Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hell's Gate

I'm curious. When was the first time you served alongside Starfleet?
The Battle of Sibiran.
Never heard of it.
This was last year, before the Romulans activated the Iconian gateway on New Romulus. We were still at war with the Federation, but the Borg were launching probes and raids throughout Romulan space and even into Federation and Imperial space. The Federation had built Starbase 82 orbiting a planet in the Sibiran system during the 24th century for scientific research. With the Borg threat growing, Starfleet refitted the starbase into a listening post for the Borg. I was commanding the Boreth at the time, and we'd reached an unofficial agreement with Starfleet. They shared Starbase 82's data, we didn't attack the Sibiran system.
And the Borg did attack?
When the system suddenly fell silent, we assumed so. The theater commanders for Starfleet and the KDF agreed to send in a joint task force to investigate. We believed the worst case scenario was that the Borg had assimilated the starbase.
Was the worst case scenario true?
It was worse.

The Borg had not only taken Starbase 82, they had built a transwarp gate, using assimilated portions of the starbase as raw materials. An operational Borg transwarp gate in the Sibiran system would let them strike anywhere in Romulan space, and even deep into the Federation and the Empire, without warning. Fortunately, although the gateway was operational, Borg construction was still underway and that made the gate vulnerable. First, though, we had to deal with the Borg squadron that had taken the base.

With the squadron destroyed, we could commence assault on the gateway complex.

The Borg use specialized generator satellites to convert raw materials into masses of nanites and units of base matter, which they then feed into specialized conversion stations that convert the broken down matter and nanites into whatever form the Collective desires.
I thought the Borg just assimilated things in place and used them as-is.
They always do to gain a foothold, but when they have time to entrench they like to do things this way, I think to bring everything up to a unified standard with Borg technology and infrastructure. This construction system of theirs works very quickly and is horribly efficient. Operational conversion stations are virtually impossible to destroy as part of this system, they simply repair themselves too quickly, and the whole system creates a very powerful shield system around the object of construction. But there is a flaw in the system: the generator satellites cannot be shielded due to the nature of their task, and without the constantly inflow of materials from the satellites, the conversion stations become vulnerable.

We discovered at Sibiran, though, that in addition to calling in reinforcements through the transwarp gate, the Borg also brought in what Starfleet calls nanite probes. Mass barges, basically, seething masses of repair and construction nanites, raw materials, and engines to rapidly repair damaged infrastructure. We didn't quite know what they were for at the time, but Starfleet had the same instinct I did: a Borg ship moving with purpose that's not shooting you is probably up to something vastly more concerning than shooting you.

That might have become quite the war of attrition if we had ignored the probes.

Were you unhappy to be fighting alongside the Federation after fighting against them so much?
I do not like the Federation, Aoede. I think the Federation is a den of hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance that compartmentalizes itself too much to be capable of living up to its ideals. I respect those ideals tremendously, but in my eyes either the Federation needs to set its own house in order or be more honest to the galaxy about what it is. That, however, has nothing to do with Starfleet.
You are the first Klingon to be awarded the Federation Medal of Honor, for ending the Iconian War.
And it was the most boring ceremony of my life to date. Dear nonexistent gods long dead, and I thought the Deferi could talk without saying anything.

What about the Borg? There was that Cooperative captain you slept with after the end of the Kobali crisis.
I'd been drinking, more than usual, and I was angry and frustrated, more than usual. I was looking for a release.
Relax. I'm Risan, remember? I'm not judging how you vent stress. I'm just judging the 'a Borg Cooperative captain' bit specifically. Did she have... special enhancements?

In any event, taking down both nanite transformers bumped the Sibiran system up in the Collective's threat assessment and a more substantial reinforcement was dispatched.

