Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

I love XCOM, but it is a bit of a shame that there isn't really such a thing as 'turn-based strategy' outside of XCOM and XCOM-likes right now. There's 4x and grand strategy, which is totally legitimate and I love it for what it is, but the last thing that could legitimately be called 'turn-based strategy' outside of those molds was... what, the last Heroes of Might and Magic, in 2015? And that wasn't a good HoMM game.

And related to this thread: I don't like that the HoMM games I've played (V and VI) have singleplayer campaigns basically only designed to reward rush strategies. I want to play slow, but there's literally no map in those games where that's a good idea.

There's Fire Emblem and its ilk of Japanese Turnbased RPGs which include Super Robot Wars and the SD Gundam games as well as stuff like Disgaea.

There's also a handful of them, though they probably fit under XCOM-like, under the Warhammer franchise most notably, imo, Warhammer 40k Mechanicus which is a lot smaller and simpler than XCOM but is a pretty neat little game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

There's Fire Emblem and its ilk of Japanese Turnbased RPGs which include Super Robot Wars and the SD Gundam games as well as stuff like Disgaea.

There's also a handful of them, though they probably fit under XCOM-like, under the Warhammer franchise most notably, imo, Warhammer 40k Mechanicus which is a lot smaller and simpler than XCOM but is a pretty neat little game.

Honestly, I have no idea how I forgot about SRPGs in my post. Fire Emblem is extremely my speed, right down to being willing to reward some good turtle play.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I suspect that just like Bioshock Infinite before it the random nature of the equipment leads to weird variations in difficulty/general efficacy. Made worse because a bunch of mods are exclusively tied to the DLCs, but also some of them can leak through into the main game via board countermeasures if you're lucky but also a bunch of the mods are just insultingly bad anyway.

I managed to get ammo recovery on dodge late in the main game which was fantastic. But I'm pretty sure most of my other attempts to get tier 6 mods were stupid poo poo like "recover ammo when taking damage from X enemy type while under a full moon".

IIRC the speedrun community for Bioshock Infinite has just accepted using a modded version of the game to give a specific piece of equipment because there's such a huge difference between getting the item and not that in order to level the playing field they just let people have it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the speedrun community for Bioshock Infinite has just accepted using a modded version of the game to give a specific piece of equipment because there's such a huge difference between getting the item and not that in order to level the playing field they just let people have it.

Yeah, the Hill Runner's Hat. It gives you a speed boost whenever your shield breaks which saves like eight minutes of time across the whole run, but there's only a 2% chance of it dropping. So you basically have to throw out the other 98% of runs based on random chance, since the run where you get the hat is just gonna blow them out of the water.

I suppose the other way they could've gone would be to ban the hat, but presumably speedrunners like lower times more than higher times.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I just finished playing through RE5 for the first time since like 2011, and it was actually a lot more fun than I remembered.

The thing dragging it down though is they put the Wesker & Jill fight right at the end of a terrible chapter with a slow moving corridor and a tunnel filled with lickers where the ai teammate manages to shoot all the ones carrying gems into the abyss.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cleretic posted:

I love XCOM, but it is a bit of a shame that there isn't really such a thing as 'turn-based strategy' outside of XCOM and XCOM-likes right now. There's 4x and grand strategy, which is totally legitimate and I love it for what it is, but the last thing that could legitimately be called 'turn-based strategy' outside of those molds was... what, the last Heroes of Might and Magic, in 2015? And that wasn't a good HoMM game.

And related to this thread: I don't like that the HoMM games I've played (V and VI) have singleplayer campaigns basically only designed to reward rush strategies. I want to play slow, but there's literally no map in those games where that's a good idea.

Mutant is really good, but it's got a big ole difficulty spike

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Horizon: Zero dawn

Aloy's facial animations leave an awful lot to be desired. She has three expressions: Pretending to be sad, moderately concerned, and hint of hint of smug.
Melee combat seems to be a complete waste of time outside of stealth, and stealth has a hard cap on how useful it is for killing things. Some of the mid-late machines can take upwards of four sneak attacks to kill.
Resource scarcity is only a thing in the super early game. By the time I left the tutorial area I basically never ran out of materials for anything beyond specific things needed for gear.
The climbing and running is somehow worse than in assassin's creed.

It's a decent game, and I enjoyed it, but there were a whole bunch of little things about it that just grated on me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a reason there's only a single melee attack: it's used to take down some weak enemies and that's it, the devs don't want you using it anymore than needed.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

JackSplater posted:

Horizon: Zero dawn
Melee combat seems to be a complete waste of time outside of stealth, and stealth has a hard cap on how useful it is for killing things. Some of the mid-late machines can take upwards of four sneak attacks to kill.
Resource scarcity is only a thing in the super early game. By the time I left the tutorial area I basically never ran out of materials for anything beyond specific things needed for gear.

Play on a harder difficulty.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dienes posted:

Play on a harder difficulty.

I heard that the toughest difficulty was the way to play the game (before the Ultimate or whatever was patched in), and I agree. Things are lethal and you really need to think about how to take down them robots.

