Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
But then we wouldn't have gotten in wolfman comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, apparently loosening the Comics Code brought us communist SJW comics is the new talking about, I guess?

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1328139279428579329?s=20

Pretty sure every single book put out by gaters would've been banned under the CCA. They're all huge tits and ultraviolence.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1326272335830265857?s=20

It seems that when Marvel gets the rights to publish something they bought from Dark Horse, it doesn't have to pay any royalties that were originally contracted.

What's stopping any company from creating a new company for reprints and transferring rights to get around contracts, then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

https://twitter.com/evandorkin/status/1326272335830265857?s=20

It seems that when Marvel gets the rights to publish something they bought from Dark Horse, it doesn't have to pay any royalties that were originally contracted.

What's stopping any company from creating a new company for reprints and transferring rights to get around contracts, then?
I have no particular insight, but I'm guessing since the work-for-hire contracts that include any royalty requirements are negotiated with the individual creators, as long as the original publisher has the license and is printing comics, the creators will get royalties. It's probably likely they include provisions that if a comic gets moved to an imprint or subsidiary that those contracts stay in force, so Dark Horse couldn't create Darker Horse Comics and sell the rights to their subsidiary.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Licensed comics are a weird shell game because those Predator comics were published by Dark Horse via agreement with Fox (or now Disney). Those licensing deals generally mean that after the license expires, the content reverts back to the IP owner.

This is how Marvel made a bunch of Star Wars comics that were ultimately owned by Lucasfilm, who then granted the reprint rights to Dark Horse. Dark Horse published more Star Wars comics (both reprints and new material) that were all owned by Lucasfilm. Then Disney bought Lucasfilm and pulled the license from Dark Horse and gave it back to their other acquisition, Marvel Comics.

Those are three separate licensing agreements where [Publisher] and [IP owner] hash out their deal, and then the publisher is left to handle the contracts with the individual creators, and they don't carry over when the publisher changes.

So in this sense the contract that Dark Horse had with Evan Dorkin (or anyone working on licensed comics) is only applicable to Dark Horse publishing those comics, Fox/Disney never consented to royalties or anything so when they took their IP back and moved it in-house, they're not obligated to follow Dark Horse's contracts.

My understanding is that this would have to be more firmly scrutinized if AT&T were to just go "oh we have a new Sandman Books LLC company that we sold all the Sandman rights to, now Neil Gaiman gets jack poo poo from reprints!" Because at least in principle, the contracts that give AT&T ownership of Sandman are the same contracts that say they have to give Neil Gaiman royalties, because the publisher and the IP owner are one and the same.

I'm not saying they couldn't get away with it, because they are a giant corporation. But it would be harder.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like Dorkin isn't the only victim. This is a prose writer, but still basically the same situation. Disney is doing things.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240243866791936?s=20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Edit: ^^^^ That's what I get for sitting on this post for a couple minutes. Jeeeeez

Disney is now trying to claim that when they bought Lucasarts and Fox, they actually didn't buy those companies, they just acquired the assets of the company and the liabilities (like signed contracts for royalty payouts) are now void.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1329240238816858120

There also seems to be a terrifying new trend going through corporate biglaw where they demand NDAs to even meet with someone to consider negotiations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

From this I learned that Alan Dean Foster has cancer. :smith:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A nice reminder to not support Disney, I guess

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

As if I needed another one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This got linked in the chat, holy lol people actually thought this was cute and amusing and should be in a public docu about marvel and not that everything about this is horrifying (thread)

https://twitter.com/Matt_Sibley/status/1330172627529457664?s=19

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean by the standards of this thread, not meeting deadlines is kind of "meh".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno, not doing the work until your editor has to hire on a second to write your script for you, and then not even bothering to plot the book for your script writer until 2 days before the script is due seems pretty lovely. But I guess unless your a fascist you can get away with a lot nowadays

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I was wondering why Gage was credited scripting on the last arc of Superior.

Why the gently caress do they keep giving Slott all the highest profile books? At least when Greg Land gets major titles you know it's because you know the editors won't be standing around waiting for him to turn in pages.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the fact is the comic industry has let it get to this point- they've long been very tolerant of people missing deadlines so long as their name brings in sales, and they don't mind comics going months or years behind schedule to get there. The problem here seems to have been they actually wanted it to ship on schedule so they shouldn't have put someone who has chronic deadline issues on it.

