Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

She's still only eating the seeds/pellets, but we're making progress.

I feel so bad for her sometimes, she will engage when I engage, but I probably engage too much, and left to herself she'll just find her perch and stay there. Do I get her a (male) friend?

E: We're doing clicker training, and she'll get into it, but very very carefully, she's extremely cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Mine were picking the seeds off of fruit and veg until the strawberries.

Today we gave them just fruit and veg with no seeds, and they had a good go at it. Ill give them some seeds instead before bed, but they seemed to enjoy their spinach, chillis, cucumber and grape today.

They'll come onto the table for millet, but not our hands or even the sofa for it yet. We need to start training them i think.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Mine were picking the seeds off of fruit and veg until the strawberries.

Today we gave them just fruit and veg with no seeds, and they had a good go at it. Ill give them some seeds instead before bed, but they seemed to enjoy their spinach, chillis, cucumber and grape today.

They'll come onto the table for millet, but not our hands or even the sofa for it yet. We need to start training them i think.

Had a look and lol at the picture of Rain after some strawberry

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
If any of y'all want to try getting your budgies to eat pellets, I find it really helps if you soak them in water and mix veggies, greens and seeds in it. They're crazy for it - not so for pellets on their own.

rear end cobra posted:

I feel so bad for her sometimes, she will engage when I engage, but I probably engage too much, and left to herself she'll just find her perch and stay there. Do I get her a (male) friend?

I would throw out a lot of the assumptions you read online about female budgies. If I were to theoretically get Mayo another companion, I'd probably opt for a second female. Each bird is different, though.

And you can never really engage too much!

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 22, 2020

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If any of y'all want to try getting your budgies to eat pellets, I find it really helps if you soak them in water and mix veggies, greens and seeds in it. They're crazy for it - not so for pellets on their own.

Definitely going to give that a try. I figure the more varied their diet the better. Pellets, seeds and fruit & veg should be ideal right?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm thinking maybe this cage for bird number two:

Round cages have a bad reputation from those horrible old-timey canary cages, but Bird Tricks had a good youtube video on this one in particular, and my apartment is an at will free flying zone morning till night.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
if you get a male budgie just be ready for him to be screaming his brains out for some fucc once his bird nards kick in.

i know this because pesto

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rear end cobra posted:

She's still only eating the seeds/pellets, but we're making progress.

E: We're doing clicker training, and she'll get into it, but very very carefully, she's extremely cautious.

She’s so gorgeous.

bird, you gotta little somethin’, uh, all over there

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

rear end cobra posted:

Round cages have a bad reputation from those horrible old-timey canary cages, but Bird Tricks had a good youtube video on this one in particular, and my apartment is an at will free flying zone morning till night.

I need to know more about those cages and where they come from. I'm intrigued.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

you know they would if they could.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

you know they would if they could.

give them time, I’ve seen a couple of bird lectures at the local birb group where they nest them in the aviary inside of metal garbage cans and need to replace them every year or two because the parrots can opener the bottoms out

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

rear end cobra posted:

Doesn't look like it would contain projectile seed and poop very well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Doesn't look like it would contain projectile seed and poop very well.

lol grace manages to just squirt it out the side of a vertical one anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i like that it gives them way more surfaces for interesting climbing on the outside

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Came back home from the supermarket today and Pookie was sitting in the window, so I waved at her to say hi and she banged on the glass, stuck out her foot to wave and bounced her head up and down to emphasize the greeting.

She's such a sweet girl :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

Came back home from the supermarket today and Pookie was sitting in the window, so I waved at her to say hi and she banged on the glass, stuck out her foot to wave and bounced her head up and down to emphasize the greeting.

:3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

:kimchi:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Nok passed away peacefully today. He was 12 and a half and a Good Birb. I miss him very much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

birds posted:

Nok passed away peacefully today. He was 12 and a half and a Good Birb. I miss him very much.

this is so hard. my condolences, friend. i’ll definitely be thinking of you guys tonight.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

"Close the door. I'm poopin here!"

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Guess who just discovered the toilet lid has had hinges?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

birds posted:

I'm so sorry, losing a good birb is always painful, even if they are a little elderly. They are all small and precious.

Edit: Hannah, you leave the toilet ALONE, please do not eat the toilet seat, it will not end well you big silly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

Hannah, you leave the toilet ALONE, please do not eat the toilet seat, it will not end well you big silly.

by the look of that seat i believe this chastisement is too little too late

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a note to buy a replacement but I know he'll just destroy it. I need to look into one made of steel.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

birds posted:

I hope you're doing OK as can be expected. Losing a bird is devastating, but I'm sure you gave that Birb twelve years of severe happiness. :derptiel:

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

I don't post a lot (ever) but I wanted the thread to know that my GCC just snuggled up to my ear and cooed "You're a good boy" clear as day after two years of only quacking and yelling "berry" and "treat." I have melted and am now dead. Birds are the best, y'all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shipwrecks posted:

I don't post a lot (ever) but I wanted the thread to know that my GCC just snuggled up to my ear and cooed "You're a good boy" clear as day after two years of only quacking and yelling "berry" and "treat." I have melted and am now dead. Birds are the best, y'all.

aaaa :3:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Thank you everyone. It's a weird feeling. The circumstances of his passing was the best I could hope for in terms of setting and dignity so for that I'm glad. But even though as he got older and this day was expected, it still hurts so much. So it's a mix of sadness of his passing as well as celebration of his life and the moments we shared together.

