Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ignoring midichlorians entirely, the idea that you can harvest the blood of a Yoda to infuse it and make some kind of force clone/trooper/monster or whatever they were up to still reduces it from space Buddhist wizardry to Crude Matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol that they brought back midichlorians but were too scared to actually say the word "midichlorians", so instead we had to hear about Baby Yoda's M-Count.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

she is a girl himbo. we should come up with a more succinct term for that, it's a little unweildly

Extremely cold take but Lucas absolutely stepped on his own dick demystifying the force this way.

"Luminous beings are we! LOL J/k it's all about your literal bloodline." TLJ walked this back in a pretty appealing way before TROS called takebacks and carved it in stone with Rey Palpatine.

He wanted to step on his dick even further with the Whills.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Owlbear Camus posted:

Ignoring midichlorians entirely, the idea that you can harvest the blood of a Yoda to infuse it and make some kind of force clone/trooper/monster or whatever they were up to still reduces it from space Buddhist wizardry to Crude Matter.

The fact that its not actually working and (to quote one of my favorite games) test subjects were horribly broken and twisted would seem to indicate that you can't just pump people full of M-Blood for fun and profit.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Strange. He looked like a Jedi and fought like a Jedi, but his power felt so warped."

Give me Dark Troopers, give me Shadow Trooper Gideon vs Ahsoka, let's get this Dark Forces reboot project going full throttle

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not really, it would still indicate that that particular person is strong in the force regardless. The blood, as a part of that person, is.

IIRC Lucas’s actual explanation is that midichlorians are drawn to powerful force users and the living force itself uses them as a way of directing those people toward their destinies. You can choose to ignore that destiny because free will still exists, but the force will still speak to you in a way through the midichlorians. It’s not really the demystification people claim it is so long as you view the midichlorians themselves as living beings connected to the force. They aren’t it’s source, they’re nature’s response to it. I don’t really have a problem with the technological society of Star Wars using them as a general barometer for evaluating a force user’s power, especially if you’re trying to harvest that user for some medical experiment.

Sort of? It's not like blood transfusions last forever. Though that implies that you can graft the force onto someone permanently even after the blood cells die independent of the donors DNA still being around (which isn't long).

Maybe that's why all the subjects die within weeks :hmmyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

jivjov posted:

The fact that its not actually working and (to quote one of my favorite games) test subjects were horribly broken and twisted would seem to indicate that you can't just pump people full of M-Blood for fun and profit.

Point taken. Trying to fast track a force connection Blood Countess Bathory style just getting you some real monkey's paw brundlefly poo poo no matter how hard you science at it would help keep it in the realm of the mystical.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Given that there are bloodlines or whatever that give high midichlorians there's probably biological traits that attract the little things or make them more inclined to multiply. That said, blood transfusions are probably not gonna work. He'd need to rewrite his DNA with I dunno a nano-retrovirus to chimerize himself or some poo poo, and that'd be the sort of ridiculous unstable comic book magical superscience that... would actually fit right in to Star Wars. Season 3 villain?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

drat, he looks fantastic for a 72-year old man
He's also very thrifty.

Like he will eat craft services on set and pocket his per diem.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This could be a good way to further explain Midochlorians as an indicator of somebody who is adept at channeling the Force instead of being the cause of being able to channel the Force for the bigger public (as opposed to those who also read the books etc) by having it so the Imperials are technocrats who believe that by harvesting them and pumping them into clones that they can make supersoldiers but instead just end up with horrific mutants because that's not how the Force works, you idiots. It could be a way of Filoni and crew addressing the whole argument, showing that Yoda's explanation was correct.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Cheesus posted:

He's also very thrifty.

Like he will eat craft services on set and pocket his per diem.

There's still some meat on that bone!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

...the Imperials are technocrats who believe that by harvesting them and pumping them into clones that they can make supersoldiers but instead just end up with horrific mutants because that's not how the Force works, you idiots.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I viewed it.

"Transfusing from high M-count donors" is perfect *because* it's such a mundane and material way of thinking about the Force. That's precisely how a bunch of Imperial fascists would interpret something metaphysical. "What if we mass-produce a platoon of Darth Vaders who obey my orders?" It's absurd, but I also fully believe that's what some random Moff would gleam from how RoTJ played out. "We under-estimated the strategic importance of Space Wizards before. Let's not make that mistake again!"

Of course, the fact they're wrong about all of it seems obvious. But I'm 100% down for some Cronenberg fail-clones throwing Force lightning that hurts themselves as badly as their opponents. I'd love to see some Mandos slicing through a bunch of nu-Sith uber-mutant types. Sounds awesome.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Still salty about the Force not being something any dumb idiot could learn it's just really hard

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Only sparkle princesses and princes get to be space wizards in this franchise, buster.

