Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

(He doesn't care.)

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Why was Trant’s voice acting so amazingly bad? I didn’t know about the podcast voice actors or whatever and they didn’t stand out to me, but Trant was SO bad I thought it was a joke.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

None of the voices are terribly bad and only say a paragraph or two at most. The guy who voice the mercenary sounds like he was miscast more than anything. When I think of bad voice acting I'm thinking of games like Spellforce 1, House of the Dead 2, Heavy Rain, Two Worlds, Mystery of the Druids, etc...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You know how sometimes you'll be reading a book and the author will describe the appearance of a character and you just decide, "No, he doesn't look like that." That's how I feel about Kim's voice. He doesn't sound like that and you can't make me think he does. :colbert:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why was Trant’s voice acting so amazingly bad? I didn’t know about the podcast voice actors or whatever and they didn’t stand out to me, but Trant was SO bad I thought it was a joke.

Trant's voice work is unsettling, and stands in contrast to the understated attitude in comparison to a lot of the voice acting, but it's an affect that comes across as intentional. He's the weirdly enthusiastic tech guy contracted to work for the PD of a much poorer part of Revachol; it shouldn't be suprising that he stands out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

he didn't sound weird or bad to me at all lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

???

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the age of the ham sandwich race is over

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What a brilliant insult

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
In regards to Measurehead one of the best moments in a high phys/half light run is KOing him with a loving kung fu spin kick

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

You know how sometimes you'll be reading a book and the author will describe the appearance of a character and you just decide, "No, he doesn't look like that." That's how I feel about Kim's voice. He doesn't sound like that and you can't make me think he does. :colbert:
It is a white guy voicing an Asian dude so you’re right there

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

The first time Trant Heidelstam spoke I thought it was terrible, but by the end I realized it was actually really good.

Trant is great, he's the guy who put waaaaaay too many points into Encyclopedia.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
I seriously regret talking to Trant and not googling what his Wompty Dompty thought did on my first run which had super high encyclopedia. I mean it had such a dumb name it must be terrible, right?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

E. Revenant posted:

I seriously regret talking to Trant and not googling what his Wompty Dompty thought did on my first run which had super high encyclopedia. I mean it had such a dumb name it must be terrible, right?

He did it! He said Wompty-Dompty-Dom Centre like it’s the most natural thing in the world

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I like trant's voice because it's a wonderful version of the type of nerd who is simultaneously overeducated and overprivileged

cuno's just loud because cuno isn't taking any chances on people not hearing the extremely important poo poo cuno has to say, pig

the scab leader doesn't sound like a grizzled mercenary who commits war crimes for breakfast but maybe they intended the contrast idk

I dunno the chapo boys super well but whoever does titus (christman?) is the standout of the lot

and of course measurehead's VA deserves constant adulation

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The thing about the scab leader is that he is vaguely inspired by Peter Daou, a political figure who at the time of production was a bizarre Clintonite ultraliberal who was a child soldier in Lebanese conflict. The thing about Peter Daou is that he is a comically embarrassing guy in a number of ways, yet nonetheless if if wasn't for strange circumstances that brought him to the US and allowed him to insinuate himself into Democrat political operations he could have remained a deeply traumatized combatant carrying out the same kind of war crimes attributed to the scab leader.

Seriously, though, tell me Daou was not used as the reference here:

The chapos used to mock this guy. He was given an embarrassing voice by Felix (whose resting voice is pretty goofy) to accentuate the fact that war criminals don't all sound like dangerous badasses with base-baritone voices. Sometimes they're just muscled up dweebs who are also monsters.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Incidentally, Felix is also a 6'2" weightlifter who did bouncing as a job and punchsports as a hobby. Yet, he sounds like that. The world is funny like that. See also: the voice of Mike Tyson

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the chapo people said on some episode that until the game came out, they thought it was fans trying to make a fun hobby thing, not seriously gifted professionals who happened to be fans making something genre-redefining.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

also peter daou has actually in the past couple years left ultraliberalism behind, sprinted past milquetoast social democracy and is approaching full communism