You're cute when you try to change the subject. Question, though. In these external camera shots, what's that weird organic-looking ship? Is that... Starfleet? Undine?
I have no idea. It showed up when we engaged the Borg and our sensors couldn't get a lock on it at all. But it was shooting the Borg and not us, so I chose to not ask.
You're really not curious?
Of course I was - and am - curious, but at the time I was more concerned with the Borg. We elected to destroy the now vulnerable transwarp gateway before the Borg dreadnought, to prevent further reinforcement.

I did ask on official channels what that ship was after the battle. High Command's answer was approximately 'some weird Federation nonsense, don't worry about it.'
And did you worry about it?
Let's just say I've lately developed a concern about strange people and stranger ships dropping into my life out of nowhere.

Er, that's a lot bigger than any Borg cube I've seen before.
Tactical cube, not only larger but much more heavily armed and armored proportionate to its size. That was the first tactical cube we've confirmed has been deployed to the Beta Quadrant. They're not mobile shipyards and C&C nodes like unimatrix command ships, they're built purely for war against species deemed a legitimate military threat to the Collective.
That doesn't exactly reassure me.

Even a transwarp core breach didn't physically break up that ship. Gutted its internals, but Task Force Omega had a field day with that thing over the next few months.
Hold on, Task Force Omega? The Borg hunters? This was an Omega operation?
Aoede, our little joint squadron was Task Force Omega, or rather what would become Omega. The Battle of Sibiran convinced Starfleet, the KDF, and the Republic Navy to convene a permanent joint unit to respond to the Borg threat. From that moment until I was given the Najlu'jaj and sent to Defera, I was part of Task Force Omega. It's even where I met a recurring pain in my rear named Malthis.
Huh. Your file said you'd fought the Borg extensively. I never thought to ask if you were that particular brand of crazy.
You should have let me finish the story. We weren't done at Sibiran yet. There was still the matter of Starbase 82.
You went down there?!
To sweep for survivors and evaluate whether the station could be salvaged.

Oh, this was before you lost your eye?
And my original legs. I lost those with the Najlu'jaj, and my friend Valyra, when the Undine attacked Qo'noS.

Part of the starbase's command deck had managed to hold out, but they told us something very concerning. Starbase 82 had also, unknown to the Empire, become a research facility studying the Borg. One of Starfleet's brightest minds, one Rebecca Simmons, had come up with a potential cure to the Borg nanovirus. The command deck had lost contact with Simmons' part of the station.
I think I know where this is going.
We all did, Aoede. But even if it was a slim chance, we felt it was a chance worth taking.

Fortunately, the battle in the void had disrupted the connection between the Collective and the Borg on the starbase. They would adapt quickly, so we only had a brief window window to get the job done. Without the connection to the overall Collective, Borg responses to our incursion were localized as we encountered them. Even so, they were dangerous enough.

Rebecca Simmons, I assume.
More problematic than her work on the Borg nanovirus, it would turn out, was Starfleet's work on advanced personal shielding technology. The personal shield systems used by the Honor Guard, and Starfleet's MACOs, are based on her work.

That was Captain Okeg, the starbase's commander. The Borg spent more resources on assimilating him than normal, presumably intending to use him in an emissary role until they took Doctor Simmons.
Interesting. Your combat camera shows a distinctly feminine appearance. I would have assumed that was Simmons.
My brief on Starbase 82 and its key personnel mentioned that Okeg's gender identity did not match his biological appearance.
Ah, makes sense. And I suppose it's hard for the commander of an important front-line station to find the time for gender reassignment surgery.

(OOC note: Okeg is consistently referred to as 'him' in this TFO, but his model is indeed distinctly female. I'm extrapolating, but this conclusion is not explicitly supported by the game)

Ugh, this room.
What's wrong?
This was the location of Simmons, and the central computer for the Borg on the station. We think they were working to turn it into a proper vinculum to reconnect with the Collective. To call the job done, we had to clear this place out.
I do not want to talk about this room.

