Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nice! I had a similar experience in that I bought Suite 2 or 3 weeks before their big "stay home, make music" sale at the beginning of the pandemic. I sent 'em an email and the next morning they'd refunded me the ~$100 difference.

I mean, it makes sense that the company selling really expensive end-user software would have good support and take customer happiness seriously, but I was still surprised when the response wasn't "lol sucks to be you, pay me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

aunt jenkins posted:

Props to Ableton, I bought a Suite license about two weeks ago and then this news dropped today and I was feeling pretty annoyed. Logged into my account to see if I could file a ticket to inquire about options and my account already had a banner on it saying that an 11 license would be added when released. Nice of them to not only offer that but pre-emptively set it up for me.

:same:

Comping is huge for me, I'm pumped

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 11, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Achmed Jones posted:

Nice! I had a similar experience in that I bought Suite 2 or 3 weeks before their big "stay home, make music" sale at the beginning of the pandemic. I sent 'em an email and the next morning they'd refunded me the ~$100 difference.

I mean, it makes sense that the company selling really expensive end-user software would have good support and take customer happiness seriously, but I was still surprised when the response wasn't "lol sucks to be you, pay me"

They hooked me up the same way, I bought it about a month and a half before they sale so I wasn't expecting them to give me the discount but they did anyway. That kind of thing goes a long way.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Back when Push 2 came out they'd let you trade in old hardware and then would donate to some music programs. They seem nice.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I was kinda expecting some of this stuff in a 10.x update based on some of the major .x updates we saw in earlier Live versions, but it does seem like they dropped the upgrade cost a bit to compensate (I paid $239 to upgrade to 10 Suite, which I assume was a sale price, and they're only asking $183 this time).

Comping is huge and had to be one of the most requested features since even before 10 was released. I can't wait to see what new missing feature the reddit haters will latch on to now that comping is in.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
I’ve seen people complain about the lack of piano roll features. I haven’t used other ones extensively, but Live does let you edit multiple tracks in the same piano roll now (in 11).

The lower upgrade price is just because it’s 20% off right now. I think the regular upgrade price is the same as before. MPE, comping, new packs, and more devices is worth it I guess.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I bet they still haven't fixed the midi pitch bend envelope bug :negative:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Judge Judy posted:

The lower upgrade price is just because it’s 20% off right now. I think the regular upgrade price is the same as before. MPE, comping, new packs, and more devices is worth it I guess.

I don't think that's the case. The Suite 11 upgrade is $229, on sale 20% off @ $183. I believe the Suite 10 upgrade was $299 which also was 20% off at launch @ $239. Maybe the 10 upgrade price was the outlier though, and it was typically $229 for previous version (I didn't have Suite until version 9).

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
That pitch bend thing is weird. I’m not sure they consider it a bug, but it certainly seems wrong. It seems there is a Max device to fix the issue, but there shouldn’t have to be. The fact that some people may be relying on that behavior makes me think it won’t get changed.

Splinter posted:

I don't think that's the case. The Suite 11 upgrade is $229, on sale 20% off @ $183. I believe the Suite 10 upgrade was $299 which also was 20% off at launch @ $239. Maybe the 10 upgrade price was the outlier though, and it was typically $229 for previous version (I didn't have Suite until version 9).

You are correct. All the more reason to upgrade now.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Judy posted:

I’ve seen people complain about the lack of piano roll features. I haven’t used other ones extensively, but Live does let you edit multiple tracks in the same piano roll now (in 11).

You can do that in 10

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm recording some guitar stuff today and man I'm looking forward to that comping feature

Edit: what's the deal with ableton betas? worth jumping on for a hobbyist or are they generally unstable?

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what is comping?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

what is comping?

Multiple takes on the same track. So you can say, record a vocal track 5 times and then edit together a non lovely take from the sections of your lovely takes.

Logic has had it for ages, doing it in live 10 requires making multiple tracks. Its a pretty big deal if you want to use Live as a recording environment and not just a sequencer.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 13, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

massive spider posted:

Multiple takes on the same track. So you can say, record a vocal track 5 times and then edit together a non lovely take from the sections of your lovely takes.

Logic has had it for ages, doing it in live 10 requires making multiple tracks. Its a pretty big deal if you want to use Live as a recording environment and not just a sequencer.

ohhhh interesting. I've done punching in and out, but this sounds a lot better than having to have like 40 tracks.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Here's a demo of how it works in 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OxjJRYtlxo&t=408s

It's going to be great for me for recording guitar and synth parts.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

It's basically more or less exactly how it works in Reaper and probably other DAWs too, which is great. I have an upcoming mostly-live-audio project I'm doing production on and I was not looking forward to having to do my tracking in another DAW. The multi-mic take selection stuff is also quite cool.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there anyway of getting AutoFilter's LFO to retrigger/reset? I'm using a wobble bass patch with a macro knob for controlling the rate (it's either a stock preset or from one of the official factory packs, I can't remember which) and if use a rate like 3/8, sometimes it's half way through a cycle at the beginning of a bar.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

chippy posted:

Is there anyway of getting AutoFilter's LFO to retrigger/reset? I'm using a wobble bass patch with a macro knob for controlling the rate (it's either a stock preset or from one of the official factory packs, I can't remember which) and if use a rate like 3/8, sometimes it's half way through a cycle at the beginning of a bar.

