Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Don’t forget to visit the gift shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That mansion is kinda bad, but not on the level of some of these enormous greige monstrosities. The profusion of "decor" and some of the color coordination (In the home gym especially and the full-stone-pattern bathrooms) and the three-car tumor are really the worst parts of it. I'm not exactly the best-equipped to make judgments, but the actual architecture looks decent. Even the roofline isn't as terrible as some. I'd put it in the 4-6 range.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
All that bare painted drywall is overwhelming. Big spaces can’t be done the same way as small spaces.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

It looks more like a memorial to the home owner's victims.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Weembles posted:

It looks more like a memorial to the home owner's victims.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wanna know how many people live in that house to require that much golf equipment.
Also.. maybe hang those photos up somewhere not just shelf them all in one room?

that things a horror show.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

tater_salad posted:

I wanna know how many people live in that house to require that much golf equipment.
Also.. maybe hang those photos up somewhere not just shelf them all in one room?

It's the Tacky Horror Picture Show!

vvv :toot:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 20, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hollow Talk posted:

It's the Tacky Horror Picture Show!

Thanks for the new thread title

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Dareon posted:

That mansion is kinda bad, but not on the level of some of these enormous greige monstrosities. The profusion of "decor" and some of the color coordination (In the home gym especially and the full-stone-pattern bathrooms) and the three-car tumor are really the worst parts of it. I'm not exactly the best-equipped to make judgments, but the actual architecture looks decent. Even the roofline isn't as terrible as some. I'd put it in the 4-6 range.

It has a nub, automatic 8+ on the scale

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

This is how I store my collections in the Sims.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tater_salad posted:

2 people that hate each other and vacation separately.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I still cant' get over that house.. like ther's just so much poo poo.. everywhere.. Like someone didn't tell them that you don't show your calss by stuffing flake rear end flowers everywhere they fit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I still cant' get over that house.. like ther's just so much poo poo.. everywhere.. Like someone didn't tell them that you don't show your calss by stuffing flake rear end flowers everywhere they fit.

mcmansion.txt

These are display houses, not functional ones. For people who don't know what they want other than to make it look like they're finally making six figgies. Or whatever the equivalent of the neighborhood might be.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
How could you skip the best part! The price history!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

StormDrain posted:

lol (actual)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

StormDrain posted:

Hmm there seems to be some fuckery afoot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Moved to here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=509#post510118875

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 21, 2020

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

This is definitely stuff that would do well in the interior design thread!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FCKGW posted:

How is that a "McMansion"? It just looks like a Mansion to me.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It looks like five different buildings clipping with each other.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The "McMansion Hell" blog has a series on what in particular is bad about McMansions and how they differ from regular mansions. But in brief, they tend to be badly-planned, cheaply built, and made with an eye towards maximizing the number of "features" the house has rather than trying to make it a coherent structure that people will actually enjoy living in. The reason their roof lines are so atrocious is because the plan was devised by someone who was literally just slapping down rooms in a house designer program, and then clicked the "generate roof" button and shipped it. That messy complexity is then handed off to contractors who are almost certainly going to screw up somewhere, even if they are trying their best (which they aren't always).
I sometimes wonder if part of it is trying to ape the appearance of old manor houses. If a wing has been added to a mansion a hundred years after it was built it's not going to look as smooth as if it was all built at once, and there'll be a blending of styles between different parts due to tastes and building technology changing between the centuries. Trying to cargo cult that aesthetic without understanding any of the logic behind it would explain why they don't look at that roof and realise something has gone horribly wrong. It's meant to look like that!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nouveau riche attempting to cargo cult the style of old money (e/ and failing at it incredibly hard) is 100% what mcmansions are

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 21, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nouveau riche attempting to cargo cult the style of old money (e/ and failing at it incredibly hard) is 100% what mcmansions are
Money screams, wealth whispers.

I think the fact that houses are all measured by square footage and not quality of construction has alot to do with it. We don't like to say how much our houses actually cost, but we will tell you exactly how many square feet it is, and mcmansions get you big number.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Money screams, wealth screamed 200 years ago

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

I sometimes wonder if part of it is trying to ape the appearance of old manor houses. If a wing has been added to a mansion a hundred years after it was built it's not going to look as smooth as if it was all built at once, and there'll be a blending of styles between different parts due to tastes and building technology changing between the centuries. Trying to cargo cult that aesthetic without understanding any of the logic behind it would explain why they don't look at that roof and realise something has gone horribly wrong. It's meant to look like that!

