Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ryanrs posted:

So it's my understanding that siphoning gas out of the tank is not so viable on modern cars. What about my 2000 Toyota Sienna (1st gen)?

I'm filling out my tool kit and I'm brainstorming ideas for transferring gasoline between vehicles, because I've had to do that once. I kind of don't want to carry a can of gas in my van because it stinks and might be an accident/fire risk. Or maybe that's not an issue for well-made steel cans?

I am not worried about personally running out of gas. I keep my tank topped off when I'm out adventuring. This is strictly for other people I run across, so I'm not especially motivated to spend $$$ or lots of effort. OTOH, if a 10 ft length of tubing will do the job in a pinch, I will carry one.

e: *not* worried about personally running out of gas

Keeping a small can of gasoline to help out others is going to be a whole hell of a lot easier than attempting to siphon some fuel out of the tank.

A good quality, properly sealed and secured jerry can will do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It may not be legal to carry a can of gas in your vehicle.

Motronic posted:

The cap/filler isn't the problem with siphoning gas out of modern cars. It's literally anti-siphon foot valves to keep this from happening as well as fuel from leaking out in a rollover. These are located in the tank. No I'm not going to tell anyone here how to bypass them.

I learned about this when replacing the tank in my son's '01 Accord. It had a seam leak & it was winter. After a couple of fruitless hours trying all of the things Motronic is inferring might work (but don't), I did what any sane* person would do and removed the sending unit & pumped the tank dry with a $7.99 battery-operated siphon pump from Harbor Freight**.

*no

**No more playing the lottery for me

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Javid posted:

Necroing from pages ago now that I can actually dig into this issue

The VSS (both old and new) just has a square shaft on it that fits into a square socket on the rear of the transmission. I did note the orientation of the old one and put the new one the same way, but it doesn't appear to matter all that much.

The wiring looks fine and isn't touching anything between the sensor and when it disappears into a conduit with a billion other wires going into the engine bay. I can't find the same two wire colors on the other end, though. Took apart the plug going into the VSS and there seems to be some amount of oil or ATF intrusion into it, dunno if that would be making GBS threads up the signal in this manner but merits mention.

The odo works SOMETIMES. When the speed needle is indicating a speed, even if it's wrong, the odo remains accurate to the extent that I can clock it by mileposts. Sometimes the needle is pegged at 0 or infinity, during which times the odo doesn't move. occasionally it will spaz out and the odo will spin up by some amount while I'm not moving, but it seems to roughly resemble it catching up on distance that it missed previously when it wasn't registering at all.

Given that dash clusters for this thing are out of production and $gently caress, are there any better options here than shotgunning one at this? I'd be happy if even the odometer worked normally, since it's more reliable than the fuel gauge.

Oh right, I'm sorry, I led you on a wild goose chase there. I'm used to the design they started using in 93 or 94 on various models where the VSS is the entire unit that plugs into the trans, and you have to pull the speedo gear off it and move it to the new one and clock that correctly going in. You have the slightly older design that's literally the old mechanical speedo cable drive assembly with a vss unit screwed into it where the mechanical speedo cable used to go. The only thing I can think of is that the drive gear has simply worn out, it takes one bolt to check it but you may need a new oring seal putting it back together and, yeah, gotta clock it right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Trying to revive a friend's 96 (? might be a 95?) Maxima.

It's been parked for ~5 years. She knows it runs like crap. I know it runs like REAL crap (I helped move it out of the garage it'd been parked in forever); it can't idle on its own even in park/neutral, the CEL pops on immediately even if it's the first start after hooking up a battery, and it usually takes 3-5 attempts to get it to start.

I know a lot of this is very likely ancient gas. Let's assume for the moment that old gas is the only issue, what would you look at to bring a 90s Maxima back to life? I'm guessing fuel pump, fuel filter at the least (though thankfully the tank is nearly empty), all other fluids, new battery, new tires, etc.

Her BF's car just shat out an engine, so she's hoping to get this tagged and back on the road for him. Emissions shouldn't be an issue as it'll be past the cutoff year for smog here by the time it's actually running (if we get it running).

Sidenote: TBH I kinda suspect just the cost of tires and getting it caught up on fluids + timing belt will far outweigh the value of the car, despite it being pretty low mileage and in good shape visually. It's on the original timing belt. :stare: (I kinda suspect it may have jumped a tooth on one cam with how it ran last year... I haven't pulled codes on it though, can't keep the drat thing running long enough to pull codes without throwing a battery at it, all electrics die as soon as the engine stalls).