Birds now no longer has a bird. This is still sinking in. :sigh:

birds fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 24, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

birds posted:

Thank you everyone. It's a weird feeling. The circumstances of his passing was the best I could hope for in terms of setting and dignity so for that I'm glad. But even though as he got older and this day was expected, it still hurts so much. So it's a mix of sadness of his passing as well as celebration of his life and the moments we shared together.

Birds now no longer has a bird. This is still sinking in. :sigh:

yeah it's hard to lose a friend, whatever their form. :sympathy:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not to make light of things, but i did come across a mystery today

what could have happened he...oh

https://imgur.com/Ei1eWhj.mp4

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

birb ate my homework

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Boy lovebirds do that. The girls turn the whole thing into long, perfectly uniform strips like a paper shredder in about the same time. Their efficiency and precision is quite alarming.

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

This picture is from months ago but I still love it.

I found a theme song for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbCamUHhVU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Welp, Serra had her second vet visit in a few months. Her first vet visit a few months ago caught her needing to lose five grams. She had her food restricted, slightly, to deal with it. But when I weighed her a week ago, she was 140g. How?!?!

Bad news - It isn't my scale. Serra managed to go from slightly overweight 128g to an obese 140g. The vet believes her being put on a restricted diet made her start gorging by quickly gobbling all her food up and keeping it in her crop. Apparently this is a way they can fatten themselves up if they think food supply is going to be an issue.

The vet doesn't want her food reduced any further, but wants her to have it split into two meals. I'm also to start putting iodine salt into her food three times a week. If she hasn't started to drop weight in thirty days, she is going on thyroid medicine.

Apparently thyroid issues are very common in cockatiels. The problem is that if she gets sick, her excess weight would make her liver unable to handle additional strain. If she got critically sick, she likely wouldn't make it.

While I'm terrified by all of this, the vet says we are doing the right thing and getting in front of the issue. It's better to fix it at three years old than when she is an eight year old getting sick all the time.

Tldr - Serra knew she went on a diet and managed to gain weight by being a doofus. We are going to fix it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Welp, Serra had her second vet visit in a few months. Her first vet visit a few months ago caught her needing to lose five grams. She had her food restricted, slightly, to deal with it. But when I weighed her a week ago, she was 140g. How?!?!

Bad news - It isn't my scale. Serra managed to go from slightly overweight 128g to an obese 140g. The vet believes her being put on a restricted diet made her start gorging by quickly gobbling all her food up and keeping it in her crop. Apparently this is a way they can fatten themselves up if they think food supply is going to be an issue.

The vet doesn't want her food reduced any further, but wants her to have it split into two meals. I'm also to start putting iodine salt into her food three times a week. If she hasn't started to drop weight in thirty days, she is going on thyroid medicine.

Apparently thyroid issues are very common in cockatiels. The problem is that if she gets sick, her excess weight would make her liver unable to handle additional strain. If she got critically sick, she likely wouldn't make it.

While I'm terrified by all of this, the vet says we are doing the right thing and getting in front of the issue. It's better to fix it at three years old than when she is an eight year old getting sick all the time.

Tldr - Serra knew she went on a diet and managed to gain weight by being a doofus. We are going to fix it.

oh man that's stressful, sorry to hear it. it sounds like you guys have all you need to stay on top of it, though. what kind of diet is she getting, out of curiosity?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

oh man that's stressful, sorry to hear it. it sounds like you guys have all you need to stay on top of it, though. what kind of diet is she getting, out of curiosity?

She is 80% on a specific Volkman diet seed blend, 20% Harrison's super fine pellets.

We are hoping to transition her more toward pellets, as the vet (avian certified, only one in the state) likes specific seed blends for specifically a growing cockatiel. But we aren't messing with it until the issue is under control.

I feel guilty, even if I have a vet telling me it isn't my fault. I think of all the treats she was snuck when she was younger, but her big time weight gain was long AFTER her treat habit got reigned in. Her being permanently hormonal apparently makes her think she needs to be very fat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Captain Log posted:

She is 80% on a specific Volkman diet seed blend, 20% Harrison's super fine pellets.

We are hoping to transition her more toward pellets, as the vet (avian certified, only one in the state) likes specific seed blends for specifically a growing cockatiel. But we aren't messing with it until the issue is under control.

I feel guilty, even if I have a vet telling me it isn't my fault. I think of all the treats she was snuck when she was younger, but her big time weight gain was long AFTER her treat habit got reigned in. Her being permanently hormonal apparently makes her think she needs to be very fat.

all of that's understandable. it's rough feeling like you did something wrong even when you didn't!

fortunately the modern pellet diets are formulated to be complete nutrition sources so as you progress in the future, you don't have to worry about her not getting enough or enough of the right stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Log posted:

Poor Sera!

She's really lucky to have people like you and your dad in her life. I know it's easy to blame yourself but you clearly care a lot about her and are working with a vet to get her healthy, that's all you can do.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Wasn't she always a bit neurotic when it comes to food and gorging? I remember you saying when you were visiting the breeder that she had a full crop as a baby and was begging for more!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I appreciate the kind words, everyone. :derptiel:

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Wasn't she always a bit neurotic when it comes to food and gorging? I remember you saying when you were visiting the breeder that she had a full crop as a baby and was begging for more!

Oh yes, that's her. I have video evidence. Apparently the two people I know who have her long lost sisters say they are the same way. (i.e. - FAT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZeNFHXbME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Australians, where's the best place to go cage shopping nowadays? I'm gunna need a new one for Shimi