Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I've noticed something in Idleon: the AFK calculation does it's best to simulate how quickly things will go during actual play, but I found one thing that boosts it that doesn't help active play.

The more active attacks you have in your hotbar, the higher your afk farming rate will be. This is true even if you had an attack that's mana inefficient - near as I can tell, even 1 active attack is able to use more mana than you can regenerate, so while playing actively you want to only use the most efficient spell. But if you're going to leave a character to offline idle, give it all the active attacks you can and you can see the kills/hour go up a good bit.

With that in mind, all attacks are always worth getting at least one point in to cheese the farming simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

postmodifier posted:

That being said, I discovered a ridiculous shaman build that shits out 7k damage basic attacks and she is currently dominating every single thing she sees in world 2, even coconuts, at only level 38??? Nerf incoming, probably.

I'm a bit curious as to what it would be, because I don't feel like there are that many skills that would be useful outside of the ones used in meta builds.

I'm thinking it has to do with either the +% damage on minigame, or +% damage on green vials. Or maybe both, actually. Is it just straight up taking advantage of the fact that all multipliers are multiplicative instead of additive now?

Also for that matter, for Bowman are you thinking of taking advantage of the newly buffed SpeedNA?

Manyorcas posted:

With that in mind, all attacks are always worth getting at least one point in to cheese the farming simulation.

There's also a special talent that boosts the effects of attack talents on your AFK gains. You get it from the World 1 boss.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 23, 2020

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Arzaac posted:

I'm a bit curious as to what it would be, because I don't feel like there are that many skills that would be useful outside of the ones used in meta builds.

I'm thinking it has to do with either the +% damage on minigame, or +% damage on green vials. Or maybe both, actually. Is it just straight up taking advantage of the fact that all multipliers are multiplicative instead of additive now?

Also for that matter, for Bowman are you thinking of taking advantage of the newly buffed SpeedNA?

The shaman build actually doesn't rely on shaman skills except for just buying 1 in each active for afk gains, like you just described in your post. It's more about using the tab 2 buyback talent to pump mage skills, once you're looking at like 100 extra talent points in that tab you can do some pretty nuts stuff. I'm definitely working on making as many vials green as I can, because that's a huge boost in damage once I have some breathing room with points.

The SpeedNA talent buff is pretty nice but the one I'm working on right now is about foregoing Have Another (since doubleshot doesn't do poo poo for offline gains) in order to do some wonky stuff with Piercing Arrow, it's gonna play havoc with the AFK calculations I think, but in practice it should be insane.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I can reliably beat the first boss now but my accuracy on my dude is so bad, it feels like only land 20% of my shots which makes the fight a MISERABLE slog, certainly doesn't make me want to grind it out everyday until I can kill it in a fifth the time.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah you want your accuracy around 175-180 to 100% hit that boss. If your accuracy is too low, invest some talent points in your secondary stat.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I don't know where to bring this up on their discord, but I think Accuracy is the one mechanic in this game that fundamentally is not good. All 4 of my characters have higher off-stats (wis on warrior, agi on mage, etc.) than main stats because you need to use so many talent points to hit those accuracy numbers. Accuracy was removed from a bunch of MMOs for exactly the same reason it's not fun here: it feels like an equipment/talent point tax and there's no benefit from going over the amount you need to fight mob x.

I'm not sure if those off-stats even need to do anything extra to still keep stats somewhat interesting - crit damage, crit %, and mana regeneration are still useful on all characters even if they're probably not as good as your main stat. But that's why it's your main stat!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I like it because it means pumping one family wide bonus stat for example str helps your miners mine and your archer main hit things

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've never been too upset by accuracy, but the weirdest thing I find here is that pumping your main stat is not a good idea. LIke, this is seriously the only MMO (or MMO-adjacent) where pumping your mainstat is, in fact, a really really bad idea and can really gently caress up your character build. In pretty much every other RPG, increasing your main damage stat is only a good thing and it's just so strange that it's not the case here.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

IdIeon: I just got to World 2 after finally biting the bullet on taking on the World 1 Boss and beating him with ease. Now I'm faced with having to get my Defense levels up to be able to the new mobs (currently taking 1 from Sand Pots and 5 from Mimics). Best I can figure, the best bang for my buck would be crafting a pair of 'Bleached Designer Wode Patch Pants', which would boost my Defense by 11, and which I'd just need some more Thread and Bleach Logs in order to do, rather than having to deal with Iron, which only my Main can actually mine at the moment. Is there some other item I should be attempting to farm/craft at this point instead of this plan?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo you have the wode pants? Yeah make those they’re the best pants you can possibly craft, and use good upgrade stones on them

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I've never been too upset by accuracy, but the weirdest thing I find here is that pumping your main stat is not a good idea. LIke, this is seriously the only MMO (or MMO-adjacent) where pumping your mainstat is, in fact, a really really bad idea and can really gently caress up your character build. In pretty much every other RPG, increasing your main damage stat is only a good thing and it's just so strange that it's not the case here.

Yeah, as a compromise between the current situation and completely removing accuracy at all, I think either lowering most of the accuracy requirements or giving more sources of it would also be good too. I currently have more +strength on my archer than any other tab 1 talent and I think that's a super weird situation to be in.