In short, we killed Simmons, destroyed the proto-vinculum, withdrew to our ships, and scuttled the starbase. The Borg infection of the station was too far gone.
You didn't explain what was happening in that room or why Simmons was flying face-down through the air on your combat camera.
No, I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, in short, I didn't have much fun recording this update. Only three goons showed up to run the TFOs, and one had no idea the LP was a thing and showed up in a Chronos. The TFOs themselves also felt pretty dull to me, just a lot of shooting Borg, then a final boss in an irritating arena with a coordination puzzle to solve, and all with ridiculous respawn runs.

This was planned to be the first of five updates that are just flashbacks covering the Task Force Omega TFOs (and one update for a different pair), most of which follow that same pattern.

I didn't much enjoy recording this, so I'm open to thread feedback: would folks like to see the rest of these task forces, or just move on with the story?

Also, I'm calling Starfleet ship voting closed. The Excelsior is, unsurprisingly to me, the winner.

For the curious, the mystery box was the humble Miranda class! The tier 6 update is actually quite the good little ship, but flying a Miranda at this point in STO felt silly enough that I felt compelled to hide it in a mystery box where other odd options have lurked.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So, in short, I didn't have much fun recording this update. Only three goons showed up to run the TFOs, and one had no idea the LP was a thing and showed up in a Chronos. The TFOs themselves also felt pretty dull to me, just a lot of shooting Borg, then a final boss in an irritating arena with a coordination puzzle to solve, and all with ridiculous respawn runs.

This was planned to be the first of five updates that are just flashbacks covering the Task Force Omega TFOs (and one update for a different pair), most of which follow that same pattern.

I didn't much enjoy recording this, so I'm open to thread feedback: would folks like to see the rest of these task forces, or just move on with the story?

Also, I'm calling Starfleet ship voting closed. The Excelsior is, unsurprisingly to me, the winner.

For the curious, the mystery box was the humble Miranda class! The tier 6 update is actually quite the good little ship, but flying a Miranda at this point in STO felt silly enough that I felt compelled to hide it in a mystery box where other odd options have lurked.

I think it makes sense to keep doing the space TFOs at least, they generally aren't nearly as bad as the ground ones. But that's because ground combat is just plain awful.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I agree with the above. Missed this one though I would have liked to join in, but in general the better ground ops are worse than the space ops.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The ground ops suck so bad, but space ops are perfectly fine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the other issue with ground ops is that you're expecting people to chip in and help out, but you're asking for boring normal lore-compliant characters from a guild of people who spent years breaking the character creator to make their toons as immersion-breaking as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fair enough, space ops it is.

I will be looking to run Cure Found on Saturday, November 21, at 9:00 PM EST with goons.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You are seriously tempting me to reinstall this game so I can send more Romulan fighter pilots to their deaths. Need a Khopesh?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A khopesh would be fine. My system for getting goons for these is to ask in NextGooneration at 9 PM if anyone wants to run the task force. Just be in and in the channel at that time and say yes. :)

Also, I may also try to run Khitomer Vortex this weekend.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 17, 2020

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

We also have a discord server we mostly use to shoot the poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It’s worth noting that Infected Space, the space mission Cyth ran in this episode, has been the DPS benchmark for the game for quite a long time. It’s not timegated, it’s well known, and it’s actually a pretty fun mission to play.

Due to the nature of power creep in Star Trek Online, the current record for speed running the mission is 22 seconds. I can’t find details of the ship used but the player managed to output over 700,000 damage per each of those 22 seconds.

E: For context, a single ship beam array will put out a baseline 616 DPS.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 17, 2020

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Note damage runs like that are a bit deceptive, since they need a hyper specialized glass cannon and the rest of the team running various traits/consoles/etc that indirectly boost the main DPSer or debuff enemy resistances. It's stuff that doesn't really transfer to almost any other queue, as most these days have a flat timer or have multiple phases or whatever to make pure raw burst less effective.