Everyone else can settle for being plucky comic relief, a dashing scoundrel, or set dressing.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

"Strange. He looked like a Jedi and fought like a Jedi, but his power felt so warped."

Give me Dark Troopers, give me Shadow Trooper Gideon vs Ahsoka, let's get this Dark Forces reboot project going full throttle

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Pops Mgee posted:

What the hell does “serving during Alderaan” entail? Was that guy just on patrol like when Milhouse was a security guard?

What happened?
Well it started to blow up, then it blew up. :v:

Hey my grandfather died during the Destruction of Alderaan.

He fell into the tunnel the green laser goes through.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

A.o.D. posted:

Only sparkle princesses and princes get to be space wizards in this franchise, buster.

Everyone else can settle for being plucky comic relief, a dashing scoundrel, or set dressing.

Knights are just another form of nobility kill em all :argh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rewatching Rebels and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the banter back and forth between AP-5 and Chopper

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/icptvXs.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/y6R5ce1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/JTPTUEi.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/STEp43F.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ipciCOJ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/l2wj2EC.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/6ZoFlaX.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/wW71nBX.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/OdUTHXC.gifv

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:allears:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Vinylshadow posted:

Bring back Kyle Katarn :argh:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
As someone whose memory of 90's Star Wars stuff is all one big blur, Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar are the same person to me

.....and I would like to see him in this show

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

OldSenileGuy posted:

As someone whose memory of 90's Star Wars stuff is all one big blur, Kyle Katarn and Dash Rendar are the same person to me

I'm shook and shaking wtf how dare you compare lovely han solo knock off to Kyle Katarn :argh:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Getting some real Wolfenstein vibes after rewatching this week's ep. Gideon is Deathshead and the Dark Troopers are gonna be ubersoldats.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I haven’t played any Star Wars bideo james since the SNES era so I really have no idea whom all y’all are talking about but I’m all for it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A lot of the original EU is dumb as poo poo. Like, makes the Prequels look competent levels of dumb, hell, makes the SEQUELS look competent levels of dumb, but I am all in for the Kyle Katarn show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wasn't there a cartoon rabbit X-Wing pilot in some EU comic?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm shook and shaking wtf how dare you compare lovely han solo knock off to Kyle Katarn :argh:

But you repeat yourself.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gonz posted:

Wasn't there a cartoon rabbit X-Wing pilot in some EU comic?

He was in the first Marvel comics that happened after the original Star Wars. He was green

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/22/entertainment/mandalorian-religion/index.html

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I haven’t played any Star Wars bideo james since the SNES era so I really have no idea whom all y’all are talking about but I’m all for it.

Dark Forces came out in like, 1994

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

So is next episode going to be the Ahsoka episode cause I'm curious how that's going to look

Still kind of a shame the original voice actor doesn't get to reprise the role, they're basically the same age as Rosario Dawson and they're going to be under a billion layers of makeup anyways.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Captain Oblivious posted:

But you repeat yourself.

I see what you’re getting at but let’s be totally honest with ourselves— Dash Rendar was way more of a Han Solo clone.

Kyle was never portrayed as a scoundrel ace pilot. He was a rebel agent in a FPS Doom clone. He got pretty Mary Sue-ish later with the latent Jedi powers, sure, but that was before the prequels when games where you play with sabers and use the force really took off.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So is next episode going to be the Ahsoka episode cause I'm curious how that's going to look

Still kind of a shame the original voice actor doesn't get to reprise the role, they're basically the same age as Rosario Dawson and they're going to be under a billion layers of makeup anyways.

Probably, Dave Filoni wrote and is directing the fifth episode of season 2

Captain Oblivious posted:

But you repeat yourself.

Moldy Crow > Outrider don't @ me :colbert:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 23, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ashley Eckstein is awesome, and she's almost the same age as Dawson, but her Ahsoka voice was meant for teenage Ahsoka. It'd be a little weird if someone in their mid-40's sounded like the Clone Wars version of the character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All Han Solo knockoffs are good. Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Wedge for big chunks of the X-Wing comics, The Outrageous Okona, ALL OF THEM.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gonz posted:

Ashley Eckstein is awesome, and she's almost the same age as Dawson, but her Ahsoka voice was meant for teenage Ahsoka. It'd be a little weird if someone in their mid-40's sounded like the Clone Wars version of the character.

Eckstein is a talented VA, she made the voice grow from kid to teenager in Clone Wars, then to young woman in Rebels, I'm sure she can manage it again

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Eckstein is also super feminist and has great progressive views. Makes me think she wouldn’t have gotten along with Gina.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All Han Solo knockoffs are good. Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Wedge for big chunks of the X-Wing comics, The Outrageous Okona, ALL OF THEM.

I thought Okona was the episode where Worf has to deal with some kooky alien resort planet manager, boy was I off

Yo, Mando should have to deal with some kooky alien resort planet manager

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzF5rHuLE38