Sure it's on Slott, but after the Wolverine v. Hulk debacle there are pretty much no standards at the Big Two.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He's not named by the thread author but did you not think that all that was also an indictment of breevort

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the fact is the comic industry has let it get to this point- they've long been very tolerant of people missing deadlines so long as their name brings in sales, and they don't mind comics going months or years behind schedule to get there. The problem here seems to have been they actually wanted it to ship on schedule so they shouldn't have put someone who has chronic deadline issues on it.

Sure it's on Slott, but after the Wolverine v. Hulk debacle there are pretty much no standards at the Big Two.

I thought the issue with Wolverine vs Hulk was mostly just that writing the tv show LOST paid way the gently caress better than comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think it was up to Nu-52 relaunch when both DC and Marvel were having deadline issues and as long as the creative team attached to the project were "names" there wasn't much else to do. All Star Batman and Robin is a famous one, as is Millar's Ultimates, Planetary, Wolverine vs Hulk, all of Kevin Smith's Marvel output etc.
With Nu-52 I think creative teams were patchworked and hacked apart to make sure comics came out in time to much detriment to the creative teams.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't New52 when we got one issue of a Wild Cats revamp by Morrison?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

That was 5 or 6 years prior.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I know that under no circumstances do you "gotta hand it" to Rob Liefeld, but he did turn in Hawk & Dove on time every month from what I remember.

Now sure, there were only 8 issues in total, but 3/4ths of a year's worth of on-time pencils is nothing to sneeze at.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

And either two or three of The Authority. Presumably he got caught up in taking a bunch of drugs and revolutionising the medium.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Grant Morrison stuff was from 2006, and was part of a big revamp of Wildstorm properties called "WORLDSTORM". It was announced fully at SDCC 2006 for a fall 2006 release and here's what was announced versus what came out:

WildCATS by Grant Morrison and Jim Lee Only one issue came out.
The Authority by Grant Morrison and Gene Ha Two issues came out by Morrison and Ha. In 2010 they published issues 3-12 with Keith Giffen working off of Morrison's remaining ten plot outlines and nine artists doing all or part of an issue.
Gen 13 by Gail Simone and Talent Caldwell: Gail Simone lasted 13 issues, Talent Caldwell drew 4 1/2 of them.
Stormwatch PHD by Christos Gage and Doug Mahnke: Christos Gage lasted 12 issues, Mahnke drew 1-4 and 6-7
Midnighter by Garth Ennis and Chris Sprouse: Garth Ennis wrote the first six issue arc, Sprouse drew issues 1-2, part of 3, and 5.
Deathblow by Brian Azzarello and Carlos D'Anda: Azzarello and D'Anda finished all nine issues of this series.
Wetworks by Mike Carey and Whilce Portacio: Carey lasted 9 issues, Portacio was gone by #7.

The departures of several of the above listed writers came when DC decided to re-relaunch Wildstorm as WORLD'S END barely a year after WORLDSTORM.

I can fully believe Morrison wandered off from the project, but given that from 2004-2008 (the first five years after he jumped back to DC from Marvel post-X-Men) you had Seaguy, WE3, Vimanarama, the entire Seven Soldiers series, All-Star Superman, his co-writing of 52, the first half of his Batman Run and the start of Final Crisis, I'm kind of willing to believe the two real holdups were:

a) Jim Lee, who in the same timeframe managed to draw... the back half of For Tomorrow, an issue of WildCATS and ten issues All-Star Batman and Robin came out over the course of multiple years.
b) DC almost immediately giving up of the big Wildstorm push, and probably deciding to just cut their losses and have creators focus on other stuff.

You saw a similar thing happen not too long afterwards over at Marvel when they started giving up on the Ultimate line after in the re-relaunch they did post-Ultimatum relaunch that did not 'take': "Ultimate Comics The Ultimates" was announced as Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic, but within a year they pulled Ribic off to to Thor: God of Thunder and Hickman had been given the Avengers books proper and Sam Humphries stepped in to write the next several issues based on Hickman's notes.

