another way to generate noble troops at least mid-game. Maybe from a keep you can recruit a moderate amount at once (10?) for a large cost of nobles on a long-ish cooldown, because right now its kind of weird that nobles seemingly only come from villages and not towns or castles. Call it a household guard. Maybe make it part of the city and castle upgrade system if you want to gate it a bit for whatever reason.

This might make AI lords be a little bit less likely to have armies of all recruits after awhile, which would also be nice. But yeah, for some reason Taleworlds seem like they want to just...make you run around to all of your fiefs all of the time and play for long enough that you end up dying and taking over as one of your heirs so that you're playing some kind of multigenerational first person Paradox game or some poo poo, but I definitely don't want/have time for that kind of ridiculous grind.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Midgetskydiver posted:

I mean I hope that is what their planning to do with that feature, It's a good concept.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

In general, they've really weirdly leaned into long, long grinds. Trading fiefs got moved to a Trade 300 perk instead of a 225, for instance. And while they did change a bunch of roguery perks to make it easier to recruit bandit troops, it seems like they actually want you to use bandit troops as bandit troops rather than just make them nobles (which was admittedly weird). I wouldn't mind if they just removed the ability to upgrade bandits to nobles, gave bandits a t4/t5 equivalent, and made another way to generate noble troops at least mid-game. Maybe from a keep you can recruit a moderate amount at once (10?) for a large cost of nobles on a long-ish cooldown, because right now its kind of weird that nobles seemingly only come from villages and not towns or castles. Call it a household guard. Maybe make it part of the city and castle upgrade system if you want to gate it a bit for whatever reason.

This might make AI lords be a little bit less likely to have armies of all recruits after awhile, which would also be nice. But yeah, for some reason Taleworlds seem like they want to just...make you run around to all of your fiefs all of the time and play for long enough that you end up dying and taking over as one of your heirs so that you're playing some kind of multigenerational first person Paradox game or some poo poo, but I definitely don't want/have time for that kind of ridiculous grind.

I get that the bandit > noble troop could be too much, but they could have just changed it to upgrade bandits into the noble troop trees at a lower level. It didn't have to go straight from forester to fian, it could have been a side upgrade into hero.

edit: it'll be interesting to see what modders can do, I'd expect a bit of demand for reducing the grind. I also do not have time for all that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

edit: it'll be interesting to see what modders can do, I'd expect a bit of demand for reducing the grind. I also do not have time for all that.
Yeah, I see why they're toning down the bandit upgrade route, but think they should add something back to mitigate it.

As for grind, I used an xpmod that lets you set xp multipliers by a lot of different factors like individual skills, by attribute, or to every skill, as well as choosing whether or not they affect NPCs, party only NPCs, or all characters. 2x physical attribute xp gain and 4-6x xp gain for the non-physical skills worked enough for me.

Downside is that it crashes in tournaments a lot for some reason, seemingly related to NPCs gaining skills. I need to play with my settings though and see if I can fix it.

E: vvvvvv yeah definitely, but it's still kind of weird to just totally partially implement it while removing the perk, keeping the upgrade path at all, and keeping the ability to upgrade them by parking them in fiefs. It just feels really slap-dash and like they don't have a coherent vision for what they wanted. The roguery stuff is interesting I guess, but why recruit bandits if they max out at t4?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 22, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

from the roguery perks they're adding it looks like they want bandit troops and bandit parties to be their own thing, rather than just something everyone farms until they can inexplicably upgrade bandits to nobles

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pirates and Emperors, baby!!!!!!!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

upgrading bandits to nobles makes about as much sense as upgrading random peasant schmucks to nobles

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

upgrading bandits to nobles makes about as much sense as upgrading random peasant schmucks to nobles

As does recruiting random nobles from random villages but never towns. But yeah, I agree overall, but what was nice about the bandit route, besides the general ease of it, was that it reduced a lot of the randomness from the equation. I'd take a slow, reliable way to get some noble units any day.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

As does recruiting random nobles from random villages but never towns. But yeah, I agree overall, but what was nice about the bandit route, besides the general ease of it, was that it reduced a lot of the randomness from the equation. I'd take a slow, reliable way to get some noble units any day.