No, pretty sure it doesn’t. You can like resample it tho, I suppose.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Still early days but has anyone had any experience with Ableton working on the new M1 macbooks/macs working ? Also if you're seeing any major problems with plugins?

I'm tempted to pick up a mac mini

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
you can't even upgrade MacOS point version releases without breaking something in audio production land, you'd be nuts to get an M1 this early

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How's latency in not mac land now? i think i wanna get off mac if possible.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Good morning gents,

I know the old 'standard vs suite' discussion has been done to the ground but I thought I'd ask, just incase my specific circumstances might make a difference. I'm a dabbler amateur rather than a professional and have bounced between FL Studio, Logic Pro, Reaper and finally settled on Ableton - and now I'm also looking to go fully legit rather than any pirated software. With regard to VSTs, I own nothing paid-for and a fair number of free instruments and effects. It's been a while since I have done any production, but was mostly 303/808 samples, Yamaha DX-style retro wave.

I love hardware synths as much as the next person, but I don't have any. I do have an old-and-to-be-replaced audio interface, microphone, and captive singer - and really just trying to link it all up.

I don't have a push, and not really planning to get one - but I do have a midi keyboard and I'm looking to get some pads, I think. Either way, I'm not looking to perform live.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Southern Heel posted:

Good morning gents,

I know the old 'standard vs suite' discussion has been done to the ground but I thought I'd ask, just incase my specific circumstances might make a difference. I'm a dabbler amateur rather than a professional and have bounced between FL Studio, Logic Pro, Reaper and finally settled on Ableton - and now I'm also looking to go fully legit rather than any pirated software. With regard to VSTs, I own nothing paid-for and a fair number of free instruments and effects. It's been a while since I have done any production, but was mostly 303/808 samples, Yamaha DX-style retro wave.

I love hardware synths as much as the next person, but I don't have any. I do have an old-and-to-be-replaced audio interface, microphone, and captive singer - and really just trying to link it all up.

I don't have a push, and not really planning to get one - but I do have a midi keyboard and I'm looking to get some pads, I think. Either way, I'm not looking to perform live.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

If you haven't seen it, there's a breakdown here of what you get in the different versions: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

You get a lot more instruments and packs with Suite.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

chippy posted:

If you haven't seen it, there's a breakdown here of what you get in the different versions: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

You get a lot more instruments and packs with Suite.

Max4Live also comes with Suite, which is worth the upgrade price alone considering what that opens up.

Looks like Operator and Analog are Suite-only as well, which is surprising because I feel they are the foundation of any synthesis in Live.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This deal seems good for an upgrade right now (only $351 CAD to get to standard from lite and then I get 11 "free"), but I'm not even an amateur. I'm more like a hobbyist dabbler.

I should probably just go with Reaper and try to learn that, because that's a way more reasonable amount of money for what I'll probably get out of it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

odiv posted:

This deal seems good for an upgrade right now (only $351 CAD to get to standard from lite and then I get 11 "free"), but I'm not even an amateur. I'm more like a hobbyist dabbler.

I should probably just go with Reaper and try to learn that, because that's a way more reasonable amount of money for what I'll probably get out of it.

I just purchased Standard and it sounds like we're in the same boat, I'm very much a hobbyist dabbler as well. Did I read your posts correctly, that you already have Lite? If not you still may be able to snag a free copy of it from Splice.

I opted for Standard since I'm still very unfamiliar with everything, but know I wanna have a good DAW later down the line, and because I've already put a few hours into learning Ableton back when I had a :filez: version of it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
As a fellow hobbyist-dabbler I bought Suite when it was cheaper back in March. I don't regret it, and it gives you a heck of a lot to play with - all sorts of libraries and instruments to explore straight away before you enter the wallet destroying world of VSTs

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, I already have Lite. Honestly that might be enough but it feels kinda cramped.

Suite is so far beyond what I could spend on something like this, unfortunately. I don't doubt it's worth the money, just not for me. Well I have a couple weeks at least before the sale's over so maybe I should give Reaper (and lite) a real shot before then just to see.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

odiv posted:

Yes, I already have Lite. Honestly that might be enough but it feels kinda cramped.

