Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

What you absolutely can.

You know a receiver has you beat way before he’s out of reach

Yeah, if it was a 15yd penalty why would you not just straight up tackle every receiver after the first 15 yards? It would effectively eliminate all passing plays beyond 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, if it was a 15yd penalty why would you not just straight up tackle every receiver after the first 15 yards? It would effectively eliminate all passing plays beyond 15.

No defender willingly gives up 15 yards.

e: queue everyone posting their least favorite corner, ha.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Herbert is really good

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

100th post in this GDT. Home alone. Drinking beers, eating chips, chilling in my underwear. Nothing to do today but football. Been so long life is sweet, love you all, go Cincinnati Bengals

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

This is the counter argument but I really don't think it's the problem it's made out to be. No one who thinks they have a chance of breaking up the pass is going to willingly give up 15 yards, and if you're really and truly beat you've gotta be on top of that poo poo to grab while the guy is going by.

I mean this does happen, but it's not the aspect of DPI that is most often called. And generally never for 40+ yards, that happens with double moves.

I don't like loopholes, but I GUESS if some team tried the tackle the receiver a couple of times endgame rulehack it could be flagged as unsportsmanlike or something. And it doesn't really happen in college.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

All dpi should be 10 yards unless goons agree that 'he really meant it' then spot of the foul/ personal foul rules come into play obviously.

Now forcing the NFL to follow/livestream these GDThreads is something we can all get behind.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i would consider hiring adam gase & ask his opinion of players, so that if he told me a player was bad i could immediately acquire that player

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ugh. Dolphins might break the streak today :(

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
the jets are a nonteam

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

sweet thursday posted:

100th post in this GDT. Home alone. Drinking beers, eating chips, chilling in my underwear. Nothing to do today but football. Been so long life is sweet, love you all, go Cincinnati Bengals

sweet sunday

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

No defender willingly gives up 15 yards.

e: queue everyone posting their least favorite corner, ha.

I call dibs on Tre Flowers!

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

This is the counter argument but I really don't think it's the problem it's made out to be. No one who thinks they have a chance of breaking up the pass is going to willingly give up 15 yards, and if you're really and truly beat you've gotta be on top of that poo poo to grab while the guy is going by.

I mean this does happen, but it's not the aspect of DPI that is most often called. And generally never for 40+ yards, that happens with double moves.

idk I think if there are 30 seconds left in the half and Aaron Rodgers throws up a deep ball it would probably make sense to just tackle the receiver and take the 15 yards.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
herbie

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Big Beef City posted:

Rodgers dropped that down his loving cleavage like a dollar bill from 60+ out.
DPI or not that was loving incredible Aaron Rodgers bullshit magic.

I mean that was incredible.

Rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Lol, Cook gets 9 yards

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

sweet sunday

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Magicpants posted:

the jets are a nonteam

Do you think they will win a game this season

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Miami needs to put Fitzpatrick in the game if they wanna win.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

We should all hope to live such Best LivesTM

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Sweet run by Taylor

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
the jets are the team in breaking madden that has all their sliders turned all the way down

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Oh poo poo the Colts figured out our weakness

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
🎵 I've got a thielen 🎵

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sweet thursday posted:

I'm proud of you dude.
Own it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Had there not been the PI that was most likely a TD. The PI saved a TD, and the Colts could have forced a FG. Like, I'm really not sure what the argument is. That was as obvious as PI could be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sweet thursday posted:

If you practice law Mr nice then why aren't you good at it! Don't trigger me I'm 5 beers deep!!

If it makes you feel any better I just bit my cheek while eating a cookie.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Whooping Crabs posted:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Cowboys regressed in the locker room?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Whooping Crabs posted:

Gonna laugh if they just run up the middle every play for the rest of the game.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Uh Packers you may want to change up your base defense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheSlutPit posted:

idk I think if there are 30 seconds left in the half and Aaron Rodgers throws up a deep ball it would probably make sense to just tackle the receiver and take the 15 yards.

If defenses start doing that then in that situation I would just run five wide and have them all run fly routes as fast as they could

I figure you can force a penalty with about 7 to 8 seconds of clock burned, do that 3 times and you've gone half the length of the field

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
15 yard PI would kill the hail mary

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Another Brissett!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whooping Crabs posted:

Uh Packers you may want to change up your base defense

Nonsense. Mike Pettine can only be failed

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Miss you Jacoby

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MoaM posted:

The Cowboys regressed in the locker room!

FTFY

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

ty for jogging just quick enough, cousins

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Whooping Crabs posted:

Do you think they will win a game this season

they will not win a game for as long as I am alive

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

15 yard PI would kill the hail mary

This would have some bearing on things if DPI was a thing that was ever called on hail mary plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I'm proud of you dude.
Own it.

SNF on the horizon :sickos: