Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think the big Imperial titles should lose the ability to have vassals go to war externally. A big thing I notice with the Byzantines is that a powerful vassal will just start taking off little bites of Africa and before long they own most of it because no one can attack Byzantium to get it back.

Also while supplies are a thing they don't really mimic supply lines and the sheer logistical difficulty to fight on the fringe of your territory. I don't know how you correctly implement this, but I wish there was some better way to limit how far away you can attack/move troops from your capital. Also empires shouldn't get as many troops as they do, since there's just no way to model how empires couldn't marshal their whole strength, they were needed for defense. Maybe if they get war decced on they get more troops in defensive wars but can't use them in offensive?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

megane posted:

This is a big part of the problem, yeah. Exclaves are way, way too common, and it makes everything ridiculous -- you're trying to consolidate Egypt, but this single lovely chunk of desert has somehow been inherited by some loser Danish count buried three levels deep in the HRE, and now your options are to leave it there forever, or to fight the entire might of the loving empire and all its allies, because the Emperor will not hesitate to raise 100,000 guys and ship them 3000 miles around Europe to save the loser count's lovely chunk of desert.

Agreed fully on this, and I think there needs to be more "cost" to bringing allies into wars. Prestige cost becomes irrelevant for anyone that has a king or emperor level title and it's also ridiculous to be called into a war against peasants. I'm at the point where I hate having allies because I'm either constantly fighting 17 of their stupid wars or losing prestige because I say no or don't show up and the war lasts long enough that they get pissy about it. ERE once called me into 12 wars in a 12 year span, that's loving absurd.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There needs to be a way to get your kids married without entering an alliance.

All I want is your daughter's inheritable traits, not to be dragged into wars on the other side of Europe. Especially when my troops don't show up in time to get any war score.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just have a box on the marriage screen, “Negotiate Alliance”, defaults to checked, is greyed out if it’s not applicable

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magil Zeal posted:

I didn't notice it during the stream, but drat those positive congenital traits are super expensive. Of course if you're playing with mods there's little reason not to just add whatever you want, but if you wanted to be achievement-compatible it looks like setting up your character to be genetically awesome is pretty much a non-starter. Genius alone takes over half your budget.

If it's anything like CK2 I remember you could give your character a good congenital trait or two, and "Pay" for it by adding stuff like "Wounded" and "Ill, or low-impact negatice traits like arbitrary. That way you could start out with a genius ruler around 20 without too many drawbacks.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

If it's anything like CK2 I remember you could give your character a good congenital trait or two, and "Pay" for it by adding stuff like "Wounded" and "Ill, or low-impact negatice traits like arbitrary. That way you could start out with a genius ruler around 20 without too many drawbacks.

Didn't look to work out that way much in CK3's. Even terrible personality traits like Paranoid and Shy give only -10, while you're looking at +240 for Genius. Arbitrary is actually +30 in CK3. Typhus and Smallpox actually give 0, and even Cancer is only -10. Looks like you're not cheesing the point value by adding some temporary negative traits that you can offset with good health bonuses.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing as Norse culture and typically fighting the brits, french, etc

Sometimes when I win battles against them I get devotion, sometimes piety. Can someone explain why this is? Seems like piety is the currency for upgrading Faith, and devotion is like religious fame?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The X-man cometh posted:

There needs to be a way to get your kids married without entering an alliance.

The weird thing is that there was one in CK2 (eventually - I want to say it was with the Charlemagne patch?) and I have no idea why they rolled it back. Marriages gave a non-aggression pact that could be upgraded to alliances separately. Or

Jay Rust posted:

Just have a box on the marriage screen, “Negotiate Alliance”, defaults to checked, is greyed out if it’s not applicable

I kind of like this idea - maybe an alliance would be something you could offer as a sweetener as part of a marriage deal that can get you those last few acceptance points (especially if the AI ruler feels really threatened by somebody and is particularly seeking allies), or negotiate later on top of the in-law non-aggression pact, just as long as it isn't default.