Suite is so far beyond what I could spend on something like this, unfortunately. I don't doubt it's worth the money, just not for me. Well I have a couple weeks at least before the sale's over so maybe I should give Reaper (and lite) a real shot before then just to see.

Having Lite will cut off the like, $80 it costs on its own if you purchase Standard/Suite, if I'm recalling correctly. I'd recommend getting all your VSTs into Lite and figuring it out a bit and seeing if its what you need, I almost purchased it instead of Standard when I was looking at them but opted to go for Standard right off the bat to save myself from having to upgrade down the line.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Suite is great if you want to buy one thing that has pretty much everything you need to create tracks from a wide variety of genres. With Standard, not having Wavetable, Operator and Analog is a big hit on the synthesis side. Effects wise missing Convolution/Hybrid Reverb (much better than the Standard Reverb IMO), the amp-sim related devices (Amp, Cabinet, Pedal -- especially if you record guitar, but they can be useful on other stuff as well) and to a lesser extent Echo (it's great, but not really essential as Standard still has capable delays) are the biggest losses. Sample wise Standard is missing a ton, but depending on the type of music you make that might not be a huge deal.

However, Standard is still good, you'll just need to fill in some of the gaps with 3rd party options. There are plenty of decent free synths/effects out there these days if you want to get started with no additional money spent. And then you can add paid options in the future if/when you run into limitations with Standard + free plugs (e.g., need a reverb, grab Valhalla VintageVerb or Room for $50). For some genres Standard plus grabbing a solid bread and butter synth (e.g. rent-to-own Serum) combined with a month or 2 of Splice Sounds to build a little library of drum samples might be more than enough to keep you occupied for years (and there's even some benefit to just having one very good synth that you spend the time learning well since it's your only option). You can also replicate a lot of what Suite adds by instead spending that money on a 3rd party bundle like Komplete (wait for a sale though...), which will cover almost everything Suite covers and then some, and in some cases what you get will be subjectively "better" than what comes with Suite (though often at the expense of less integration/slower workflow than using Live devices). As another poster said, opting for 3rd party VSTs instead of Suite can be a slippery slope for your wallet, but having Suite won't necessarily prevent that either.

One use case where Suite really shines is with Push. Having the extra synths, sample based instruments and effects that integrate well with the Push hardware (better integration with the Push screen, better default mappings) makes Push much more powerful when first sketching out tracks IMO, even if you'll eventually go back and replace the Live sounds with 3rd party instruments/effects/sounds.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you have a Mac you could also consider Logic Pro, the price is really, really good for what you get (likely because you also paid them a lot for your hardware)

Also even though I have Suite I still tend to use Serum for everything just because there's so many tutorials and sound packs for it out there and I find the interface more approachable than the Ableton synths that I paid a fortune for.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I grabbed Vital (https://vital.audio/) recently which I'm hoping to give a real try over the holiday here.

I might be talking myself into the Standard upgrade.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve just purchased standard - my plan is to use it until August, then use the 90 day trial of suite until the next Black Friday sale and I’ll have a good idea of whether it’s worth it for me.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
So I've just ordered Arturia Minilab MKII few days ago.

How are your experiences with it and it's compatibility with Ableton? This is my first midi keyboard, but I've looked around and the consensus seems that it is pretty good, but i'd still like to hear around and see what are your opinions/experiences with it.

TearsOfPirates fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 28, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

Is a Push worth it if it's just going to sit on my desk directly in front of my monitor? Do you still use the on-screen controls even if you have a mouse and keyboard right there? I have an APK Mini right now but the keys are pretty drat small for playing and I have a digital piano right beside me anyway for when I need to really play piano parts (badly). The push is interesting to me because the way it operates kinda like a fretboard would be handy to me for punching in bass lines and melodies but I'm just not sure if I'll use all the fancy on-screen controls when my mouse and keyboard are always gonna be right there.

Long answer here for me was no. The pad layout was kinda cool as a guitar player but I still found myself gravitating towards my piano when I needed to play any parts and I found the ergonomics of using the Push on my desk a lot worse than just using kb/m to control everything. I also don't use session mode very often and it's really geared for that. I can definitely see why it's such a popular device but for me as someone that doesn't actually play gigs with Ableton and already has a full size digital piano + an MPK Mini it just wasn't worth the cost or desk space. Bought it for $750 and sold it for $700 so all in all not too bad for a rental.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip34jn8HMxc

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back in my day we zoomed way in on the piano roll and manually edited each note's position, and that's how we liked it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This seems really cool but I wanted that fucker to do something, literally anything, other than just scroll upwards through every single arpeggio there. Motherfucker, do something interesting!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I was hoping it would emulate finger picking patterns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been watching this guy on YouTube Julien Earle who makes a bunch of electronic music (mostly house) using only stock plugins and sounds and god drat I have really been sleeping on Ableton's capabilities.