I think part of the issue is what you're talking about, cargo-culting the piecemeal look of centuries-old manors and castles, is what gilded-age robber barons kind of did. Hearts Castle isn't a mcmansion, but it is sort of a spiritual predecessor in how it's got a little bit of everything Baroque and imperial opulence in it. So now decades later Betsy Devos, a legit billionaire, has a house that looks more like something the most successful car salesmen in Omaha would own rather than something a lord might have built at the height of empire.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The thing that gets me, though, is why spend so much money on a big house and then cheap out on the actual materials? Or just throw all your architectural styles into a blender? Like, I'm thinking those stick-on foam quoins that protrude an inch from the wall. Those would actually look halfway decent- not attractive per se, but less like an abomination unto Mammon- if they were half as thick. Hell, just flat vinyl decals would give you the look you wanted if your actual wall treatment was anywhere near appropriate.

If I had a million dollars or more to spend on a new house, well first off I'd go for something Modernist or Prairie style (I have an inexplicable fondness for prairie muntins) instead of...whatever those things are, but I'd also start from a materials/facilities standpoint. Get an architect that knows the best materials for the region (because if I had house-building money I would certainly not be building in Alaska, regardless of how the land-buying would eat into the house-building), make it first and foremost comfortable to be in. And cozy, room for me and maybe three other people. Even in the Sims, if I realize my family and hobbies are getting too big for a starter home, I have trouble filling out a really big house, it just feels like they're rattling around inside a box.

Also, native loving landscaping. I'm living wherever here is because I like the scenery, I don't want to just make it the same invasive bullshit everyone else is using.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Because cheaping out on materials gets you more room. Lots of people just go in with a list of rooms and features that they want and that's what they get. Getting a coherently designed house by a decent architect would probably cost them at least 50% more, so becomes prohibitively expensive, especially when they're leveraging heavily to do so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why did so many old palaces not use hallways in private rooms?

quote:

The concept of palace is different than most people would think. This is the cause of many of today's mansions, which attempt to emulate palaces becoming full of silly and redundant rooms (ie, Aaron spelling house has a Christmas present wrapping room...) Or are like 15 bedrooms and 30 bath when they will never have like more than 5 people ever stay in the house.

Why is that?

Our concept of what a house is mixed with the very different concept of a palace.

It would be like having a private home be made to resemble an airport. And you might ask why an airport is all hallway and no other room types.

So let's start with what palaces are:

They are government buildings first and foremost. Not houses.

Second, in the era they were built (ie post fortification) construction and architecture were the primary ways to display power and wealth. The very existence of these rooms weren't a function beyond being big and beautiful.

These rooms are known as state rooms.

They are large rooms that are very nice and overwhelming to visitors. They can be used for things like balls or dinners, but they are first and foremost simply fantastic. Think the Jordan stairs at the winter palace or the great Hall of mirror at Versailles.

And these room types take up the overwhelming majority of the footprint of these palaces. These aren't rooms where people "live".

So, about living...within these palaces there are "apartments" where royalty would live. Just like an apartment within some larger complex. These apartments are grand, but are on a more normal scale of homes for people. And within them, you would find more normal amenities, modern design and conveniences etc.

In fact, palaces were so busy and formal, that most monarchs had secondary palaces to live in. Think the grand trianon by Versailles, and the ppetit trianon near the grand trianon not!!.
And to the winter palace and the Summer palace of Peter the great.

Even Buckingham palace is the side residence to the "actual" Royal palace, tye palace of St. James. Which was the side palace to the now gone Whitehall.

Anyways, on to hallways.

The style of room layout you are referring to is called enfilade.

Enfilades are primarily a baroque thing. They allow the awesomeness of the rooms to be beheld. Without going through the dissapointing ardour of a hallway, wich is a service type of room (all rooms in the world are either servant rooms or served rooms), not a room in it of itself.

And so, with this in mind, you want your visitors to go from one splendid room to the next, each more glorious than the next, and so each room needs to be traversed individually. Nothing skipped.

And so, each room is progressively more grand and awesome, each representing to the visitor how much they are valued (the more important, the further in you're allowed), often culminating in the throne room at the end.

So this is why no hallways: it's beneath the palace. And to serve the purpose of overwhelming visitors, you want them to go from room to room, not skipping rooms with a hallway.

Besides, palaces are very skinny (usually some squarish/rectangle/U shape with a large Central courtyard), so there are only one max two rooms per space in a palace. So a hallway would be without windows, which would be dank in an era before electricity. Better simply have a grand room and call it a Hall, and not a hallway.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zopotantor posted:

I've done that.

Because there was a VCR connected to a switched outlet, and I wanted to prevent anybody from accidentally shutting it off, so I wouldn’t have to reset its clock. The switch actually made sense, since the outlet was in a low space under the roof, where whatever was connected to it was hard to reach.