Same. Running around looking for random chance spawns is the least fun thing in any video game.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

There's a ton of mods to Warband that made noble generation sensible and part of mid-endgame kingdom building. Why they aren't using any of them is baffling.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Is there a way to prevent your castles from starving and losing prosperity? Like donating food?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

Is there a way to prevent your castles from starving and losing prosperity? Like donating food?
No. it will stabilize when your villages recover.

Also annoying is that they keep giving buffs to governor garrison size when I don't think I've ever been limited by the max garrison size compared to food and prosperity.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It would be cool if those garrison bonuses were changes to minimum number of soldiers before you consume the food supply

But then again those bonuses are for governors, right? And I never use governors

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Oh this is cool, there's now a mechanical bonus for picking the same culture as the kingdom you'll side with (and a reason not to always be a Battanian for the forest movement bonus)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

This game feels super stagnant. I have 32 hours in the game and It seems to have stalled after I gave the Dragon banner to the Viking King. The A.I controlled armies on both sides just beeline into castles deep in enemy territory and get crushed ad infinitum. I have one castle but am always at risk of having it taken and my progress in building an army wiped out. I built my character to be a dumb melee brute and after 32 hours my one handed weapon skill is only 87. I'm curious how Enjoy got 107 stewardship.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

This game feels super stagnant. I have 32 hours in the game and It seems to have stalled after I gave the Dragon banner to the Viking King. The A.I controlled armies on both sides just beeline into castles deep in enemy territory and get crushed ad infinitum. I have one castle but am always at risk of having it taken and my progress in building an army wiped out. I built my character to be a dumb melee brute and after 32 hours my one handed weapon skill is only 87. I'm curious how Enjoy got 107 stewardship.

Steward levels like a rocket. Just make yourself quartermaster and have a decent spread of food.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Easiest way to level combat skills is to chase down routing enemies. Also remember you get a multiplier on experience for having more focuses and attributes in that area

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Do you have to pay maintenance costs for a party that you set up with a companion? Or do they pay those costs themselves?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

trapped mouse posted:

Do you have to pay maintenance costs for a party that you set up with a companion? Or do they pay those costs themselves?

Last i played, you paid them but they stopped costing anything significant pretty quickly.

because they got punked by bandits

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

Both. If they're making money, they'll send you the excess. If they need money, you'll pay for the balance. In general I found that they pay more for themselves if they're in your army and you're aggressively fighting lords and other armies, otherwise they go raiding too much and get caught by enemy armies.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I think of the extra parties as like a command structure for your army... I put my family members in charge of them like it's a Total War game haha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Both. If they're making money, they'll send you the excess. If they need money, you'll pay for the balance. In general I found that they pay more for themselves if they're in your army and you're aggressively fighting lords and other armies, otherwise they go raiding too much and get caught by enemy armies.

iirc the way profits work for caravans, workshops, and parties is they want to keep some amount of money on hand and at the daily rollover if they have more than that amount then some percentage of the excess gets transferred to your money. if they want to spend more than they have on hand then it gets debited from you on the daily tick.

i dont know if putting other clan parties in your army makes you any more money unless there are other non-clan parties in the army, since i believe the after-battle loot is based on the enemy strength and this amount is parceled out among the winning parties (so having a clan party in the army means they'll get a share of the loot alongside you and the other npc parties)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I think of the extra parties as like a command structure for your army... I put my family members in charge of them like it's a Total War game haha

Is there any way to assign companions/other commanders to command detachments if they have better stats for that group? I haven't been able to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any way to assign companions/other commanders to command detachments if they have better stats for that group? I haven't been able to figure it out.

I think you need to disband the party and create a new one to change commander (they go to a town or castle you own)

I don't think we're currently able to assign companions as members of different parties which is a shame (would be cool to have medics assigned to each party)