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Trying to repaint a body panel and I'm getting this discolouration, no number of layers improves it. I'm doing it outside and it's about 8°C and fairly humid, I guess that's what's causing it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

Trying to revive a friend's 96 (? might be a 95?) Maxima.

It's been parked for ~5 years. She knows it runs like crap. I know it runs like REAL crap (I helped move it out of the garage it'd been parked in forever); it can't idle on its own even in park/neutral, the CEL pops on immediately even if it's the first start after hooking up a battery, and it usually takes 3-5 attempts to get it to start.

I know a lot of this is very likely ancient gas. Let's assume for the moment that old gas is the only issue, what would you look at to bring a 90s Maxima back to life? I'm guessing fuel pump, fuel filter at the least (though thankfully the tank is nearly empty), all other fluids, new battery, new tires, etc.

In what condition is the battery that you're using? If it can't generate a consistent minimum current, the car will run like poo poo.

I'd run some kind of injector cleaner in it. There's likely all kinds shellac on the wet fuely bits.

Make sure the air intake isn't harboring a mouse nest / obstruction blocking airflow.

You likely can't tell more until it runs some.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

Trying to repaint a body panel and I'm getting this discolouration, no number of layers improves it. I'm doing it outside and it's about 8°C and fairly humid, I guess that's what's causing it?

Besides the temperature, the first thing I'd be looking for with something like that is contamination. Probably silicone.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Motronic posted:

Besides the temperature, the first thing I'd be looking for with something like that is contamination. Probably silicone.

Thanks, how can I identify this/rule it out?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

In what condition is the battery that you're using? If it can't generate a consistent minimum current, the car will run like poo poo.

I'd run some kind of injector cleaner in it. There's likely all kinds shellac on the wet fuely bits.

Make sure the air intake isn't harboring a mouse nest / obstruction blocking airflow.

You likely can't tell more until it runs some.

Yeah not even gonna try until there's a working battery in the mix. The last time we moved it, we just disconnected the battery and hooked the jumper cables up directly to the battery cables - it was enough to get the car to start, out of the garage, and to a place where it could be towed. Shut it down before pulling the cables, but that was a 3 person process (1 in each car, one to hold the cables to make sure they didn't touch anything). We did try jumping it after that with the battery back in the mix, and it did start, but it only ran for about 30 seconds. Gauges went apeshit immediately. Once it died the interior lights faded to nothing within a couple of seconds.

Probably just chunk my own battery in it for test purposes to see if we can even get it to run, along with some fresh gas in the tank. A 12V car battery is a 12V car battery so long as you don't mix up the terminals.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 18, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Grakkus posted:

Thanks, how can I identify this/rule it out?

I mean, I'd start with the environment you're working in. Not knowing how you did or didn't prep this surface for paint, where you are painting, what else is in the area I'd just be taking a shot in the dark.

I'd suggest you need to let this cure, sand, prime, prep properly and do it again. It hardly matters what did it this time as long as it doesn't happen again.

It's not even clear how much you are painting that worked successfully so that's another reason it's hard to give advice.

Also, I'm at total amateur painter. I've done like 5 full cars over the years and a lot of panels.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Deteriorata posted:

Keeping a small can of gasoline to help out others is going to be a whole hell of a lot easier than attempting to siphon some fuel out of the tank.

A good quality, properly sealed and secured jerry can will do fine.

Don't carry gas in your car. Pay $10/year for roadside assistance through insurance and let them bring the gas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

Don't carry gas in your car. Pay $10/year for roadside assistance through insurance and let them bring the gas.

Roadside isn't going to help you when you're on something only legally defined as "a road".

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Did 2000 Toyotas like my Sienna have fancy anti-siphon valves? I'm mostly interested in taking gas out of my van and putting it into a stranger's car. (This is why Im not very invested in having this capability if it's a pain in the rear end.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They've been around since at least the early to mid 90s. Depends on the car, but a 2000, yes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ram van again. This fucker

Has turned into cheese with age and oil spatter, and is so loose in its barb fitting that the g-forces of normal driving will let air fart in. A zip tie will improve this, but not entirely eliminate the issue that brought it to my attention (the cruise making GBS threads out at random)

Is this a part I can dream of finding, or will I have to hamfist this with some kind of tubing? I did some medium effort phone googling (because of course this pops up 900 miles from home in mid road trip) and found plenty of the generic push-on vac elbows but nothing with the double female barb configuration this has

Bonus: the barb it goes on, which appears to have been precision engineered to be invisible from almost every possible angle, and impossible to access with any tool

Javid fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 20, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you can find a generic 90 degree barb of the correct diameter, could you macgyver something up with some random fittings from a hydraulic/pneumatics supply store. Like, instead of a "V" type fitting, you could probably find a "T" barbed fitting that would work.
I don't know how feasible that is when you're in the middle of a road trip, but once you get home, it should be easy enough.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I put new pads and rotors on my car last week. This week, the front left one has started making a noise when I let off the gas and coast. It's a rhythmic tok-tok-tok-tok that obviously corresponds to wheel speed. I assume it's the pads rattling because it goes away when I apply the brakes. For some reason that's not clear to me, it also doesn't happen under acceleration, only when I'm maintaining speed or coasting down.

