Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arrhythmia posted:

Grimm wasn't in the game at launch. Also, you do need to do Path of Pain.

Need? Hahahah.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Thanks for the tip. Took a few tries, but I beat him!

At least I thought I beat him. Motherfucker caught me off guard with the spooky ghost dive and killed me.

Next round:

Booya. Off to do more exploring.

Awesome, you made it over the hump. He's a mofo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Thanks for the tip. Took a few tries, but I beat him!

At least I thought I beat him. Motherfucker caught me off guard with the spooky ghost dive and killed me.

So glad no one spoiled that for you. Such a fun scene.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Grimm wasn't in the game at launch.

I know. I initially played after the third DLC but before Godhome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
drat..so close on traitor lord. As I was dying Cloth did his thing but then I zapped to the bench. Missed him by 1 hit. Ugh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What’s everybody’s favorite load out for trial of fool? I get a little further each time and I really want to clear it. I gotta have mark of pride for bouncing, I’m not that good at doing it with the small nail. (Though maybe I can sub long nail instead.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got the TL and the easy ending done. Gotta move on to white palace now. Sigh.

Maybe I'll do the grimm troupe thing. Never did that before.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

White Palace is platforming at its best. It’s hard but not painfully so.

And the Grimm and NKG fights are absolute perfection.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Got the TL and the easy ending done. Gotta move on to white palace now. Sigh.

Maybe I'll do the grimm troupe thing. Never did that before.

You get a charm notch when you beat the first version of Grimm, definitely get that far as it’s doable by mere mortals. Nightmare King Grimm is a whole nother story...gently caress that rear end in a top hat so god drat much.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If you can beat Grimm, you can beat NKG. Believe in yourself!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'd say the secret to beating NKG if you're having trouble is to find one or two patterns you're confident you can sneak in hits reliably and just focus on those, and just dodge otherwise. i'm pretty sure 80% of my damage against him was during the projectile-firing attack and the eruption attack. maybe more honestly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beating NKG is such a good feeling. This game is amazing in the way that every tough boss is just a learning process that makes you feel like a god when you beat them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well, I did get this today, maybe it’s possible.

Think I’ll put that on my Steam profile bragging display case.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol I did the alternate ending to Grimm troupe and it auto saved. Oh no, now I have to play the game all over again if I want to get another crack at NKG. What a shame and how dreadful. What ever shall I do...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol I did the alternate ending to Grimm troupe and it auto saved. Oh no, now I have to play the game all over again if I want to get another crack at NKG. What a shame and how dreadful. What ever shall I do...

You can always fight him in Godhome :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol gently caress that. I am gonna play through again and leave Zote to die, need that achievement. Might bash my head against NKG when I get there. I do feel like I have the skills to beat him it’s more about whether I have the patience to git gud at the fight. So much else in my games backlog...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Do NKG. It's so worth it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I spent like two days repeating the fight until I beat it. It's rough but you do feel incredible when you pull it off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It’s also an immensely fair fight. The tells are there and there are options to get at least one hit off of every attack. I never felt like my deaths were due to anything other than my own errors.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Cartoon Man posted:

What’s everybody’s favorite load out for trial of fool? I get a little further each time and I really want to clear it. I gotta have mark of pride for bouncing, I’m not that good at doing it with the small nail. (Though maybe I can sub long nail instead.)

My personal build is Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength, Nailmaster's Glory, Dream Wielder, Dreamshield.

Possibly swapping out Dreamshield for Grubsong and Soul Catcher if I think I need the extra soul.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 23, 2020

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

e: reply is not edit, whoops

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got through the first two sections of WP. Had to take a break after that. I know I'm at the part that was hardest for me the first time. I forget how much further I have to go.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Zack Ater posted:

If you can beat Grimm, you can beat NKG. Believe in yourself!

This is only conditionally true, it is possible to render Grimm absolutely trivial in the first fight, but the same strategy will not work on Nightmare Grimm. But if you beat him square the first time, then sure!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i stupidly rescued zote the first time this playthrough, and consequently ignored him the second. he is still trapped in a web and it's been like 15 hours; i believe he will never die

didn't see him in the colosseum, not got him in dirtmouth. bretta is bereft...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I know a guy irl that looks like Zote.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
NKG's moves all have hard counters, and I think compared to some of the other hard bosses he's actually rather generous with his tells being distinct enough that you're not as likely to mix them up. Which means that with enough time it can become muscle memory, and when it becomes muscle memory working in attacks as you dodge will naturally follow suit.