I had to replace my garage door opener switch a few years ago.. I would have bought a contact switch but they didn't have any at the time at Ace Hardware. I put in a two pole toggle switch. I labeled the wall "Magic" and "More Magic" after the old server room joke.

Everyone in my house knows what it means but, if I were to ever sell my house, it will make no sense. It has to be toggled twice if left in the "More Magic" position. Just once in the "Magic" position. I could make it correct, but I'm fond of it now.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

This explains really well why I find so many church conversions unsatisfying; the most common thing done is to attempt to turn the whole cavernous space into a home, when it would make a lot more sense to have a relatively small apartment built up in the chancel, vestry, and other Easterly rooms while converting the nave to a state room.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dareon posted:

The thing that gets me, though, is why spend so much money on a big house and then cheap out on the actual materials? Or just throw all your architectural styles into a blender? Like, I'm thinking those stick-on foam quoins that protrude an inch from the wall. Those would actually look halfway decent- not attractive per se, but less like an abomination unto Mammon- if they were half as thick. Hell, just flat vinyl decals would give you the look you wanted if your actual wall treatment was anywhere near appropriate.

If I had a million dollars or more to spend on a new house, well first off I'd go for something Modernist or Prairie style (I have an inexplicable fondness for prairie muntins) instead of...whatever those things are, but I'd also start from a materials/facilities standpoint. Get an architect that knows the best materials for the region (because if I had house-building money I would certainly not be building in Alaska, regardless of how the land-buying would eat into the house-building), make it first and foremost comfortable to be in. And cozy, room for me and maybe three other people. Even in the Sims, if I realize my family and hobbies are getting too big for a starter home, I have trouble filling out a really big house, it just feels like they're rattling around inside a box.

Also, native loving landscaping. I'm living wherever here is because I like the scenery, I don't want to just make it the same invasive bullshit everyone else is using.

Let dove tail your question into something else I ve noticed.

The Mcmansion is also trying to ape something thats pre modern. like an estate, manor house, castle, eldritch horror etc.

I ve delt with and have owned in some capacity or another pre-1950 s homes. In fact I m trying to sell a house from 1935 right now.

Lets call these "vintage homes" one thing I can tell you is that people just 80 years ago lived alot different than they did today. The foot print of the homes are smaller. the bed rooms are smaller. the room lay out is at odds for what people want.

For example alot of the places I ve delt with dont have a design that allow for a room to have a couch and chairs and a good focal point for a monder picture sized TV. Because they didnt exists.

Also the bed rooms are small because people didnt spend alot of time in the room because why would they?.

Bathrooms are small some are honestly what they Goons across the pond would call a water closet.

Kitchens? thanks to cable tv and cooking shows everyone wants a loving island and kitchen facing the dinning room.

Okay so someone with more money than taste basically wants a YUUUUGE box. and a list of check marks the master bed room has to be big enough to be a apartment unto itself. Man cave, Water park, Office etc.

But they dont want it too look mondern so they have some poo poo glued onto their box to make it look "fancy" and after reading mcmansion hell I really hate how they dont get the roof lines correct and mix and match window etc.

Side note, It takes a certain type of person to live in "vintage house" and what they like is the "charm" of it. So you have to make sure all electrical, plumbing, Hvac is addressed while not altering the house too much to destroy its charm.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ups_rail posted:

For example alot of the places I ve delt with dont have a design that allow for a room to have a couch and chairs and a good focal point for a monder picture sized TV. Because they didnt exists.

Also the bed rooms are small because people didnt spend alot of time in the room because why would they?.

Bathrooms are small some are honestly what they Goons across the pond would call a water closet.

Kitchens? thanks to cable tv and cooking shows everyone wants a loving island and kitchen facing the dinning room.

There was a vintage house plan blog linked way earlier in the thread, and I spent some time skimming it, noticing things like that. It was neat that you could look at a house plan and tell "Oh, this came after the advent of the car," "That living room is clearly designed to watch TV in," or "This was meant to be placed on a frontier lot without running water, because there's no bathroom."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Skyl3lazer posted:

Manassas, Virginia. United States.

Perhaps you're interested in a house. Perhaps you might be interested in this house, as described by the listing?

Well, step on in to the foyer, and let's talk about the wonderful amenities this house provides.

Welcome to the House of Trees. My first experience with this house was in 2019, as I was doing research into refinancing my home, and looked in to listings nearby to compare valuations. It caught my eye because of the staggering 140+ photos listed as available from the search, far far more than others. I immediately fell madly in love, but as I was trying to show this wonder to friends an awful thing happened. The owners removed every listing of the house from every website, and all that was left were the cached photos sitting in my open browser tab. I immediately saved them all.