(I mean obviously play on whatever difficulty you want, but if you're finding enemies die without you having to think about it, then yeah, raise the difficulty)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You're not really meant to use melee minus the occasional stealth kill or situational knockdown.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If you don't completely cripple a laser-breathed t-rex with Tearaway arrows then you're doing it wrong. Horizon isnt an RPG where you win by having higher numbers, but by exploiting enemy weaknesses.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I found some (the weak but fast) enemies definitely faster and easier to take down in melee combat. Dodge their charge, knock them over, stab 'em when they're down. Some of the bigger ones (those with annoying ranged attacks) too. Never felt melee to be useless. In fact, I always loved how it was a healthy mix of the two, depending on the situation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Taeke posted:

I found some (the weak but fast) enemies definitely faster and easier to take down in melee combat. Dodge their charge, knock them over, stab 'em when they're down. Some of the bigger ones (those with annoying ranged attacks) too. Never felt melee to be useless. In fact, I always loved how it was a healthy mix of the two, depending on the situation.

Aloy's heavy melee has good tracking and it eventually does enough damage to cripple a watcher or bandit on Ultra-Hard, but on the higher difficulties it gets dicier because the machines also have more stagger resistance. A fully upgraded spear will still take 3 heavy melees to knock down one Ravager. Not useless, but situational.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Took a break from big new games to play a bit of the Crash Bandicoot original trilogy rerelease, and drat a few of the level designs are bad. Were 3D levels where you're running towards the camera ever a good idea? Especially when you're being chased and have to dodge or jump over lava that you can't see much ahead of time, and everything is an instadeath. A lot of the forward or side-scrolling levels are still fine, but that style is among the most unfun designs I can think of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They nailed them in Crash 1 and 2 but I agree the camera is way too low for how fast you're running in 3. Moving it up and back a little would've helped a lot.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

3D before the analog stick was tricky and often poorly done.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

They nailed them in Crash 1 and 2 but I agree the camera is way too low for how fast you're running in 3. Moving it up and back a little would've helped a lot.

I always start in 3 because I figure it'd be the most polished, then I get frustrated at stuff I don't like in the first world. Guess I'll go back a bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's important to remember that nobody had the slightest idea how 3D was supposed to work. There had been a few 3D games in the past, wireframe stuff mostly, but for the most part it was trial and error.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You can really tell that in stuff like the jet ski level, it's just rough. I find that gen pretty touch to get back into in general, the Crash games in particular seem to be on the more reasonable end when they're sticking to the simpler stuff that minimizes actual 3D movement.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Crash 3 has too many gimmick/vehicle levels in my opinion. Until the recent release of Crash 4, I've always felt like 2 had the best mix of gimmick and platforming.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
It's a very little thing dragging a game down, but in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Eivor never seems to say anything to their horse. In Syndicate and Odyssey they did, even if was just "Come on!", "Let's go!" and things like that. It just makes things oddly silent if you're riding around the countryside compared to the same in Odyssey or the carriages in Syndicate (I can't remember if Bayek did or not in Origins)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It just makes things oddly silent if you're riding around the countryside compared to the same in Odyssey or the carriages in Syndicate (I can't remember if Bayek did or not in Origins)

as Senu, you're too far away to hear anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a very little thing dragging a game down, but in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Eivor never seems to say anything to their horse. In Syndicate and Odyssey they did, even if was just "Come on!", "Let's go!" and things like that. It just makes things oddly silent if you're riding around the countryside compared to the same in Odyssey or the carriages in Syndicate (I can't remember if Bayek did or not in Origins)

Eivor is just so much more subdued in general than I expected, outside of battle. It's a good game in its own right but I'm still trying to get through the mental whiplash after expecting a chatty Viking Kassandra conquering up the place.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Eivor is just so much more subdued in general than I expected, outside of battle. It's a good game in its own right but I'm still trying to get through the mental whiplash after expecting a chatty Viking Kassandra conquering up the place.

I like that Eivor is quite thoughtful and offers good life advice somewhat poetically on occasion. But yeah, very different to Alexios/Kassandra.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Assassin's Creed keeps putting chase sequences in quests and not a one of them is an actual chase. You're never able to actually catch a target. You have to follow a quest marker for a few minutes and then a cutscene triggers. Every time.

Why even put chases in the game if none of them works like one? It's not like the world is clamoring for chase scenes and this was the only way they could fulfil a demand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've never minded those because they often had some fun visual setpieces, like I enjoyed the chase at the end of Assassins Creed 3 because of stuff like running through a burning boat. They're basically an excuse to blow up a whole level without destroying the flow of the rest of the game or locking out optional collectibles because "Welp now that building's not there anymore!" I always just saw those sequences in games as "If this was just a cutscene you'd complain about it, so have fun playing through the glorified cinematic".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In AssCreed: Odyssey an eyepatch or a small metalband provides more protection than a helmet that covers your entire head. Also, you can carry around a whole forest's worth of olive wood but if you carry one eyepatch too many you became overloaded and can only walk slowly.

