Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Because more people are at this very moment still playing Isaac than most those other newer, "better" titles combined.

Fair enough, I guess there's no accounting for taste. It's kinda weird to skip Hades out of that list as it's probably the closest to BoI in terms of gameplay, but I can't argue with selling more of the same to people who keep playing your game. Paradox has built their entire model off of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Everyone agrees that Achilles is the sexiest waifu though, right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Call Your Grandma posted:

Everyone agrees that Achilles is the sexiest waifu though, right?

You cannot make me choose.

It's Thanatos though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glazius posted:

Hey Steam thread. I wanted to talk about a little game called Tenderfoot Tactics, which launched with approximately no fanfare (and certainly none here) about a month ago.

For the record I read this post and zipped to wishlist it, so thank you!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hey ive never actually bought anything other than bundles from humble bundle if I purchase the DLC for Jurassic World Evolution which is 50% off there right now does it work like the bundles where itll give me a key i can give to my son?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kly posted:

hey ive never actually bought anything other than bundles from humble bundle if I purchase the DLC for Jurassic World Evolution which is 50% off there right now does it work like the bundles where itll give me a key i can give to my son?
It will. You get a key for the DLC that can be activated on any Steam account that has the correct game. If you don't have the game, it'll give you an error message and tell you to buy the game first.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

cool thanks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ironcast: Variation on Match 3 combat attached to a Steampunk FTL style rogue like.

Having sunk several hundred hours into the orignal Puzzle Quest and I'm not ashamed of it, also HuniePop, good match 3 games are like loving crack for me and I love going all in. Sometimes you get good games that are as addictive as any of those pay2win mobile ones and sometimes you get something that works but just kind of detracts from the experience.

So, this being a rogue like where resource management is everything, ending up with really lovely boards where you can't make any good matches, having to delay making good matches to converse potential resources, having to also manage the meta aspect of the character "health" by paying for repairs between missions you can very quickly get to a point where you are basically dead in the water from 1-2 bad missions.

I know that's the point of these games, but there's something about have to do that in both a match 3 menu (i.e only match 6 instead of a possible 12 because your resource collection is capped) that tweaks the part of my brain that only wants to see the board cleared by a massive amount and makes me frustrated in the overall game. Either one of those things on its own are fun, and I've definitely played a couple dozen hours of FTL where everything is based on having to manage every resource and make cost/benefit decisions, but Ironcast kind of drops the ball in for example "resource" battles where you're supposed to collect 10 special tokens but you still have to fight an enemy, so rather then making the best match-3 moves to get the tokens you have to also manage the combat, and a bad run can cost you more then you make in $$$ from the mission as you try to clear the board wasting resources hoping the special tokens will drop.

Maybe you need to love permadeath roguelikes much more then match-3 gameplay to enjoy this game, I just don't like having to give up huge match combos for any reason.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just started playing Shadow of War and I'm surprised how janky does the controls and movement feels. Did they mess up the port or something?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

lordfrikk posted:

I just started playing Shadow of War and I'm surprised how janky does the controls and movement feels. Did they mess up the port or something?

I don't think so. Definitely keep playing the story stuff until you unlock the double jump tho, that makes moving around much easier.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Germany relaxed the "no nazi symbols in games" law last year *, so I wanted to finally get onboard the Wolfenstein train that is heavily discounted right now on Fanatical. But I'm 99% sure their keys are for the old censored versions. Bah.

*they must've realized that in no way did it discourage fascists from gathering in the streets, let me tell ya

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, yes, that seems to be what has happened. The game finally got trading card artwork around the 8th, so I guess I'm just late to the party. Thank you.

I just got two cards from Civ 6, which I haven't even had installed in 2020, so maybe sometimes they're just like "hey have four cents, on us, eventually"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Karma Tornado posted:

I just got two cards from Civ 6, which I haven't even had installed in 2020, so maybe sometimes they're just like "hey have four cents, on us, eventually"

I think they've added more cards with some of the free updates this year, and when that happens you'll get extras to keep you at the same % of total cards unlocked

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It was like five out of nine cards for From The Depths, which got new artwork done that was released on the 8th of this month according to the news hub on Steam, so I'm personally guessing that's it. I'm just glad it's not someone using my account without my knowledge.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Has anyone tried out Phantom Brigade? It seems like an interesting mix of XCOM and Into the Breach.

Also! I have a bunch of old Steam keys from bundles etc. Is there any way to check which ones are unused without just trying to activate them? I'd prefer to give them away so I don't want to tie them to my account (if I wanted the game I would have used it), but I also don't want to give out bad keys to my friends.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Darkrenown posted:

Has anyone tried out Phantom Brigade? It seems like an interesting mix of XCOM and Into the Breach.

Also! I have a bunch of old Steam keys from bundles etc. Is there any way to check which ones are unused without just trying to activate them? I'd prefer to give them away so I don't want to tie them to my account (if I wanted the game I would have used it), but I also don't want to give out bad keys to my friends.

