Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Office is good and I enjoy watching occasional clips on youtube to brighten up my day not whole episodes but now I watched The Morning Show where Steve Carrell plays one of the worst people in the world and watching Office clips with him in them is less enjoyable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Snowy posted:

I liked the it crowd but don’t know anything about Graham Linehan so I did a quick google to see what you meant

Linehan has completely lost it, he's not just someone who happens to be anti-trans, being anti-trans is his entire existence at this point

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Arrested Development, I suppose ironically given the title, is another show that has really not aged well wrt transphobia.

Hey remember the time a main character spent a whole episode wearing a shirt with a transphobic slur on it and all the jokes were about how "he" wasn't "passing".

It was everywhere back then, but it was a constant background joke in 30 Rock. Like, its noticably more present than anything else from the era that I have rewatched

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

repiv posted:

Linehan has completely lost it, he's not just someone who happens to be anti-trans, being anti-trans is his entire existence at this point

John Cleese is the same way now. It must be something in the water where posh Brits live

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

even futurama had some phobic jokes, like it was the hottest poo poo in 2000s to joke about gays and trans women

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Who What Now posted:

John Cleese is the same way now. It must be something in the water where posh Brits live

John Cleese is simultaneously the least surprising and most upsetting on that list

I feel like the rest of the Flying Circus disowned him tho, so Monty Python is still cool? :pray:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RustyKnight posted:

even futurama had some phobic jokes, like it was the hottest poo poo in 2000s to joke about gays and trans women

Also the 80s and 90s. It just got worse once they realized they couldn't target racial minorities anymore

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

RFC2324 posted:

John Cleese is simultaneously the least surprising and most upsetting on that list

I feel like the rest of the Flying Circus disowned him tho, so Monty Python is still cool? :pray:

Eric Idle is also poo poo IIRC

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Please post more.
There's one about firing people before Christmas that I need.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Memes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only cool member of monty python was Graham Chapman

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm getting mixed messages from my various sources, does the new Animaniacs make a trans joke? :ohdear:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Life of Brian deals with both crossdressing and trans issues. I haven't watched it recently, but I'm going to go ahead and say that the character who's a trans woman because she wants to have babies, and is told "where are you gonna keep the kid? In a box?" is probably not the best portrayal.

Also the peak crossdressing humour with men playing women disguised as men.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Who What Now posted:

He lives in the Caribbean

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

I'm getting mixed messages from my various sources, does the new Animaniacs make a trans joke? :ohdear:

The only thing even close is a joke in the theme song that they're more gender inclusive and gender neutral with a visual gag of all three of them on signs for bathroom doors. The very next line is joking that this will piss of internet trolls.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Data Graham posted:

Haven't watched the whole thing, but the intro mocking people for having an issue with the bathroom thing is a positive sign

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nexus6 posted:

He lives in the Caribbean

Has he hosed a whale?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

so I guys brought up the nbc lineup but glossed over the best show of the bunch imo Community

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m trying to get through community but it’s way campier than I can usually handle

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Data Graham posted:

Wakko is being adopted by some segments of the fandom as a non-binary icon, so they seem to be okay with it if that helps your assessment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"(cis)man dressed as a woman" has, unfortunately, been mined for comedy since mass media began pretty much. It's nice that this finally seems to be changing

Remember that there was a whole bit on Friends where Chandler's mum was trans. Like that was it, that was a joke in and of itself. She was trans and he was embarrassed, audiences laugh.

e: of course the show continually called her his dad, too

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Nov 22, 2020

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dungeon Ecology posted:

so I guys brought up the nbc lineup but glossed over the best show of the bunch imo Community

I was just thinking about Community, looked it up, and discovered there was a season 6, which contains an episode where the life lesson is pretty much "racism is ok in joke form"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The gently caress is going on with Linehan's head. Like, his physical head. Its like his eyes are at odd angles and his lower face was stuck on wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

30 rock was okay then very good then extremely good

community was okay then very good then very bad

the office was very bad then very good then okay

parks and rec was okay then very good then okay

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

marshmallow creep posted:

The gently caress is going on with Linehan's head. Like, his physical head. Its like his eyes are at odd angles and his lower face was stuck on wrong.
transphobia

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not even once

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

RandomFerret posted:

The only cool member of monty python was Graham Chapman

The only good Monty Python is a dead Monty Python

edit: Terry Gilliam made the one joke
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/terry-gilliam-interview-harvey-weinstein-victims-metoo-race-a9269136.html

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

bike tory posted:

"(cis)man dressed as a woman" has, unfortunately, been mined for comedy since mass media began pretty much. It's nice that this finally seems to be changing

That poo poo goes back to Shakespeare and earlier (e.g. Norse and Greek mythology).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So that makes every one aside from the dead ones and Palin pretty shiite eh?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I was just thinking about Community, looked it up, and discovered there was a season 6, which contains an episode where the life lesson is pretty much "racism is ok in joke form"

If its the one I think it is it was more 'some dickhead doing edgy comedy isn't worth causing massive chaos to stop' and was just an excuse for everything to go to poo poo and have them read each others emails. It wasn't a very deep episode. I don't think there was a moral either way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

That poo poo goes back to Shakespeare and earlier (e.g. Norse and Greek mythology).

I think Loki has been appropriated as a trans hero because of (for instance) the time he disguised himself as a female horse (how do I not know the English word for a female horse?) and got pregnant with Sleipnir. But mythology is super weird, and I'm willing to bet a lot of it has various bigotry baked in.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Palin is good

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

He's Irish. Seriously, I've been to Ireland and many Irish people have that sort of weird, wind-swept, bedraggled, "oh uh is it 5pm already?" face. Joke was on me though because before I opened my mouth people just assumed I was also Irish.

BonHair posted:

I think Loki has been appropriated as a trans hero because of (for instance) the time he disguised himself as a female horse (how do I not know the English word for a female horse?) and got pregnant with Sleipnir. But mythology is super weird, and I'm willing to bet a lot of it has various bigotry baked in.

You're looking for the word "mare".

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

Wakko is being adopted by some segments of the fandom as a non-binary icon, so they seem to be okay with it if that helps your assessment.

Sighing with relief as I tick a box on my checklist of non-problematic elements. Time to get very invested in this cartoon for 9 year olds

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it real, or did I imagine a recording of Mr. Sandman with the lyrics "man car door hook hand"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Is it real, or did I imagine a recording of Mr. Sandman with the lyrics "man car door hook hand"?

oh no you didn't imagine it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqdjaz2Upg

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

chintu you absolute bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011