What did I mess up and how can I fix it?

I suspect it might be because I reused the old springs, which, well, this is the stupid questions thread after all

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 20, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sagebrush posted:

I put new pads and rotors on my car last week. This week, the front left one has started making a noise when I let off the gas and coast. It's a rhythmic tok-tok-tok-tok that obviously corresponds to wheel speed. I assume it's the pads rattling because it goes away when I apply the brakes. For some reason that's not clear to me, it also doesn't happen under acceleration, only when I'm maintaining speed or coasting down.

I suspect it might be because I reused the old springs, which, well, this is the stupid questions thread after all

A similar sound happened to me after a front brake job when I didn't tighten down the caliper bolts enough. Not saying thats the problem, just something to check..

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Truly stupid question resulting from truly stupid action here:

There’s a knot of about 3 inches of 3/16” plastic tubing lodged in my 2016 Civic’s (EX 2.0L Sedan) oil dipstick tube. It might be possible to extract from the top. It’s pretty close. But if the extraction fails and the tubing falls down into the oil reservoir, would it be blocked by a filter from entering the parts of the engine where it could really gently caress poo poo up? Could I expect it to come out from the drain pan?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Should be able to remove the dipstick tube. Might be one bolt or clip holding it and just press fit at the bottom. Just a general answer though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That’s what I definitely would’ve done for my 99 Civic, and I can’t say for sure because there’s a big plastic cover obscuring the truth, but it looks like the dipstick shaft’s base is inside the engine block...??

Can’t find the part online anywhere to reference but I’m just using google.

I’ll be taking it in to the shop on Monday, about to admit defeat. The obstruction is stuck like glue. I could probably tear it up with a drill and then flush all the oil, but it seems risky.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Truly stupid question resulting from truly stupid action here:

There’s a knot of about 3 inches of 3/16” plastic tubing lodged in my 2016 Civic’s (EX 2.0L Sedan) oil dipstick tube. It might be possible to extract from the top. It’s pretty close. But if the extraction fails and the tubing falls down into the oil reservoir, would it be blocked by a filter from entering the parts of the engine where it could really gently caress poo poo up? Could I expect it to come out from the drain pan?

tell us about the truly stupid action pls :allears:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

owlhawk911 posted:

tell us about the truly stupid action pls :allears:

I wonder how many pencils it would take to drive that plastic bit out of the tube

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That’s what I definitely would’ve done for my 99 Civic, and I can’t say for sure because there’s a big plastic cover obscuring the truth, but it looks like the dipstick shaft’s base is inside the engine block...??

Can’t find the part online anywhere to reference but I’m just using google.

I’ll be taking it in to the shop on Monday, about to admit defeat. The obstruction is stuck like glue. I could probably tear it up with a drill and then flush all the oil, but it seems risky.

TELL THE STORY SMERSH MOUTH

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Are more expensive Headlight globes worth the money?

I can get these for $25 a bulb
https://www.autobarn.com.au/philips-light-bulb-el01932-12972llecob1

Or these for ~$47 a bulb
https://www.autobarn.com.au/philips-h7-x-tremevision-100-12v-55w-px26d-twin-pack-12972xvsm

Am I going to get considerably more light for almost double to money?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm guessing an attempt to drain the oil using a long hose and a vacuum oil removal device was made but the hose tangled inside the crankcase and now will not come back out.

Kind of like this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.menshealth.com/health/amp22091542/boy-gets-usb-cable-stuck-in-penis/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thank god the end of that url was exposed before clicking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slothrop posted:

Are more expensive Headlight globes worth the money?

I can get these for $25 a bulb
https://www.autobarn.com.au/philips-light-bulb-el01932-12972llecob1

Or these for ~$47 a bulb
https://www.autobarn.com.au/philips-h7-x-tremevision-100-12v-55w-px26d-twin-pack-12972xvsm

Am I going to get considerably more light for almost double to money?