I think the bat throw is the easiest one to early on reliably both dodge and attack, so starting out I'd suggest trying to get that down and focus on dodging everything else. In some cases you can make him do the work for you, like the dash-downwards, dash across move where it's not at all impossible to do a pogo stab as he's going underneath you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Weirdly enough the dash uppercut went from being my most feared move to my most reliable damage window when I realised that dashing away from it placed the Knight perfectly to land three hits with quickslash and I didn't even need to move for the fireballs.

God this game's bosses are so good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
White Palace done! :barf:

Now just gotta go all the way down then I guess do Grimm for the first time and then get to work on the radiance. Whew. I hate that place. But I made it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

*Chants ominously* PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

*Chants ominously* PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN, PATH OF PAIN

I've seen it. I can't do it. Even if I practiced non-stop for a week, I couldn't do it. Only reason I could get through the WP is because it has constant checkpoints.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never bothered with path of pain either

i probably could do it within a day or so (and only because i've seen youtube runs so i know about its dirty tricks), but i don't get any pleasure slamming my fingers in that particular brand of car door

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I went back to do path of pain at one point and really struggled but made some progress and felt really good until I realized that I was just re-doing white palace (which I'd already finished) and confused myself and wasn't in the path of pain yet. :negative:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The worst moment was dropping into the final room and realizing that if I beefed it to these enemies then I wouldn't respawn back at the checkpoint.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I consider myself pretty poor at splatforming (and didn't much care for the white palace originally ) but even I was able to do Path of Pain with a few random breaks scattered throughout. Watching a run through on youtube can help demystify a little bit, at least.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seems like the actual Hollow Knight thread has become a withered husk, while this, the Silksong thread... has become infected...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITtPPE-pXE

This video is extremely good. (Although, spoilers for the person in the thread who is playing the game the first time! But everybody else should check this out)

Martman posted:

Seems like the actual Hollow Knight thread has become a withered husk, while this, the Silksong thread... has become infected...

:sigh: bappa nada

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITtPPE-pXE

This video is extremely good. (Although, spoilers for the person in the thread who is playing the game the first time! But everybody else should check this out)

:sigh: bappa nada

I rewatch this every few months.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Working on NKG for the first time. It’s a tough fight but feels fair now that I’ve learned his attacks. I can get him to the second balloon bullet hell so all I have to do is keep working on being consistent.

Edit: Got him! What a great fight.
https://youtu.be/DQGioombiqY

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 26, 2020

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

More Progress:

Some more exploration has brought me to Crystal Peak, Resting Grounds, Royal Waterways, and Deepnest. I really love how each area feels so radically different from the others, and not just a palette swapped rehash.

I have a Dream Nail now, and I can fight ghosts, and read other bug's thoughts! Cool! I have so far taken out Xero, Gorb, and No Eyes. I took a few tries at the samurai ghost who does the crazy dash attack. I get that I have to swing just as he charges at me, but I don't quite have the timing down yet.

Also knocked over Brooding Mawlek.

Exploration continues! I've put over 22 hours into the game so far, and I am still entranced.

E: Goddamn banker hosed off with my money.

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 26, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

Working on NKG for the first time. It’s a tough fight but feels fair now that I’ve learned his attacks. I can get him to the second balloon bullet hell so all I have to do is keep working on being consistent.

Edit: Got him! What a great fight.
https://youtu.be/DQGioombiqY

What charm is it that makes those little flying helpers ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

More Progress:

Some more exploration has brought me to Crystal Peak, Resting Grounds, Royal Waterways, and Deepnest. I really love how each area feels so radically different from the others, and not just a palette swapped rehash.

I have a Dream Nail now, and I can fight ghosts, and read other bug's thoughts! Cool! I have so far taken out Xero, Gorb, and No Eyes. I took a few tries at the samurai ghost who does the crazy dash attack. I get that I have to swing just as he charges at me, but I don't quite have the timing down yet.

Also knocked over Brooding Mawlek.

Exploration continues! I've put over 22 hours into the game so far, and I am still entranced.

E: Goddamn banker hosed off with my money.

She's...um...soaking in a hot spring...somewhere. It's not a place you'd normally go back to if you've found it already which is why i've given you a pretty blatant hint.