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

also peter daou has actually in the past couple years left ultraliberalism behind, sprinted past milquetoast social democracy and is approaching full communism

yeah it might be a grift but Daou is good now

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Baddest Of the Bad Cops
Hit an all time low with Kim

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

lol "kimothy"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it might be a grift but Daou is good now

I don't think it is a grift, actually. In every profile I've read one consistent quality that seems to come up is that he has a deep sense of personal loyalty to people he considers friends. And I think that explains the zealotry he had when he was defending Clinton.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I don't think it is a grift, actually. In every profile I've read one consistent quality that seems to come up is that he has a deep sense of personal loyalty to people he considers friends. And I think that explains the zealotry he had when he was defending Clinton.

I'm just prepared for all online Personalities to eventually be exposed as running a grift

but yeah odds are he's sincere. the one thing you can't accuse Daou of is insincerity

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

inexplicably potato-obsessed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm not sure what Daou's grift could even be. while he wasn't the exclusive face of neoliberalism he definitely could make waaay more bank with his old beliefs than, what, pandering to lefties, a group not exactly known for having huge dollars

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Countblanc posted:

i'm not sure what Daou's grift could even be. while he wasn't the exclusive face of neoliberalism he definitely could make waaay more bank with his old beliefs than, what, pandering to lefties, a group not exactly known for having huge dollars

yeah I think this clinches it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone having crashing issues lately? I reinstalled and now I get to the screen with some smoke and it freezes two seconds in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Countblanc posted:

Pretty much every leftist figure is constantly accused by basically everyone of being a grifter, while raising similar questions of exactly what grift they're going for that wouldn't be so much more profitable with neoliberalism or conservatism.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

World War Mammories posted:

the scab leader doesn't sound like a grizzled mercenary who commits war crimes for breakfast but maybe they intended the contrast idk

It is definitely intentional. When you first meet the Scab Leader, a bit of text calls attention to the fact that his voice sounds oddly high and wispy for a such an ogre of a man.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 23, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Weirdly, a 2 year old Youtube clip of the Chapo guys talking about Peter Daou popped up on my feed, if you want to hear the voice actors for the scab leader, the smoker on the balcony, Titus Hardie, Siileng and gently caress the World talk about him https://youtu.be/qJMvUC93FKk

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Utritum posted:

It is definitely intentional. When you first meet the Scab Leader, a bit of text calls attention to the fact that his sounds oddly high and wispy for a such an ogre of a man.

that was actually ZA/UMs writers savagely roasting Felix's retroactively

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Smoker on the balcony is the worst VA in the game, dude sounds like a nerd.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Honestly I thought it was Ruby

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I saw a video of Felix playing with a fidget spinner the other day and it blew my mind, he’s buff as hell.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Smoker on the balcony is the worst VA in the game, dude sounds like a nerd.

They are nerds tho

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

i don't know this for certain but it sure was what i assumed. or at least that they knew they had to say something about it. it's not his fault if the voice doesn't fit, and if he's hugely out of practice at sounding like he cares about stuff: they're the ones who cast him!

I finished the game with voices turned off so i don't know what several characters "sound like"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I had never listened to Chapo before I played DE so I had no idea who these people were. I thought the scab leader voice was hilarious.

I did start listening to Chapo because of this game, though, so I guess that's the Disco to Chapo pipeline for you.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Balcony smoker man is the best VA in the game because that’s just what Virgil sounds like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The only one I didn't really like was Morrell, he sounded a bit too much doing-a-voice-for-a-role. I need to check up the VA for lymbic/lizard, I'm sure I've heard them elsewhere, very surprised they were the same guy.

e: apparently I haven't. Go this guy and his burgeoning VA career

Just finished finally, was brilliant and HUGE and low key all at the same time.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 24, 2020