Mainstat also kind of has the general issue of benefiting both fighting and skilling, but it's not the best use of talent points for either it seems? Since specializing in one or the other is the only thing that makes sense it kind of puts it in a bad place.

Maybe stats should just come from levels and talents should just be the more specific effects, but any sort of 'fix' for this would probably require completely rebalancing the game.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Holy poo poo you have the wode pants? Yeah make those they’re the best pants you can possibly craft, and use good upgrade stones on them

Yeah, didn't even realize how rare a drop that was, pretty sure I just got them with my Main while attempting to unlock Gigafrogs (back when the portal took 10k kills). Looking through the Discord, I see lots of people bitching about trying to get the drop, so I'll just count my lucky stars and put everyone on Chopping duty, including my 5th guy, who I just unlocked.

Are the Armor Upgrade Stones II from the Jungle/Desert Towns sufficient, or are better ones available somewhere else?

Also,
1) Warrior (Main)
2) Warrior (Future Miner)
3) Mage (Future Chopper)
4) Archer (Future Rare Drop Hunter?)

5) Mage, right? (Future Alchemist?)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Armor upgrade 2 is good yeah. I’m jealous, those pants are super strong.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For what it's worth my gear set for world 2 with all characters was Class Weapon, Class Helmet, Iron Plate, Iron Pants, Bronze Boots, Carrot Horror, 2 Pugilist Rings, all upgraded with Armor Upgrade Stone II. If there's an easy way to get stronger upgrade stones than that, I don't know it.

Also you don't necessarily need 2 Mages, because 1 Mage can actively do Alchemy and Chopping at the same time. My team looks something like this:

1) Archer (Started as main, is Catchbot now)
2) Warrior (For mining)
3) Mage (Chopping, later alchemy too)
4) Warrior (Holy poo poo I still need more ore)
5) Archer (Rare drop archer)

I'm not sure what I'll do with my 6th, I might make another warrior just because mining's a bitch, or I might save him for the secret class that's not quite implemented yet.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m making my 5th dude a 3rd warrior

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
If you want a peek at what progression is going to look like about a month from now, the gear on anvil tab #2 is out-of-control expensive.

One of the quests that currently gates main story progression is to give someone 300 bullets.

One bullet costs 10 of the 4th type of wood, 10 of the first type of bug, and a single hot dog.

And that's just one example of the madness yet to come, so I actually highly recommend two of each class for your first 6 characters. As much as everyone is very much in the mindset that mining is super important (still true) it doesnt matter if you can collect the 80000 gold ore if you need to then spend two weeks farming bugs to spend it

Also two alchemy progression tips:

You need a fair amount of distilled water for crafting, the cost increases by 1 for every purchase but resets daily - if you buy a few cheap ones every day you'll have a solid stock by the time you need it

Buying extra vial rolls in the pay2win tab is comparatively expensive, but for a handful of gold you significantly increase the speed at which you can accumulate them

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I still disagree. Mining is just proportionately way harder than everything else, and it makes sense to have more miners than other characters.

Like yeah, 3000 jungle fibers does seem like a lot. My chopper managed to get 2000 in like a day, day and a half? Similarly with my catcher, who's been on bugs for a handful of days and I've gotten 5000 of them (probably more, because I've spent some of them on vials).

Meanwhile, my fulltime miner was sitting on gold for a similar amount of time, and I've got around 250 bars. For a full set of gold armor I'll want about 10 times that.

Like, having two of each class is certainly not going to hurt, especially when the new subclasses come out. But mining is just a way, way bigger bottleneck than any of the other skills, it's not even funny. Even with the enhanced requirements for tier 2 smithing, I'm only feeling pressure when it comes to getting ores. One chopper/catcher has been more than enough so far.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m a warrior main, leveling warriors is just way way easier for me because I already have all the twink gear

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still into Idleon but it's kind of a to-do when I open the game and have to flip through 4 (for now) different characters and run them back to camp to do stuff like make sure the anvil is still crafting things. I know there's town portal potions but you're still running all the way back to get to where you're idling and it kinda saps my will to open the app. Reading about the weirdness of the stats and what the next zone looks like I think I might be putting this one down for a bit.

I'm also simultaneously playing through Melvor right now and I'm loving the hell out of that!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

explosivo posted:

I'm still into Idleon but it's kind of a to-do when I open the game and have to flip through 4 (for now) different characters and run them back to camp to do stuff like make sure the anvil is still crafting things. I know there's town portal potions but you're still running all the way back to get to where you're idling and it kinda saps my will to open the app. Reading about the weirdness of the stats and what the next zone looks like I think I might be putting this one down for a bit.

I'm also simultaneously playing through Melvor right now and I'm loving the hell out of that!

Idleon would be a million times better without the faux-MMO exterior. Stop making me walk across all these pointless zones. Just let me teleport everywhere. There is zero reason to include that time cost in a game like this. I have tried to get into the game three separate times and I want to love it, but it's torture to be in town and know that I have to spend 90% of the gameplay just moving bodies to the right zone to do what I want.