It doesnt seem to even have a release date anymore on Steam.
Looks like they took the EGS cash as many do.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some Humble Choice October 2020 game codes if anybody's interested:

1. FE*GB-G27IT-3HXJW
2. KCLE*-0KT4N-R266Y
3. J4WZ9-77*WA-G2CA5
4. KIXYD-TV52*-G4FDC
5. JVP*G-ZFPVD-2R6PD
6. HMVWV-3*KA4-JPIIT
7. IPE0W-4JH*A-6LQNE
8. IZA*8-ZG80N-06JP4
9. H2KNC-BAYH*-AIPYP
10. ILLRY-V*MH4-4KBVB

1. *=F
2. *=W
3. *=V
4. *=K
5. *=P
6. *=E
7. *=H
8. *=Z
9. *=R
10. *=Y

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Palpek posted:

3. J4WZ9-77*WA-G2CA5

Took this one, thanks. Was trying to snipe the Sunless Collection but got Fae Tactics, which is still okay as that was the second game I wanted most from that bundle anyways.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Palpek posted:

Some Humble Choice October 2020 game codes if anybody's interested:

9. H2KNC-BAYH*-AIPYP

Grabbed this one, which was basement. Thanks!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i got the first one, shadows awakening :]

thank u palkpekp

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palpek posted:

8. IZA*8-ZG80N-06JP4

Grabbed this, thanks! It was The Uncertain, which is appropriately titled because I am uncertain as to what this is!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

2 is not available for the US, otherwise, all taken.
I did get goat of duty on my last try though.
Thanks

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Serephina posted:

Fair enough, I guess there's no accounting for taste. It's kinda weird to skip Hades out of that list as it's probably the closest to BoI in terms of gameplay, but I can't argue with selling more of the same to people who keep playing your game. Paradox has built their entire model off of this!

Hades has more people playing it right now, which makes sense, but a 50% lower life-time peak. I dunno why you have to look down at people enjoying BoI when clearly you're the one that's not into it rather than it being some kind of lack of taste thing on their part. There's room enough for both games.

(BoI had more word-of-mouth from monolithic YTbers so that might be a part of it as well.)

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 22, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I’ve finally gotten around to playing Rebel Galaxy and I really should have earlier. But besides that I’ve started looking at the sequel next and from what I remember and tried to look up recently now it’s basically back to fighters only for the player?

2D or not I’ve always enjoyed controlling larger ships more than the smaller ones in my space games and the fighter games I did like were more campaign oriented like Freespace, Colony Wars, Star Wars, and Wing Commander. The more free form ones like Privateer, Elite, or Tachyon seemed to always lose my interest. Don’t know what the difference is between big ships and little ships but there you go.

Is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw much different in that respect? Honestly I may just get it anyways because I seem to do that regardless of what my brain tells me but maybe there’s enough in Outlaw to break the pattern?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Outlaw is basically modern Privateer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RGO is very freeform, a lot like the prequel but with 3D fighter/transport combat instead of bigger ships.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw felt a bit thin on content after 20 hours. It was a good, repetitive 20 hours for me.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I felt the same about the first one.
I totally enjoyed it.
But after installing it 3 different times I only ever got up to getting to the point of leaving the first system before dropping off.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

KazigluBey posted:

Hades has more people playing it right now, which makes sense, but a 50% lower life-time peak. I dunno why you have to look down at people enjoying BoI when clearly you're the one that's not into it rather than it being some kind of lack of taste thing on their part. There's room enough for both games.

(BoI had more word-of-mouth from monolithic YTbers so that might be a part of it as well.)

I think there's some misunderstanding on what I'm saying here, so let me go on a bit of a rant/tangent:

I play DOTA. Always have, will probably continue to do so. It's a bad game, take my word for it. It also has a comically giant user base, so every time someone pulls up sale/players numbers as a merit of the game itself, rather than it's success, I'm always a little skeptical.

When Isaac came out a decade ago, I played and enjoyed it for a good period of time. It's fun! But despite having fun with it I could still see it's flaws. Runs are rng dependant, and success was more about intimate knowedge of its rolls and/or breaking the game wide open with a OP combo you got by luck. I've since moved on. Around about the same time, Bastion came out. I played it and enjoyed it. It kinda dragged near the end, but it was overall good. Both of these games got *huge* awareness / market penetration, mostly because the indie scene was dead so stuff like this did great, deservedly.

Now, a decade later, the scene is oversaturated with Indie games. Hades also dropped, and it's great. So great that I decided to reinstall Bastion to see how things have changed, and boy howdy - have they! The controls are much tighter and there's a few mechanic decisions that are way better (not forcefully taking away the player's chosen weapon mid-mission to introduce a new one, etc.) Hades is also configured a bit different, with 'runs', so it's a bit closer to Isaac in a fuzzy logic kind of way - I feel comparisons within the roguelite genre are valid enough.

So back to now. Isaac might have a good player base, but as per my DOTA comment above I suspect that's mostly a matter of inertia and previous success than a credence to it's perfection. The roguelite genre has come a long way with a lot of improvements made via watching the mistakes of others; if some guy came in asking for recommendations after playing a single roguelite, Isaac wouldn't make the list.

