Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rodgers dropped that down his loving cleavage like a dollar bill from 60+ out.
DPI or not that was loving incredible Aaron Rodgers bullshit magic.

I mean that was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

15-yard max! loving preposterous to just give a team 60 free yards

fuckin maul a dude and put him in the hospital: 15 yards as long as you don't lead with the crown

grab a shirt during the 30 the ball is being air-mailed: 60

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:lol: vikings are losing to the cowboys.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Really colt go for your own 60 yard penalty

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Elite

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

15-yard max! loving preposterous to just give a team 60 free yards

if it's a 15yd, teams can abuse it in endgame scenarios to take away long pass plays by taking a couple 15yd penalties and burn the clock.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Tide To Go for that spot foul

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Flacco single-handedly trying to ruin the Jets' draft spot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a weak DPI call. It didn't impact the play at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tayter Swift posted:

fuckin maul a dude and put him in the hospital: 15 yards as long as you don't lead with the crown

grab a shirt during the 30 the ball is being air-mailed: 60

Huh? He arm locked him in the end zone of a pass he almost caught

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you practice law Mr nice then why aren't you good at it! Don't trigger me I'm 5 beers deep!!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

Rodgers dropped that down his loving cleavage like a dollar bill from 60+ out.
DPI or not that was loving incredible Aaron Rodgers bullshit magic.

I mean that was incredible.

won't deny that

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Codependent Poster posted:

The arm grab prevented MVS from catching the ball, otherwise he would have caught it

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, McCarthy's played against Zimmer enough...I'm half-surprised.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

loving Q_Q on a dpi call you wimpy bastards lmao

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Woah that was a sweet Jets deep ball. You know, I think Gase might have something here. I think you give him another year.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

mccarthy taking the points rather than make even a slight risk lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

if it's a 15yd, teams can abuse it in endgame scenarios to take away long pass plays by taking a couple 15yd penalties and burn the clock.

Watched college football forever. It doesn't happen as much as you'd think.

Fundamentally, how many DBs do you think are like "I don't want to risk this guy catching it, so I'll foul strategically". Every DB thinks they're gonna pick off every pass, so they really don't do it much.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Dude had the receivers arm hooked for like 6 yards, easiest DPI call.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Magicpants posted:

Woah that was a sweet Jets deep ball. You know, I think Gase might have something here. I think you give him another year.

for when you gase long into the abyss. The abyss gases also into you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Codependent Poster posted:

Uh...I'm firmly on the DPI = 15 yards side but taking away a guy's arm is pretty clear DPI? I was even prepared to maybe argue he just tried to touch his hip and got tangled up, but he full on hooked that thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

loving Q_Q on a dpi call you wimpy bastards lmao

ive been wanting to rant about long rear end dpi calls forever :colbert:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ball hits a dude in the chest while his arm has been held for 5-10 yards, preventing easy completion for TD

"Weak call!"

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

ive been wanting to rant about long rear end dpi calls forever :colbert:

meant penalties, sorry, the flag was fine

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I haven't been able to watch football all day in so long. It's beautiful o_o

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

i hate the packers but that call was good, dude hooked him. Regardless of the call, it shouldnt be worth 60 loving yards though.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Also if DPI isn't a spot call you can maul receivers that beat you deep. It's gotta be a spot foul or, I don't know, make the rules even more dumb and complex

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

sweet thursday posted:

I haven't been able to watch football all day in so long. It's beautiful o_o

football sunday is the strongest evidence I've seen for a merciful loving god

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

i hate the packers but that call was good, dude hooked him. Regardless of the call, it shouldnt be worth 60 loving yards though.

They could have still held them to a FG, which would have made the penalty worth it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PostNouveau posted:

Fundamentally, how many DBs do you think are like "I don't want to risk this guy catching it, so I'll foul strategically". Every DB thinks they're gonna pick off every pass, so they really don't do it much.

Professional football is a bit more organized. At least good teams would take advantage of it. Like the NBA did with hack a Shaq

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

Also if DPI isn't a spot call you can maul receivers that beat you deep. It's gotta be a spot foul or, I don't know, make the rules even more dumb and complex

If a receiver has you deep beat then you can't "maul" them

If you're in reach to grab them then you can play the ball unless it's thrown perfectly in a window that, like, 2 QBs in the entire league can actually hit consistently

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Uh...I'm firmly on the DPI = 15 yards side but taking away a guy's arm is pretty clear DPI? I was even prepared to maybe argue he just tried to touch his hip and got tangled up, but he full on hooked that thing.

It was hooked, but I thought he made the play on the ball when it came in.

But anyway, it's super cheap to give 50 yards on a single penalty, yeah.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

they should change the college rule :colbert:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you're in reach to grab them then you can play the ball unless it's thrown perfectly in a window that, like, 2 QBs in the entire league can actually hit consistently

Reread the first part again, and a player not watching the ball can absolutely blow up a WR

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 23, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

What you absolutely can.

You know a receiver has you beat way before he’s out of reach

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Hot Diggity! posted:

ten yard penalty and the offensive team is awarded half a point for every ten yards. gently caress it let's see some 20.5 - 14 scoragamis

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All dpi should be 10 yards unless goons agree that 'he really meant it' then spot of the foul/ personal foul rules come into play obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

This is the counter argument but I really don't think it's the problem it's made out to be. No one who thinks they have a chance of breaking up the pass is going to willingly give up 15 yards, and if you're really and truly beat you've gotta be on top of that poo poo to grab while the guy is going by.

I mean this does happen, but it's not the aspect of DPI that is most often called. And generally never for 40+ yards, that happens with double moves.