Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You guys are aware that loving up the match engine in the full release is a longstanding time-honored FM tradition, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna buy this aren't I

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

You guys are aware that loving up the match engine in the full release is a longstanding time-honored FM tradition, right

Usually I'm being much more scathing this close to release for *reasons redacted*.

By all means give it another week just in case but it's the best match engine for a very long time, and the covid financial & scheduling effects make things slightly more interesting.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oh yeah but the cumulative changes have me somewhat optimistic that they can't gently caress up EVERYTHING this time. The game actually looks like proper football for once.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's December and for the 4th time, the Bayern manager calls me up to ask why the kid we've got on loan isn't playing at DM, like I said he would.
For the 4th time, I say "He's playing lots, does the position really matter?", and the Bayern manager shrugs and puts the phone down.

Nice chat, moron.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

It's December and for the 4th time, the Bayern manager calls me up to ask why the kid we've got on loan isn't playing at DM, like I said he would.
For the 4th time, I say "He's playing lots, does the position really matter?", and the Bayern manager shrugs and puts the phone down.

Nice chat, moron.

I had this with a Dortmund player. Strung them along until midseason when I bought in some new players in his position. I didn't have a cancellation clause so I said "well shucks, I guess you should recall him then" and they did, saving me £2k a week.

Also likely contributed to my horrific collapse as he was brilliant, but never mind.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
IF you just want to be the equivalent of director of football, grab an instant result skin, it makes doing multiple seasons in less than a week possible.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I once did a DoF save in FM08 and it was great, though slightly tempered by my assman pissing off several players every single game.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, the assistant manager seems to be doing a good job in my save

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Won every preseason game by 3 goals. This is a very bad sign.

edit: nm won first league game 7-1

Quite liking how target man works this year. Not seeing as many pointless long balls towards it, but does attract enough to stop my team trying to play in the advanced forward over the top constantly.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 23, 2020

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'd pretty much forgotten release was so close.

At least now there's a demo available now.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
For those with the game, how is the match engine? Any major bugs, or alternatively, anything really neat?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

For those with the game, how is the match engine? Any major bugs, or alternatively, anything really neat?

Hmm I wonder if people have been talking about his previously itt.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Shroud posted:

It's good OP.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Hmm I wonder if people have been talking about his previously itt.

Was just checking to see if SI did the beta/full release match engine bait-and-switch.

sassassin posted:

Quite liking how target man works this year. Not seeing as many pointless long balls towards it, but does attract enough to stop my team trying to play in the advanced forward over the top constantly.

Yours was the only quote about it since release. Apologies if I'm wrong, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

It's good OP.

Bad things:

- Offsides have some dumb, dumb, loving gently caress off logic at times.Like tap ins from a yard out disallowed because someone was off clear on the other side of the goal. I'm up to 10+ a game now playing low tempo passing football.
- Crossing is whack. There's definitely some rubberbanding like 1v1 finishing had last year at work under the bonnet for heading.
- Wingbacks defend wrong. The whole structure of defending wide areas is bad but its survivable when you figure it out.

FM20 was godawful so relatively speaking it's a good release.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

Yours was the only quote about it since release. Apologies if I'm wrong, though.

The game has not changed in any appreciable way since private beta.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Another question - is anyone running FM on the new M1 Macbooks? If so, how's it running?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZRcjkRKbLE

You guys ready for some facepacks? Zealand and crew made a huge (like 100k face) newgen facepack based on AI face generation like https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ along with a utility to install them on your newgens with automatic nationality/skin tone mappings.

It looks pretty sweet

Or the download if you don't wanna look at the YouTube:
https://fm-base.co.uk/resources/sagkrzealand-facepack.1266/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shame there's no way to automatically pick up every newgen id. Player search on specific dates (16 on 1st September 2020 is youngest possible real life player, with oldest possible newgen after that) isn't going to be complete even if you're at a big club with full scouting knowledge, and you'll have to keep manually updating it as you discover more and more players.

