Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Hot Diggity! posted:

An offense stalling happens. A defense allowing non-stop long drives despite having a lot of talent is a coaching problem.

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The defense isn’t good no but they stopped them enough and the turnovers did more damage than the poor defensive play at times.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Also the offense should have scored more than 3 points in the second half.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

LabyaMynora posted:

Packers need to give up on the MVS project. Dude’s fast, I get why they want him to be a thing, but holy gently caress is he garbage!

Never 4get the 80-name-tool receiving corps of Geronimo Allison, Marquez Valdez-Scantling, and Equanimious St.Brown

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CharlestheHammer posted:

The defense isn’t good no but they stopped them enough and the turnovers did more damage than the poor defensive play at times.

Turnovers are flukey. Packers have had awful fumble luck all season. How many plays did GB have in the third quarter? Like, 3 or 6?

Pettine's system is taking away plays over the top which...great, if you can force punts otherwise you do nothing but allow long drives.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Also the offense should have scored more than 3 points in the second half.

Loved them going for it on 4th and 1, hated the playcall. Got too cute going 3 TE and calling play action.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Loved them going for it on 4th and 1, hated the playcall. Got too cute going 3 TE and calling play action.

What is AJ Dillon for if not that exact situation?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Also not really sure what y'all want out of Packers Defense. We gave the Colts defense a short field three separate times. They came away with points once. This one is on the offense, full stop.

Styles Bitchley posted:

lol packers

even with ref help

Did you even watch the game?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What is AJ Dillon for if not that exact situation?

He's got COVID

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fennesz posted:

Also not really sure what y'all want out of Packers Defense. We gave the Colts defense a short field three separate times. They came away with points once. This one is on the offense, full stop.

The offense scored 31 points. Rodgers threw three touchdowns and led a 90 second drive to tie the game.

If this game was the offense's fault and we need to be dropping 40+ every game then why do we even bother trying to invest in the defense?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I thoroughly enjoyed the part of the game where MVS coughed up the football in overtime in Colts territory, and I encourage Aaron Rodgers to throw more footballs to him in crunch time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

The offense scored 31 points. Rodgers threw three touchdowns and led a 90 second drive to tie the game.

If this game was the offense's fault and we need to be dropping 40+ every game then why do we even bother trying to invest in the defense?

We asked this defense to hold a team to under 31 points despite turning it over three times on our own side of the field. They did pretty well at that, despite everything. Admittedly, the defense did have several broken coverages, and had we cleaned those up we probably would have won the game.

I just can't get the bad taste of so many unforced errors out of my mouth. Both sides of the ball, but I just expect so much more out of our offense. I guess I'm just used to offense = good, defense = bad I can't get over it when our offense isn't good enough.

e: Too bad there isn't a Bears game to make me feel better about myself. The Lions didn't do enough - I have Stafford and Hockenson on my fantasy roster :banjo:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Where does the Packers defense pass muster? Yards? They're bottom 10 for pass and rush yards. DVOA? They were 17th before this game -- not terrible, but not really what you expect out of a defense with this much free agent money tied up into it and like four or five homegrown first-rounders (Z Smith, P Smith, Amos, Gary, Clark, Alexander, Savage, King). Eye test? We all watched Pettine play the corners 10 yards off their man on 2nd and 4.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Where does the Packers defense pass muster? Yards? They're bottom 10 for pass and rush yards. DVOA? They were 17th before this game -- not terrible, but not really what you expect out of a defense with this much free agent money tied up into it and like four or five homegrown first-rounders (Z Smith, P Smith, Amos, Gary, Clark, Alexander, Savage, King). Eye test? We all watched Pettine play the corners 10 yards off their man on 2nd and 4.

I think this is the problem. If the packer's defense was 20th in DVOA but only had a handful of team resources tied up in it we'd all shrug our shoulders. But for over a decade virtually every resource of the packers has gone into the defense. Free agents, draft picks, etc and it's bottom 1/3rd of the league. Imagine those same resources going into the offense? Like, can the defense really be _worse_

Also the front office double down on having a million 6 foot secondary guys who can't tackle while the d-line is mediocre and the linebackers are actual rear end even year after year after year is driving me actually insane.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

fennesz posted:

We asked this defense to hold a team to under 31 points despite turning it over three times on our own side of the field. They did pretty well at that, despite everything. Admittedly, the defense did have several broken coverages, and had we cleaned those up we probably would have won the game.