Those are at the far opposite end of the spectrum. The "Ecobulb" line puts out even less light (and uses very slightly less power) than a regular bulb; I thought Phillips had dropped them entirely TBH, I haven't seen those in years. Mainly targeting Prius owners who want to make their cars as efficient as possible.

Having used Xtremevision bulbs, they offer a slight improvement, but they don't last nearly as long as a plain bulb (expect a year or so), and they wind up dimming to about the level of a regular bulb after a bit of use. There will be a noticeable difference between them and Ecobulbs, but not so much between them and your plain ol' headlight bulb.

My 2 cents: make sure your headlamp housings are nice and clear (no yellowing - grab a polish and clearcoat kit if they are), and slap a set of regular bulbs in. Halogens do dim as they get hours put on them, and the original bulbs in cars are known to last forfuckingever (I've pulled 10+ year old headlight bulbs out of a few cars now).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 23, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I did some research ages ago and I think General Electric made the best bulbs that also don't burn out in 4 months. You are paying a ton in longevity for the extra few % of light.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I put new pads and rotors on my car last week. This week, the front left one has started making a noise

After putting a note on my phone "go back and retighten lug nuts after driving around a few days," I forgot to do that, and two of the nuts were finger loose and a third was getting there. :downsgun:

Listen to your conscience

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I wonder how common that is. I've never had anything else than the torque wrench either immediately clicking or very minor turns before being at spec.
I do get nervous about it until I've checked it though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wonder how common that is. I've never had anything else than the torque wrench either immediately clicking or very minor turns before being at spec.
I do get nervous about it until I've checked it though.

Depends on the wheels/nuts.

This was "drat near every time" common on my '97 F150 with the aluminum off road package wheels. To the point there was a recall of the nuts. The new ones......were not much better.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well this one is a 2002 Ford with aluminum wheels. I wonder if there's some commonality there. Could be the same nuts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

are car dealers buying used cars for OK prices right now?

I don't want to go through private sales due to covid concerns. Until covid is over, we're only using one car, so is it a good idea to sell the second car now so we don't have to deal with maintenance on it?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Chainclaw posted:

are car dealers buying used cars for OK prices right now?

I don't want to go through private sales due to covid concerns. Until covid is over, we're only using one car, so is it a good idea to sell the second car now so we don't have to deal with maintenance on it?

Other than keeping the car on a battery tender, and maybe driving it once a month, what maintenance are you doing on a parked car?

My insurance agent let me suspend coverage for 6 months, but that only works because it’s paid off.

If you sell this car, then need another one in half a year, will you get boned on sales tax? My state only gives you 90 days to subtract sales tax from a vehicle sale and subsequent purchase

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Other than keeping the car on a battery tender, and maybe driving it once a month, what maintenance are you doing on a parked car?

My insurance agent let me suspend coverage for 6 months, but that only works because it’s paid off.

If you sell this car, then need another one in half a year, will you get boned on sales tax? My state only gives you 90 days to subtract sales tax from a vehicle sale and subsequent purchase

I'm roughly planning for no change in the situation for at least another 7 months, and I'm expecting 2 more years. My WFH situation is officially extended to June or July, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes longer than that.

The car that's driven more has the fun features, a backup camera and Apple Carplay, so I have the feeling that once we're back in a world of needing 2 cars, we would want to upgrade the second car anyways.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My '04 Kia Amanti/Opirus threw a new warning light today (the check engine light has been on for awhile, because the tach sensor crapped out, still runs fine, so meh), a picture of a lightbulb with an x over it. The manual says that means a taillight is out. I went out and looked at the lights, and the rear end end was fine (I didn't have an assistant to check the brake lights, but could see the glow in the mirrors), but the front ...

That's just with the headlights on in normal mode, the inner ones are the high beams, and all four come on when I flick the stalk and the blue indicator lights up on the dash. gently caress car wiring.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
2015 Nissan Juke Nismo . 115k miles

The vicinity of the Rear, Driver side wheel is HOT when I shut the car off . The smell is that of when you leave an empty kettle on the stove. I suspect it’s a wheel bearing but there is no noise and no resistance when driving .

Does that sound like a wheel bearing ? How much is this likely to cost ?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 24, 2020

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr.Caligari posted:

2015 Nissan Juke Nismo . 115k miles

The vicinity of the Rear, Driver side wheel is HOT when I shut the car off . The smell is that of when you leave an empty kettle on the stove. I suspect it’s a wheel bearing but there is no noise and no resistance when driving .

Does that sound like a wheel bearing ? How much is this likely to cost ?

How are your brakes? Stuck caliper or parking brake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

^^^ What eddie said. That sounds like a sticky caliper.