Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I now regret not having picked up a gas mask. I could be outside planting the winter garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

every garden on the west coast is now a shade garden

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

smoke flavor is going to become a major part of the caloregon appellation

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do ashes blown in from somewhere else have the salts that pit ashes do, or is it all K?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I made like 50 quarts of tomato sauce and whatever, plus we dehydrated some. Thats enough. I harvested about 450lbs, probably left another 100lbs on the ground. Also made 16 qts of apple sauce from the neighbors trees. Whats left is mostly tiny tomatoes not worth dealing with. I cut all the plants to kill them so the pumpkins can finish up. I felt kind of bad, but I have given away about 200lbs to neighbors/friends.

My kids have really enjoyed playing tomato baseball, though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

how long did it take you to process all of those tomatoes??

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The main timesink is cooking down the sauce. I have a food mill but I made some batches without removing the skins (you dont have to, its a flavor consideration, and skin has all the nutrients anyway).

Basically, slice, throw into 4 gallon pot, heat up the tomatoes to smash them up, then simmer for like 12 hours overnight until volume is halfed or less. Can. Pressure canner takes about 30 minutes a batch of 7 quarts.

Took a couple weeks but not constant labor really. I did some crushed tomatoes but compared to sauce they take up a lot more jars for a lot less stuff overall.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ah ok if you're not de-skinning and de-seeding them all individually that's not insane.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Next year I'm going to do better successions and have a reasonable amount of food consistently for eating immediately, then some separate beds for canning, I think.

Will post plans on that in forever when I finish them.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

brugroffil posted:

Ah ok if you're not de-skinning and de-seeding them all individually that's not insane.

Oh yah I said gently caress that right off the bat. Tastes fine with them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

winter garden: trying some buckwheat, got spring onions, beets, brocolli, peas and, because they did so well during summer, an experimental patch of winter bush beans

wish I could be outside for more than 10 minutes w/out getting winded

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

placeholder, anemic winter garden start photos coming soon

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

all my other artichokes look like the one on the left. what's up with the one on the right?

winter peas

winter buckwheat

winter BEANS

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Prepping for next year, the first half is tilled up so I can throw cereal rye over it (seed on the way) which is a bit late but will still work/grow.

The grassy part in the back will also be turned over. I have room for 36 50 foot beds, not clear if I will go that far, though.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

it's generally a bad idea to use dog or cat poop directly as fertilizer, and you shouldn't really use cat poop at all

growing up there was a family that would illegally use shovels of “night soil” taken from the trailer park sewage plant that was nearby their site.

no. no thank you. I do not want any of your tomatoes.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pulled all the tomato plants out because it's frosty time

harvested all my green tomatoes, made a soup out of them and a pair of my winter squash. seasoned it with basically cincinnati chili spices. p good after it sat in the fridge over night

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Voice of Labor posted:

pulled all the tomato plants out because it's frosty time

harvested all my green tomatoes, made a soup out of them and a pair of my winter squash. seasoned it with basically cincinnati chili spices. p good after it sat in the fridge over night

yeah sweet and pepper is really good on winter squash. if I don’t know they’re sweet enough I go sugar, salt, and paprika/cayenne on acorn.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I should've planted a second row of peas. I should've planted more greens. I should've started the romanesco like 2 months earlier. I should've started the beets in pots because they all got eaten.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Are we posting our growing season regrets? Because I regret not planting things earlier and betterishly.

(I sincerely regret overdoing the number of different vegetables I decided to plant, this being year one. Also wish I'd planted more flowers.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I regret not suppressing weeds more proactively.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I regret not buying a better auto watering system because the cheapish rainbird I used stopped working and I had to harvest my beans, peanuts, and peppers early. 😡

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oops i bought a lil rose bush and fed it miracle gro all purpose like my peppers got. it totally filled out a 10'x8' trellis but hasn't put out a flower since april. i keep feeding too much nitrogen to things that don't want it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Apparently I didn't dry my used tea leaves enough before putting them into my herb plants. I ended up losing 4/6 of them to mold, including the mint one which was the herb I wanted the most. :negative:

I also inherited a revivable bonsai from a coworker and ended up completely forgetting to repot it so now it's actually dead. :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf how do you kill mint with moisture

It’s practically aquatic.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone doing their own composting itt?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

net work error posted:

yeah we just dumped our huge compost pile onto our garden, why

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

net work error posted:

yes

do I do it well is a different question

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how can you gently caress up composting

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

tossing in meat or grease is the quickest way too

the less dumb way to mess up composting is to include diseased plant material, weed seeds or other pathogens without having the compost get hot enough to kill all that stuff. Not turning the compost will get you anaerobic decomposition, which makes a pile unpleasant and means you lose out out on nitrogen that plants can uptake.

I guess you can mess it up by having the wrong ratio of "green" to "brown" material, or having the wrong moisture, so it doesn't really cook in the first place. It just breaks down slower, you still get compost eventually.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

i regret brutally and insanely destroying my back such that i had to abandon my community garden plot to the weeds

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I planted my tomatoes too close together and waited too long to start my windowsill peppers and chillies

And all the other stuff that died or got eaten by stuff that could have maybe gone better too

net work error posted:

When stuff dies and falls over and rots that's the same right?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wanted to see if those that were composting use compost starter or not. I was thinking about getting a little tumbler to try it out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just have a spot on the ground for banana peels and coffee grounds. jesus does the rest

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I built something that's about the third of the size of this 3 box compost bin and it's done me well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA6QNLaBEyc

first box for new stuff, second box for stuff that's starting to look good, and the third box for compost that's ready for a new world

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

my regret this year is that i let a volunteer squash and two tomatoes grow, thinking i could train them out of the bed, but they ended up crowding my basils and garlics anyway, and produced almost nothing

next year, any volunteers will be terminated with prejudice

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I regret not transplanting my heritage tomato seedlings outside sooner. They were much more prolific than the lovely tomato plants I bought from Lowes, even with the late start.

I started composting by repurposing wood from a scrapped secondary chicken coop. The project really took off when my friend donated several garbage bags full of horse poo poo. :dance:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe I shouldn’t have unsubscribed to the newspaper.

I got horse poo poo delivered to my door every day.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

net work error posted:

I wanted to see if those that were composting use compost starter or not. I was thinking about getting a little tumbler to try it out.

i wouldn't recommend one

but I've never composted with a tumbler, and in a small, isolated system it might be useful. i rely on critters to bring the good microorganisms to my pile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I football throw old vegetables and fruit into the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’ve approached like thirty tree crews so far and it’s got me ten dump loads of chips and one of logs.

I got a bunch of cardboard from work and we’re gonna see if it can smother thistles.

Are weeds kicking my rear end because I feed too much?

I can never find enough mulch did ancient farmers cart leaves around?