Midgetskydiver posted:

I'm playing as Norse culture and typically fighting the brits, french, etc

Sometimes when I win battles against them I get devotion, sometimes piety. Can someone explain why this is? Seems like piety is the currency for upgrading Faith, and devotion is like religious fame?

You get devotion for battles in wars you declare (and maybe also wars in which you're the primary defender?), you get piety (which also gives you devotion) for battles against raiders or in your allies' wars etc. Same for fame/prestige when the opponents are of your religion.

I read Meneth saying that the idea is so you can't get the currency you need for declaring more wars from killfarming in the wars you declare.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 19, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That looks really cool, and I'm glad it's coming on Tuesday.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im playing a multiplayer game with my friends where one guy is the king and the other his vassals.

Just having your vassals all be on the same page and actually helping you makes you incredibly powerfull and we are bringing back Zoroastrianism in a big way

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Magil Zeal posted:

Didn't look to work out that way much in CK3's. Even terrible personality traits like Paranoid and Shy give only -10, while you're looking at +240 for Genius. Arbitrary is actually +30 in CK3. Typhus and Smallpox actually give 0, and even Cancer is only -10. Looks like you're not cheesing the point value by adding some temporary negative traits that you can offset with good health bonuses.

Shame. Ah well, congenital traits are much easier to obtain and retain in CK3, so just having intelligent or handsome to start with should take you a long way.

Edit: Anyone know if guests count towards the usual court size penalties for courtiers having children?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

You get devotion for battles in wars you declare (and maybe also wars in which you're the primary defender?), you get piety (which also gives you devotion) for battles against raiders or in your allies' wars etc. Same for fame/prestige when the opponents are of your religion.

I read Meneth saying that the idea is so you can't get the currency you need for declaring more wars from killfarming in the wars you declare.

You definitely get it from defending against Crusades, but it's possible that might be particular to Great Holy Wars.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

Seems like piety is the currency for upgrading Faith, and devotion is like religious fame?

Gaining Piety also gives you the same amount of Devotion. Think of Devotion as something like "total Piety gained over your lifetime"; if you gain a bunch of Piety and then spend it all, you'll still have the Devotion, so you're still seen as a holy person. When you gain Devotion by itself, that's like "unspendable Piety"; it contributes to your lifetime total, but you can't buy stuff with it.

Prestige/Fame is precisely the same relationship, by the way.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m wondering what they’ll do to make the game harder. As it is, it feels about as easy as 2019-era CK2, and each CK2 DLC made things easier. I’m looking forward to them fleshing the game out, but I’m worried it’ll be absurdly easy after a few DLC.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Steely Dad posted:

I’m wondering what they’ll do to make the game harder. As it is, it feels about as easy as 2019-era CK2, and each CK2 DLC made things easier. I’m looking forward to them fleshing the game out, but I’m worried it’ll be absurdly easy after a few DLC.

I'm given to understand many people thought Conclave made the game harder? I do think the "vassal" experience of CK3 needs some love, and that's a prime area that can also make the game harder.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
As I understand Ruler Designer doesn't have a point cap now. So you won't be able to get achievements but most hard achievements are probably locked from using ruler designer anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

megane posted:

This is a big part of the problem, yeah. Exclaves are way, way too common, and it makes everything ridiculous -- you're trying to consolidate Egypt, but this single lovely chunk of desert has somehow been inherited by some loser Danish count buried three levels deep in the HRE, and now your options are to leave it there forever, or to fight the entire might of the loving empire and all its allies, because the Emperor will not hesitate to raise 100,000 guys and ship them 3000 miles around Europe to save the loser count's lovely chunk of desert.

This is pretty much paradox's eternal problem, the AI has no sense of scale and "is it worth it to use all of my military might and wage total war to defend this single backwater province?" It's a constant problem in EU4.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ilitarist posted:

As I understand Ruler Designer doesn't have a point cap now. So you won't be able to get achievements but most hard achievements are probably locked from using ruler designer anyway.