So yes, I think of BoI as a relic from the past with my 'old dead horse' comment, and while it's a surprise that it has such an active player base (which also answers my question on why there's new content for it), the only way I'd be convinced that BoI became a good game is if they ripped out everything from the roots and started anew. Kinda like that guy who said they should just make a BoI2? I'd probably buy/wishlist that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Binding of Isaac is a good game imo.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

And so is DOTA2.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

That sure is a lot of words to say you don't think DOTA2/BoI are good as a matter of personal opinion without really substantiating why either are "bad", but you do you, man.

Appeals to popularity are a fallacy but lol @ "just trust me, bro". Nobody said BoI was "perfect", btw, not sure why that was part of your post either.

"if some guy came in asking for recommendations after playing a single roguelite, Isaac wouldn't make the list." See when people say this about Rogue Legacy, I get it I really do. I absolutely do not get saying this about BoI.

e.: And why would they "rip everything out and start anew" when A) Trying something different bombed for them already, and B) BoI has sales/concurrent/tail that other indies would literally kill for, and will likely get a lot of buzz and word of mouth going their way if the message is "Isaac, but More"?

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 23, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

That sure is a lot of words to say you don't think DOTA2/BoI are good as a matter of personal opinion without really substantiating why either are "bad", but you do you, man.

are you responding to some other post or something? because the post it looks like you're responding to sure had these words in it:

Serephina posted:

When Isaac came out a decade ago, I played and enjoyed it for a good period of time. It's fun! But despite having fun with it I could still see it's flaws. Runs are rng dependant, and success was more about intimate knowedge of its rolls and/or breaking the game wide open with a OP combo you got by luck.

BoI is like, fine. but what it has mostly is first-mover advantage. Any of its directly inspired derivative works like nuclear throne, gungeon, etc. are better than it is at what it does, with the exception that, because they are less overall slot-machine-like in their ability to occasionally hand you a busted combo, they don't hook people chasing that specific high.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I think a lot of that post is both personal taste (no accounting for it, ehh?) and endemic to the genera, so idk why in this comparison between BoI and Hades (which I don't even get because again, these aren't MMOs/Live-Services, you can go through them all without looking down on people who like a particular one) BoI gets particularly singled out. Hades has a tighter focus with less variables and even there I can tell how tedious or not a run is going to get based on if I hit a few real winners on the Gods/Hammer rolls. Like, how do you qualify "better" or "worse" based on degree of RNG? It seems to me it's just preferences, and I'll dip back into the somewhat fallacious popularity thing to say that wow, for a "bad" roguelike BoI did (and still does) pretty drat well as far as concurrent and peak numbers are concerned!

Again, there's nothing wrong with liking the tuning in Hades or the tuning in BoI but calling it "bad" or a sign of bad taste is absolutely not something that was substantiated in any meaningful way.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The way I see it, Hades and BoI are very different approaches to the meaning of roguelite. Never minding the difference between isometric action game and top down four way shooter, you have:

The Binding of Isaac: Absolutely embraces the chaos that so many items and combinations are possible. The power level of a run can wildly differ based on seed, luck, re-rolling (if you have dice), which bosses you get, whether you go for the true true true end or not.

Hades: Maintains a very controlled experience, with roughly similar level/stage progression throughout and a relatively consistent base power level. Embraces player choice to affect luck with the ability to force certain Gods to appear, choice in obstacles, while giving a more limited (but still pretty expansive) set of randomisation through a combination of room choice, God choice, boon choice, starting weapon choice, weapon upgrade choice. This makes runs relatively consistent, and makes it more of an arcade game with quick level ups that remixes itself every run

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've heard only good things about BoI but it also looks exactly like something I don't want to have to spend an hour staring at. But y'all enjoy what you enjoy, gently caress it.

Hades meanwhile just knocks it out of the park as far as presentation goes and the one guy hating it just because it's popular enough to have memes and fanart is just a weird rear end in a top hat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isaac hasnt been outdone at all. Theres an insane group of people on this forum who point to gamebreaking OP Isaac runs as a downside of the game's design. Just bizarre.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Isaac's aesthetic is very hit or miss and sadly a lot of people will never enjoy it because of that. It's still mechanically the best roguelite.

RNG in Isaac only determines how easy a run might be. Unlike its competitors, defense in Isaac is about having a really intense understanding of the nuances of the AI. The lack of an iframe dodge forced the designers to be much more thoughtful about how they designed enemies, and as a result the mastery curve is much more satisfying than the rest of the genre.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

The lack of an iframe dodge forced the designers to be much more thoughtful about how they designed enemies

And the thought was usually "hey how about a spider that makes more spiders".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Isaac hasnt been outdone at all. Theres an insane group of people on this forum who point to gamebreaking OP Isaac runs as a downside of the game's design. Just bizarre.

Noita's the only other roguelite I can think of that comes anywhere close to letting you break it as hard as Isaac, though I haven't looked too closely into that. Isaac will just outright beg you to go infinite sometimes.