I just can't get the bad taste of so many unforced errors out of my mouth. Both sides of the ball, but I just expect so much more out of our offense. I guess I'm just used to offense = good, defense = bad I can't get over it when our offense isn't good enough.

e: Too bad there isn't a Bears game to make me feel better about myself. The Lions didn't do enough - I have Stafford and Hockenson on my fantasy roster :banjo:

Said it before and will say it until Pettine is fired: leaving WRs open underneath on the snap leads to long drives. The offense as a whole was good. Turnovers that aren't picks are not something to count on for either team. The offense hung in it despite that. Linsley with a bad snap? Unexpected! WR fumble? Also unexpected! The only egregious offense turnover was the horrible Rodgers throw.

With the amount of money and picks invested in the defense you want them to make plays. The coaching has not put them in a position to succeed because they're basically playing light prevent every down. 4-5 on the line rushing the passer, including EDGE players. ILB / dime CB on TE and clean up duty. CBs and safeties in zone 10-20 yards off the line. Passes to the flat are always open as are slow developing crossing patterns that pass off the CB to the ILB. It's an easy formula to beat. We don't blitz and we don't press in short yardage situations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

While we're talking on the Packers defense, what the hell happened with Preston Smith? He's vanished this year but I occasionally see him in coverage. Did he decide he doesn't want to rush the passer anymore or what?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Packers defense is the fifth most expensive unit in the league: https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers defense is the fifth most expensive unit in the league: https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Yeah, that’s unacceptable. Is it over investing in bad players, or is it bad coaching/scheme at this point?

I feel like after 10 years of giving up big plays up the middle, it’s more than a personnel issue.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lions D is way too expensive at 14th.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I feel like Prater probably has PTSD from being constantly trotted out when they even sniff his maximum range because no one else can do poo poo.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

SKULL.GIF posted:

FIRE DOM CAPERS FAT MIKE THE OWNERS

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

sponges posted:

Cousins is the last QB you want leading a trying-to-win-the-game-from-behind-with-four-minutes-left drive

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I agree with all of your takes on the defense. Thinking back there are so, so many times it's a 2nd or 3rd and short and I see the guy lined up across from the receiver like 8+ yards deep. Ugh.

We need an elite defensive coordinator. Does Matt Nagy have a brother?

Styles Bitchley posted:

FIRE DOM CAPERS FAT MIKE THE OWNERS

The Packers owners have a shockingly high rate of DWI's. Shameful.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If it were up to the owners, Capers, McCarthy, Thompson, Gute, and Pettine would have been fired LONG AGO
And Rodgers, Adams, and Crosby would have been cut while Jeff Janis would have been given a lifetime contract.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
the most frustrating thing for me about the packers defense is that every time on 3rd and long they play so loving soft that its practically automatic the other team will either convert outright or have a 4th and short, which many teams are now going for and getting

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

fennesz posted:

I agree with all of your takes on the defense. Thinking back there are so, so many times it's a 2nd or 3rd and short and I see the guy lined up across from the receiver like 8+ yards deep. Ugh.

We need an elite defensive coordinator. Does Matt Nagy have a brother?

The Packers owners have a shockingly high rate of DWI's. Shameful.

And a majority of them voted for trump in 2016.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

OxySnake posted:

And a majority of them voted for trump in 2016.

That's probably true of most NFL owners.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

sweet geek swag posted:

That's probably true of most NFL owners.

Not All Owners

:colbert:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hey. Wisco went blue this time around. Credit where credit is due, previous fuckups notwithstanding.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HyperPuma posted:

the most frustrating thing for me about the packers defense is that every time on 3rd and long they play so loving soft that its practically automatic the other team will either convert outright or have a 4th and short, which many teams are now going for and getting

Yep, it’s this. 3rd & 8 is almost a guaranteed conversion every time. Then the defense gets tired. Gee, I wonder why.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30369970/packers-aaron-rodgers-matt-lafleur-defend-marquez-valdes-scantling-fumble-ot?platform=amp

quote:

That's Valdes-Scantling in a nutshell. An electrifying catch deep down the field one play. A maddening mistake the next.