I also can't help but wonder why there are so many severed hands laying around and why there's a market for them.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Alhazred posted:

I also can't help but wonder why there are so many severed hands laying around and why there's a market for them.

They're handy. :shrug:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

For some reason, when NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered on Switch can't connect to Autolog, it'll keep turning wireless controllers off. Can be hard to even quit the game when it starts looping the L+R dialog, you have to press Home immediately after reconnecting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I also can't help but wonder why there are so many severed hands laying around

https://i.imgur.com/GxqoU0L.mp4
There probably aren't as many as you think, they're just pretty mobile

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ghost of Tsushima was really good about this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

christmas boots posted:

Ghost of Tsushima was really good about this

Upsettingly good. I came to love my horse in that game more than even the one in RDR2.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mass Effect Andromeda has a laundry list of little things draggin' it down, but cruising around the world maps was not one of them. the party banter was really good and was the primary motivator for switching up my crew just because i wanted to see how everyone got along.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm pretty tired of games that start with a long load time just to get to a "press a" screen, then loads again to the main menu. Why do that? If there's gonna be a long rear end load time I'd like to be able to get up and get a drink or something and expect to have the load time over by the time I get back.

Really glad the next generation consoles are doing away with that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Just wait for a year, and its back.

I mean, with Xbones and PS4 they implemented the idea that you can start the game while it still installs/loads the other parts of the game, and I am yet to see one that implements this beyond setting up the screen sizes and other non-gameplay stuff.

At least now that the loading screen minigames -patent by Namco Bandai is dead, so you might see something else than the settings-screen or tutorial video for the first bootup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The heretofore unknown #blessed picture/Weird Headline combo

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
This is more a criticism of a genre than an individual game, but I've been watching Star Trek Discovery recently and it made me crave a space game where I could jump in my ship, maybe order my crew around a bit, and explore the stars, come across weird and wonderful bits of space and engage in the occasional bit of space combat. Just chilling out exploring the galaxy, feeling that sense of being out in the unknown, wondering what mystery/disaster awaits me over the horizon.

Having searched now for a few weeks, I can't seem to find anything like it. FTL? A lot of the right components but a dreaded rogue-like with a stupid "keep moving or die" mechanic, and an RNG dependent final boss. Elite dangerous? Great at the ship sim stuff, totally shallow universe with no real exploration or variety (I am intrigued by the new dlc). No man's sky? Super samey exploration and mining loop, silly cartoony graphics. It's got all the illusion of exploration with none of the fun. The Starpoint Gemini series is the closest I've got so far and each game has serious flaws and caveats. And don't even mention the X series, which best as I can tell is determined to turn itself into a spreadsheet simulator at the earliest possible opportunity.

Having browsed and tested so many of these now, the thing that strikes me the most is this insistence of the genre that the most fun thing about being in space must be trading/hauling/mining materials, dogfighting pirates or picking a side in an intergalactic war. Surely the fun in being out in the unknowns of space is..... Exploring the unknowns of space? I'd love some recommendations if anyone has any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RGX posted:

This is more a criticism of a genre than an individual game, but I've been watching Star Trek Discovery recently and it made me crave a space game where I could jump in my ship, maybe order my crew around a bit, and explore the stars, come across weird and wonderful bits of space and engage in the occasional bit of space combat. Just chilling out exploring the galaxy, feeling that sense of being out in the unknown, wondering what mystery/disaster awaits me over the horizon.

Having searched now for a few weeks, I can't seem to find anything like it. FTL? A lot of the right components but a dreaded rogue-like with a stupid "keep moving or die" mechanic, and an RNG dependent final boss. Elite dangerous? Great at the ship sim stuff, totally shallow universe with no real exploration or variety (I am intrigued by the new dlc). No man's sky? Super samey exploration and mining loop, silly cartoony graphics. It's got all the illusion of exploration with none of the fun. The Starpoint Gemini series is the closest I've got so far and each game has serious flaws and caveats. And don't even mention the X series, which best as I can tell is determined to turn itself into a spreadsheet simulator at the earliest possible opportunity.

Having browsed and tested so many of these now, the thing that strikes me the most is this insistence of the genre that the most fun thing about being in space must be trading/hauling/mining materials, dogfighting pirates or picking a side in an intergalactic war. Surely the fun in being out in the unknowns of space is..... Exploring the unknowns of space? I'd love some recommendations if anyone has any.

I don't think it has a crew or anything you can talk to but Outer Wilds is all about exploring space at least.

But yeah you're not the first to pine for this, I had a friend who was talking about how weird it was that there's no Final Fantasy Tactics Esq 'Send people out to space to explore' and make ships and all that jazz game.

When I end up exhausting a game's fun I wind up wondering about it with more mechanics in a theoretical sequel. Like, for FTL, I wouldn't mind a more well rounded combat system inside the ship. You get suits they're fireproof so you can invade burning ships and fight safely. Better weapons that put people on equal ground or above them if they're like the mantis, stuff like that.