A well geared group can still blow through them effortlessly though. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Reminder: I am looking to run Cure Found and Khitomer Vortex with goons tomorrow night at 9:00 PM EST. Please be in TheNextGooneration chat channel and flying something appropriate if you're interested.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is one of the Discovery-redux refit ships considered appropriate for this purpose? Just picked up the Discovery Operations Pack and mastered the Shran on my main.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If it's in the modern era refit skin, sure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Where toQs Dare

While we're talking about Task Force Omega, I heard you were part of the effort that cured the Borg nanovirus?
Not exactly. That was the Imperial research facility in the Vorn system, the Empire's headquarters for researching Borg technology. A remote system on the edge of the galaxy, home to a deep space refit and repair yard.
Huh. I was expecting a joint effort between the Empire and the Federation.
The Klingon Empire isn't capable of succeeding in a scientific endeavor where the Federation failed?
That's not what I meant.
Aoede, the Vorn facility was set up by Chancellor Martok himself. He believed that the Borg would return one day, and developing a means to counter assimilation was the Vorn facility's top priority. As things turned out for the newly conceived Task Force Omega, the Vorn facility was the reason the Borg had taken the Sibiran system and built a transwarp gate there.
Why?
The Vorn facility sent what was supposed to be a secure message to Qo'noS informing High Command that they'd developed an effective and practical cure. The Sibiran system was attacked six hours later. The purpose of the transwarp gate was to extend the Collective's reach to the Vorn system.

(Steam was having issues not reading my keybinds during this TFO, so enjoy this glimpse of the UI in all its horrid glory)

The Borg attacked the Vorn system, and assimilated much of it. The ground facility managed to evacuate the cure and all data pertaining to it to the one garrison ship that had escaped assimilation, the IKS Kang. Task Force Omega was dispatched to make sure the Kang made it to Qo'noS.

Our first priority was the repair yards. An appreciable portion of the Seventh Fleet had been docked at the Vorn facility for repairs after a major battle with the Elachi. Easy prey for the Collective.
Haven't heard about the Elachi in a long time. Didn't the Republic destroy most of them?
Most of them, yes, but many survived. One particularly resilient group of Elachi survivors established a new facility in subspace on the eastern edge of the galaxy and resumed raiding. The Seventh Fleet was sent to destroy them, and did. They went to the Vorn system for repairs afterwards.

This was my first operation with Strike Group One. Starfleet and the Republic Navy had promised to send their best, and they lived up to that promise. The Borg didn't stand a chance.

(pictured: my screen for about half of recording these updates, goons brought their A game for this update)

In theory, we were supposed to divide our efforts between protecting the Kang from the assimilated Seventh Fleet and taking out the assimilated repair yards. The sheer firepower we brought, however, rendered that something of a moot point.

Couldn't the ships have been cured?
Not then. The cure and delivery mechanisms were on the Kang, but that's a very different matter from distributing them across the fleet and installing them. Our ships all have such systems now.
That just seems wrong. The fleet won a big victory against the Elachi, then... were rewarded with assimilation and death.
You believe in a just universe, Aoede. That's cute.
Wow that's a mix of condescension, cynicism, depression, regret, and affection.
I am who I am. Anything else would be a disappointment.

Oh, and after the Kang restored warp drive and left for Qo'noS the Collective finally got an assimilated carrier into the fight.

It didn't last long.
That's... and this is a new timeline where the Collective is stronger than it used to be?!
Science bullshit, as Gronth put it. Tila described it as making physics our bitch, though I fail to see the likeness between that and a female Earth dog.
Well, I did read the declassified portions of the Voyager Codex. I suppose rewriting reality is in Starfleet's playbook against the Borg.
Funny thing is, my second operation with that strike group was where I met a certain Starfleet pain in the rear named Malthis.
Do tell.
You called Task Force Omega the Borg hunters. The raid on the Quadra Sigma system was our first offensive operation into Borg space.