I'm okay with basically every other design decision, but the one that taxes my time is unforgivable.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Take it easy dude, not everything has to be 100% efficient always, there's other idle games for that (the ones which look like spreadsheets)

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You do unlock the ability to get 1 map teleport per day from bribes, and you can get more from the gem shop. Would not be surprised if we get more ways to acquire them as well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Welp, one thing I didn't consider is that I'd need at least 23 inventory slots to be able to craft the Wode Pants... and I only have 19. Guess I have to go farm for some rare mob inventory drops, wheee.

e: Gah, and of course, I don't have enough inventory space to craft the 100 stack Chopping Bag without previously crafting the 50 stack Chopping Bag :negative:

Klungar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 23, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My experience has been that the snakeskin bag isn't too hard to get from snakes; I've gotten like 4 of them while trying to get the rare stamp there.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I guess I should probably look up some drop lists or something if there are rare drops out there I should try for to increase overall power. Stamps for instance seem pretty important.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Arzaac posted:

My experience has been that the snakeskin bag isn't too hard to get from snakes; I've gotten like 4 of them while trying to get the rare stamp there.

Can only be used once, to my knowledge, and would still leave me two short. I've been told beating Baba Yaga can drop one but I'm far away from being able to take them on.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I reached the second zone, where do I unlock the second class?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Agent355 posted:

I reached the second zone, where do I unlock the second class?

3rd desert map. You need 500 of the drop from that map's monsters, plus 250 kebabs from the store. Hold on to those, because they aren't used up for the quest, so you can store them in the bank for future characters.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Okay thanks, I'm still taking a bit too much chip damage from the second map's monsters so I guess I'm still a little ways off, have to find ways to eke out more defense then.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Definitely try to shore up your defense as much as you can (get the iron boots from the coliseum if you haven't already), but you're likely gonna have to just power through while still taking a little bit of damage. If the damage you're taking is low enough (or your HP is high enough), you can idle in an area for quite a bit of time as long as you're running a 50 stack of food.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arzaac posted:

3rd desert map. You need 500 of the drop from that map's monsters, plus 250 kebabs from the store. Hold on to those, because they aren't used up for the quest, so you can store them in the bank for future characters.

It's gotten reduced to 130 kebab/150 cakes. It might still say the old values in the Quest Helper, but the Codex has a different value. You can fix the Helper's display by hitting Remove from Helper/Add to Helper.

People on the discord yesterday were saying it might not be implemented on mobile yet, I'm playing on desktop and it was fine for me.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Melvor Idle is now on Steam, with a buying price. Anyone know if this is just a "support the devs" option, or do you get anything in game for it as opposed to playing the free version in browser?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Lone Goat posted:

It's gotten reduced to 130 kebab/150 cakes. It might still say the old values in the Quest Helper, but the Codex has a different value. You can fix the Helper's display by hitting Remove from Helper/Add to Helper.

People on the discord yesterday were saying it might not be implemented on mobile yet, I'm playing on desktop and it was fine for me.

I just did this today for my 4th/5th characters on mobile, so I can confirm that it's not here on mobile yet. I definitely checked both helper and codex while doing it.

Good to know it got reduced though, that makes it a lot more manageable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

KazigluBey posted:

Melvor Idle is now on Steam, with a buying price. Anyone know if this is just a "support the devs" option, or do you get anything in game for it as opposed to playing the free version in browser?
I think the only in-game change is you avoid browser throttling and ads. Otherwise it's support and achievements.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I opted to support the dev by buying the Android version. It's nice hopping back and forth between the browser and mobile clients depending on if I'm at my computer or not.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I think the only in-game change is you avoid browser throttling and ads. Otherwise it's support and achievements.

is it any good?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Agent355 posted:

is it any good?

No. The concept of the whole game is a bit broken.

What happens is you leave the game idle for weeks to become the universe's best logger/fisher/miner/chef/etc. Then you start getting into the combat part, which feels useless because you've already have a million adamantine swords. So who gives a poo poo when the goblins you fight drop the copper ones?

If it had more interaction between systems where progress in adventure mode unlocked trees / fishing spots / etc. That would have held the game together a lot better.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 24, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've been enjoying it for a couple of months. It's not a very active game, which suits me running it in the background at work for something to fiddle with while I wait for responses and progress bars, but having significant reworks of systems every couple of months has kept it pretty fresh and it has two different roguelike modes to fiddle around with if you want to play a little more actively.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hello idle friends. Sometimes I lurk here but the flavor text on Clockwork Pants made me laugh heartily and also made me realize that NGU is my game of the year. Many thanks to 4G. I can't wait for kiarrrash to encounter you all in the ITOPOD. Is it possible to encounter yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Penguin Patrol posted:

Hello idle friends. Sometimes I lurk here but the flavor text on Clockwork Pants made me laugh heartily and also made me realize that NGU is my game of the year. Many thanks to 4G. I can't wait for kiarrrash to encounter you all in the ITOPOD. Is it possible to encounter yourself?

pretty sure it's just a db table is names so I don't see why not

I'm just still tickled he used my joke name for tukkuns stealth itopod buy