Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Shame Boy posted:

Can't believe they had Yako Warner do a big musical number about how great Medicare for All is actually a great idea at the end of the new Anamaniacs! Now that the left have introduced this idea to our children in the form of catchy show tunes they can....do what exactly?

If we expose our children to the idea that it's good to take care of people's medical needs, it's only a matter of time before they end up being kind and considerate in all aspects of their life. In other words: weak! This is not acceptable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

of course he believes in dumb Q poo poo. i mean the dude partly runs this channel now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GodMj4-R4 and probably makes a gently caress ton in view money now.

I was wondering why he was whining about his views thinking it was Irate Gamer poo poo and totally forgot he pivoted to weird toy videos.

edit: jesus he has over 470 million views.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Shame Boy posted:

Can't believe they had Yako Warner do a big musical number about how great Medicare for All is actually a great idea at the end of the new Anamaniacs! Now that the left have introduced this idea to our children in the form of catchy show tunes they can....do what exactly?

Why do all these political parties and governments keep making all this propaganda for things they want to do or how they want people to think? One may never know....

Except if you think about it for like a few seconds.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this thread has had me going down the animaniacs hole for like an hour

the songs on that show and its spinoffs were so sick lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9aYrURLHh0

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

Believing in Ghosts is a very different thing than believing in Q anon.

Is it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ghosts are cool

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgXtEfCdGn0

did this get posted

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's no shadow government involved in believing in ghosts!

And a lot less racism as far as I've seen, even though it's weird that the ghosts are either evil and from like, 1980 or something at the latest. You don't see a lot of Roman or BC ghosts in stuff. At least I feel like you get defrosted caveman and then we jump to like, five decades back as far as that goes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

gently caress, i loved that show as a kid, never knew it was Canadian or lasted so long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RareAcumen posted:

And a lot less racism as far as I've seen, even though it's weird that the ghosts are either evil and from like, 1980 or something at the latest. You don't see a lot of Roman or BC ghosts in stuff. At least I feel like you get defrosted caveman and then we jump to like, five decades back as far as that goes.

I mean the Hierarchy of Stygia is a pretty evil shadow ghost government.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

RareAcumen posted:

in fiction or in "real life"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Xiran Jay Zhao released a review/analysis of Netflix's Over the Moon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpbWR-XxFl4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fun hater posted:

in fiction or in "real life"?

Feel like I don't see a ton of ghosts from way back in the past in fiction, I don't know about real life ghost hunters aside from the fact that youtube ghost hunter videos are kinda trainwrecks

fun hater
May 24, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Feel like I don't see a ton of ghosts from way back in the past in fiction, I don't know about real life ghost hunters aside from the fact that youtube ghost hunter videos are kinda trainwrecks

i wonder if it's because it would require research....whereas a ghost from an era the author is familiar with would not

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i hadn't really thought about this until now. huh

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

RareAcumen posted:

If you believe in the hokum ghosts may only have an extra 400 years to wander the earth...

https://soranews24.com/2020/08/05/do-japanese-ghosts-have-a-lifespan-of-roughly-400-years/

If you don't believe in that poo poo then...

fun hater posted:

i wonder if it's because it would require research....whereas a ghost from an era the author is familiar with would not

...which is also (sort of) brought up in the article.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Poparena returns to his roots by taking a look at the new Animorphs graphic novel. The conclusion? It has some great art and is a faithful adaptation of the original work, but it can at times shackle itself too firmly to the original, failing to account for the differences in the medium.

Personally I hope the movie or the sequel series or whatever they're planning ends up going through. It's a great franchise that deserves more attention. The Golden Compass show proves that there's a market for 90s children's book adaptations, and that you can do cgi animals nowadays that don't look like poo poo, so the ingredients are there to make it a success.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

fun hater posted:

This is probably a lot of it, I feel like a belief in somewhere to pass on to and the idea that ghosts only can stay pissed enough to linger for so long is probably part of it.

Like a big part of believing in ghosts is comforting yourself about the unknown of death. Everyone just lingering where they died forever like a terrible fart is not very comforting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

i hadn't really thought about this until now. huh

When I was a dumb teenager I was watching some video about one of those American ghost hunting shows where they went to like, Poland or some place like that, and were trying to yell for the ghost in English and listen to EVPs and some comment was wondering why they'd bother doing that poo poo when a medieval Polish ghost wouldn't know what the gently caress they were talking about and that's stuck with me ever since.