Two transwarp conduits like the Sibiran system, a tactical cube, and... what is that thing in the middle?
A temporal vortex, Aoede. Very similar to the one we used to travel to Iconia. A relatively stable one, kept open by a Borg station.
Oh no. What were the Borg trying to do?
I don't know. Task Force Omega was sent in to disable the transwarp conduits and the Borg defensive fleet so a specialist team of temporal agents could deal with the vortex.

I asked Gronth after the battle what Starfleet was doing in those encounters. His response included terms like 'polarized quasi-imaginary demi-numbers,' 'inverted nanowave anti-tachyons,' and 'gently caress if I know, boss.'

In theory, we needed to strike a balance between attacking the conduits and blockading Borg ships emerging from the conduits that were heading for the temporal vortex. Whatever the Borg were doing on the other hand, we wanted to prevent them from getting any reinforcements.

Another Borg emissary. A Romulan?
Apparently she was part of that Shinzon Incident with the original Scimitar in the 24th century, and was a highly regarded officer. She disappeared around the time of Hobus.

An assimilated Scimitar. Huh. What's with the extruded Borg stuff?
Intelligence theorized the Borg were growing a framework around the ship to turn into a cube, but we don't know. Never seen anything like that before or since.

So what happened with the time vortex?
As promised, a specialist team of temporal agents arrived, lead by Malthis. They went into the vortex, popped back out again, and said everything was as it should be.
That's a weirdly specific turn of phrase. I don't know whether I find it reassuring or not.
At the time I thought it was settled. Let Starfleet worry about weird temporal nonsense, I was happy to not know anything about it.
Funny thing.
When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools.

Thank you to all the goons who participated!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Science bullshit is the best bullshit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Half of Trek is whomever your main engineer is for the series, when confronting an intractable plot point, turning to the camera and with the most vigorous of jazz hands yelling "SCIENCE!"

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Seriously, shooting people who got sucked into a black hole is so much easier than taking your slow dreadnought and finding people to shoot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I'm hoping to do one more task force update before resuming the main story.

I'll be looking to run the task forces Undine Assault and Viscous Cycle at 9:00 PM EST on Saturday, November 28.

It is the holidays in the US, though, so I understand if folks can't make it. These are just the last ones (really just Viscous Cycle) that I want to show off before going back to the main story.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Ah man, I’m sorry I missed these. Khitomer Vortex has got to be my favourite endgame mission in STO.

Way back in the day, a fun way to ‘help’ other players if you got matched with randoms was to use the Tractor Beam Repulsor skill to play soccer with those probes the trans warp gates spawn. If you can score 10 goals into the temporal vortex, you win a special prize!

The prize was failing the mission.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Ah man, I’m sorry I missed these. Khitomer Vortex has got to be my favourite endgame mission in STO.

Way back in the day, a fun way to ‘help’ other players if you got matched with randoms was to use the Tractor Beam Repulsor skill to play soccer with those probes the trans warp gates spawn. If you can score 10 goals into the temporal vortex, you win a special prize!

The prize was failing the mission.

Did you scream GOOOOOOOOAAAAAL!!! in chat every time?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Reminder: I intend to run Undine Assault and Viscous Cycle tomorrow at 9:00 PM EST. Please be in the chat channel TheNextGooneration and be flying something appropriate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Task Force Leviathan

Do you always talk in your sleep?
I didn't used to. I was dreaming about the Undine assault on Qo'noS. The death of the Najlu'jaj.
I don't know much about it. Your friends don't like to talk about that battle.
Valyra was a good friend. She would likely have lived if she hadn't gone below to help with the wounded.
There's a lot of stories around the crew about how you almost died in the battle, too.
Oh. That. No, I didn't cut my legs off with a disruptor. We were fleeing a flooding section to an emergency bulkhead that was in the process of closing.
What happened?
I got Derius, Tila, and Gronth through first. I made it... most of the way through when the bulkhead closed. Gronth cauterized my legs with a disruptor to slow the threat of bleeding out.
Gods.
That trick is taught in the Academy. I'd already lost my eye when the ceiling bulkhead on the bridge caved in.
Do you have any regrets about how you fought the battle?
Aside from the fact that it happened at all? That I didn't add another Undine planet killer to my tally.
Hold on, you've fought more than one?
I was at Gornar, Aoede.