As for the New 52, their big gimmick was bragging about how all of their comics were actually going to come out on time, which generally led to a meat grinder of turnover. JordanKai is technically correct that Liefeld got through a whole arc, but the credits are kind of telling:

#1 - Rob Liefeld (pencils and inks)
#2 - Rob Liefeld (pencils and inks, additional inks by Adelso Corona)
#3 - Rob Liefeld (penciils and inks, additional inks by Adelso Corona and Jacob Bear)
#4 - Rob Liefeld (pencils and inks, additional inks by Adelso Corona)
#5 - Rob Liefeld (pencils and inks, 'pencil assists' by Marat Mychaels, inks by Adelso Corona)
#6 - Rob Liefeld (pencils and inks)
#7 - Rob Liefeld (pencils, 'pencil assists' by Marat Mychaels, inks by Jacob Bear and Adelso Corona)
#8 - Rob Liefeld (pencils, additional pencils by Marat Mychaels, inks by Jacob Bear and Aselso Corona)

And then the series was canceled. By effectively employing his own in-house studio, he did get the cover credit for eight consecutive issues.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 22, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are those Deathblow and Wetworks books collected anywhere in print? Those are some interesting creator combos I'd be interested in.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Are those Deathblow and Wetworks books collected anywhere in print? Those are some interesting creator combos I'd be interested in.
For whatever reason (DC's general disinterest in Wildstorm besides Grifter and the Authority I assume) none of it is digital, but they did trades at the time, and it looks like you can pick them up pretty cheap on Amazon, eBay, whatever.

Hilariously (at least to me), the Carey/Portacio Wetworks revival was originally introduced in the epilogue issue of COUP D'ETAT, the first attempt by DC to shake up and revive the Wildstorm line in 2003, featuring the Authority taking over the world(?). Then the book just disappeared from the schedule and almost three years and a couple of revivals later, it actually got published.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McCloud posted:

Pretty soon it will be impossible not to support Disney.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Pretty soon it will be impossible not to support Disney.

Disney is trying to buy the DNA kit companies so they will literally own us eventually.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was that Gen13 series the one after the rather dreadful Chris Claremont one?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Chris Claremont/Ale Garza* Gen 13 was from 2002, during the (first) "Eye of the Storm" relaunch/revamping. * like a lot of Wildstorm artists, Garza managed to draw issues 1-2, half of 3, 5-7, part of 7, and 13.

Other books launched in that initiative were Joe Casey's Wildcats 3.0, Point Blank (effectively Sleeper v0), Robbie Morrison and Dwayne Turner's the Authority (the first post-Ennis/Millar volume that everyone forgets, to be followed by many more), Stormwatch: Team Achilles (by Micah Ian "Stolen Valor" Wright), and the jaw-droppingly bad Automatic Kafka by Joe Casey and Ashley Wood. I may be forgetting a couple.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Chapterhouse is a troubled Canadian publisher, 'best known' for Captain Canuck.
https://twitter.com/hellocookie/status/1330590766364848129

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Squidster posted:

Chapterhouse is a troubled Canadian publisher, 'best known' for Captain Canuck.
https://twitter.com/hellocookie/status/1330590766364848129

Which publisher was it that owed an artist for one book and hired them for a second so they waited until the last day their art was due and sent over lovely xeroxed copies with big red "Xs" through every page and a note saying they'll send the actual pencils as soon as they get a check for the remaining balance wed on both books?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Stormwatch: Team Achilles (by Micah Ian "Stolen Valor" Wright),

Not that Wildstorm did themselves any favours by refusing to publish the final issue. Wright had already been paid for it, so all they achieved was loving over the readers.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Which publisher was it that owed an artist for one book and hired them for a second so they waited until the last day their art was due and sent over lovely xeroxed copies with big red "Xs" through every page and a note saying they'll send the actual pencils as soon as they get a check for the remaining balance wed on both books?

I have no idea but that story absolutely rules.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I have no idea but that story absolutely rules.

It's the kind of stunt that insures you won't get hired again, but then when you're not getting paid that's moot.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1330872928477589504?s=20

I guess it's hard for Disney to go after thin blue line chuds for using the Punisher logo in a super gross fashion when Disney's using it in an even grosser fashion.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Putting Mickey ears on a punisher skull logo feels like something I’d see in Mad Magazine and not a real logo used by Disney services.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well it's campus security, so it's the guys who got rejected from the police academy

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/CobraCommander/status/1300468828367921155?s=20

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think unarmed theme park security guards doing mickey mouse punisher coins is more obviously a joke than militarised racist police putting them on their cars as they go in to terrorise black neighbourhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fangz posted:

I think unarmed theme park security guards doing mickey mouse punisher coins is more obviously a joke than militarised racist police putting them on their cars as they go in to terrorise black neighbourhoods.

You've only seen the uniformed Disney guys. They have quite a few guys with guns running around, just look for the guys in suits in 110 degree weather who seem way too friendly.