RareAcumen posted:

There have been ghost stories for as long as people have been able to make poo poo up. Like in 1803-1804 this case of mass hysteria broke out around a ghost sighting that led to a guy getting shot and killed and there was this whole big legal controversy around whether or not it was a case of self-defense to shoot a suspected ghost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammersmith_Ghost_murder_case

But there's a combination of factors for why most of these ghost hunting shows are dealing with ghosts that are like 100> years old: they're usually US-based so most of the places you can be let into are homes and tourist traps that were built some time since that area of US was colonized. While some real historical sites like the word-of-mouth around being haunted, other places that are legitimately old might not like a bunch of bumbling dipwads wandering around in the dark for 12 hours in the historical site they're trying to preserve. All of the "major" haunted places in the US have already been combed over by people, and also probably get a lot of demand from randos to do ghost hunts, so you're left scraping around for new spots. And you're dealing with the fact that whoever owns this property is either using this as a marketing stunt, or wants you to come because they're credulous enough to already believe in ghosts and want validation.

So yeah, the people on the show might go around and comb local records but they may not have time to go back too far unless they've got a reason to, and they might talk to locals who can share rumors and stories from their living memory for them to map ghosts to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My favorite haunted-place media is a story on the old Unsolved Mysteries about a comedy club where a lot of famous comedians started out that is supposedly haunted by the ghost of every dead famous comedian who ever played there, like Gilda Radner has no better place to haunt than some dumpy club where she did one open mic in 1969.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

does anyone remember the name of that insanely bad ghost hunting show mike from rlm rambled about for like 20 mins once that sounded incredible.

e: it was ghost adventures lol its its own video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_BT8gYAAA

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 22, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

My favorite haunted-place media is a story on the old Unsolved Mysteries about a comedy club where a lot of famous comedians started out that is supposedly haunted by the ghost of every dead famous comedian who ever played there, like Gilda Radner has no better place to haunt than some dumpy club where she did one open mic in 1969.

lovely underworld bureaucracy?

fun hater posted:

does anyone remember the name of that insanely bad ghost hunting show mike from rlm rambled about for like 20 mins once that sounded incredible.

e: it was ghost adventures lol its its own video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_BT8gYAAA

The best thing to come out of the Ghost Adventures show were the Tchad comics https://camodad.com/post/108242009231/meet-tchad

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It raises your heckles.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

When I was a dumb teenager I was watching some video about one of those American ghost hunting shows where they went to like, Poland or some place like that, and were trying to yell for the ghost in English and listen to EVPs and some comment was wondering why they'd bother doing that poo poo when a medieval Polish ghost wouldn't know what the gently caress they were talking about and that's stuck with me ever since.

I once saw an American “psychic” huckster do his routine on a British talk show (that I’m fairly sure invited him on just to troll him) and he started going on about how he could sense a whole tribe of Native American ghosts standing right there in the studio with them... in London.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What did John Cleese do now?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exist

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like "echoing and defending JK Rowling"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, Cleese apparently signed that letter defending Rowling a while ago and I think it came up last night because he was making the one joke (except he was identifying as a Cambodian policewoman).

For ghosts, I just end up thinking of the joke from Jenny's video on Paranormal Home Inspectors. They get stuck with things like TVs turning on and off and doors opening, because if you've got a good haunting story you're not going to them first.

There's an absolutely terrible series that's on Amazon Prime, but also YouTube, called Hellier by some paranormal group called Planet Weird. I had it recommended to me and it sincerely made me lose respect in that person because holy poo poo is it boring. They're investigating a story of aliens living in the abandoned mines of Kentucky and a bunch of "high strangeness" happening in the area, and then it's 6 hours of "Oh my god! We talked on the phone for 43 minutes and the seance we did last night was 43 minutes long, it's a sign!" Also their actual investigation confirms that they got hoaxed halfway through the series and they just ignore it and pretend like it was fate.

How do you take a story about a retired monster hunter passing along a tip about a family getting run off of their land by creepy aliens and make it boring. Like, I knew it was stupid but thought it would at least be creepy and fun. I'd watch a movie about that premise at least.