(The planet you're defending in Undine Assault is randomly selected from Gornar, Andoria, Cardassia, or Ferenginar)

That's going to give me nightmares.
Gornar has an asteroid ring like Qo'noS, though unlike us the Gorn always had it. The Royal Navy weaponized the asteroids to slow down the Undine, but it wasn't enough. A scratch force of whatever Klingon, Federation, and Romulan ships were in range was mustered to the defense. I was commanding the Najlu'jaj at the time.

The Undine had created a series of rifts into fluidic space to mask the incoming planet killer. Fortunately, the Royal Navy of the Gorn Hegemony has long prided itself on its scientific capabilities, and they were able to put together a plan of action.
Namely?

Shooting it. According to Gronth we were actually over-energizing the rifts to make them catastrophically destabilize, only so much energy and matter can pass through an Undine rift at a time without making the whole thing go awry. The Gorn's efforts to launch asteroids into the rifts were defeated by the Undine, but weapons fire from armed warships had better luck.

There is something to be said for the direct approach.
These battles - at Gornar, Andoria, Cardassia, and Ferenginar - were what spurred the creation of Task Force Leviathan, a joint effort to defend our galaxy from the Undine.
I thought it was officially called the 8472 Counter-Command.
I'm sure the brass calls it that. I bet they call Task Force Turok 'Dyson Joint Command,' too. Though I don't know which Starfleet officer came up with that moniker.

Huh. It looks like a mud pot.
Mud pot?
Cephalopod native to Risa. Burrows itself into the ground and spreads its tentacles out, snapping them up to catch passing fish.
Sounds like a dangerous ambush predator.
You could fit a spread out mud pot in the palm of your hand. They're a delicacy when grilled.

Okay, mud pots can't do that.
The Najlu'jaj was in dry dock for a week from that one near-miss alone.

Surprisingly little... gore, I guess I'd call it.
Undine ships are powered by micro-singularities like Romulan warbirds. Sucks most of that down into the singularity when it goes.
Do I want to look at the aft cameras?
No. It took almost two months before the Royal Navy pronounced Gornar's orbital lanes free of foreign debris.
I'm not squeamish, but something about the Undine just feels wrong.
I don't know. Fluidic space is actually kind of beautiful.
You've been into fluidic space?
After four planet killer attacks, the not-yet-Khitomer Alliance decided to strike back. Probes sent back through Undine rifts located the planet killer shipyard. Or should I say, nursery.

Those look like coral reefs.
Good analogy, from what I read afterwards. Undine ships are not singular organisms but colonial ecosystems, typically beginning with a single base organism that the rest of the ship components - weapons, sensors, engines, and so on and so forth - are grafted onto.
I keep forgetting that you're an engineer.
I'm cheating, I didn't know any of this at the time. I was curious and read up on Undine ship construction afterwards.

What's that flower bud thing in the middle?
An incomplete planet killer, protected by heavy shielding. We had to open the shipyard's shields to make the planet killer vulnerable.

One down, three to go.
I like to go diving on the coral reefs at Risa. Have you ever gone diving?
Not outside training at the Academy. I didn't even know how to swim before going to the Academy.
Aren't you from a tiny island?
In the Great Northern Ocean. Qo'noS has a warmer climate than Earth or Risa, but swimming in that sea would be a very bad idea.
Maybe I could teach you.
I like you, but you aren't stuffing me in a skintight swimsuit that easily.
We've had sex and now you're protecting your modesty?

Was that the end of it?
No. One launched before we could reach its yard.