It has a soft cap that if you stay under you are eligible for achievements, but there is no hard cap preventing you from making a 99 stat ruler.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
On the flip side, I'm a German duke who inherited a tiny county in Romania and the Empire automatically went to war to defend it from the Byzantines. I even got points with emperor for joining his war

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Makes me think that that achievement where you have to be a nude Emperor is going to be the easiest to get in the game. Just make yourself an Adamite/nude Jain Byzantine or Holy Roman Emperor and you've got it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I was saying to my friends that the further a county is from a capital that if someone captures it in a war the warscore should tick up faster for keeping it as long as its the goal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually agree that vassal wars make no sense for Byzantium but you need to add a more robust internal system it would make playing Byzantium insanely boring

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually agree that vassal wars make no sense for Byzantium but you need to add a more robust internal system it would make playing Byzantium insanely boring

I think allowing internal but not external would be something, so you could still do the hollow them out from the inside, but no going a conquering and having your superpowered overlord protect your gains forever. Or maybe just no non dejure wars for vassals of an empire?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

It would be cool to be able to "commission" your theme commanders to undertake campaigns outside the ERE's borders, so you don't end up with a bunch of theme commanders/dukes who take overall of Africa and Syria on their own initiative. That could also introduce instability when it comes to dividing up who gets the conquered land--the commander or the empire? Historically there's precedent for stuff like that, like the battles around the eastern frontier in the 900s IIRC. IDK how possible it would be to get a system like that actually in-game, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really hope they'll do an entire DLC centered around internal conflicts and drama.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Broken Cog posted:

I really hope they'll do an entire DLC centered around internal conflicts and drama.

same, by mid-game I never had problems with vassals even if I'm constantly at war, it only took a couple years after a succession to have everyone liking me enough.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

nothing like crushing a big rebellion to get all those rowdy vassals under control

plus you get to clean up any internal border gore in your realm in the aftermath

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When you successfully defend against a liberty war, do you get one free revoke title against each rebellious vassal, or just one free revoke title action period?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

When you successfully defend against a liberty war, do you get one free revoke title against each rebellious vassal, or just one free revoke title action period?

One revoke per vassal.

On a related note, what's the best way of cleaning up internal bordergore when your vassals get too conquest happy?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 22, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tyranny wars generally. Just pick someone who hates you and eat the penalty to trigger the faction.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah, wasn't aware there was a way to force rebellions, unless you mean just revoking random titles until someone gets fed up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh no that's what I mean. But you intentionally pick somebody with a 0% acceptance chance, and a member of a Liberty faction if one exists (they'll all join in)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Do tribal vassals turned into feudal vassals ever build holdings in their empty slots?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If they have the cash for it, yes. They're usually slow to get going though because they'll have very low incomes and few methods to boost it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wooooo

Probably going to take a break from Ironman, that took forever and so much effort.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I've read you can't declare war on your own claims when you're celibate and I can confirm this happens. Once I abandon celibacy I can use my claims. Bizzare.

Also sad I can't press all my claims at once.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Also sad I can't press all my claims at once.
There's eventually a tech that enables that. And then a later one that lets you do it for others I think

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

lurksion posted:

There's eventually a tech that enables that. And then a later one that lets you do it for others I think

Yeah, Divine Right works for your own claims. And it's pretty nice in combination with the "buy claims" perk, since you can claim multiple duchies in a big kingdom/empire and then just war for all of them. Costs a fair amount of prestige and piety though.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It's pretty annoying that you can't usurp a title of someone while they are at war. Honestly that seems like the perfect time to do it. And when someone's lost a chunk of power that's when everyone else starts warring on them so you may never get to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Did my first couple runs in Ireland and then I just started a game in Sri Lanka but it's way too stable and boring. Ireland I also had a suspiciously easy time taking over Britain and converting it to my batshit new religion that everyone just accepted for some reason.

Any runs recommended as challenging or notably different from Ireland? I'm experienced at ck2 but new to 3.