Why do I bring it up, because I will have a small amount of love for their repeated theory of a unified paranormal world. For example, what if Bigfoot sightings are just neanderthal ghosts? What if :thunk:

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 22, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
John Cleese is currently showing his whole rear end on Twitter dot come at this moment (well this morning)

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1330487159351091201

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Excellent. The Two Jokes have been spoken.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My favorite ghost hunter show was Paranormal State. A friend went to high school with the show’s creator and said that is exactly what the guy wanted to do so props for that but the show itself was high comedy. They acted like they were the first last and only kind of defense against demon possession which often included listing demons pulled from the D&D Monster Manual. Their psychic is Chip Coffey who looks like Foghorn Leghorn’s nephew grown up

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Weird, I've been cold on him for a bunch of years for saying dumb poo poo like "London isn't English anymore". But I guess you're right in that I'm pretty bummed out that racist transphobes exist.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, as much as he's been a sour old git for a while this one hurts. Like...for gently caress's sake. This is an ex-Python, this is Basil bloody Fawlty and he's had a big impact on my humour, character and now he's this absolute twat on Twitter. What a shame.

I guess this is the same betrayal queer/trans HP fans felt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Macaluso posted:

John Cleese is currently showing his whole rear end on Twitter dot come at this moment (well this morning)

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1330487159351091201
yes, that's something that doesn't affect you at all and is therefore irrational to fear, the definition of a phobia

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tim Rogers has put out a nearly 3-hour long video on Pac-man, which presumably talks about a lot of stuff around the subject of Pac-man too, and is presumably just as excellent (if not more so!) as his video on Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPzVlTgZoCg

I wish I could stay up all night to watch it all but alas.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite ghost hunter show was Paranormal State. A friend went to high school with the show’s creator and said that is exactly what the guy wanted to do so props for that but the show itself was high comedy. They acted like they were the first last and only kind of defense against demon possession which often included listing demons pulled from the D&D Monster Manual. Their psychic is Chip Coffey who looks like Foghorn Leghorn’s nephew grown up

I think I mentioned it before, but the best was one of their first demonic possession episodes (well, funny aside from the whole "this kid has undiagnosed problems that they're blaming on demons".) The editors for the show kept making letters flash on the screen in blood red to make it extra spooky, because the team kept refusing to name the demon. Coffey partially wrote it out to the lead and they had a whole freakout over how this was a special demon that the lead had had a run-in with before in some incident that he never wanted to talk about. They also keep insisting that the kid naming the demon was a big deal because the name was super secret occult knowledge that the kid couldn't possibly know.

If you bothered to note the letters, it was Belial. That little-known demon who's in a ton of media and is a big bad in some little indie series of games called Diablo. I was enough of a nerd to be on the show's forums at the time, and after that episode they went nuts. At first people assumed that the editors had just picked a random demon name, but the lead's verified account confirmed that it was right and that they were furious with the producers.

After it aired it was an amazing mix of people baffled that they were being this stupid (demons and the Warrens were a step too far for a lot of ghost believers) and people who were loving pissed that the show would invite a demon into the viewers' houses by sharing the name.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if there's two things i'm into it's cultural detritus and bold personal statements, so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItfbFvduh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLByfTCTKw

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's not like it was ever some deep 'leftist' critique like 'Clinton's welfare reform policy hurts the poor and working class while shifting the money to wealthy technocrats...waka waka!!!!!' but 'lol clinton like burger' or 'al gore boring' was, like, a common joke.

It never really 'got political' but it sounds like this version doesn't either. It just references people in popular culture? Like 'lol trump look like big dumb ogre' isn't political satire it's just...a joke about what a big turd trump looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o85HZ9Bxw8Y&t=33s

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

A lot of kids’ media turns out to have had political themes in it if you go back and watch it as an adult. It’s just that you don’t notice that stuff when you’re young, so it gets excluded from the nostalgic, idealized image you build up in your head. Just like how a lot of classic cartoons from the 80s had shockingly cheap animation and lazy voice acting by modern standards, but fans remember them being far better than they were. Actual kids watching the new Animaniacs aren’t going to give a poo poo about any supposed political agenda because they’re too busy having fun watching the silly characters do silly things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I meant as in having any real 'commentary', but rather just referencing political issues/figures as a thing that exists. Like, saying 'we've lost our way' is a line from a republican flier isn't actually saying anything, it's just pointing out that that's a thing republicans say a lot. Which is fine, that's a good joke, there's no real need for them to go deeper than a base level 'ha, these guys exist, get it?' joke.

It's the same in the new version. Like, they have the Warners go on a faux Tucker Carlson show but it's just a framing device for them to make fun of the general talking head trend of reframing any question into their own talking points and end with classic cartoon slapstick. Tucker isn't really the joke there, and christ knows they're not making any actual commentary on him as a fascist white supremacist, but he's just a well known person to use and he's a dweeby little bowtie wearing bitch so he's fun to put next to the Warners. The only people offended by that and claiming it's 'political' are the right wing idiots angry they even dared to make a joke involving their favorite nighttime white supremacist.