That was the end of that strike. Four planet killers destroyed.
Obviously they still had one for Qo'noS.
Intelligence thinks that, in hindsight, that planet killer was our fault.
Because of your strike against the shipyards?
We don't know much about Undine psychology, but we think our attack prompted an escalation. Gornar, Andoria, Cardassia, and Ferenginar are simply not very important planets.
Look at that Klingon ego go!
I'm serious, Aoede. On a strategic level, Qo'noS is a much greater target in this context, the crown world of a major galactic power.
I know, I'm teasing. Interesting, though. I've never studied the Undine.
We think it was what the humans call a 'use it or lose it' mentality.
Any idea what the Undine are up to now?
None. They've been extremely quiet since we entered the Delta Quadrant, and I'm content to let sleeping targs lie.
There is something to be said for that.

Thank you everyone who participated! This is the end of the TFO updates, and the normal story will resume!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So the Undine are now what in the story? Sort of forgotten?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

So the Undine are now what in the story? Sort of forgotten?

Yup. The Undine have not been in the story since that one mission with the sentient command ship in Delta Rising.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They were always being provoked, right? Clear that up and there's no reason for them to be sending fleets back into normal space.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Was the Undine infiltrating all the major factions a subplot to the grand Iconian scheme or was it their own thing?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

kw0134 posted:

Was the Undine infiltrating all the major factions a subplot to the grand Iconian scheme or was it their own thing?

It was part of the Iconian Scheme.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877310&pagenumber=53#post499180445

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

When the game first came out the infiltration of all the major powers of the quadrant by the Undine was billed as the big overarching conflict, even to the point that the only tie-in novel ever produced for the game, The Needs of the Many, is structured as a memoir of that conflict. There was still an ultimate reveal that the Iconians were ultimately the ones pulling the strings, but the Undine initially had a much bigger role in the game. However, the game's story was reworked over the first few years of the game's life, keeping a few of the broad details but otherwise greatly reducing their role. Mind you, this wasn't entirely a bad thing, since a lot of that early content had severe problems.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I guess if they "resolve" the plot point then yeah, it makes sense, but still. Well, that's the problem with a long running game that has a story which needs to keep going, you never get to sit down and set down a final draft, chapters keep going.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

It's still better than the Cardassians, who've basically had their story arc ripped out entirely and replaced with the stupid Mirror Universe instead.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As much as I love cardassians, absolutely nothing of value was lost by having every last scrap of launch-era content torn out and discarded.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

As much as I love cardassians, absolutely nothing of value was lost by having every last scrap of launch-era content torn out and discarded.

Except the Fire Caves mission.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Or the mission where you save the planet eith the tribble researchers from (at the time) a Klingon captain you messed with before then :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

To: highlyillogical@feklhr.kdf.mobile
Subject: Events

I have signed the Treaty of Iconia.

We and our Heralds have withdrawn to what the Alliance calls the Iconian Demilitarized Zone.

The World's Heart rests on the surface of the homeworld.

We have begun work restoring our homeworld to what once was.

Before the skies wept fire.

Before you helped us.

Before Sela betrayed us.

Before we transformed ourselves into monsters.

Before you killed our sister.

Before you saved us.

What was will never truly be restored.

I know this.

We will make a new Whole.

Thank you for giving us this chance.

We will be worthy of your mercy.

We do not understand why you have done what you have.

You are the Other.

You will always be welcome among us.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just an fyi, I have not forgotten about this LP. But the next update won't be from me and is on that other person's schedule. :) However, the holidays are coming up and that may further impact things.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Have we reached the end of the story related episodes?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

kw0134 posted:

No, Cryptic has released more story arcs since 2015, when the Iconian War that just concluded here was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

Far from it. Just, we have something special planned to start the next story arc. :)

Edit: I checked my outline, and if everything goes to plan, I have 27 more updates to go.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 14, 2020