I don't do massive graphics packs these days anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sassassin posted:

Shame there's no way to automatically pick up every newgen id. Player search on specific dates (16 on 1st September 2020 is youngest possible real life player, with oldest possible newgen after that) isn't going to be complete even if you're at a big club with full scouting knowledge, and you'll have to keep manually updating it as you discover more and more players.

Yeah, it's a lot easier if you have the ingame editor since you can just explicitly search for newgens that way

What they should do is work with someone like the fmrte people and just pull them newgens directly out of game memory

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wish to god that existed in 2018 but the newgen faces are all the way back up to the lofty graphical standards of 2003 now and I can live with them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Yeah, it's a lot easier if you have the ingame editor since you can just explicitly search for newgens that way

What they should do is work with someone like the fmrte people and just pull them newgens directly out of game memory

Even the cheater program still requires you use player search which only shows players your club is aware of, though (afaik). 'Newgen only' is a filter on those results.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sassassin posted:

Even the cheater program still requires you use player search which only shows players your club is aware of, though (afaik). 'Newgen only' is a filter on those results.

You can have genie pull your in game searches into genie, but both fmrte and genie have access to literally everyone in your database if you use their searches

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

FM Genie Scout is my favorite Judging Player Ability 20 | Judging Player Potential 20 scout on my staff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

FM Genie Scout is my favorite Judging Player Ability 20 | Judging Player Potential 20 scout on my staff.

Enjoy your ban.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm playing in the second tier in Norway and my only scout is JPA/JPP 5 or 6 or something. Didn't even come with the club, I had to hire someone and he was the best applicant.

B team manager is 13/13 though so he gets sent to look at serious targets.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sassassin posted:

SI still haven't fixed the bug where newgens are generated at birth (but appear as 14 years old). That one's been in the game for at least 5 years.
They also haven't sorted out marking for lone strikers, who seem to have the freedom of [insert town here] by default.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Was going so well. To be kind to my bottling players the three losses are against sides that are now 1st, 4th and 5th (I'm down to 2nd on goal difference), but the Strommen game I was 2-0 down until they had a man sent off, and they're in the relegation zone by a distance. Jerv are 3rd so I really have to beat Asane. They have a new striker, scored 4 in last 3 games. On loan from me and is eligible to play.

FFS

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Drew 1-1 thanks to a dodgy penalty. My players were (according to the commentary) timewasting in injury time, I think because a draw guaranteed a playoff spot.

The loving clowns.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Didn't even have to savescum. Drew with Asane and Jerv but won my final 3 games with minor tweaking of the system (friendship ended with AF-A) and Tromso opened the door for me by beating Hamkam and falling to relegated Strommen. Have fun in the playoffs.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Meanwhile, I bottled the title in the 93rd minute of the final match in my Twente Enschede save, finishing second with 80 points out of 34 games in the Eredivisie behind Ajax at 81.
Which I was okay with since it'll keep the board's expectations in check until I realized that it means I have to play the CL qualifiers. And the super cup, because of course Ajax won the cup as well.

Anyway, I still wonder who came up with the gestures but I appreciate them more and more. I make it a point to slam the table at least once per press conference before storming out. I keep a constant supply of bottles around to throw at my players. The first time my team leaders came to me to complain about my (insane, raving, frequently abusive) halftime talks I kicked a chair to intimidate them, which not only worked but improved my relationship with all but one of them who I assume got hit by the chair. :allears:

Also:

"That's exactly the sort of reaction I was after."

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 27, 2020

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

this is the first fm i've bought since 14. i got hired by nice and i have absolutely no idea what i am doing with the way training works now. is it worth trying to wrap my head around it or just tell my assistant to do everything? also why do journalists love it so much when i point my finger at them in press conferences? at least the match engine is noticeably more realistic tho

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

yugioh mishima posted:

this is the first fm i've bought since 14. i got hired by nice and i have absolutely no idea what i am doing with the way training works now. is it worth trying to wrap my head around it or just tell my assistant to do everything? also why do journalists love it so much when i point my finger at them in press conferences? at least the match engine is noticeably more realistic tho
Much like players appear to love emotional outbursts, journalists crave personal attention of any kind.