This year, I was reminded of the house through another conversation, and I went to look it up. Gladly I was able to find the address after some searching, in addition to a staggering connection to the Intelligence Community as well as the Kennedy Family. I'll save the details of that for the very end.

Floor Plans?

The layout of the house is complex, and can render an unprepared onlooker helpless as they try to piece together floorplans from the volume of photos. There are, basically, two buildings as mentioned in the listing. Which rooms are in which is totally unclear by any of the photos.

The "Main House," outlined in red, is a flurry of porches, surrounded by large swaths of cobblestone and poorly-tended foliage. It battles against the very concept of "Inside" and "Outside."

The "Tree House," in green, takes its name for obvious reasons. Ensure your guests have an unforgettable stay by searing occult wall angles in to their brainstems.

Album

As I was going through these pictures to try to create an appropriate catalog of madness, I realize I actually just have too many highlights to put in one post. Seriously, you can pick nearly every single picture and puzzle over it for minutes (hours? days? is time real?). Hopefully people will go through the album and pick some of their favorites and talk about them, because really every picture here is truly worth a thousand words.

:siren:The full album of insanity, with the shots from the original July 2019 listing (some of which were deleted), as well as the 2020 additional shots.:siren:
I've tried to remove duplicates (the original listing had a few) and I've vaguely attempted to group shots I know are from the same room. I don't want to delve too deeply in trying to do a thorough job of that though.

The Russian Connection

This house is located at 11621 Purse Drive in Manassas, which would be completely unremarkable except for its neighbor.

How can something this weird be next to something that looks that expensive? And actually in some of the pictures you can see it has very high walls and such. Well, it turns out that's because it's an old CIA SAFEHOUSE WHERE BOBBY KENNEDY USED TO COME TO PARTY.

The CIA used to hide Soviet defectors here during the cold war. In fact, Purse Drive is named for U.S. Deputy Chief of Protocol Victor Purse (right), a "friend of Saudi Kings and Queen Elizabeth II" according to the linked article.

Shame about the neighbors.

Here's some of my personal favorite pictures, in no particular order:

TL;DR: House owned by hippies or something next to old CIA safehouse with amazing pictures that you should look at.

from GBS. I think this was linked in this thread previously....

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Dareon posted:

There was a vintage house plan blog linked way earlier in the thread, and I spent some time skimming it, noticing things like that. It was neat that you could look at a house plan and tell "Oh, this came after the advent of the car," "That living room is clearly designed to watch TV in," or "This was meant to be placed on a frontier lot without running water, because there's no bathroom."

There's a ton of stuff like this on Google books too. When I was trying to find out any history at all on my 1908 house, I stumbled across Keith's Magazine and a bunch of other old house magazines and catalogs. One of the Keith's has an article about maybe you want a garage, because cars are a thing now, is that right for you? Good poo poo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Plugging power strips into power strips!INFINITE POWER!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m the stripped wires top left because the plug wouldn’t fit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Where did you get a picture of my old place?

Mine was never actually that bad, and... Is that next to a toilet? Could be a flip-top trashcan, but the shape and gap in the object on the right makes me think toilet.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Empty Sandwich posted:

from GBS. I think this was linked in this thread previously....

It was, that isn't a house I'm forgetting any time soon. It's fucky enough to be worth reposting every few months, though

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I'm the other set on the bottom right.

At our last apt there was a single outlet in the bathroom, so we had a similar situation for both toothbrushes, shaver charger, waterpik, and hair dryer. But none of those things was ever running at the same time, it was just to save having to constantly unplug poo poo.

I was going to say maybe it was a bunch of low power/not always powered things and wasn't so bad but now I'm sure it's as bad as it looks.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

These types of power adapters have a pair of screw terminals. They are for permanent installs where the wiring is run by the installer and count have any length. That's why they also have the top and bottom tab (some broken off) with screw holes, so they can be 'mounted' to an outlet in place of the faceplate.

My worry is the one that's discoloured and seems to have no wiring hooked up. I'm guessing these are old transformer type adapters, and never shut off, even with no load, so that thing is a waste of money and a fire hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

EoRaptor posted:

These types of power adapters have a pair of screw terminals. They are for permanent installs where the wiring is run by the installer and count have any length. That's why they also have the top and bottom tab (some broken off) with screw holes, so they can be 'mounted' to an outlet in place of the faceplate.

My worry is the one that's discoloured and seems to have no wiring hooked up. I'm guessing these are old transformer type adapters, and never shut off, even with no load, so that thing is a waste of money and a fire hazard.

This is very typical of CCTV installs, unfortunately. The correct way to do it is to get a 12/24v power supply with 8-16 outputs, then you only have the power supply to hard wire or throw a cord on.