"I know he's really hurting right now," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said after Sunday's 34-31 loss. "He made so many plays for us and not only in the pass game but in the run game, stuff that you guys probably don't even notice that we're not getting the yardage that we get if he's not blocking his rear end off.

"So I can live with MVS. I've got more confidence in him now than probably ever. I think he continues to get better each and every day. Every time we go out there, he's providing big plays."

"I can live with MVS and we're going to continue to live with him and just hope that he can continues to get better and better and better," LaFleur said. "And I've got all the confidence in the world in him."

Valdes-Scantling, who was not made available for postgame interviews, said in a tweet that he received death threats after the game but noted that his team had his back.

It was Valdes-Scantling's first career fumble in 42 games, but he has been plagued by drops and missed opportunities. He came into the game ranked 152nd among 153 qualified receivers in catch percentage (50%), according to ESPN Stats & information. He was below 50% until he caught four of his six targets against the Jaguars last week, and he ranks second among those receivers in drops (five).

So... MVS is someone that LaFleur “can live with” and he also ranks 152 out 153 in catch percentage and second in drops. :cripes:

It’s nice to see my gut feeling about him validated by numbers. I’d get it if he was a rookie, but dude’s on his third year.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I really have a hard time seeing the Packers outside of the NFC Champ. game again...
Sorry Pack fans.

e: ya lose one game to the Tits...maybe...

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What the hell, can’t say I came here expecting bitching about the defense when there was four freaking turnovers in the game they had to deal with while coming up with two of their own.

Anyway I don’t know why the Packers were clocking the ball in the last drive in regulation, especially the second time. There was more than enough time and it cost them an extra try for a touchdown. They are normally so good in those situations I was stunned. 42 seconds at the 15 and you clock the ball??

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I think the problem that is making people flip about the packers d is that all this happened against 500 year old phillip rivers

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

LabyaMynora posted:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30369970/packers-aaron-rodgers-matt-lafleur-defend-marquez-valdes-scantling-fumble-ot?platform=amp

So... MVS is someone that LaFleur “can live with” and he also ranks 152 out 153 in catch percentage and second in drops. :cripes:

It’s nice to see my gut feeling about him validated by numbers. I’d get it if he was a rookie, but dude’s on his third year.

In fairness, that was the question:

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1330689306348957697

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Yeah, the pass rush has disappeared again. Watching Z right now feels eerily similar to watching an older Clay Matthews ineffectively bashing against an average LT repeatedly. Preston and Gary have had one impact sack each the entire season. Any patient QB can dissect us with minimal effort.

The QB prep room for other teams consists of a yes/no button for the question ‘throw at 23?’ and after being hit with a rolled up newspaper a few times they figure out the secret.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hand Row posted:

Anyway I don’t know why the Packers were clocking the ball in the last drive in regulation, especially the second time. There was more than enough time and it cost them an extra try for a touchdown. They are normally so good in those situations I was stunned. 42 seconds at the 15 and you clock the ball??

I was really surprised at that as well. At the very least just get the guys to the line and throw a quick one to Davante at the sideline. You either get 8+ yards or it's incomplete and the clock stops.

LabyaMynora posted:

A coach is never going to say: "MVS isn't turning into the player we wanted. We see the effort, but we're not thinking the talent is there."

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020
As a bears fan, I like Green Bay at -7.5. We've switched QB's, offensive play callers, ect. Nothing has improved. It was a good run at the beginning of the season, but we got lucky. We never blew a team out or ran away with a game.

The conspirist in me thinks Nick stayed down at the end of that game to get out of this terrible losing streak. Nagy's plan didn't work. Time to switch back.

I saw barstool sports saying tonight there's still playoff hope because GB lost, but I can't see us beating anyone right now.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

I think it's fine to have an unreliable boom-or-bust type guy who you can just send out on various go routes and deep posts all game

trouble is you don't want that guy to be your #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler

sponges posted:

Cousins is the last QB you want leading a game winning drive

*steps back, head cocked to the side, paintbrush in hand*

c'est parfait