And don't leave training to the rear end man, he'll gently caress it up. Spectacularly and in a way that leads to more injuries. The AI thinks nothing of scheduling a week of mainly physical sessions when you have two fixtures to play. And the default training weeks are mostly trash because they tend to focus on one type of session - which includes weeks devoted to attacking/defending training groups instead of balancing the workload.

During pre-season, I generally focus on sessions that improve tactical familiarity and team cohesion while playing at least one friendly per week.

After that, I basically have 3 training weeks I cycle through. Each one of them hits specific things for match preparation (Upcoming Match in the session description but this is misleading, the session effects last for longer). So one week might have an Attacking Movement session and Set Piece Delivery, the second one Defensive Shape and Attacking Free Kicks, and then the third one Teamwork and Attacking Corners as well as Defending Corners.
Or some other combination. You might not necessarily want to train set pieces as much as I do, but, well, this is the kind of player I like to sign:

Here's an example training week:

I generally keep the impact low and schedule a Recovery session when I do Match Practice or a Physical session (I schedule one or two of those per normal week depending on how many matches I play in general).
I keep the sessions balanced for a given day, never focusing on only one training group.
I schedule some sessions that keep tactical familiarity up but also some that allow work on individual training goals. This is where you need to look at training sessions in detail, specifically the Defending and Attacking sessions. In the week above, the Tuesday sessions increase tactical familiarity while the sessions on Thursday let the training groups the sessions don't focus on do individual work. That's also the reason for the Goalkeeping session on Monday: low injury risk and it lets the outfield players work towards their training goals.
What individual sessions you pick will depend on what stats you want to improve to an extent but you do want to fit something for all the Upcoming Match and Tactical Familiarity categories in there.
(Also, the second Friday session is skipped if the match on Saturday is an away match, so I just put something in there I don't mind "losing".)

Also, you need specific training weeks for 2 match weeks because the game is horrible at adjusting your existing weeks. I just use those to add in some sessions I normally don't schedule like Play from the Back.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 27, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just make sure to always have a recovery and review after every match. do at least team bonding every week, outreach if I can. same with teamwork.

Really anything I can do to get cohesion up as fast as possible.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Training guide:

Training breaks down into different objectives at different times of the season. The first thing to do is get your Tactical Familiarity and Team Cohesion ratings up. Tactics screen will show you the former, Dynamics the latter. AI managers are sluggish to improve both and starting ratings can be abysmal (my Sogndal team above was very poor cohesion on day one due to a lot of new signings) so boosting them will give you a great advantage early on. Top picks for sessions to do at least once a week are Teamwork (Match Prep) and Team Bonding (Extra Curr). Read the tooltips to see what each session improves.

After those are at good levels, focus on Attribute training. You want a good mix of generalised training (where players in each unit work a listed group of attributes, hopefully suited to the football you want to play) and individual training (where players are sent off to work on their individual positions/ppms/focuses) during each week. Ignore tactical stuff entirely once your team is familiar, as playing competitive games will keep everyone sharp, but Team Bonding once a week is still recommended. I like to get a Physical (General), Goalkeeping (General), Ground Defence (Defending) and Ball Retention (Technical) in each week, just personal preference.

From there the only time to change is when you have movement in your squad - players coming and going. When that happens switch out your specific attribute sessions for the more general ones that also include a bit of familiarity (and keep doing Team Bonding). So instead of Ground Defence do Defending Disengaged. Instead of Chance Conversion do Attacking Wide etc.

Other things to consider are maintaining match day performance boosts. When you do certain sessions your ability in the next few games improves (again, listed on the session tooltips), so doing Teamwork or Set Piece Delivery semi-regularly can be a big help. Which ones are active are listed on the main training page, bottom right iirc, think they last a 2-3 weeks or something after doing one. The Match Prep sessions are low intensity so are good to squeeze in the day before games. I maybe spend too much time worrying about these but I win titles so...

If you're managing in England you barely get any time to train, which is a big part of why I don't manage there any more. Rest and recovery is important. You do not want to schedule 3 sessions every day, as you will increase fatigue in players, risking injury but also just making them worse on matchday even if they're lucky to stay in good health. That said in preseason building fatigue through intense days can be good and raises sharpness faster. I almost got caught out on that one in this save, even with 7 friendlies barely got my starting 11 ready to go as the intensity of my tactic was a bit gentle. Footballers irl don't train many hours a week. Ranieri won a title with Leicester by cutting out a few weekly sessions they had been doing. You're not a slave-driver, you're a babysitter. Let them get to bed early.

If your players complain only change something if you're worried about keeping the player happy. They don't know what's good for them. But happy players are usually better players.

Also look at the Units page. Check your midfielders are in the right list (defenders or attackers) for their skillset/what you want from them but otherwise it more or less manages itself. You don't want your deep-lying playmaker doing all the aerial defence sessions and working on his own on chance creation day, so make sure he's in attackers.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 27, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wizard Styles posted:

Here's an example training week:

I only do Match Practice if I have a long gap between games and have to maintain sharpness (as in more than a week break). Too intense for what it does, otherwise. A normal week I like two physical sessions, one general and one Resistance. But I'm a fitness training manager whose star 16 year old is out with a slipped disk from deadlifts.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That English match congestion is even worse year one in FM21 with their covid implementation. SecondYellowCard was doing Tottenham and ended the season with 10 matches in 20 days. Nobody could move by the end.

e: Conversely I do one physical session every other week at best other than preseason where I attempt to murder the squad with wind sprints

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

sassassin posted:

Other things to consider are maintaining match day performance boosts. When you do certain sessions your ability in the next few games improves (again, listed on the session tooltips), so doing Teamwork or Set Piece Delivery semi-regularly can be a big help. Which ones are active are listed on the main training page, bottom right iirc, think they last a 2-3 weeks or something after doing one. The Match Prep sessions are low intensity so are good to squeeze in the day before games. I maybe spend too much time worrying about these but I win titles so...
They definitely last 3 weeks. I just went with that 3 week rotation I outlined because there are three of the light blue sessions to cycle through (Attacking Movement, Defensive Positioning, Teamwork) so that just happened naturally and it keeps all boosts going. The boosts might last even longer but I never tested that because I have never strayed from my setup.

sassassin posted:

I only do Match Practice if I have a long gap between games and have to maintain sharpness (as in more than a week break). Too intense for what it does, otherwise. A normal week I like two physical sessions, one general and one Resistance. But I'm a fitness training manager whose star 16 year old is out with a slipped disk from deadlifts.
I like to do Match Practice as part of one of my three weeks as an easy way to do both individual and tactical familiarity training. Easy for me, that is, not the players. But that also depends on what I want to train. At Twente right now I have a bunch of good prospects with Natural Fitness of 10 or below so I do Endurance training in 2/3, and since I want to be the god king of set pieces the remaining week has a Resistance session for Balance, Jumping Reach and Strength. No regularly scheduled Match Practice at the moment.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
21 of 27 games played, Cork City win the league by going twenty points clear and can't be caught, securing the title and promotion.

We were predicted to come second (which updated to first after the second transfer window was done) but I still feel this was a tactical domination!

(The competition winning screen/trophy presentation, spoilered in case you want to see it first in your own save.)

Next year will be the real test. A core of loaned in defenders helped me to this, next year I have a few young players coming in, but it might take them a season or two to come good if they even develop at all. Hopefully my wage budget doesn't go down, as it did with my Sheffield Wednesday save. But, for now, time to feel good!